The Coca Cola Incident

Ice Maiden

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No - try ordering "Spy" - order many a time and every bleeding time a Sprite comes out.

I had the problem the opposite way. I asked my (now, thankfully ex-) girlfriend if she wanted a drink and she said 'Spy', so I asked if she wanted red white or Classic. 'No' she said, 'I want Spy', so I asked what colour this time.

'No', she said 'I want Spy' and so we went on for ages, with her getting more annoyed and me more exasperated.

Finally, when I was about to tear my hair out, someone said 'I bet she means Sprite' and sure enough he was right.

In fact, it was that incident which started the rot in the relationship ...

Had a good one this morning and was nearly late for work. The Mrs wants to go to the Supermarket today, whilst i'm at work. So i'm trying to explain to her what Bus to get and where to get off (her first time on a Bus in the UK). She needs to get off and change buses at "Bamford Barbers". 20 minutes later and she still couldn't say it, in the end i wrote it down on a big piece of paper and said "show the driver this" :o:D

The Thais just want, or need, to split up all words into syllables, both in English and in Thai.

Eg.

Taxi meter === Tax—ee—mee--trr :o

Super market === Soo—pa—mar--ket :D

And Thai words like

Udornthani ==== Oo—don—tan--ee :D

I find that if I follow their way of chopping up words it works quite well.

Oh! dont forget to mix up your L`s and R`s

I remember the times trying to get to my village called Don Nang Hong by songtaew.

Songtaew Driver: Pai Sai?

Gazza: Don Nang Hong.

S. Driver: Huh!!?

Gazza: Don Nang Hawng (trying a different pronounciation)

S. Driver: Nakhon Phanom?

Gazza: Mai. Dawn Naang Hong

S. Driver: That Phanom?

Gazza: Maaaiii. (sighs) Dawn Naang Hawng.

S. Driver: Ban Khwang?

Gazza: NO! (pulse quickening) Don NANG HONG.

S. Driver: Aw Hawww. Mai Ruu......Renu Nakhon?

Gazza: NOOOO!!! (temperature rising) DON NANG HONG!!!

S. Driver calls fellow songtaew driver over for assistance. Repeat conversation as above. While conversation is being repeated Gazza listens intently for the sound of a one baht coin dropping.

Then the coin drops.

S. Driver "Awww Hawwww! Don Nang Hong baw??"

Gazza: Ugh! (Loa for 'Yes')

Gazza arrives at the tambon of Don Nang Hong and approaches mc stand.

MC Taxi Driver: Pai Sai?

Gazza: Muubaan Koksawang.

MC Taxi Driver: Huh!????........

For the times that I hit on the right pronounciation they then assumed that I could speak fluent Thai or Lao and would throw a question at me.

Then it was my turn to say 'Huh!!???' :o

You know the Central shopping plaza. We say it Central but the Thais say it Centran. Go figure.!

That one might be because that most common Thai "L" letter, Lor Ling, is pronounced as an "N" when it is the ending conconant. A few other letters have different sounds whether they are initial or ending consonats. A popular seafood restaurant here is Nang Nual but is pronouced Nang Nuan. The Kings name is another example.

As The Coder mentioned , Spanish has some similar problems. When I worked in Panama I was in a McDonalds and they had "Big Mac" on the menu same as the US. My friend ordered one and they couldn't understand till he pointed it out, then they said "Oh! Beeg Mahk". Their vowels are only pronounced one way all the time which makes learing a bit easier for us but they have a hard time with the different vowel pronunciations.

yes and in france its le royale with cheese. :o

anyway, maybe you should use fewer english words to avoid having the poor natives decipher whole sentences like "excuse me old fellow, i was wondering if you could go fetch me a coke, i'm terribly parched and in need of a refreshment."

just say "coke"!

methinks .. when you guys farangs try to speak TH, its cute and adorable ..sound is longer than normal ( i know u try to add mor aaaaaaa oooooooooooooo eeeeee) :D example " phooom maii giin pheeeed kraaappp , phooom bpeeen faraaang naa kraaaaaap " :D

and anyway .. TH people try to understand u already ..yes sometime they might giggle :o , but its not becoz you' re a clown ... we giggle coz its cute ..

Bambi

I seldom receive a coke when I order one.

I always try to ask for it very slowly and politely, Bia Nueng Kuwat. For some reason they constantly missunderstand and bring me a Singha. Not being one to make a scene I always just smile and accept it. Sometime I even try it again and again.

It does seem to work better when I precede it first with the local word for please, Mekong. I usually get my Coke Ok then.

The funny thing is I wasn't trying to speak TH at the time! And I thought why the need to speak TH language in an american restraunt? The waiter was also doing a good job of his English when he asked me if I'd like a drink... Until I asked for diet coke :D

On another note though I've noticed in some restraunts the waiters and waitresses are learnt English but don't know the meaning of what they are saying somethimes :o

The worst word they are taught how to say is "Yes". Many a time I've ordered and the waitress has just said "yes yes yes" then brought the wrong food.

Another funny one I've noticed in Pattaya is in hotels and and restraunts and other places for that matter they are learnt how to say "Sir" many times they've said "Thankyou sir" or "Hello Sir" to me and some female friends of mine :D

ah yes the 'sir' thing - glad other ladies have experienced it as was beginning to doubt myself!

I quite like the thai for Central World Plaza - formerly World Trade Centre. Something like 'weeerr teeerrr'

Alternatively, Big C is near enough

You know the Central shopping plaza. We say it Central but the Thais say it Centran. Go figure.!

Apple is another. Appun. As mentioned, when such English words are written in Thai, the L at the end of a word sounds like an N. So why worry about letter for letter transliteration?

It doesn't come out sounding right at all. Why not just write it in Thai so it's pronounced Sentro or appo. Seems like that'd sound closer. Even trying to spell Thai words into English letters often comes out odd.

Vittayu = Wittayu

Sukhumvit = Sukhumwit

sawasdee = sawatdee

Dol = Dohn

I don't even wanna get into the myriad of spellings of Chatuchak

The word "ice" was mentioned. Admittedly, there are some English sounds that are hard for Thais to speak. But I'm more inclined to think it's because of how such words have been seen spelled in Thai. The "s" sound at the end of "ice" ends up being silent. They don't have a problem with the word "icy" (i-see). So for "ice" why not "i-sah".

The whole point of communication is to understand and be understood, whether Thai/English or English/Thai.

I can't say I've ever had a problem ordering a coke though, even out in the boonies. For those who frequently run into such a problem, perhaps one solution is to have it written out in Thai so if there's any confusion, you can just whip it out and let the person read it.

From their perspective I suppose they are thinking hard about listening for english words, and then just not expecting Thai to be spoken.

That seems to be the common problem, they are expecting to hear english. When on the phone I never have a problem with Thai, as I like to think I speak fairly well. Room service is a typical example.....dial the number order my meal or whatever, and ten minutes later it's there as ordered. I go to order the same, or similar dish in the restaurant, and disaster. It's pure association :o

Are there any other experiences of this with people who speak decent Thai?

Yes, I occasionally find a Thai I've spoken to for the first time can't figure out what I'm trying to say because s/he is expecting me to speak English. Once I've broken through that "disconnect" you mentioned, they understand me fine.

Ice Maiden, Just conferred with Mrs. Cobber and she tells me its:

Coooowk die et

So I guess I must say it the TH way in an american restraunt :D

Thankyou :D

Well you are in Thailand, all be it an American restaurant the waiter was Thai?

Yes the waiter was Thai. But he asked me the question in English so I gave him an English answer... :o

Edited by Ice Maiden

I find it help to qualify it.

If you say 'Kor Coke Nueng Kwat Krup' or 'Kor Coke Nueng Gow Krup' it seems to click for them easier - I guess if you say 'a bottle/glass of <bad Thai coke pronounciation>' that its any easy guess - narrows the field a little!

The amount of times I've answered in Thai to a Thai person asking me a question, only to receive a blank look! I check with the Mrs and she says the pronounciation is fine (assuming I can keep answeres away from Tigers/Shirts and Horses/Dogs!), its just they expect an English response. If I answer in English they don't understand either! TIT

I agree. I often had problems trying to order Coke. I tried Coooke , Cooooooooooke and so on but nothing worked until I added the qualifier "gaew neung" or "gaew lek".

Actually there is something about Thais not expecting foreigners to speak Thai. I have started conversations in Thai with Thai people and they have replied in Thai but after one or two sentences go over to English. I continue in English and after a few minutes they ask if I can speak Thai!!!!!!!!!!!

I've had many problems with Taxis (and buses) just going to Thong Lor or Ekamai. I try with many different tones but sometimes they don't seem to get it. If however I say Ekamai Soi XX or Thong Lor Soi XX they get it.

This thread reminds me of why I abandoned trying to learn Thai (not an excuse, just a memory). It's hard to find a stationary grasp and pronounciation of the language early on. When you are first learning, you go out there and order things according to how you were taught, and then no one understands coke ! :o

But to make matters worse, one day someone corrects me to say Saaaa thorn, and then the next someone says sAthorn :D

I think many of the problems lie in the fact that Thais don't hear English language very often. All movies are dubbed, most radio stations send in Thai etc. On top of that they certainly don't expect a foreigner to speak Thai.

I sometimes teach Business English in companies and if I mention the word "Invoice" they haven't a clue what I'm talking about. When I say "Invoiiie" they get it just like that.

In England (and I guess many other English speaking countries) we are used to foreigners trying to speak English so when a guy comes into a bar and orders a "Gysness" we know what it means. (Guiness for the non English readers) or that he wants a FuXX with his dinner we know he wants a FORK! Or there is a thick FuXX today (FOG).

Maybe in a few years when the thais get more used to hearing English they'll understand "Coke" "McDonalds" and so on.