Rubber Trees

"It said the three countries were concerned about the recent drop in NR prices which had a direct effect on the income of their rubber smallholders."

Now what's the betting these same small holders will be the ones "asked" to cut back on production?

This 16000 baht per rai is chicken feed compared to what you can sell mature trees for..Something fishy about this.Surprise.w00t.gifP.S. Mosha we are haveing some of that fart smelling vegie in an omlet for dinner.Yummy though.I love it,but I forgot the name Edited by cobbler

"It said the three countries were concerned about the recent drop in NR prices which had a direct effect on the income of their rubber smallholders."

Now what's the betting these same small holders will be the ones "asked" to cut back on production?

This 16000 baht per rai is chicken feed compared to what you can sell mature trees for..Something fishy about this.Surprise.w00t.gifP.S. Mosha we are haveing some of that fart smelling vegie in an omlet for dinner.Yummy though.I love it,but I forgot the name

The 16000 is to replant, not for the lumber, people are moving to palm when they cut the old rubber down. Faster return on palm. Jim

This 16000 baht per rai is chicken feed compared to what you can sell mature trees for..Something fishy about this.Surprise.w00t.gifP.S. Mosha we are haveing some of that fart smelling vegie in an omlet for dinner.Yummy though.I love it,but I forgot the name

The 16000 is to replant, not for the lumber, people are moving to palm when they cut the old rubber down. Faster return on palm. Jim

Oh okay ,sorry about that.Yes palm oil is really good ,bio fuel.Palm oil will be a masive industry .It already is.People will get tired of yang prices being not reliable.The government is already introducing it in Sukho Thai.Also they are saying it will go very well in Issan areas as it needs a lot less rainfall to produce it's crop.Also labor is much cheaper because it is only harvested 1 month 1 time.

Cobbler, trouble is most of Issan is not good for palm oil or rubber, people hear the story's from the south and think it is a money winner. Fact is palm oil and rubber need good long rain falls, not just big rains for a few months of the year. The Thai way is go for the next cash crop, they don't think is my land good for that crop. seen them go for cassava on rice land and the tubas rot in the ground, or go to rubber on rice paddies, too wet for the trees. TIT Jim

Would any of you Rubber Tree farmers know if this approximate number is anywhere near correct ? If you were selling the liquid rubber, you could make a profit of about 1000 baht per month for every rai of rubber trees you have. This is figuring a 40% cut to the staff who cares for and collect the rubber. For example, if you had 30 rai of rubber trees, you might make a clear profit of 30,000 baht a month? Please feel free to correct me where ever you thing I am way off. Thanks

Does any one know a ball park figure on how much it might cost per rai, to plant rubber trees on vacate land. I am 'guessing' that it might be around 10,000 baht per rai to buy the trees and have them put in. I have NO experience so I welcome any info. Thanks for any help. Edited by how241

The pressure on Natural Rubber prices is entirely due to increased supply.

While demand is constantly increasing, supply is increasing at a faster rate.

I only see this situation accelerating in the future & anticipate a prolonged period of pressure on Natural Rubber prices.

Global Natural Rubber production is increasing by 570,000 Metric Tonnes every year.

Global Natural Rubber demand is increasing by 140,000 Metric Tonnes every year.

Technological advances with modern high yielding clones & the rapid geographic expansion of Rubber tree plantations guarantee the supply of Natural Rubber will continue to increase.

When similar technological advances have increased the supply of other commodities it has always put downward pressure on the price of that commodity.

eg.

Shale gas hydraulic fracturing (USA).

Milk yield production in dairy cows, by genetic selection & silage feed (UK).

Edited by Mark1971
  • Like 1

Just put on Thai news on TV now.If gov didn't kill the price of yang with this buy back scam,which didn't help farmers at all..Price of yang would now fly because oil is set to go up in price now until October at least.

Now is the time we will see if yang price is set by demand and oil price or country politics.

Folks, don't worry about the price of oil (for our price increase of rubber) the oil & gas industry is going mental with projects for the next 5 years. BUT, we'll all have to offset or profits BECAUSE of higher fuel costs, leading to,........

Cobbler, trouble is most of Issan is not good for palm oil or rubber, people hear the story's from the south and think it is a money winner. Fact is palm oil and rubber need good long rain falls, not just big rains for a few months of the year. The Thai way is go for the next cash crop, they don't think is my land good for that crop. seen them go for cassava on rice land and the tubas rot in the ground, or go to rubber on rice paddies, too wet for the trees. TIT Jim

Thats exactly what my wife says all the time,but I don't like to put it on visa because it sounds like we are insulting Issan people,and treating them like morons.So it's interesting to hear it from you.

We know down here.If no rain for 3 weeks the yang drops off,so how about 3 months.No water going into the tree ,no rubber coming out.It sounds obvious to me.

What makes your area different to other Issan areas.?How is it you can gety good yang?

Cheers Cobbler

Last time I was on my way to Penang, we saw paddies there being turned over to rubber trees. I commented to my wife that I thought that was a daft idea. By Highway 41 in Surat used to be mostly rice. They turned that over to palm oil.

Thats exactly what my wife says all the time,but I don't like to put it on visa because it sounds like we are insulting Issan people,and treating them like morons.So it's interesting to hear it from you.

We know down here.If no rain for 3 weeks the yang drops off,so how about 3 months.No water going into the tree ,no rubber coming out.It sounds obvious to me.

What makes your area different to other Issan areas.?How is it you can gety good yang?

Cheers Cobbler

Mountains and rainforest and now rubber plantations. The mountains and jungle produce a mini climate. 5 km from me and you could be in outback NSW, while here it's pissing rain. Also the water run off from the high country takes a long time to run down, keeps the water table high.

We get the normal wet season monsoon rains, but also get normal rain formed by cool mountain air. You can feel the change when riding a bike, temp drops as you enter the badlands. Jim

All the good rubber areas in Issan are in the north, or following the Mekong river down to Ubon. Shed load of rubber Loei, Nong Khai, Udon Thani, Bung Khan, Sakon Nakon, Mukdahan. All this area gets more average rainfall than further south ie Khon Kaen and Korat. A lot of new rubber going in in KK, but i do'nt think it will be good - continually poor rainfall levels compared to further north. In fact KK and further south have not had enough rain for rice crops let alone young rubber! Not much palm up here, because it needs that water 12 months a year for big trees and production numbers. it's only seen where land has access to water all year round.

Mike.

Think the Government had better gets it's act together or butt out of the rubber pricing altogether.

We and truck loads of others with rubber stacked high arrived at this alleged 90 Baht rubber Government buy.

No one had good rubber, everything was poor quality, 50 Baht a kilo. It was a wonder that the buying agent was not shot. This was the same place we sold on Wednesday, normal Government buy 75 Baht a kilo.

Would appear that all the talk of the Government helping out the poor rubber planters with higher prices and then stock piling the stuff is just that talk.

Needless to say we and everyone else turned around and headed home.

These 90 Baht buys have been set up all around the district over the next few days. No one is going to sell at 50 Baht, when the price on Friday was 75 Baht.

Won't starve if we wait a bit longer, but if things don;t improve shortly a lot of new cars will be going back to the car companies. Jim

My faith in human nature got restored a little. The last lot we sold at 65 Baht. Sopha was told 68 Baht by the husband there. When we got there the husband wasn't there, and the wife said 65 Baht. She has now sent on the the missing 3 baht/kg

Cheers Cobbler

Mountains and rainforest and now rubber plantations. The mountains and jungle produce a mini climate. 5 km from me and you could be in outback NSW, while here it's pissing rain. Also the water run off from the high country takes a long time to run down, keeps the water table high.

We get the normal wet season monsoon rains, but also get normal rain formed by cool mountain air. You can feel the change when riding a bike, temp drops as you enter the badlands. Jim

You were very smart to buy there.I understand what you are saying about that mountains creat a whole different weather pattern,and you're right.We will visit you 1 day,think you must have it all sorted.As much as 1 could have it all sorted .

Cheers Cobbler

Sorry to hear about you wasting you time and money Jim going to a gov buy.

My wife's Aunty has about 10 ton a month to sell,She's saying to us ''she is planning a trip ti some place to get hopefully get 90 per kilo for sheet.''Hope we don't get pissed around like you did/.

Mate Ixe seen people plant yang in sandy beach side property and swampy country.,even 1 dipshit planted his yang and then let the cows graze around.Most of the trees were snapped off or gone completely.So don't worry we've got them too.(morons)This dipshit tryed to sell it to us for 300K per rai.My wife was holding my hand tightly at the time ,as if to say to me''don't say anything''blink.png

Cheers Cobbler

You were very smart to buy there.I understand what you are saying about that mountains creat a whole different weather pattern,and you're right.We will visit you 1 day,think you must have it all sorted.As much as 1 could have it all sorted .

Cheers Cobbler

Right now the only thing sorted is my new stilt patio, where I have moved to escape the insanity of the household. They the family are preparing a party for the new car we bought today. Don't know where the we comes into it, nothing to do with me.

2 more tappers did a runner last night, these were the ones we got about 6 weeks ago. Good tappers, but had borrowed 25,000 Baht from us. Strange they have their share of near on 1000 kilos of sheet in the shed. Guess they figured that at 50 Baht a kilo they were better to run and not pay.

Hired 2 more tappers today, have no idea if they are any good, but need the workers, no tappers no money at all. So down from 12 to 5 workers. Have put the word out for more, but at today's prices doubt many will be interested,

Would think the new car will be going back fairly soon, it's in the old mans name so no skin off my teeth if he can;t make the payments.

Just have to live in the moment, have beer, food and the Irish rovers on the CD, Lao kow is flowing in the house and the sun will come up tomorrow. Jim

So its 'New Car they bought' not 'we' ?

Sounds like you've got your head screwed on mate. Good Luck with everything. wink.png

If I bought another car it would be a recon jeep. This is all about status, what sort of idiot buys a Mazda 2 sport, I can just get my size 10 boot under it, no road clearance. We live in the jungle and where there are roads they have pot holes that could swallow a tank. Common sense is sadly lacking, but up to them. Jim

Sounds like you've got your head screwed on mate. Good Luck with everything. wink.png

If I bought another car it would be a recon jeep. This is all about status, what sort of idiot buys a Mazda 2 sport, I can just get my size 10 boot under it, no road clearance. We live in the jungle and where there are roads they have pot holes that could swallow a tank. Common sense is sadly lacking, but up to them. Jim

Yes, my wife has a Vios a few years old now, bit more practical but its useless really out in the sticks. the Roads are in the worst state I can remember and no doubt we'll get a few floods. Got to be a Pickup or something.

but , yes, a mazda sport with next to zero ground clearance, it does take some beating , there's got to be some fluid on the frontal lobe. . enjoy your beer and the Pogues or whatever biggrin.png

Yes, my wife has a Vios a few years old now, bit more practical but its useless really out in the sticks. the Roads are in the worst state I can remember and no doubt we'll get a few floods. Got to be a Pickup or something.

but , yes, a mazda sport with next to zero ground clearance, it does take some beating , there's got to be some fluid on the frontal lobe. . enjoy your beer and the Pogues or whatever biggrin.png

At least you can laugh.All said and done,It still beats the shit out of living in Australia.Mate put 19 inc wheels under it and you'll be rightthumbsup.gif

At least you can laugh.All said and done,It still beats the shit out of living in Australia.Mate put 19 inc wheels under it and you'll be rightthumbsup.gif

No I will put the Mazda on the back of the pickup, then drive to Ubon.

No the new tappers were not stealing, as they were new I kept a close eye on them. Think they just thought the rubber game was done and they headed off to BKK for work, can't blame them. There is a big difference between 120 Baht a kilo and if you believe 50 Baht a kilo. By the time you take out their share of fertilizer, fuel etc it is just not worth the effort to tap.

To be honest if it gets to 50 Baht a kilo, we will shut up shop and I will be looking for a job. Maybe claim to be a refo in OZ and wait for the upturn. Jim

I'd thought the 'family plan' of having wife's niece and her hubby as tappers would have worked slightly better, but.... They started out reasonably well as trained newbies, then decided they wanted a 40% split rather than a flat rate, probably because that's what they heard 'other tappers' get. Because the trees are newly opened a few months ago they're not producing much and workers ended up with less than their flat pay.

Hubby (nice ban-nok guy acually) came down with Hepititis A and B, he lost 20kgs and his eyes turned so yellow he could have been a Halloweed spook. They decided he couldn't work (understandable) and moved back to Sisakit to live with his parents. Also so that the local witch-doctors could blow on him to 'prevent the ghosts from taking him'.

He's still above ground so I guess it worked...

Wife's idiot younger sister has returned from work exile in Bkk, where she was sent to disappear from her yaba-head idiot theiving boyfriend/unofficial husband (who wouldn't leave the village). She has returned with her 5yr old daughter and her 15yr old mentally retarted daughter. The later is 6 mths pregnant. Don't think she understands exactly what that means. Turns out that yaba-head had raped her when he was living with her mother. Wife is planning a lynching or execution, I liked the fertilizer approach Jim mentioned.

Kee yang price is holding at 65-66b per kg drc at the big local factory. Discussed crepe with them (the product mgr for crepe) for a third time and seems the bottom line is +1 baht over kee yang drc price for 80%+ dry crepe. As that it would cost 1-2 baht per kg to produce crepe, I don't see why do it, at least not at that price.

Just more of the same weirdness in uppernowheresville.

I'd thought the 'family plan' of having wife's niece and her hubby as tappers would have worked slightly better, but.... They started out reasonably well as trained newbies, then decided they wanted a 40% split rather than a flat rate, probably because that's what they heard 'other tappers' get. Because the trees are newly opened a few months ago they're not producing much and workers ended up with less than their flat pay.

Hubby (nice ban-nok guy acually) came down with Hepititis A and B, he lost 20kgs and his eyes turned so yellow he could have been a Halloweed spook. They decided he couldn't work (understandable) and moved back to Sisakit to live with his parents. Also so that the local witch-doctors could blow on him to 'prevent the ghosts from taking him'.

He's still above ground so I guess it worked...

Wife's idiot younger sister has returned from work exile in Bkk, where she was sent to disappear from her yaba-head idiot theiving boyfriend/unofficial husband (who wouldn't leave the village). She has returned with her 5yr old daughter and her 15yr old mentally retarted daughter. The later is 6 mths pregnant. Don't think she understands exactly what that means. Turns out that yaba-head had raped her when he was living with her mother. Wife is planning a lynching or execution, I liked the fertilizer approach Jim mentioned.

Kee yang price is holding at 65-66b per kg drc at the big local factory. Discussed crepe with them (the product mgr for crepe) for a third time and seems the bottom line is +1 baht over kee yang drc price for 80%+ dry crepe. As that it would cost 1-2 baht per kg to produce crepe, I don't see why do it, at least not at that price.

Just more of the same weirdness in uppernowheresville.

Things will settle, Malaysian workers earn more than Thais, so they will stop cutting, reducing overall world output. Things will as always get better in the end.

As for family problems I'm fairly lucky, have no real troubles with the close family, except for stupidity. Have an Aunts family of dysfunctional yabba taking baby dumping, please help me types. Made it plain they can come visit, but they can not stay, they can not borrow, cars motorbikes, rice or money. They just don't bother anymore, no free meal tickets.

Happy to help those that deserve help and do the right thing, but those who are looking for a free ride, get shown the road. Spent too many years as a cop and screw to be taken in by hard luck story's. It is dog eat dog and my family comes first. Jim