Rubber Trees

We have family cutting the other farms. Nothing but trouble. This one is 15km away, and that is why we use others. I go to check almost every day, because I love the cool ride on the bike. Just lucky to catch them out today. I have a RE 500. A plonker, which suits me fine. 

The yield has only gone up this year, so we will just clamp down on it straight away. Cheers mate.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Goanna said:

We have family cutting the other farms. Nothing but trouble. This one is 15km away, and that is why we use others. I go to check almost every day, because I love the cool ride on the bike. Just lucky to catch them out today. I have a RE 500. A plonker, which suits me fine. 

The yield has only gone up this year, so we will just clamp down on it straight away. Cheers mate.

Yeah, this our 8th season tapping. No family these days = no headaches....

Off topic, how you getting on with the Bullet? How many kms? Any probs? Give us a progress report.

1 hour ago, Goanna said:

Screenshot_20180625-125356.png

Nice photo!

Bike looks good, so no problems so far - great.

That panel paint (anti-fungal paste mixed with water) at the end of the tapping season is the only thing we put on the trees.

7 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

Sold cup at auction yesterday, 22.36 baht per kg.

11 bidders, next bid was 22.35 baht per kg, so still money to be made in the game...

B21/kg yesterday. Sucks.

9 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

18 on the gate yesterday apparently.

If we have over 1,000kgs our gate price is the same as the collection depot. But as we're getting 350kgs per time some weight is lost as it dries. Horses for courses.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting thread, I live in Thailand but have 2 rubber tree plots near Davao in the Philippines, or my wife does anyway. One is 2 hectares the other 3 hectares.  I will read this entire thread later this evening when I get the time.  Would like to compare notes if it makes sense.

I found this stuff the cutters were using on the trees on the net. It is a stimulant, and I have told them to stop it.

A farm product guy in the nearest town, says after you have used it, they latex will stop coming after you stop use. So it will take a month before we see what happens. Also, I have noticed over the last month that some panels have stopped producing, and they have had to start new. One tree has  had three goes, and is dry. I dont know if related. So 6 of 1200 have a problem.

We dont have auctions here, just the usual buyers. Most places give 18 baht/ kg. This one 14 rai farm of 1200 trees giving 430 kg now for 9 day odd cycle. We are only cutting 900 trees so far.

20180705_132150.jpg

20180718_131142.jpg

Auction yesterday was 23.00 baht per kg for cup, but we did'nt sell.

20 hours ago, Goanna said:

This one 14 rai farm of 1200 trees giving 430 kg now for 9 day odd cycle. We are only cutting 900 trees so far. 

Production just sounds too high for 14 rai at this time of year - unless it ain't raining where you are.

20 hours ago, Goanna said:

One tree has  had three goes, and is dry. I dont know if related. So 6 of 1200 have a problem.

If you have up to 10% of your trees stop producing over the years, apparently this is quite normal.

ie 76 trees on 1 rai, = 7 don't wanna work anymore and down tools is not unusual.

We have this on some areas of our plantations.

No, very little rain. Most days an afternoon shower for half an hour.

Last year they used nothing, and averaged 350 kg, from 800 trees.

We fertilized at season start with Supertop 15-15-15. 1 kg per 3 trees.

6 hours ago, Goanna said:

No, very little rain. Most days an afternoon shower for half an hour.

Lucky, lucky, lucky.

5 hours ago, grollies said:

No rain, production from 850 trees around 300kgs so sounds about right. Hardly worth doing though.

300 kgs x 20 baht = 6k. Better than a kick in the teeth.

Even at these shItty prices, what else brings 6k a fortnite in from 11 rai? Especially as a small Thai householder tapping his/her own trees.

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

Sold cup at auction yesterday, 22.93 baht per kg.

Decent output for this time of year, a nice few dry days for a change, plus a month since we last sold instead of a fortnight...

We don't have auctions around here, south Sisaket. We have to cop 18 baht a kilo. If another offers 1 baht more, its not worth rusting my car out to get 300 baht. All the buyers have new cars though.

55 minutes ago, Goanna said:

We don't have auctions around here, south Sisaket. We have to cop 18 baht a kilo. If another offers 1 baht more, its not worth rusting my car out to get 300 baht. All the buyers have new cars though.

Yeah, gate prices are around 18 baht per kg around here too. Generally always 4-5 baht less than auction. The only advantage with gate sales is they come to you, you don't have to deliver to auction. Oh and it's immediate pay out. Auction is 24 hours later.

However, if sellers have a choice, only the lazy & incompetent (and I know a few) would rather a 5 baht loss on a kg and take a gate sale.

On 7/31/2018 at 8:25 PM, thaiguzzi said:

Lucky, lucky, lucky.

300 kgs x 20 baht = 6k. Better than a kick in the teeth.

Even at these shItty prices, what else brings 6k a fortnite in from 11 rai? Especially as a small Thai householder tapping his/her own trees.

Yeah but when you split it 50/50 with your tappers it gets less appealing.

10 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

Yeah, gate prices are around 18 baht per kg around here too. Generally always 4-5 baht less than auction. The only advantage with gate sales is they come to you, you don't have to deliver to auction. Oh and it's immediate pay out. Auction is 24 hours later.

However, if sellers have a choice, only the lazy & incompetent (and I know a few) would rather a 5 baht loss on a kg and take a gate sale.

I don't think he's talking about gate sales, he's delivering himself to a collection depot. Price at one here is currently B20/kg.

They won't collect here if you have less than 1,000kg. Stored and did this once, it wasn't worth the hassle and mess.

Yeah but when you split it 50/50 with your tappers it gets less appealing.

Yeah well, 11 rai of rubber and not tapping yourself is not great business in the first place.

If you want to employ tappers and sit back and take the 60% split, then you want a minimum of 30 rai of rubber, preferably 50, and at todays prices, even more...

I don't think he's talking about gate sales, he's delivering himself to a collection depot. Price at one here is currently B20/kg.

They won't collect here if you have less than 1,000kg. Stored and did this once, it wasn't worth the hassle and mess.

Wow!

You guys have got your infrastructure for rubber sales bad!

Definetely a buyer's market where you are!

Gate price here has always meant the price on the gate. Your gate. They come to your farm gate and buy from you. A different price (very slightly lower) to you delivering to their depot.

Then there are crepe buyers, but that seems to have gone quiet round here lately.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived