Australian Pensioner Contemplating Marriage

richardjm65

I have an Aussie friend in his 70's living in LOS with his Thai GF. If he marries her, will he be entitled to any increase in pension if he continues to live here or, indeed, if he were to return with her to Australia to live.

Since he is also tidying up his financial affairs, if he should die, would his wife be entitled to a widow's pension?

I've suggested that he should also make two wills, one in respect of his Thai assets, the second in respect of assets in Australia. Any comments?

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

He will recieve a 20% or so decrease in his pension. This is because he currenly will recieve the single rate. The pension in Australia is an individual thing so as they consider a single person would need more to live on for utilities than half of a couple he recieves less. If his wife were eligible for a penion she would recieve the reduced rate too. She however will not be eligle.

This does not depend on marriage. If he is living with someone and Centrelink knows his pensio9n will reduce too.

Interestingly this applies to Gay couples too so a gay pensioner living with a thai partner will also have his pension reduced if they become aware of it. This may be by applying for a visa or telling Centrelink.

Of course all changes of circumstances must be immediately reported to Centrelink so I am sure everyone does.

Edited by harrry

In other words if his new wife were to reside in Australia with him and be of an age to apply for the pension then they as a couple would get more than he does now as a single. I gather this is probably not the case.

As far as his will and other affairs go I dont know, somehow I dont think she will be entitled to a widows pension though. The Centrelink web site will spell it out in no uncertain terms.

In other words if his new wife were to reside in Australia with him and be of an age to apply for the pension then they as a couple would get more than he does now as a single. I gather this is probably not the case.

As far as his will and other affairs go I dont know, somehow I dont think she will be entitled to a widows pension though. The Centrelink web site will spell it out in no uncertain terms.

THere is a 10 year residence minimum requirement for age pension. There is no widow's pension.