Two Out Of Three National Id Database Servers Down, Crisis Imminent

george

Guess they better run over to Pantip Plaza in Bangkok and buy some more computers, hard drives and software. Or, maybe buy some new stuff off Ebay. Really a sad situation...all countries have their IT problems, but getting down to your last server for such a critical purpose...really sad situation.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's normal to have a backup Server ready configured just in case and a dedicated Build Server sitting on a Work Station to rapidly configure everything except permissions. The permissions and data are normally backed up onto tape.

It's a bit far fetched that the story is totally true given the strategic importance of the data and its access

now you're talking crazy talk.

Yes, logic and preparedness are not to be fooled with, could be very dangerous.

This is very convienient for the present government as this means that anyone who does not have their Thai id card to present for voting purpose can have a temporary "id card" made at the polling stations with "Photo" optional.

This means that a Thai can go to a polling station away from where they live and normally they have areas for people to vote who are not at their home town/village and can ask for a temporary piece of yellow paper to vote and then go out and eat and come back to vote again.

It aso means that the electorial votes cannot be counted fairly and can be delayed.

By law, polls must be held between 45 and 60 days after house dissolution. So if the count is delayed past the 45 to 60 day period the current government can be reinstated.

I do not need to tell anyone here what is on the plate now.

Many have said that Thaksin is corrupt and that the Abhisit government is much better however this is clear that he beats Thaksin on this one 110%

Can be reinstated as CARE TAKER Government, nothing more.

Or replaced by a royally appointed caretaker committee, something very unlikely.

This is classic bureaucratic incompetence in the 'face saving', 'don't move an inch unless ordered to', ministry world in Thailand. Now that someone HAS leaked this to the press, there will now be an order to MOVE, from caretaker PM or lower. And likely an half-assed investigation on who leaked it, that will go nowhere.

Is this the election killer or some maneuver to delay the election?

Not at all likely, since the system isn't dead, but it is not backed up properly. This is just a leaker in a ministry giving an anonymous public warning, without having to tell his boss to his face that he has procrastinated to the bloody edge and beyond.

Conspiracy? No.

Just face saving stupidity causing face losing stupidity.

Edited by animatic

I am not a fan of the government, but I very much doubt they would orchestrate this. At least they would wait until a lot closer to the election if it was a plot to undermine the election.

I used to be disgusted.....Now I'm just amused.

TIT

But since their wings have got rusted,

you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain,

that's when I knew that I could not refuse.

And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

Last backup server? Well, I have heard about backing up data on tapes, DVD's, external HD's and such - have they? - Wouldn't be surprised if tomorrows news were about only having hardcopy data left, which also was mostly gone.

I am not a fan of the government, but I very much doubt they would orchestrate this. At least they would wait until a lot closer to the election if it was a plot to undermine the election.

Correct, way to much time to fix it.

And besides to X off the lists a certain number of Red Shirts, would be much better done quietly, and not discovered or commented on till well AFTER the election. This is a ministry cockup way down the pay grade from any minister. More likely those underneath were to scared to tell the minister bad news, like budget needs to get dipped into. TIT IT

Last backup server? Well, I have heard about backing up data on tapes, DVD's, external HD's and such - have they? - Wouldn't be surprised if tomorrows news were about only having hardcopy data left, which also was mostly gone.

It's on the hard disks of ALL three servers,

unless they had no RAID allocation on those servers it is duplicated on

2 disks per main target disk times the number of server disks

on three different servers.

The data is there, but they are too plotzed to access it.

Edited by animatic

Never mind. Most Thai's can use thei thumb prints or mark an X.

They never lost the requisition order just before the disollution of parliament for the fighter jets, submarines, and tanks though.

As James Hacker in "Yes Prime Minister" 1970's UK sitcom would say... to lose one can be seen as a mistake, but to lose two is carelessness.

Almost unbelievable. I can't but think that upcoming elections and the inability to count are just coincidence. This is just too weird to be normal, even here. Gonna' be interesting to see how this is resolved.

Procurement to replace the broken servers were still ongoing.

Now I wonder if this procurement process is part of the Interior Ministry computer scandal that led Abhisit to halt the procurement process back in September 2010

http://www.thailando...?DataID=1035180

One Mongkol Surasajja, known to be friendly with a certain Mr. Newin, who has no influence over politics whatsoever since being banned, leapfrogged his way up the Interior Ministry career structure until he found himself the permanent Director of the Interior, at least for a short while until he was implicated in the Interior Ministry 3.4-billion baht computer leasing project scandal. Even Abhsit couldn't pull an Horatio Nelson on this one and Mongkol was sidelined into a Director General post in the Provincial Administration Department where he is currently causing mischief by signing Dept.Chiefs transfer orders allegedly favouring the BJP in the forthcoming elections. Thieves never prosper, so I hear?

Oh, and that probe into the scandal that Abhsit ordered last September, the one he said would be concluded in one month - anybody heard any more?

That's what happens when you build your entire system on bootleg / cracked software.

:cheesy: Tokay, you always impress me. I like the way you think. ....entire system on bootleg...good one.

A few times I am not sure if I agree with you, most of the time I do agree with you, but always,I like your style; short responses, to the point, and well put. Keep coming back.

-David

Who is surprised. Just look at how they ISP's mismanage everything. And of course nobody wants to lose face and hire any foreigners to fix the problems.

Maybe they need to enforce a rule of no halo or warcraft games during work hours.

Just don't install Windows servers, problem solved.

You sound real smart.. but world of warcraft runs on linux too. So not installing windows does not solve your problem.

How <deleted> hard is it to replace a server?

I swear, the Thais must have contracted out their IT to my employer. My company has had a massive problem for the past 3 months with its servers. Maybe they need to enforce a rule of no halo or warcraft games during work hours.

You got it; you hit the nail right on the head.

I walk through offices and never fails to see many of the computers logged on to the same sales bullshit for females – dresses, shoes, handbags, lingerie, to name but some, female employees are all window shopping and comparing items and in the process tying up servers. I figured to fix the problem of online as slow as molasses so I changed to ipStar. Well for a while it worked, but then more and more companies changed on to ipStar and during working hours it is now the same as when I was on a landline, slow as molasses. By now I do my entire internet searching after 2000 hour when the window shopping ladies have left the office and gone home to gape at the idiot box.

ISA servers did the trick at 5 college campuses.