Electricity Bills Constantly Rising !

or the OP could come back and settle the issue rather quickly by responding to the question posted several times already in this thread.

does he get the bill from the meter readers or from his landlord,

Firts of all i would like to thank everyone for their input and advice.

We get the electric bill directly from the electricity company not from the landlord, I have been given several recommendations for good qualified electricians and have made appointment to get the whole system checked and evaluated, Hopefully once this has been done we will have a clearer picture of whats going on. Will keep you posted as to the outcome as I am sure there are others on the island encountering the same problem.

Again thanks to everyone for all the hel;p and sound advice and suggestions.

Cheers :-)

thank you for coming back to the thread and as it is apparently not a landlord related issue, i'm sure a few people here would appreciate it if you post again once a qualified person has looked it over.

Do what I used to do in the UK and still do here.check the meter reading...does it match the units on the bill

The receptionist at my first apartment was very embarrassed when I caught her off guard with this. She was raking almost 500 off me monthly until I checked.

Turn off everything in your house and have a look and see if the meter is still turning.

Then throw the main switch if you have one and check again.

I once had a worker camp shack tap into my garden lights with nails and twisted wire !! :lol:

Hope this helps

Just tried this ..turned everything off and the meter stopped !! Maybe you know a good Farang electrician who could come and check out the wiring and maybe test the appliances to see whats eating so much power?

You have some sort of problem with the meter. Call the company again to check it. Don't pay the bill until they check it. :)

The meter that is.

yes, great idea, he can tell himself he is in the right while sitting in the dark.

thank you for coming back to the thread and as it is apparently not a landlord related issue, i'm sure a few people here would appreciate it if you post again once a qualified person has looked it over.

Ok, we have had a very professional British qualified electrician come to evaluate everything and as many of you suspected, several cables have been found spliced to our line at different points..We could actually see where our cable had been cut and then split into 2 or even 3 lines!!

Also the electric system in the house are also of a very bad standard with no earthing, wrong breakers etc etc. potentially very dangerous wiring. he also sad that with the aplliances, fans lights etc we do have, our bill should be no more than 1200 a month.

So he recommended putting in a brand new line as it is difficult to tell exactly what cables go where and a complete rewiring of the faulty system. Work will start this week and should be done in a few days.

If anyone is experiencing similar problems and wants the contact details details for guy we are using just PM me and I will be happy to give you his number.

Thanks again for everyones input and help with this.

Cheers

Nick

Ok, we have had a very professional British qualified electrician come to evaluate everything and as many of you suspected, several cables have been found spliced to our line at different points..We could actually see where our cable had been cut and then split into 2 or even 3 lines!!

Also the electric system in the house are also of a very bad standard with no earthing, wrong breakers etc etc. potentially very dangerous wiring. he also sad that with the aplliances, fans lights etc we do have, our bill should be no more than 1200 a month.

So he recommended putting in a brand new line as it is difficult to tell exactly what cables go where and a complete rewiring of the faulty system. Work will start this week and should be done in a few days.

If anyone is experiencing similar problems and wants the contact details details for guy we are using just PM me and I will be happy to give you his number.

Thanks again for everyones input and help with this.

Cheers

Nick

dam_n. that's unfortunate but at least you know what is going on. i've noticed lots of outlets here in thailand aren't grounded. always have some staff that ask me to plug something in for them because they are scared of getting "chock". good luck.

• 4 weeks later...

I may have set a new record. My electrical bill this month was 18.653 THB...

:lol:

bloody hell what is your secret ? so elctric quality is going down with power cuts and prices are rising ?

Usually my bills are around 9/10 for one location and around 7 for the other loc. Can be on a range of +- 500 Baht.

Last bill was 12500 for one and 11.000 for the second. No explanations from the electric company, I'll see in a few days the new bill...