True 100Mbps Fiber

seriouseats

It's cable as they are also transporting TrueVision over same wire. I doubt very much they are running fibre to the pole and then coax into the house, but hey, it's Thailand...

Modem is Motorola Surfboard SB 5101NE, and I'm pretty sure it's coming in on coax.

Been down twice since yesterday, but otherwise it's a super connection.

Looks like you nailed it. The people I know who know this stuff say that you've probably got a Cable TV connection - that True is running Cable TV to your house, then providing the 20 Mbps line over cable TV coax.

It ain't fiber optic. I just changed the description of True's 20 Mbps line on www.phuketinternetspeed.com

You say they're offering TrueVision over the same cable. Any idea about prices? If it's significantly cheaper than the dishes, hey, I'll change in a New York minute - especially if they offer HDTV on more than just two channels.

Correct. I spoke with the True guys who were running cable near my home & they confirmed it was coaxial to provide both cable TV & internet. From what I have been reading here it sounds pretty sensational.

Correct. I spoke with the True guys who were running cable near my home & they confirmed it was coaxial to provide both cable TV & internet. From what I have been reading here it sounds pretty sensational.

Wish I could get it in Patong! I'm paying a fortune for UBC, er, True Vision.

Can cable really do 100mbps + HDTV?

Funny, because cable can actually transmit far higher speed than phone copper. ADSL is limited to around 24Mb whereas cable can go up into the 100's of Mb.

The True cable lines can support both HD TV, SD TV and (I presume) up to 100Mb Internet in parallel.

@Woody - it's a new cable product. I didn't have cable from True previously, but they have been laying nodes all around the southern part of the island for a few months now. Each moo ban will get a node every 50m or so. They then simply run a new cable from the node to your house. When you sign up they give 70m free cable and then it's 25 baht per m above this.

The telcos have no where to go now other than offer FTTH since their old copper wires cant transmit above 24-27Mb (if they can even get to there).

But FTTH is a different technology from this, I think. This is coax cable, not fiber. As you note, cable works very well, but it isn't as fast as FTTH - at least in theory. In practice, of course, anything can happen.

Right now, people with cable modems in the US are getting 20 to 30 Mbps quite reliably.

It's interesting from a regulatory point of view, too. I think there are restrictions on running fiber. But any cable TV company can run cable.