Rubber Trees

ps. the local SriTrang Rubberland factory (very big) buys crepe. FYI Kee drc was 78.5 yesterday.

The crepe at 78 Baht is it smoked or sun dried and who is selling it to the factory. If rubberland is buying, some one must be making, Like to go and look at a small working crepe maker. Jim
  • Like 1

ok a while back i mentioned talk of this 408 tree variety , just got back to Phon Pisai and a relative told me he waited along with 2500 other thais to collect 3 new sample trees of the 408 variety ...this was carried out by the govt research farm in Rattanawapi ... apparently people came from as far as Trang to do this ... my relative paid others 200 baht to line up with id card in hand so that he could gather as many samples to start grafting ... i have no other info on this tree ... which is why i posted a few months back asking ..anyone else got any updates about this new beast ?

>>>The crepe at 78 Baht is it smoked or sun dried and who is selling it to the factory. If rubberland is buying, some one must be making, Like to go and look at a small working crepe maker. Jim

Certainly not smoked, and not that brownish color of having baked in the sun either. Presumably hung on racks or poles to dry. Factory said they like dry, obviously. Yup, someone or more is making and I certainly would like to see the process too. Wife said the trucker came from RoiEt which is halfway between you and I. Not exactly close enough for a pop-in, but I'll ask her to ring the guy and see if he'd be OK with a visit. If so, I'll let you know.

Also hope to find somewhere closer to uppernowheresville in live production.

Yo dudes!

FYI, this seasons government auction prices for wet cup rubber so far, Ampur Ban Dung, Udon Thani province;

11 May 62.10 baht per kilo

24 May 56.30 "

7 June 47.80 "

today 51.35 "

Hope this is of interest, gate prices are always 4-5 baht down, we only sell at auction. Re dry cup rubber prices and details. Am visiting the new super factory at Sum Sau near Udon next week to check it out. They buy every form of rubber from latex to sheet, and of course, dry and wet cup. Not sure on minimum quantities though.will pass on any useful info.

Regards,

Mike.

oh and LOTS of rain here in the last 2 months.

ok a while back i mentioned talk of this 408 tree variety , just got back to Phon Pisai and a relative told me he waited along with 2500 other thais to collect 3 new sample trees of the 408 variety ...this was carried out by the govt research farm in Rattanawapi ... apparently people came from as far as Trang to do this ... my relative paid others 200 baht to line up with id card in hand so that he could gather as many samples to start grafting ... i have no other info on this tree ... which is why i posted a few months back asking ..anyone else got any updates about this new beast ?

called out to his nursery today to see this new tree variety , i am not fluent in Thai but from what i can gather ,these are the points he made .. 5 years until tapping can begin , strong tree fast growing and higher yields ... i could not take a photo as it was pouring with rain ...will do in the next day or so ...

Cheers

called out to his nursery today to see this new tree variety , i am not fluent in Thai but from what i can gather ,these are the points he made .. 5 years until tapping can begin , strong tree fast growing and higher yields ... i could not take a photo as it was pouring with rain ...will do in the next day or so ...

Cheers

I am assuming that the nursery are not growing the trees, but the clones for grafting next year. Jim

RRIT 408

This clone has been developed by the RRIT, to perform well in the East of Thailand which is prone to long periods without rain.

The latex yield is 352Kg / Rai / Year which is more than the standard RRIM 600 tree, but less than RRIT 251 or RRIM 3001.

Edited by Mark1971

RRIT 408

This clone has been developed by the RRIT, to perform well in the East of Thailand which is prone to long periods without rain.

The latex yield is 352Kg / Rai / Year which is more than the standard RRIM 600 tree, but less than RRIT 251 or RRIM 3001.

cheers thanks for the info

Hi, we just planted trees on 22 rai 2-3 months ago.

I payed about 14000 for ploughing earlier this year. Is that ok price.... ?

Soon we need ploughing again between the trees, any idea what that could cost ?

Thanks

Lars

No problem ploughing between the 7m rows up to 2-3 years old, preferably 2. Do NOT plough 4th season onwards. I personally stop after the 1st year, purely because i like nice flat land with my grass cutter (slasher), and avoid serious soil erosion on slopey areas, when covered with grass.

Regards,

Mike.

Around our area northeast of udon Thani

Straight plowing costs no more than 250Baht/Rai, Rototilling 400 Baht/Rai

There's orange tractors everywhere and its a buyers market, you should ask around

Ploughing...

Initial bed shaping ?... Normally you've got your nice piece of new land, prior to marking out dimensions with your bamboo sticks etc. Ideally you plough it once with a 3 disc plough to really get in there deep, say east-west, then plough it again with a 5-7 disc plough, going the opposite way, say north-south, trying to get it nice and smooth and flat. Still not satisfied, plough or rotortill (rotorvate) again going the original way ie east-west. This is maybe where the OP (Lars) got his original 14000 baht price from. Maybe.

As i've personally always ploughed our own land with our own tractors from the year dot, i'm not up to date with current prices charged for between the 6-7m rows, so i asked the brother in law. Current prices using mid range 36-45hp Kubotas is 250 baht per rai, going in one direction only between the rows. All charge per rai and not per hour (better for the customer too). However, last month, you would have had to pay 350-400 baht per rai, 'cos every "orange tractor" was flat out 12 hrs a day working peoples rice paddy. Now things have slackened off again, it is a "buyers" market and not the Kubota owner's market, hence 250 baht per rai is about right here (Udon).

So 250 x 22 = 5,500 baht.

Once those trees are in, DO NOT let anyone near your land with a 3 disc plough, too deep and makes a mess of your nice straight, smooth, flat land. Once you are getting proper canopy, 2-3 years old, even a 5-7 disc plough will cut into your existing root system and impair growth. Sh#t, i can show some marvelous examples of how NOT to look after a plantation round this area. Unbelievable!

Oh, and by the way, anybody wants an ideal tractor for a 0-6 year old rubber plantation, our 50hp 2WD Ford 4000 is still for sale, c/w ancilleries, at a very reasonable price. Might save somebody some money long term, and you get your work done how you want it and when you want it, self-satisfaction etc. And it keeps you out of the bars..

Regards,

Mike.

Thanks for all the answers, i really appreciate it.

I for sure knows that sometimes she is adding the figures upp a little bit

but i guess that is fine, it comes with a relation like this.

Anyway she told me it was about 300 baht a rai, so its fine for me.

The village is about 45 km from Nong Khai and it is really the end of the world,

and not many have tractors there.

Thank u again

Lars

Hi folks,

I've been reading and following the "Rubber Trees" forum for a while now and I must say I've learned a lot !

Now, I'd like to get to the real thing and buy some rubber plantation myself.

Anyone who knows someone selling some 30-40 rai between Krabi and Ao Luk (the broader area) ?

Thanks a lot for any reply !

Charlie1

Charlie, just get the Thai family putting out feelers. There is always someone in the area who knows someone who wants to sell. Just tell your other half not to mention the Farang connection. Those finding the buyer earn upto 5% commision from the seller. Welcome to the forum.

Charlie, just get the Thai family putting out feelers. There is always someone in the area who knows someone who wants to sell. Just tell your other half not to mention the Farang connection. Those finding the buyer earn upto 5% commision from the seller. Welcome to the forum.

Thanks Mosha ! The relatives of my wife are all rubber planters as well, one of them with more than 150 rai, and they put out their feelers for 3 months now, but without success. Most of the time, there is only a Sor Bor Tor or even only Gor.Sor.Nor.5 (ก.ส.น.๕)!

Maybe, I just need some more patience and hope that one day, we'll find the right lap of ground.

But in the meantime, prices are rising and rising...

Personally I would get out of rubber trees ,and rice farming for two as fast as I could. Mynamar is one vast rubber tree plantation ,and those rices paddies are to behold, theywill drive down prices worldwide for sure,bankrupt Thai famers forever, now the brakes are off that country

Personally I would get out of rubber trees ,and rice farming for two as fast as I could. Mynamar is one vast rubber tree plantation ,and those rices paddies are to behold, theywill drive down prices worldwide for sure,bankrupt Thai famers forever, now the brakes are off that country

I'm not really fixed towards rubber, could be pertly oile palm as well.

What I don't understand about your post: Didn't the Burmese rubber exist yesterday? What difference can it make to the rubber market, that Myanmar is opening up? Didn't they throw their rubber on the world market before or was it part of the sanctioning ?

• Like 1

please explain your post a little more or is this just a wild guess ?

no guessing,you ever seen the extent of the vast reserves there....go see...speechless.... Thailand's finished as far as those two products are concerned...just like the Spanish farmers with olive oil production and cheaper production from 3rd world countries. Burma will finish off Thailand without effort do not believe go take a look

no guessing,you ever seen the extent of the vast reserves there....go see...speechless.... Thailand's finished as far as those two products are concerned...just like the Spanish farmers with olive oil production and cheaper production from 3rd world countries. Burma will finish off Thailand without effort do not believe go take a look

yes i have been to Burma ...but cannot agree with your statement ,,, in 20 years perhaps the country may start to resemble something like Thailand , its a long way from being a stable political environment imo

• Like 1

yes i have been to Burma ...but cannot agree with your statement ,,, in 20 years perhaps the country may start to resemble something like Thailand , its a long way from being a stable political environment imo

Not talking about the country et al forests already there,mature forests Darby Sime would be falling over backwards to manage those endless forests,now there off the starting block it will fly

Well, after all, no reason for not to invest in rubber or oil palm im Thailand now...

Some answer on my specific questions or still just a wild guess? Everybody knows Burma is a rich country, but digging that treasure takes many years.

Not to speak about the very experience needed to get rubber industry blooming...

While China and India grow there will be a need for more and more rubber. Burma can replace Malaystan rubber which already is out costing itself. Wages for workers are too high now. Same goes for South America.

The only threat to Thai rubber is wage rates, then it will be Lao workers for me. Jim

Long abandoned rail lines dot the rubber plantations around those rubber plantations in burma they will be brought back into operation no doubt...Burma will dump rubber on the world markets at a fraction of other producing countries just to get money flowing, no one will want to compete price wise with them

Those rice fields just go on forever,see sights there of workers in the fields that would never be seen in Thailand

The quote about growth in India and China is ridiculousness itself ,,China is on its last legs,and as of India....I see nobody investing there now for the future. I did well there ,but no way now

Edited by cockerdoodledo