If You Have Stayed In England Between 1980 And 1996 You Can Not Donate Blood In Thailand!

TheVinylMan

Just so people know.

I have just ridden from the other side of Samut Prakan to The Chulalonghorn Hospital in Silom for the Urgent A NEG blood donations that has been requested on here.

During Screening........ the question comes up .......... have you stayed in England between 1980 and 1996............ I answered Yes.......... Sorry you can not donate blood as there was an Anthrax Epidemic in England during that time................ Its the first i have heard of that!!!!!!!!!!!!! This information came from the Thai Red Cross Blood Donation Centre on Henri Durant Road.!!!!

So to the Guy who is wanting A NEG blood asap.............. Sorry pal ............. I tried but my blood is not good enough for you.

I wanted to give blood in Germany many moons ago, and was asked the same question, I answered yes and was told I could not give blood as there was the BSE (Mad Cows Disease) Epidemic at the time.

I wanted to give blood in Germany many moons ago, and was asked the same question, I answered yes and was told I could not give blood as there was the BSE (Mad Cows Disease) Epidemic at the time.

Perhaps she meant the BSE epidemic............... but she told me anthrax .... I just starting on google to see what went on in the UK between 1980 and 1996............ think you could be right with the BSE thing

It was BSE, I remember it well.

Yer your right........................... just got this off a vCJD medical report..........

FDA mandated that blood centers must defer donors who spent greater than 6 months in the UK from 1980 through 1996. The 6 month period was adopted so that >80% of total US person-years in the UK would be excluded. The resulting 2 to 3% decrease in eligible blood donors was absorbed by blood centers without causing serious blood shortages. The FDA is currently considering issuing an expanded deferral to include all potential blood donors who have lived in the UK for 3 months or any European country for 6 months since 1980. This policy will eliminate approximately 8% of all current blood donors. If this occurs, severe blood component shortages, especially during summer months and holidays, are inevitable.

Last Updated on Friday, 14 May 2010

Thanks for the information. After seeing the urgent request for blood and as i used to donate in the UK for many years I thought I would start doing the same here. Now seems I would be wasting my time. It is strange though that my blood would be fine in the UK but not here.

Thanks for the information. After seeing the urgent request for blood and as i used to donate in the UK for many years I thought I would start doing the same here. Now seems I would be wasting my time. It is strange though that my blood would be fine in the UK but not here.

Yep I've known that for many years now.All to do with the mad cow disease.Australia definaltely won't take your blood either.

The human version of BSE is called Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease or CJD.

For some time blood donors in Australia have had to declare any stay in Britain during the periods mentioned. I was able to donate as the time I had spent in England was just less than the period deemed to be dangerous.

(not enough time to eat a sufficient amount of beef? :blink: )

Very nice of you to try to donate as I do know whom is in urgent need of the blood. Very frustrating you could not. Anthrax? wouldnt you be dead by now ? Mad Cow disease? Would you be sick by now?

not sure what to think but I will pass this on to the staff of the person in need as I think they will find it nice to see that people, strangers do care about their boss and in contributing in general.