Rubber Trees

6 hours ago, grollies said:

I can believe that. The price for eucalyptus is good at the moment. A new weigh-in collection depot just opened nearby. Everyone cutting and re-planting. Some rubber round here going down but also trees that are way too small are being tapped.

whats euca a ton down your end at the mo? up here by the time you factor the growing time 2/3 years, paying to cut down then haul 10 ish km to weigh in very little in the pocket at 600/700 baht per ton. that was price last month. 

wife has a few trees that border lands/roads, im happy to see her get a few thousand baht every few years, people buy on sight....

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

Prices for cup are ranging from 15-18 baht depending on where and to whom you sell.

Yet still they are opening new trees here that are 5-6 y/o with a ridiculous diameter. 2 years too young and 20 cms too small....

people must be happy or need to work for the prices stated or else they would just leave the trees to grow ect... says it all, people with plantations are thinking of stopping or will stop if the price gets any lower, like everyone should, yet there are new plantations coming on line to fill the gaps that are not even ready to open.

around us the mass exodus to south korea is cazy, before  young people were paying an arm and a leg to be "sneaked" in but now it is almost just the airfare... even grandfathers are going, have not heard of anyone being turn back for many months.. 

On 11/23/2017 at 10:53 AM, cobbler said:

Good coments guys. Be very careful with your decisions regarding future anything in thai untill at least next 2,3 years.

Sent from my SM-T815Y using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Selling up is definitely the way to go for me! I really want to hit that bucket list! The present "government" (cough, gag) has been in POWER long enough with absolutely no signs of relinquishing the chair. Yes, be very careful in the next few years! Watch the tax increases, fuel increases, etc. Sanctions already put on Thailand will also increase IMHO.

yes ginger price is good and if you are using the new system and machinery that save you the cost and manpower .I willing to guide and teach or even buy from you and if you are keen on planting ginger please watsapps me or pm me .

1 hour ago, thoongfoned said:

looking at all the flooding-rain in the south you would think-hope that it would help the price a little over the coming weeks....fingers and toes crossed.

Each time we sell I check the market rubber price and we consistently get 50% of the quoted price.

Today is B35/kg for cup lump so we'd get B17-18/kg.

I'm not holding my breath.

20 hours ago, thoongfoned said:

looking at all the flooding-rain in the south you would think-hope that it would help the price a little over the coming weeks....fingers and toes crossed.

+1.

Same as this time last year. You'd think so wouldn't you?

Mosha are you talking about the puppeteer? If so, Yes hes got a kid there and another mrs. Theres been many pics on thai websights. Many have been shut down due to the nature of the posts,pics ect. Deffinately not the type of pics a person in that position would be proud of. One would expect more class,but apparently not to be.
I asked my mrs if they were photo shopped but she swears they not.
Its very obvious thais have no respect for this 1. This really worries me,when it comes to security of the country.

Sorry been busy, yes that's him.

Sent from my iris 505 using Tapatalk

54 minutes ago, Mosha said:

OK on ThaiPbs I have read that the PM has assigned the agricultural ministry to tackle the low rubber price.

Has any one looked into growing pepper?

Yep, there's a guy in Vietnam who has used his rubber trees for posts and cropped the canopies out once the plants get established.

Young peppercorn plants need shade. I've got one well-established peppercorn plant that provides enough for us for a year.

Took some cuttings last month but they haven't faired very well.

I've got 6 rai of year 4 rubber. 3 rai coming down for a new project and 3 rai that I've intercroppped with banana and are doing ok.

Once I've had one crop of banana I will move suckers to a new plot and try peppercorn plants.

We'll keep 1,000 rubber trees going - eggs, baskets, etc.

Here's the link:

rubbervietnam.net/growing-pepper-intercropping-on-rubber-plantations/

1 hour ago, Mosha said:

OK on ThaiPbs I have read that the PM has assigned the agricultural ministry to tackle the low rubber price.

Has any one looked into growing pepper?

Yep, there's a guy in Vietnam who has used his rubber trees for posts and cropped the canopies out once the plants get established.

Young peppercorn plants need shade. I've got one well-established peppercorn plant that provides enough for us for a year.

Took some cuttings last month but they haven't faired very well.

I've got 6 rai of year 4 rubber. 3 rai coming down for a new project and 3 rai that I've intercroppped with banana and are doing ok.

Once I've had one crop of banana I will move suckers to a new plot and try peppercorn plants.

We'll keep 1,000 rubber trees going - eggs, baskets, etc.

Watching something this morning from Vietnam. Guy was growing coffee, and ripped it out and planted pepper. He doesn't bother with white pepper, too much work. But he said the world's fast food craze is driving the price.

Harvesting another lot tomorrow. Price today was B15/kg.

We're going to weigh in at mates tapioca depot across the road, pay tappers 50% and store the rubber.

Been advised (by Por Or of a Rubber Research Centre) that the price will go up Jan/Feb as the effects of flooding in the south kicks-in.

52 minutes ago, cobbler said:

Be very carefull storing rubber for long period. Weve done this. Rubber dries out and loses weight.

Yeah, I understand mate, thanks. We're taking advice from a very well-informed chap. We'll see how it goes for another month, probably until we stop tapping.

Cheers for the heads-up though. How long did you store for and what was the weight decrease? I've bagged and tagged the first load and I'll re-check the weight before selling. I'll post up the results here.

Hi grollies.
To be honest mate it was about 4 years ago now. So i forget the loss of weight. It was enough that we swore we were never going to do it again. We only had it stored about 1.5 to 2 months longer than our normal 1 month storage. As we normally sell monthly.
I was stressed itd all be stolen, that didnt happen. 1 word of warning. Dont stack it. The bloody mats stick together. If its not mats deffinately dont store it as itll go mouldy.
For the few bart it "may" go up its just not worth the hassle.
If you really want some extra money ,grow 10x 5 meters of long beens. Much better,not much work either. Put them in little 10 bart bundles with rubber bands around them. Jump on your bike and sell them house to house. Easy. 30 bundles of 500grams each is 15 kg = 300 bart total. Easy . Every 2nd day ,starting from 45 days after planting.

Hey i'm back guys!

Had a week long holiday. Banned by the gestapo, sorry moderators, apparently my 6th time, and I now have 1 point, whatever that means. How time flies...

Obviously i'm a very naughty boy.

Back on topic, sold cup at auction last week, 20.40 baht per kg, and hence back to a 60/40 split.

On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 5:19 PM, grollies said:

Yeah, I understand mate, thanks. We're taking advice from a very well-informed chap. We'll see how it goes for another month, probably until we stop tapping.

Cheers for the heads-up though. How long did you store for and what was the weight decrease? I've bagged and tagged the first load and I'll re-check the weight before selling. I'll post up the results here.

Grollies; wet and totally dry cup should have completely different prices. But the only people I know who store rubber are smoked sheet producers. Cup is not designed for long term storage and I wouldn't do it. If you go that route, it needs totally drying out on stakes in the sun prior to bagging as you are going to run into mould and fungus problems.

On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 10:22 PM, cobbler said:

Hi grollies.
To be honest mate it was about 4 years ago now. So i forget the loss of weight. It was enough that we swore we were never going to do it again. We only had it stored about 1.5 to 2 months longer than our normal 1 month storage. As we normally sell monthly.
I was stressed itd all be stolen, that didnt happen. 1 word of warning. Dont stack it. The bloody mats stick together. If its not mats deffinately dont store it as itll go mouldy.
For the few bart it "may" go up its just not worth the hassle.
If you really want some extra money ,grow 10x 5 meters of long beens. Much better,not much work either. Put them in little 10 bart bundles with rubber bands around them. Jump on your bike and sell them house to house. Easy. 30 bundles of 500grams each is 15 kg = 300 bart total. Easy . Every 2nd day ,starting from 45 days after planting.

+1. Wot he said. Do not store cup, only sheet. And long term sheet storage needs to be smoked and stored in a well designed storage area.

Regards,

the Naughty One...

• 2 weeks later...
Hey i'm back guys!
Had a week long holiday. Banned by the gestapo, sorry moderators, apparently my 6th time, and I now have 1 point, whatever that means. How time flies...
Obviously i'm a very naughty boy.
Back on topic, sold cup at auction last week, 20.40 baht per kg, and hence back to a 60/40 split.

+1. Wot he said. Do not store cup, only sheet. And long term sheet storage needs to be smoked and stored in a well designed storage area.
Regards,
 the Naughty One...
1 pt, I think I'm on 2 or 3. We have some way to go I think.

Archived