Rubber Trees

We are tapping 800 approx, but hope to open some more this year.

Wow that's great you are getting great flow off that.You got 4 gallon buckets under your trees to catch the flow?LOLcheesy.gif Edited by cobbler

FWIW I happened to ask one of our friends what clones she was selling. 251, 600, and I missed the last 300 something..

Hi Mosha,Have you had any rain down there in the last 3 weeks.We've had nothing.It's much dryer this year than last year.Our mats have really dropped off compared to last year

See answer #560 sad.png Actually last night we got enough for 26 sheets this morning. Wife is thinking of getting bigger cups,

http://www.tmd.go.th...vince.php?id=74

Normal year to date about 750mm this year to date 1,180mm

Wow we've had 319MM this year till now

Please not another year like last year. 2 wet weeks, then 2 dry days. Just to have the rain come pouring down, just hours after our tapper had cut the trees. sad.png

Yes Mate,Not to mention the pricesbah.gif

Hey MAte I saw a thing on utube .In Sri Lanka or some place They use what looks like an umberella around the tree above the spot you cut.Looks very simple and very effective.Could be good for yoyu

Hi to all.

We are trying to supplement our income.So we (wife and I)looked around and asked a lot of questions.

Banana trees.are what some people do.We looked and checked out 1 farm with massive nam wa growing between the rubber trees.Also down near Chumpon we saw some finger bananas growing in amongst the yang.

Middle men will come to the farm and give us 7baht per kilo,(Our friend averages 100baht per tree) and middle men do the work.Local resturants will come and cut and buy the flowers for 2 baht each.Seems like money for nothing as the banana trees get free fertilizer from the rubber trees.So we went to Sukothai and got 345 small nam wa trees from a friend of my wife's for 3baht each and our Myanmar worker planted them.They are showing growth slowly.Within 1.5 years we should be able to harvest.We will go back to Sukothai soon and get another 700.1 banana tree for every rubber tree.Total of 1000 trees x 100 baht per tree is good extra money.Also we were told within 4 years can have a harvest every month.Giving us an extra income off this farm of not less than 300,000baht per year.

Also if you have 100 trees (1000 KG)of bananas ready to sell.I'm thinking ,load up the ford and sell them for 14baht per kilo at the banana market in southern Bangkok.Well worth the trip.

Another good 1 is paw paw.We will do this on our mountain(cliff face )yang farm.We are just waiting for the wet season to start

Anybody had a go at this or like to try.Please give us a message and let us know how you are going.Maybe we can compare notes and learn from each other.

Cheers and good luck to all and may your liquid gold over flow your cups wink.png

Hi all I am back again from my very expensive trip to OZ. Was glad to get out of the place. Anyway cobbler, bananas may sound good, but nothing grows under a rubber canopy. Once your trees start to spread your bananas will die.

On another point, I am begining to think that planting rubber now may not be as good an idea as some people believe. Where I live the back of beyond, I am 4 tappers short this year. We have had to leave 16 rai untapped and another 30 as cup rubber,no one to make pancakes. Tried to get someone to collect the cup from 700 trees, not a hard job just walk around and throw the cup into a bag, maybe 2 or3 hours. Best offer 1000 Baht, no one wants to work and if it's like that now how much will they want in 7 years.

As a PS if anyone knows of a family of rubber tappers PM me. Jim

snapback.pngtothemark, on 2012-05-11 10:36:02, said:

cdmtdm

Doing fine, growing fast thats for sure, if i get some pics sorted i'll try and upload. It will be interesting to see how they mature in the different soils, having just dug some ponds, the red clay dykes have had some jvp's planted on them, i am not expecting much from those but it s going to be interesting to compare the growth with those planted on the alluvial deposits.

ok cheers look forward to the pics mate

Hi cdmtdm,

Guys, i know its boring looking at rubber pics, so bare with me on this smile.png Its only because JVP80 is relatively new that I think its worthwhile giving feedback on it just in case it bombs lol

post-90233-0-61965500-1337600991_thumb.j

post-90233-0-67122200-1337601644_thumb.j

The two young rubber in the foreground of the first pic are both "real" jvp80 planted probably 8 months ago, note the more pear drop shape to the leaf and a larger canopy overall to the second pic which is a "fake" jvp80 and could be anything.

cheers for the pics , yes def see the difference in leaf ... hope they take off and do as promised ....

Hi to all.

We are trying to supplement our income.So we (wife and I)looked around and asked a lot of questions.

Banana trees.are what some people do.We looked and checked out 1 farm with massive nam wa growing between the rubber trees.Also down near Chumpon we saw some finger bananas growing in amongst the yang.

Middle men will come to the farm and give us 7baht per kilo,(Our friend averages 100baht per tree) and middle men do the work.Local resturants will come and cut and buy the flowers for 2 baht each.Seems like money for nothing as the banana trees get free fertilizer from the rubber trees.So we went to Sukothai and got 345 small nam wa trees from a friend of my wife's for 3baht each and our Myanmar worker planted them.They are showing growth slowly.Within 1.5 years we should be able to harvest.We will go back to Sukothai soon and get another 700.1 banana tree for every rubber tree.Total of 1000 trees x 100 baht per tree is good extra money.Also we were told within 4 years can have a harvest every month.Giving us an extra income off this farm of not less than 300,000baht per year.

Also if you have 100 trees (1000 KG)of bananas ready to sell.I'm thinking ,load up the ford and sell them for 14baht per kilo at the banana market in southern Bangkok.Well worth the trip.

Another good 1 is paw paw.We will do this on our mountain(cliff face )yang farm.We are just waiting for the wet season to start

Anybody had a go at this or like to try.Please give us a message and let us know how you are going.Maybe we can compare notes and learn from each other.

Cheers and good luck to all and may your liquid gold over flow your cups wink.png

Hi all I am back again from my very expensive trip to OZ. Was glad to get out of the place. Anyway cobbler, bananas may sound good, but nothing grows under a rubber canopy. Once your trees start to spread your bananas will die.

On another point, I am begining to think that planting rubber now may not be as good an idea as some people believe. Where I live the back of beyond, I am 4 tappers short this year. We have had to leave 16 rai untapped and another 30 as cup rubber,no one to make pancakes. Tried to get someone to collect the cup from 700 trees, not a hard job just walk around and throw the cup into a bag, maybe 2 or3 hours. Best offer 1000 Baht, no one wants to work and if it's like that now how much will they want in 7 years.

Hi Jim where approx are you located ?

Hi to all.

Near the Lao / Cambodia border. if you google Ban Sang Hom Buntharik that will show you. Jim

I did some googling on tapping systems and methods recently. I think it was the Malaysian gov site that promoted tapping every third day and said the output was only slightly less than more frequent tapping but of course the labor cost was significantly less. I haven't been doing it long enough to validate or know from experience yet. Anyone else know?

a friend around me (who does not have rubber) says he remembers seeing a sealed bag puncture tapping system, I may have queried about that before. the person who invents a way to cut labor costs/bodies needed will be the real rich one.

Hi to all.

Near the Lao / Cambodia border. if you google Ban Sang Hom Buntharik that will show you. Jim

HI

And what will the price of rubber / oil be in 7 years from now, we dont know but for sure higher than today. the same goes for the land where we have our rubber on. We are south of Udonthani where we can buy farm land at about 40000 tbh / rai. you add about 20000 to 30000 for planting and fertilizer during the next 7 years. that gives you a rough cost of about 70000 tbh / rai. 7 years from now you will be able to sell 1 rai for at least 150000 tbh. This is about 14% return on investment / year. It is like if you place 70000 tbh in the bank and get 14% interest rate every year for 7 years (i can live with that).

Jim, if you want to sell or buy 6 to 8 year old rubber tree land what is the price in youre area??, 100000 to 130000, i would guess??

Others pleas also inform all of us about rubber tree plantation price / rai?

My wife's brother sold 10 rai of 5 year old rubber 2 to 3 years ago and got 100000 tbh / rai.

Hi to all.

Hi Jim.Maybe up in your area nothing grows under the canopy.That's also what I thought too,originally.But! After seeing banana trees with huge trunks and and massive bananas to sell I thought it well worth a go..Time will tell.Not long ago during the closed season.The government down at Chumpon had a weekend dedicated to teaching yang farmers what they can grow in amongst the mature yang to add extra income.A lot of things grow under the canopy of the jungle in the wild.The same applies in the yang.Of course you have to take into consideration.Rainfall weather soil,ect,ect.

I know of Myanma workers looking for jobs.If you like ,Maybe I can help you get some.I can tell you our Myanma workers are excellent and Honest.What is your percentage worker to owner.how old are the trees,how many trees,how many mats a day and how many rai will they be tapping?Is the 16 rai close to the 30 rai?Because 2 tappers could do the lot.I doubt a person would go there just for 16 rai.As they wouldn't get enough money off it to feed themselves.But add the 16 rai and the 30 rai together and they would do well.I know if they can't make a living they will just walk away.

Cheers Cobbler

P.s. What did you mean by spread.

Edited by cobbler

Cobbler, we have Pakrian (spelling) Growing up to about 30' into our rubber trees on the road side of our plot. Should grow over where you are.

Thanks for that Mosha.I'm just a dumbass.So I asked my accountant, business adviser, cook and best freind ''what it is?'' . and she explained to me..''Our neighbour next to our mountain farm grows this in his Yang farm.''Yes ,could be good''

We had 5mm rain yesterday.I want a lot more than that I won't settle for less than 15 or 20mm.I hope

Cobbler, we have Pakrian (spelling) Growing up to about 30' into our rubber trees on the road side of our plot. Should grow over where you are.

Thanks for that Mosha.I'm just a dumbass.So I asked my accountant, business adviser, cook and best freind ''what it is?'' . and she explained to me..''Our neighbour next to our mountain farm grows this in his Yang farm.''Yes ,could be good''

We had 5mm rain yesterday.I want a lot more than that I won't settle for less than 15 or 20mm.I hope

By the way ,what do you mean by 30''?

Hi to all.

Jim,

The current system of Rubber tapping used in Thailand relies on very high labour availability & low labour cost per hour.

This was something I mentioned briefly on this thread several months ago.

Malaysia has already changed to different tapping systems due to reduced availability of labour & rising labour costs.

In Thailand the key meteric normally quoted is Kg / Rai / Year.

In the future this will change to g / tree / tap. (This factors in the labour cost).

The systems already exist to achieve good financial returns with less labour availability, and higher labour costs.

Changing to these systems in Thailand is pretty much guaranteed, it is simply a question of when.

Hi Jim,

Try not to get disheartened farming is up and down.Try not to worry too much about it.Thailand has had rubber trees for 101 years.and they are now planning to build a tire factory.If the rubber future wasn't looking very bright they wouldn't be doing this.I was stressed about not being able to find tappers.My wife just laughed and said.''Myanmar breed like rats,no problem to get workers''

Have a great year,Cheers Cobbler

Hi to all.

Jim,

The current system of Rubber tapping used in Thailand relies on very high labour availability & low labour cost per hour.

Malaysia has already changed to different tapping systems due to reduced availability of labour & rising labour costs.

In the future this will change to g / tree / tap. (This factors in the labour cost).

The systems already exist to achieve good financial returns with less labour availability, and higher labour costs.

Changing to these systems in Thailand is pretty much guaranteed, it is simply a question of when.

Not until Myanmar stop breeding like ratscheesy.gif I know people down here .If they are not happy with a worker for what ever reason ,they just pay what is owed and kick them out on the spot.next ,next ,next,until they find a good 1.That's how many Myanmar there are.biggrin.png

Bye the way Mosha .Do you pick it every day?Pakrian or paklian is easy to grow(famous last words)laugh.png

We also saw Coffee in yang but not sure how probuctive it is.A person said it eats all the fertiliza for the yang.Have you seen this at all?

Cheers , Cobbler

Hi to all.

Jim,

Hey Jim ,What's your address That's easy money.I'll come and do it myself.clap2.gif

Cheers Cobbler

Hi the use of tappers from Burma would be great, but the locals will not let them live here. They hate outsiders, this may be a big rubber area but the next money maker comes over the land border from Lao. Not unusual to see people carrying military firearms in the jungle or in the village at times.

Sometimes I do get pissed off by the attitude of the local [workers], but unlike you rich farangs out there, rubber is how I make my living and being short 4 workers at the start of the season, will cost me around 60 to 90,000 Baht a month during the high output times. As I said before I am not here to live as a native. I want my nice house, big car, unlimited beer and private school for the kids.

Anyway this happens every year and we get by TIT

As for land prices here, the word crazy would be apt. Farm land no title or bad tile that can not legally be sold, 50 to 150,000 a rai. Land with charnot, of which there is none except along the main 2248 road, asking prices 500,000 to 1 mil per rai, Again the local don't get it, just because a company pays 1 mil per rai for land to build something doesn't mean everything is worth a mil, but they will not sell for less.

As for bananas under rubber, like to see a photo, on my plantations not even grass grows during the season, it's dark. Jim

HI All

what info / cost do you have for farm land in youre area??

(earlier i said 40000 to 50000 / rai,, 1 hour south east of udonthani, and that is with chanot)

As i asked before what is the price for 1 rai land with 6 to 8 year old rubber trees on it in youre area??

No one sells good trees that are being tapped, wife's friend from Uni, rich Thai/Chinese paid 25 mil for an operating 100 rai plantation. May sound a lot of money, but these people are rich in western standards, own factories apartment blocks etc and take a long term view on investments. Best of luck finding a deal where you get good trees and a good land title. Really if a seller is in real need of cash he can go to the bank, same as any business in the west that is doing well. Jim

Hi Jim,

Good to get your feedback about the situation up in your area as far as workers go.Or should I say,''Sorry to hear about it''Sounds like a regular mafia .I think you've got it all sorted out though.You sound like you've had a lot of experience .Much more knowledge than I will ever have.By the way ,I'm far from a rich farang.6 years ago when I met my wife I was living in a caravan.I had nothing.Lost everything.I'm just a separated father in Australia with less rights than a drug addict .(gee wiz I wonder why I left the place)We live 100% on what we get off this yang.I'm just lucky she married me.Her family just let us have this 40Rai of yang.Although we don't have your money , we have a good enough life style.We are happy with it.(We are not jealous of any rich farang mind you,good luck to them.)I love Thailand.My wife really saved my life.Thailand has been very good to me.

Having said all that it's human nature to want to do a bit better.So that's why we try to invent more ways to grow a bit of extra something.I have seen farms very dark inside the same as yours,and for sure nothing would grow there.Ours are not like that ,that's why we think we can grow something extra.Time will tell.If it's not successful I don't care ,I've come here and am very happy with whatever comes to me.

Cheers Cobbler

Hi Jim,

Good to get your feedback about the situation up in your area as far as workers go.Or should I say,''Sorry to hear about it''Sounds like a regular mafia .I think you've got it all sorted out though.You sound like you've had a lot of experience .Much more knowledge than I will ever have.By the way ,I'm far from a rich farang.6 years ago when I met my wife I was living in a caravan.I had nothing.Lost everything.I'm just a separated father in Australia with less rights than a drug addict .(gee wiz I wonder why I left the place)We live 100% on what we get off this yang.I'm just lucky she married me.Her family just let us have this 40Rai of yang.Although we don't have your money , we have a good enough life style.We are happy with it.(We are not jealous of any rich farang mind you,good luck to them.)I love Thailand.My wife really saved my life.Thailand has been very good to me.

Having said all that it's human nature to want to do a bit better.So that's why we try to invent more ways to grow a bit of extra something.I have seen farms very dark inside the same as yours,and for sure nothing would grow there.Ours are not like that ,that's why we think we can grow something extra.Time will tell.If it's not successful I don't care ,I've come here and am very happy with whatever comes to me.

Cheers Cobbler

Cobbler, your idea to grow banana trees between the rubber trees intrigues me, I think it's certainly possible for the first 4 or 5 years of the rubber trees' life. But I'm not sure in Udon where I could find banana offshoots for 3 baht each as you did in Sukothai. What is the 'paklian' plant you talk about? Could you get your wife to type out the word in Thai?

All the best.

bannork.

Hi Jim,

Cheers Cobbler

Cobbler, your idea to grow banana trees between the rubber trees intrigues me, I think it's certainly possible for the first 4 or 5 years of the rubber trees' life. But I'm not sure in Udon where I could find banana offshoots for 3 baht each as you did in Sukothai. What is the 'paklian' plant you talk about? Could you get your wife to type out the word in Thai?

All the best.

bannork.

Hi Bannork.

Mate I just love that name,What all ripperclap2.gif

Mate sorry to tell you but we were advised by our mentor.(My wife's Aunty) Don't bother putting Bananas in with small yang because The bananas will tower over the yang and the rubber trees won't do well at all,because not enough sunlight.

I will get some photos,and post them of some very successful banana trees growing in yang when I get a chance.They are .If I didn't see them I would never have believed it.massive.The taller the rubber trees ,the better the banana trees will do

Mate as for the price of the plants we got at 3 baht each,Well it was a favour returned to my wife from her very good friend.They will grow in filtered light but not too dark.

As for the paklian,We found out today we can sell it for 5 baht per bunch and it needs to be picked every day.The trick is you just pick the new shoots.Sounds a bit too labor intensive for this little black duck.

So I think we'll stick with paw paw,malagaw for our mountain yang..Just learned the trick todaywub.png for growing it.Important to have many female plants ,not many male plants.Male plants don't bear fruit.Of course all the folks from issan area probably know this already.Plant a group of 10 seeds in 1 hole and when they have 3 leaves pull them out and the ones with 1 tap root are male.2 tap roots means female.thumbsup.gif

Take care Cheers Cobbler

• Like 1

Hi Jim,

Cheers Cobbler

All the best.

bannork.

Hi Bannork.

Mate sorry to tell you but we were advised by our mentor.(My wife's Aunty) Don't bother putting Bananas in with small yang because The bananas will tower over the yang and the rubber trees won't do well at all,because not enough sunlight.

I will get some photos,and post them of some very successful banana trees growing in yang when I get a chance.They are .If I didn't see them I would never have believed it.massive.The taller the rubber trees ,the better the banana trees will do

Mate as for the price of the plants we got at 3 baht each,Well it was a favour returned to my wife from her very good friend.They will grow in filtered light but not too dark.

As for the paklian,We found out today we can sell it for 5 baht per bunch and it needs to be picked every day.The trick is you just pick the new shoots.Sounds a bit too labor intensive for this little black duck.

So I think we'll stick with paw paw,malagaw for our mountain yang..Just learned the trick todaywub.png for growing it.Important to have many female plants ,not many male plants.Male plants don't bear fruit.Of course all the folks from issan area probably know this already.Plant a group of 10 seeds in 1 hole and when they have 3 leaves pull them out and the ones with 1 tap root are male.2 tap roots means female.thumbsup.gif

Take care Cheers Cobbler

Hi Cobbler,

could you please explain me the difference or what exactely do you mean by 1 tap root and 2 tap roots, what is a tap?

thanks for enlightening me wai.gif

Hi Jim,

Cheers Cobbler

All the best.

bannork.

Hi Bannork.

Take care Cheers Cobbler

Hi Cobbler,

could you please explain me the difference or what exactely do you mean by 1 tap root and 2 tap roots, what is a tap?

thanks for enlightening me wai.gif

Hi ad61,or is it 69cheesy.gif

Tap root is the main root.It will be much thicker than the other ones.

Cheers Cobbler

Got it mate, thanks for the trick! thumbsup.gif

Hi Bannokcheesy.gif

ผักเหลียง this is the Thai spelling for Paklian.Hope this is of use to you.

By the way there is a small chilli 3mm thick and about 2cm long.It will grow in the shade.I don't know the name but will find out.It don't like too much sun at all.If too much sun the leaves will curl up.We can sell for 25baht per kilo.or direct to market stalls (cutting out the middle man)80baht per kilo.Then market sells it at 180baht per kilo.We will give it a go.It is a fast grower.So have quick income from it.1 kilo per plant 2 to 3 months and then pick every week after that.So grow a 1000 or if it's good plant 20 rai with it. so as to go bulk,better money.Suck it and see,that's my theory.biggrin.png

Anybody interested,give my a yell and we can compare notes and such.

Cheers Cobbler.

Cobbler, we don't grow the pakrian for commercial purposes, just for ourselves the family and our Burma. So it's picked as needed.

ok so what is Pakrian?

Re bananas on a rubber farm...we (me) have planted about 50 suckers ( dug from aunties farm between young almost mature rubber trees... ) about 3 years ago on the periphery of the trees..along our road and around the house and any more open parts of the farm...they are growing like crazy in relatively poor mountain/rocky/clay soil. They are of the lady finger type ...we give 'em away to an old lady in the market who sells betel nuts or our local noodle stall or feed the local birds and bees ...I hang green bunches under the house and family helps themselves..they start to go black fall down and the dogs eat 'em.

Easy to propagate with suckers ..think we have about a hundred or so large multi trunk-ed trees now.

Find the cut stems and leafs once fruited are great fertiliser and mulch ..a few chopped up stems around the bases of trees/shrubs certainly help to keep the moisture in the soil ( remember when it did not rain much?..lol)

Happy farming..smile.png