Amazing Thailand

ableguy

I was in Bangkok last week for a couple of days and in hotel ptcked up the book " The teachings of Buddha" sat next to Gideons bible, leafing through the book I came accross an interesting page which talked about filling the four large holes and that any practicing Buddhist should strive every day of their life to do this. Reading on I gathered that filling four large holes was refering to the four largest sins which were, and get this, Adultary, Falsehoods Murder and Theft I got a laugh out of that one as within the last couple of years it was suggested to members of parliment that being an MP they should set an example and not visit massage parlours, girlie bars, Kareoke or have minor wives. This suggestion was howled down. Ref the murder one, dont know any murderers but gathered they can be hired for around 10,000 baht, as for theft and falsehood have not yet met a Thai who given the chance would not rob me blind and have never met a Thai who is not a profound liar.

What is to be a Buddhist ? am I missing the big picture, I do love Thailand but it does confuse me, religion, politics, the slaughter in the South, corruption, just about every facet of life here seems to me is the opposite to what Buddha would have wanted and preached. Where am I going wrong ?

It seems that the OP has a short supply of reason and intellect with an overdose of racism.:jerk:

My wife sometimes asks the same questions.

I just tell her she thinks too much and what she sees is just an illusion.

It seems that the OP has a short supply of reason and intellect with an overdose of racism.:jerk:

It seems as he keeps a very tight circle of certain Thai company to broadly cast the same old general stereotypes. A broader variety of exposure and experience would certainly be a benefit........or perhaps it wouldn't, some will automatically call on aspersions towards the whole society from limited experience.

I've heard many people say similar things but you could just as easily pick a bible up in the USA and ask exactly the same questions. It's pretty lame to beat people over the head with standards they aspire to just because they rarely meet them. Very few people around the world do.

If you haven't met a Thai person who wouldn't rob you or lie to you then you need to look at changing your social circle.

Edited by inthepink

I've heard many people say similar things but you could just as easily pick a bible up in the USA and ask exactly the same questions. It's pretty lame to beat people over the head with standards they aspire to just because they rarely meet them. Very few people around the world do.

If you haven't met a Thai person who wouldn't rob you or lie to you then you need to look at changing your social circle.

Or country. B)

I do love Thailand but it does confuse me, religion, politics, the slaughter in the South, corruption, just about every facet of life here seems to me is the opposite to what Buddha would have wanted and preached.

Surely the OP is aware that the slaughter is not being carried out by Buddhists?

Or country. B)

If the OP attracts that kind of person then I don't think a change of country will help.

I do love Thailand but it does confuse me, religion, politics, the slaughter in the South, corruption, just about every facet of life here seems to me is the opposite to what Buddha would have wanted and preached.

Surely the OP is aware that the slaughter is not being carried out by Buddhists?

Yet it was instigated some 100+ years ago by supposed Buddhists.....with the help of their Christian friends.

A good question but I predict a very short life-span for this thread.

You're right! Forum rules:

7) Not to post slurs or degrading comments directed towards any group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

8) Not to post extremely negative views of Thailand or derogatory comments directed towards all Thais.

Topic Closed.