Rubber Trees

Scot, have no idea what a provincial rubber office is. We have private buyers, Co ops and 2 Government agencies that buy. Only the private buyers set a price on sale. The Government buyers pay the wholesale auction price minus costs and an adim charge. The Co ops take the rubber to a bigger auction and on sale the price is set.

We have had both Gov and private buyers saying high prices, but when you go they down grade the rubber to grade 5, so never pay the advertised price.

As I said you can only go on what you get in your hand. Jim

Jim,

Every province (growing rubber) has a rubber office! Try the transliteration here... OngKan Yang Para and ask where it is in (Korat??) or (Udon??) - the province you live in. Just got back to CM and will be going down the road literally 4 km to the "rubber office" in the morning to take pics. Perhaps your govt. buyers are not what they appear to be.

No one is ever who they say or try to appear to be, just the nature of the way things are done here. Jim

Scot, have no idea what a provincial rubber office is. We have private buyers, Co ops and 2 Government agencies that buy. Only the private buyers set a price on sale. The Government buyers pay the wholesale auction price minus costs and an adim charge. The Co ops take the rubber to a bigger auction and on sale the price is set.

We have had both Gov and private buyers saying high prices, but when you go they down grade the rubber to grade 5, so never pay the advertised price.

As I said you can only go on what you get in your hand. Jim

Jim,

Every province (growing rubber) has a rubber office! Try the transliteration here... OngKan Yang Para and ask where it is in (Korat??) or (Udon??) - the province you live in. Just got back to CM and will be going down the road literally 4 km to the "rubber office" in the morning to take pics. Perhaps your govt. buyers are not what they appear to be.

No one is ever who they say or try to appear to be, just the nature of the way things are done here. Jim

Jim,

Been here for 32 years and have only had problems with one ATM chaser. laugh.png - that problem was solved quickly.... We've done most of the farming, construction, and property ventures that people can play within reason. All in all, we've either been lucky or they're (anyone wanting to cause us grief..) scared s_itless of my wife!!!giggle.gif

David is that mats or kee yang?

if Kee yang is wet cup then kee yang.......coffee1.gif

it's peeing down again for two days now so who knows when we can cut or sell next ...bugger!!!!!

Seems a cloud burst is waiting every time they tap. Lost another tapper today, just not enough rubber and very low prices. You can't blame them, out they go to tap and when they get some the price is so low that it does not justify the work.

It will be sticky rice for us before long. Jim

it's peeing down again for two days now so who knows when we can cut or sell next ...bugger!!!!!

No it's not.

2 dry nights in Ranong then back to normal

Chinese car sale are up on last year according to some agency and rubber futures have climbed on the futures market 4 days in a row,

Don't make much difference at the moment, as we are hardly getting any rubber. Things will pick up in October, wish I had the money to buy now and wait. Jim

• Like 1

Seems a cloud burst is waiting every time they tap. Lost another tapper today, just not enough rubber and very low prices. You can't blame them, out they go to tap and when they get some the price is so low that it does not justify the work.

Just hired 2 tappers from the village, they were day tappers. Meaning they were paid a wage for the tap, not a %. They sit and wait and have not worked in 10 days [rain]. They are not the type to head to BKK for work, so at least they will get to tap and get a %, rather than sit and wait for the plantation owner to call and hire them for a night.

Good for me I get 2 for the one that left. Now I am up to 8 plus one worker, need 3 more, but as we are doing a lot of cup, not sheet, because of rain. No hurry for workers.

Rubber futures market is bullish according to reports, looks like I may get through another year without the fear of having to find a job. Jim

Just hired 2 tappers from the village, they were day tappers. Meaning they were paid a wage for the tap, not a %. They sit and wait and have not worked in 10 days [rain]. They are not the type to head to BKK for work, so at least they will get to tap and get a %, rather than sit and wait for the plantation owner to call and hire them for a night.

Good for me I get 2 for the one that left. Now I am up to 8 plus one worker, need 3 more, but as we are doing a lot of cup, not sheet, because of rain. No hurry for workers.

Rubber futures market is bullish according to reports, looks like I may get through another year without the fear of having to find a job. Jim

Are they all on the 100 rai?

Do you need them to run and collect yang if it starts raining?

Ho many trees does 1 person tap?

Does the same person collect the yang after they tap?

Or do you have seperate people collect?

Cheers Cobbler

No there are 4 plantations a family on each, but the biggest plantation had

2 families. They hire or have family who help out collecting and making sheet. Up to them, each is in charge of their own plot. The trees are theirs to take care of, I just take my percentage. They live on and off in the plantations. the problem is that they can not see the long term returns. When things are not good, like now they leave, they just don't see that in the long term they will be better off.

By the way the new tappers went off to tap and the rains have come, again. jim

• Like 1

2 families. They hire or have family who help out collecting and making sheet. Up to them, each is in charge of their own plot. The trees are theirs to take care of, I just take my percentage. They live on and off in the plantations. the problem is that they can not see the long term returns. When things are not good, like now they leave, they just don't see that in the long term they will be better off.

Jim,

Have you thought of giving them retainers - a small monthly salary? Do you have any other agri-business they could tend to?

Jim,

Have you thought of giving them retainers - a small monthly salary? Do you have any other agri-business they could tend to?

Give them rice and food, soft loans in the down times, it's like many here, me included. Everyone spent on bikes and cars when things were good, but when things are bad the payments stay the same. No different than the west now, no work, better find a job or lose all you are worked for.

When the price rises again, will have people banging on the door looking for work. Jim

No there are 4 plantations a family on each, but the biggest plantation had 2 families. They hire or have family who help out collecting and making sheet. Up to them, each is in charge of their own plot. The trees are theirs to take care of, I just take my percentage. They live on and off in the plantations. the problem is that they can not see the long term returns. When things are not good, like now they leave, they just don't see that in the long term they will be better off. By the way the new tappers went off to tap and the rains have come, again. jim
Jim, Have you thought of giving them retainers - a small monthly salary? Do you have any other agri-business they could tend to?
Give them rice and food, soft loans in the down times, it's like many here, me included. Everyone spent on bikes and cars when things were good, but when things are bad the payments stay the same. No different than the west now, no work, better find a job or lose all you are worked for. When the price rises again, will have people banging on the door looking for work. Jim

Jim,

Yep.... patience is a virtue.... I've been subsidizing all our farm efforts for 25 yrs. at times of drought and famine....

My observations, We are at last years total rainfall figures, 2 wet months to go. Growing rubber in Ranong is a fools errand. It was never this wet when the rubber was maturing, but the last 18 months as left me thinking anywhere but here.

Come buying the fertilizer time, money is better spent on renewing my visa

Edited by Mosha

My observations, We are at last years total rainfall figures, 2 wet months to go. Growing rubber in Ranong is a fools errand. It was never this wet when the rubber was maturing, but the last 18 months as left me thinking anywhere but here.

Come buying the fertilizer time, money is better spent on renewing my visa

Nature of farming, good and bad times. If you can live through the bad, then you will be laughing all the way to the bank in the good. Jim
  • Like 1

Shanghai rubber futures hit limit up on Fed stimulus spacer.gifspacer.gif

TOKYO, Sept 14 (Reuters) – The key Shanghai rubber futures rose by their daily limit of 24,675 yuan per tonne early on Friday after the Federal Reserve launched a new stimulus programme for the U.S. economy.

The benchmark Tokyo Commodity Exchange rubber contract for February delivery earlier surged 5.8 percent or 14 yen to 255.6 yen per kg, the highest in two months. The contract was trading up 4.8 percent at 253.1 yen as of 0110 GMT. (Reporting by Yuko Inoue; Editing by Michael Watson)

• Like 1

Shanghai rubber futures hit limit up on Fed stimulus spacer.gifspacer.gif

TOKYO, Sept 14 (Reuters) – The key Shanghai rubber futures rose by their daily limit of 24,675 yuan per tonne early on Friday after the Federal Reserve launched a new stimulus programme for the U.S. economy.

The benchmark Tokyo Commodity Exchange rubber contract for February delivery earlier surged 5.8 percent or 14 yen to 255.6 yen per kg, the highest in two months. The contract was trading up 4.8 percent at 253.1 yen as of 0110 GMT. (Reporting by Yuko Inoue; Editing by Michael Watson)

A bit of the silver lining beginning to appear!!!