Rubber Trees

Long abandoned rail lines dot the rubber plantations around those rubber plantations in burma they will be brought back into operation no doubt...Burma will dump rubber on the world markets at a fraction of other producing countries just to get money flowing, no one will want to compete price wise with them

Those rice fields just go on forever,see sights there of workers in the fields that would never be seen in Thailand

The quote about growth in India and China is ridiculousness itself ,,China is on its last legs,and as of India....I see nobody investing there now for the future. I did well there ,but no way now

so i guess your off to invest in Burma ? goodluck with that .... by the way its now called Myanamar ......thumbsup.gif

The rubber that's produced in Myanamar hasn't been for domestic consumption up untill now, and there reforming of their political system won't "dump" a huge new supply of rubber onto the world markets.

Any rubber produced there is already being sold onto the international markets, where else could they sell it?

As for rice, Burma used to be the world's biggest exporter of rice untill the generals took over 40 years ago,

Unfortunately all those massive operations you see aren't for people's benefit, there's a handfull of generals that are getting very very rich. It's not hard when you have free (stolen) land and more or less free labour.

Long abandoned rail lines dot the rubber plantations around those rubber plantations in burma they will be brought back into operation no doubt...Burma will dump rubber on the world markets at a fraction of other producing countries just to get money flowing, no one will want to compete price wise with them

Those rice fields just go on forever,see sights there of workers in the fields that would never be seen in Thailand

The quote about growth in India and China is ridiculousness itself ,,China is on its last legs,and as of India....I see nobody investing there now for the future. I did well there ,but no way now

What rubber plantations in Burma, they have what they have. It's not like an oil well that you can just start pumping more. Rubber prices are set by the oil price, artifical rubber is mabe from oil [ plastic etc ] . So what you are saying is Burma will produce so much rubber that it will drive the oil price down to $50 a barrel.

China and India have shown no sign of collapse, they may go up and down, but the long term trend will be up. More cars, more fridges.more rubber needed.

Rubber has been round for 200 years and to this day no one has found a cost effective replacement.

CD every time time you get on your bike or catch a cab, think of me because that's my rubber you are leaving on the road. When I wake up and see no cars on the road I will know it;s time to move from rubber to something else. Jim

Doom and gloom cockadoodledoo.we have myanmar cutters working for us and they all tell us that there rubber isnot same quality as here in Thai.They should know as they see it here and there.The world has an exploding population and as James stated .world needs Quality rubber.Thaikand produces QUALITY RUBBER.

Also something for Charlie to take note of when buying Rubber farm.If you can try to see how many middle men involved in sale of the land U are buying.If you see a uteload of 5 or 10 people at the land you are looking at.Chances are they are all getting a cut.This is not easy to avoid but Ive seen prices much cheaper for the same piece of land because not so many middle men .EG.1 ute has 10 men involved in sale.Seperate ute has only 2 men in it.The second ute with only 2 men in it was a cheaper price for the same land,Yet the owner was recieving same money in his hand from both middle men.Hope you understand this.I know it can be tricky to understand.

Great area and good luck

Cheers Cobbler

so i guess your off to invest in Burma ? goodluck with that .... by the way its now called Myanamar ......thumbsup.gif

Yep another person who knows everything about a country except what it's now called LOL Edited by cobbler

To Cobbler:

thanks for your info ! I've heard about that before, When we get an offer, only my 2 brothers in law and eventually my wife would have a look first to avoid the farang special price...

I know we can't always avoid the middlemen, but the asking price is always just a start for negociating (Which I don't personally do). I trust the family 100 % for that as I know they don't need a cut. They are well situated and have more than enough income. Any way, the wrongest thing I could do is to start negociating myself.

Prices here are quite high but they get better the further away from the coastline (between 200K and 300K per rai).

But still, I wouldn't invest the money in Myanmar though it's a great place...;-))

Karl

What rubber plantations in Burma, they have what they have. It's not like an oil well that you can just start pumping more. Rubber prices are set by the oil price, artifical rubber is mabe from oil [ plastic etc ] . So what you are saying is Burma will produce so much rubber that it will drive the oil price down to $50 a barrel.

China and India have shown no sign of collapse, they may go up and down, but the long term trend will be up. More cars, more fridges.more rubber needed.

Rubber has been round for 200 years and to this day no one has found a cost effective replacement.

CD every time time you get on your bike or catch a cab, think of me because that's my rubber you are leaving on the road. When I wake up and see no cars on the road I will know it;s time to move from rubber to something else. Jim

China and India are showing every sign of collapse ,two Bank of China interest rate cuts recently ,one last week, moribund housing market tipping on the very edge of plunge,India currency,the rupee at all time low for many a year against other western currencies,all China can do is cheat at the WTO rulings to attempt crisis management ,the Rupee is in more than serious trouble,boom to bust in 10 years,the publication " The imminent collapse of China" makes a good read,not that I have but seen many quotes.

If the thinking of forthcoming hike oil prices will stimulate rubber prices ,Id find it hard to get my thinking behind that one,what is the price now,28.2% fall on rubber recent prices,Id say another 28% fall on that is well on the cards as well,can see projected happy figures ,but it is the actual I take note of.

Interesting that Malaysia,Thailand and Indonesia want to form a cartel to attempt to peg falling prices,that would be interesting,but impossible,Thailand would be the first to cut and run in such a situation

My money is on Myanmar ,looking at ways of direct investment there,I know a winner and it a'int Thailand. Hope its a hobby your all in,because it will undoubtedly be the shirt off your back

Yep another person who knows everything about a country except what it's now called LOL

Do not need a lesson off Farmer Giles thanks LOL,Burma to the English speaking world , Myanmar to Burmese speaking,both are correct DUH!!

China and India are showing every sign of collapse ,two Bank of China interest rate cuts recently ,one last week, moribund housing market tipping on the very edge of plunge,India currency,the rupee at all time low for many a year against other western currencies,all China can do is cheat at the WTO rulings to attempt crisis management ,the Rupee is in more than serious trouble,boom to bust in 10 years,the publication " The imminent collapse of China" makes a good read,not that I have but seen many quotes.

If the thinking of forthcoming hike oil prices will stimulate rubber prices ,Id find it hard to get my thinking behind that one,what is the price now,28.2% fall on rubber recent prices,Id say another 28% fall on that is well on the cards as well,can see projected happy figures ,but it is the actual I take note of.

Interesting that Malaysia,Thailand and Indonesia want to form a cartel to attempt to peg falling prices,that would be interesting,but impossible,Thailand would be the first to cut and run in such a situation

My money is on Myanmar ,looking at ways of direct investment there,I know a winner and it a'int Thailand. Hope its a hobby your all in,because it will undoubtedly be the shirt off your back

Been hearing doom and gloom since I stared 10 years ago, yet here I sit. Have not done a days work in 3 years, drive a big 7 seat SUV, have a nice big house, take the wife and kids to Australia once a year and the only income I get is from rubber.

Oil sets the rubber price, to make 1 kilo of artifical rubber [ plastic etc ] takes 3 to 5 liters of oil, depending on type. Pre GFC oil was over $140 a barrel, rubber was $5 a kilo [ local price ] today oil is around $100 a barrel, rubber is around $3 a kilo.

As for China and India, the same experts talking of collapse are the same people who didn't see the GFC in the west.

Think I will still be sitting here in a year or 2, if I am wrong will have to go get a job, but think if things are as bad as you seem to think things will be, doubt there will be much in the west to go back to.

Check back in a year or so and we will see if I am still here. Jim

• Like 1

i think u read to much ....get out and do it, then come back with a real story , sounds like another burnt farang by a thai lady and now hates the place ...

Been hearing doom and gloom since I stared 10 years ago, yet here I sit. Have not done a days work in 3 years, drive a big 7 seat SUV, have a nice big house, take the wife and kids to Australia once a year and the only income I get is from rubber.

Oil sets the rubber price, to make 1 kilo of artifical rubber [ plastic etc ] takes 3 to 5 liters of oil, depending on type. Pre GFC oil was over $140 a barrel, rubber was $5 a kilo [ local price ] today oil is around $100 a barrel, rubber is around $3 a kilo.

As for China and India, the same experts talking of collapse are the same people who didn't see the GFC in the west.

Think I will still be sitting here in a year or 2, if I am wrong will have to go get a job, but think if things are as bad as you seem to think things will be, doubt there will be much in the west to go back to.

Check back in a year or so and we will see if I am still here. Jim

I have done a days work in15 years,all to do with investing in...India....I too sit pretty,pulled out just as the country started to turn bad...would not visit it again for anything...tax man too awaits there.

I hope for your sake Jim you do the right thing,but events are looking decidedly bad,bad news from the US just keeps coming. Still feel sorry for those Spanish farmers who lost their lot with the crash.

No fear I'll keep checking,but you yourself must have a gut feeling that things are taking a nosedive,it is a racing certainty that losses are going to be huge.

i think u read to much ....get out and do it, then come back with a real story , sounds like another burnt farang by a thai lady and now hates the place ...

Fairy tales now is it? never been burnt,love the place,what to do? Comments like yours are just like someone thrashing around totally out of his depth

PS Can you read?.

Hi Cocker doodledoo (Did I spell it right?)

I was just asking if someone knew some ground for sale in my area.

So, please, let's get back to the rubber.

There surely are some other threads about India, China and the collapsing world.

Doesn't really interest someone, did you read ?

• Like 1

There surely are some other threads about India, China and the collapsing world.

Ill keep looking in...promise

No fear I'll keep checking,but you yourself must have a gut feeling that things are taking a nosedive,it is a racing certainty that losses are going to be huge.

2008 GFC hit and the rubber price dropped like a stone, but most people still got in their cars and drove to work .May be new cars sales fell and people are doing it hard, the picture is not bright at the moment, but if GFC 2 hits the world will not end. Banks may fall and new Governments elected and unlike many business we own our little factory and rubber plantations, no debt and just like in GFC 1 we can wait it out. Industry will start up again, people will drive to work and the world will turn, you just have to bid your time.

If you are talking global melt down and an end to the capitalist system, then we have a different story, but they will still buy rubber for the wars that will result.

As the Buddha teaches, live in the moment. Jim

2008 GFC hit and the rubber price dropped like a stone, but most people still got in their cars and drove to work .May be new cars sales fell and people are doing it hard, the picture is not bright at the moment, but if GFC 2 hits the world will not end. Banks may fall and new Governments elected and unlike many business we own our little factory and rubber plantations, no debt and just like in GFC 1 we can wait it out. Industry will start up again, people will drive to work and the world will turn, you just have to bid your time.

If you are talking global melt down and an end to the capitalist system, then we have a different story, but they will still buy rubber for the wars that will result.

just one thing comes to mind,you started well,built a buffer,most have not, just live for the crop/moment/whatever,when things do not work out as planned as I'm sure will happen here,well the bankers move in,just like the US ,Spain whatever.

There was always a degree of slack built into the system in days before,(GFC ,you mean great financial crash?) It is hard to see a way out of the mess the world is in now,no slack whatever,it will take decades if and when it ever recovers,but for sure it will never get back to the way it was ,rubber for one is dependent on demand,that will dampen remarkedly as austerity becomes the norm.

Ill await events a while longer yet before diving into Burma,if there is any recovery that place has nothing to recover from,will be a bargain basement for sure,rubber (not really into rice,but maybe worth a punt at some stage) will undoubtedly recover,but just how long is a lifetime?

ok lets get the facts then shall we ....

1/ have you been a rubber farmer in thailand or anywhere else in the world ?

2/ have u been a hands on farmer anywhere in the world with any crop ?

3/ what is your qualifications to be able to make such predictions ?

4/ you made money in India during what period and involved in what industries ?...

i am 50 years old .. been self employed from the age of 19 ... retired first time at 32 got bored went back to business and retired again at 46... bored again so now i am helping the people around me i love .... if you are going to come on here and lecture people, with big statements, then i for one will respect you a lot more if you give us some insight into what your background really is ....

• Like 2

Hey cockheadortwo.you go to Myanmar burma or who gives a shit.We hope you do wellclap2.gif Or notcheesy.gif Coz really we don't give a shit.We are allready living our dreams,not just talking about it.Only 1 thing I'd advise to any farmer is don't have all your eggs in the 1 basket.

The world has always had ups and downs.It has an exploding population.

Best wishes and kindest regards. Cobbler

P.S. Umm next time look for your missus outside the bar area,.w00t.gif Shock horror .Why??Coz then you got a much less chance of being burnt.

Edited by cobbler

just one thing comes to mind,you started well,built a buffer,most have not, just live for the crop/moment/whatever,when things do not work out as planned as I'm sure will happen here,well the bankers move in,just like the US ,Spain whatever.

There was always a degree of slack built into the system in days before,(GFC ,you mean great financial crash?) It is hard to see a way out of the mess the world is in now,no slack whatever,it will take decades if and when it ever recovers,but for sure it will never get back to the way it was ,rubber for one is dependent on demand,that will dampen remarkedly as austerity becomes the norm.

Ill await events a while longer yet before diving into Burma,if there is any recovery that place has nothing to recover from,will be a bargain basement for sure,rubber (not really into rice,but maybe worth a punt at some stage) will undoubtedly recover,but just how long is a lifetime?

Yep, and everyday you are complaining and moaning.We are here doing it.living our dream.Yin and yang.Up ,down ,in out .That's the way of life and the world.I don't see our workers racing off home to make money on there rubber farms.They all have rubber farms back in Myanmar.Why not?coz they know they can't make money there.

Cheers Cobblerbiggrin.png

P.S. What government department did you say you were from.Coz you talk like a public servant.Got all the answers but have never done farming.I bet you can write a really good procedure though.Exactly the reason why I left Australia.Thanks for coming onto our forum.You have made me happy I don't have to put up with public servants telling me what I can and can't do with my life.Using my hard earned tax $$$ to do it.Thank you Thailand for not having this type of <deleted> here running this country.This is a free country.Especially for farmers.coffee1.gif

Hi ,After reading your comments about buying land.Sounds like you are already on the right track.Not much land with rubber trees for sale here .Even with all the doom and gloom talk going on.What does that tell you.?

Maybe it's the same at your area.

If you have the time and patients to wait a bit,you will always find somebody selling land at a good price ,coz they need money badly for 1 of many reasons.If you happen to be ready at that time you can get a good price.We did.

Yes you will definately find it cheaper ,the further you go from the highway.That can be good and bad.Good luck with it.and a very big welcome.clap2.gif

Cheers Cobbler

Well, after all, no reason for not to invest in rubber or oil palm im Thailand now...

Some answer on my specific questions or still just a wild guess? Everybody knows Burma is a rich country, but digging that treasure takes many years.

Not to speak about the very experience needed to get rubber industry blooming...

As if you didn't know'1 reason to go for Rubber against palm oil is after the life of the rubber tree is over you can then sell it for 1000 baht or more,per tree. ,but a palm oil tree is burnt and worth nothing.In your area I'm sure if you look around I'm sure you'll find other things you can plant in your rubber farm ,to mix your income up a bit.Maybe a government office can give you some good advice on this.I know they have weekend schools on this subject.My wife found 1 going on in Ranong.Or if when you are driving around,keep your eyes open and you will see people growing things in between there rubber trees.If yu happen to be up this way I'd be happy to show you some very successful bananas and mangosteen trees.We are in the process of putting bananas and chilli plants in.The type of chilli is a very short 1 and does not like much sun.We will have 3000,to 10,000 per month.We saw at the market today selling for 120 baht per kilo.I think the pickers get 10baht per kilo.That farm is flat land.If you buy a mountain .paw paw is good,.We are in the process of putting in 1000 plants in our mountain farm.Have seen them grow successfuly.

Be sure to check before planting nam wa bananas .Check there are no seed bananas close by,as your nam wa bananas will become seed bananas.The pollin is transfered by bees from seed bananas to your nam wa.

Cheers Cobbler

Well, after all, no reason for not to invest in rubber or oil palm im Thailand now...

Some answer on my specific questions or still just a wild guess? Everybody knows Burma is a rich country, but digging that treasure takes many years.

Not to speak about the very experience needed to get rubber industry blooming...

As if you didn't know'1 reason to go for Rubber against palm oil is after the life of the rubber tree is over you can then sell it for 1000 baht or more,per tree. ,but a palm oil tree is burnt and worth nothing.In your area I'm sure if you look around I'm sure you'll find other things you can plant in your rubber farm ,to mix your income up a bit.Maybe a government office can give you some good advice on this.I know they have weekend schools on this subject.My wife found 1 going on in Ranong.Or if when you are driving around,keep your eyes open and you will see people growing things in between there rubber trees.If yu happen to be up this way I'd be happy to show you some very successful bananas and mangosteen trees.We are in the process of putting bananas and chilli plants in.The type of chilli is a very short 1 and does not like much sun.We will have 3000,to 10,000 per month.We saw at the market today selling for 120 baht per kilo.I think the pickers get 10baht per kilo.That farm is flat land.If you buy a mountain .paw paw is good,.We are in the process of putting in 1000 plants in our mountain farm.Have seen them grow successfuly.

Be sure to check before planting nam wa bananas .Check there are no seed bananas close by,as your nam wa bananas will become seed bananas.The pollin is transfered by bees from seed bananas to your nam wa.

Cheers Cobbler

Not sure where you are getting this 1000 Baht a tree from. Malaysians plant rubber trees not unly for rubber, but lumber out put and you can make big bucks on the lumber, In Thailand different tree type and from what I hear 20,000 to 30,000 Baht a rai. Not many board feet in RIMM 600 etc. Jim

Yep, and everyday you are complaining and moaning.We are here doing it.living our dream.Yin and yang.Up ,down ,in out .That's the way of life and the world.I don't see our workers racing off home to make money on there rubber farms.They all have rubber farms back in Myanmar.Why not?coz they know they can't make money there.

P.S. What government department did you say you were from.Coz you talk like a public servant.Got all the answers but have never done farming.I bet you can write a really good procedure though.Exactly the reason why I left Australia.Thanks for coming onto our forum.You have made me happy I don't have to put up with public servants telling me what I can and can't do with my life.Using my hard earned tax $$$ to do it.Thank you Thailand for not having this type of <deleted> here running this country.This is a free country.Especially for farmers.coffee1.gif

, Me Moan? me complaining ? oh no I love it You see I do not have to do anything,anything at all ,you rubber duckies seem well peeved by comments,mine especially,as told "if its too hot in the kitchen get the fukc out of it". All I do is see an opportunity and go for it,for years all I did is buy into anything was worth a punt and whoa the interim dividend alone ,never mind the final dividend, paid out more than I initially put into it,money just flowed ,no dirty hands,just sit on my ass and watch it pour in.

Now by reaction I see a lot of you are hurting BIG STYLE, you will hurt far more, guaranteed, double guaranteed, this is suicide fodder for sure in the forthcoming months years, guaranteed, you do what you know best,but sure is you know F all about the situation developing,glad,no doubly glad pricks like you are suffering,and suffer you will ,me? I just await my time,can afford to,will always afford to,now what you got to say about that LOSER? LOL

If things were not getting bad and I mean getting bad to worse,why comment in such tones?,no good for blood pressure for one

Not to extend the pain but there is no reason to expect the current downturn to kill rubber prices forever. If you go back in time there was the S&L scandals, the dot com bubble, Y2K, Enron and accounting issues, the return of Hong Kong to China, etc, etc, etc. At each of these events the doom and gloomers came out and cried that the sky was falling. In 2008 the US had a major reversal, now Europe is suffering and the East is no longer seeing double digit growth.

In the long run these things too will pass. Oil prices will go up again soon and when they do $150/bbl US is likely. Global economies/growth have/has been stagnant since 2007. This all means that now is a good time to be investing. It may be that we have to suffer through 6-24 months of stagnant growth but things will turn around. These things happen in cycles, we are due to have an upswing, this upswing will likely last 3-5 years then we will have a new downswing. During the upswing the news will shout out that this is a new economic paradigm and we will all be walking on streets of gold soon. During the downswing the news will shout out that this is the beginning of the end of capital markets and that anarchy will soon follow. Both will be wrong and 100 years from now these things will be noise around a 6-8% post inflation return on global markets (as we have seen for the past 100 years).

Will rubber be worth 10 times more in 10 years? Unlikely, but possible.

Will rubber be valueless in 10 years? Unlikely, but possible.

Anyone who says they know what will happen is either a fraud or a fool.

Just my 2 cents, ....... back to farming.

, Me Moan? me complaining ? oh no I love it You see I do not have to do anything,anything at all ,you rubber duckies seem well peeved by comments,mine especially,as told "if its too hot in the kitchen get the fukc out of it". All I do is see an opportunity and go for it,for years all I did is buy into anything was worth a punt and whoa the interim dividend alone ,never mind the final dividend, paid out more than I initially put into it,money just flowed ,no dirty hands,just sit on my ass and watch it pour in.

Now by reaction I see a lot of you are hurting BIG STYLE, you will hurt far more, guaranteed, double guaranteed, this is suicide fodder for sure in the forthcoming months years, guaranteed, you do what you know best,but sure is you know F all about the situation developing,glad,no doubly glad pricks like you are suffering,and suffer you will ,me? I just await my time,can afford to,will always afford to,now what you got to say about that LOSER? LOL

If things were not getting bad and I mean getting bad to worse,why comment in such tones?,no good for blood pressure for one

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

time to change hands mate

Hi Cobbler,

thanks a lot for your comments on buying and intercropping !!

Yes, we wait for some gambler suddenly needing money and selling for a good price. One day, he'll show up..

To Cockerdooledo: To me, it's more honouring to be productive and make a living from my hands work than doing some investment somewhere, not pay taxes (as you said) and to live like a parasite... How can you be proud of this and come telling this in a thread that deals with people who are working hard to make a living?

PLease again: just go to another thread if you're not a farmer and leave us in peace.

Thanks !!

Not to extend the pain but there is no reason to expect the current downturn to kill rubber prices forever. If you go back in time there was the S&L scandals, the dot com bubble, Y2K, Enron and accounting issues, the return of Hong Kong to China, etc, etc, etc. At each of these events the doom and gloomers came out and cried that the sky was falling. In 2008 the US had a major reversal, now Europe is suffering and the East is no longer seeing double digit growth.

In the long run these things too will pass. Oil prices will go up again soon and when they do $150/bbl US is likely. Global economies/growth have/has been stagnant since 2007. This all means that now is a good time to be investing. It may be that we have to suffer through 6-24 months of stagnant growth but things will turn around. These things happen in cycles, we are due to have an upswing, this upswing will likely last 3-5 years then we will have a new downswing. During the upswing the news will shout out that this is a new economic paradigm and we will all be walking on streets of gold soon. During the downswing the news will shout out that this is the beginning of the end of capital markets and that anarchy will soon follow. Both will be wrong and 100 years from now these things will be noise around a 6-8% post inflation return on global markets (as we have seen for the past 100 years).

Agree,but the fundamentals are skewed this time, likely to be far longer than ever experienced,it was far eastern economies that not exactly dragged the western economies along,probably finished off the US for years to come,but China dominates,India's had it too,once China cries uncle,it will be the dark ages for many a year.

just my two cents worth,now where to go for a break? Florida or Caribbean?

Agree,but the fundamentals are skewed this time, likely to be far longer than ever experienced,it was far eastern economies that not exactly dragged the western economies along,probably finished off the US for years to come,but China dominates,India's had it too,once China cries uncle,it will be the dark ages for many a year.

try Libya or Syria lots of action i hear , massive growth potential and investment opportunities galore and wanke_rs are welcome .... thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

try Libya or Syria lots of action i hear , massive growth potential and investment opportunities galore and wanke_rs are welcome .... thumbsup.gif

Love it,for one who is already feeling the heat,and will undoubtedly get burnt,this is the best thread ever,Ill keep reminding you ,great stuff