Air Asia Shame On You

Gonzo the Face

A few days back, I volunteered to help a good friend, who just happens to have been disabled and is in a wheelchair. He was desirous of going to Jakarta to visit some extended family. Having some experience of the area from having lived there, and still having friends there,I suggested that maybe he would'nt mind if I went along for the trip.

I told him I would look into the tickets, as I thought I could do so on the internet. I thought so as I posted on another thread.

But having no luck, we threw his wheelchair into the car and went down to the airport to see Air Asia in living color.

Was I ever in for a shock. After asking about the schedule, to Jakarta, they asked my friend, "Jakarta, can you walk" . After answering "no", the young lady boldly and unashamedly said to my friend , " I'm sorry but we cannot take you"

I have flown on Air Asia only once, and did think that they were a pretty savey and up to date airline. But what Airline today, refuses to take a disabled person in a wheelchair.

There was no mistaking what the young lady said or meant. NO WHEELCHAIR PERSONS"

I asked to see a supervisor, who of course wasn't there. Indicated I would like to contact one, they produced a lined sheet of paper with a letterhead, I would guess as a complaint form. I declined and said I would go to the internet.

I can see if it would have been a small 30 passenger plane or a dinky little airport, but this journey would expose him to none of these.

I have to tell you I felt bad for my friend , probably worse than he did. He kept his cool and sense of humor through it all as he probably is used to being treated this way in Asia. So much for LOS.

Little humorous note on him though, When the girl asked him "Jakarta, can you walk", he straight facedly answered "No I can't thats why I want to fly."

I tell you this instance will probably cut down on me making "cripple Jokes". Its about time to stop anyway.

But I tell you it will be a cold day in **LL when I fly Air Asia again cost be damned.

:o

This is not a full service airline and they may not use terminal gates at all locations so suspect that it is there policy; at least for connecting flights on that route. There terms are as below:

7.3 Special Assistance: Acceptance for carriage of incapacitated persons, persons with illness or other people requiring special assistance is subject to prior arrangement with us. Passengers with disabilities who have advised us of any special requirements they may have at the time of booking of the Seat and been accepted by us, shall not subsequently be refused carriage on the basis of such disability or special requirements. We may charge a fee for providing these special requirements.

• 3 years later...
To my knowledge, I think a lot of the discount airlines are similar to Air Asia. I read the fine print of Tiger Airways the other day and it says something similar.

In the case of airlines operating in Australia, to or from Australia or where tickets are booked in Australia airlines must carry wheelchairs and and all other medical or mobility equipment needed. Details can be found on the HREOC website and in the The Disability Standards for Accessible Public Transport 2002.

Budget airlines have tried to worm out but have been rebuffed allready. THey know it and it can be expensive for them if they do not comply.

Airasia is a fantastic airline. They clearly state the services they can and shall provide as well as the charges that come with it. I have had superb deals on them and definitely support their business model. Its too bad for you and your friend to experience a difficult time but perhaps you should know the way an airline operates that you plan to travel with in the future.

Airasia is a fantastic airline. They clearly state the services they can and shall provide as well as the charges that come with it. I have had superb deals on them and definitely support their business model. Its too bad for you and your friend to experience a difficult time but perhaps you should know the way an airline operates that you plan to travel with in the future.

To each , their own, ..... In the years since ths OP was written, I have seen nothing to change my opinion of the airline.

I would draw your attention to the post immediately prior to yours.

I fully accept your right to your opinion and just pray that you never find yourself confined to a wheelchair. But your opinion is noted and respected.

Gonzo

Air Asia is you get what you pay for. But a little side line. I just printed out my e itinerary and the small print is one full page of print that is unreadable save a looking glass.

Never seen anything like that before. Cant say they did not warn you. But you just cant beat them. A family of 4 on a summer holiday to phuket for 2200 baht round trip.

To each , their own, ..... In the years since ths OP was written, I have seen nothing to change my opinion of the airline.

I would draw your attention to the post immediately prior to yours.

I fully accept your right to your opinion and just pray that you never find yourself confined to a wheelchair. But your opinion is noted and respected.

Gonzo

Airasia does give passage to people with disabilities. You do however need to notify them while booking your ticket. Thats my understanding. I am not 100% sure though. And perhaps someday should I end up on a wheelchair, I shall learn beforehand on anything that might upset my travel needs as to not be in the position you and your friend were in. Seems insensitive on their part but I guess thats just the way it is!

Airasia has frustrated me many a times as well when they started off. But I've learned how to deal with the rules that they have put out forward in exchange for cheap fares. Rules that were unthought off a decade ago with other airlines. Pay for your baggage and meals? <deleted> !

They were probably the first ones to remove Fuel Surcharges in the region while THAI still carries on with them! Hope you have a better experience if you ever decide to travel with them again.

TB..

I flew with them last June to HCMC and bought the express boarding for a few extra baht, seemed nice enough. Arrived at Swampy from CNX, and it seems as all Air Asia planes are parked away from the terminal and you're correct, no jetways to board.

I was unaware of their no w/c policy, but on my flight to Saigon, they loaded us snobs in "Xpress Boarding" into a van right outside the door.

A Air Asia employee walked up to the van carrying a white guy with his wife right behind and loaded him into the van sitting right next to me. He was "crippled".

Right nice guy to, even being a Aussie no less. Loaded up and away we went to the plane.

Well, sitting next to him we were of course the last two sitting in the van after all 13 or so unloaded and I could see that the Air Asia guy was exhausted from luggin' this guy around the terminal, so I stepped past him inside the van, lifted him out of the van and carried him up into the aircraft and placed him into his seat.

So, in my experience, Air Asia might have made this guy pay for the camel service, but they were doing everything possible to take care of this customer.

And I had a nice flight to and fro.

Edited by gpdjohn

@Gonzo

When you book a flight with Air Asia you have to tick the box below. And then the following Text is shown. You've probably overseen that, because the default value is "No".

________________________________________________________________________________

Do you have any special needs? Yes No

Please contact the call centre 48 hours before flight departure if you require assistance. AirAsia can carry only a maximum of 8 guests per flight who have reduced mobility* provided that quadraplegic guests are limited to not more than 4 per flight. Under certain circumstances we may require the guest to travel with a companion.

* 'reduced mobility' refers to paraplegic or quadriplegic guests.

Failure to notify us of assistance needed will result in the service being unavailable upon your arrival at the airport and you being refused carriage. For health and safety reasons guests with specific requirements must check-in at the airport.

I have flown AA "long haul" ( Aust - Thailand) with two "wheelie" guys before. As is set out below they contacted AA about 3 or 4 days before the flight and everything was arranged. AA was FANTASTIC and I do really mean fantastic with the way they helped those guys out. Have flown with a lot of 'full service" airlines with those two guys as well and AA service was at least as good as theirs and in one or two points far better.

@Gonzo

When you book a flight with Air Asia you have to tick the box below. And then the following Text is shown. You've probably overseen that, because the default value is "No".

________________________________________________________________________________

Please contact the call centre 48 hours before flight departure if you require assistance. AirAsia can carry only a maximum of 8 guests per flight who have reduced mobility* provided that quadraplegic guests are limited to not more than 4 per flight. Under certain circumstances we may require the guest to travel with a companion.

Failure to notify us of assistance needed will result in the service being unavailable upon your arrival at the airport and you being refused carriage. For health and safety reasons guests with specific requirements must check-in at the airport.

I suspect that if the ticket agent had explained in a more polite manner why she couldn't accommodate the customer, there would have been no hard feelings. Especially with the disabled fellow's sense of humor. However, at times, Thailand is anything but, "The Land of Smiles," when it comes to common courtesy.

@Gonzo

Actually the default to [/font]Do you have any special needs? Yes No

was set to Yes before and there were complaints to that. So AA changed the default to No.

I suspect that if the ticket agent had explained in a more polite manner why she couldn't accommodate the customer, there would have been no hard feelings. Especially with the disabled fellow's sense of humor. However, at times, Thailand is anything but, "The Land of Smiles," when it comes to common courtesy.

That might have been the problem. She could have perhaps explained in a more appropriate manner.

I feel sorry for everyone in a wheelchair in Thailand. Asian cities are not designed for anyone with physical disabilities. Sidewalks are NOT for walking. They are used for parking motorbikes or trucks, or for the nearby shop keeper to place his wares on display. That means anyone walking has to do so in the street amongst the traffic. There are few if any ramps to get onto a sidewalk or around the many obstacles in the street. Only the paved beach walkways in the few tourist centers like Pattaya are designed for walkers, and would be suitable for wheelchairs. Lord help anyone with a physical disability in Asia.

I feel sorry for everyone in a wheelchair in Thailand. Asian cities are not designed for anyone with physical disabilities. Sidewalks are NOT for walking. They are used for parking motorbikes or trucks, or for the nearby shop keeper to place his wares on display. That means anyone walking has to do so in the street amongst the traffic. There are few if any ramps to get onto a sidewalk or around the many obstacles in the street. Only the paved beach walkways in the few tourist centers like Pattaya are designed for walkers, and would be suitable for wheelchairs. Lord help anyone with a physical disability in Asia.

Actually it generally isnt too bad here although places are innacessble. People are generally willing to help and are very good at working ways round. Of course there are exceptions like Chiang Mai University which has a fully accessible library with a proper wheelchair ramp and insists on putting barriers across it.

She could have perhaps explained in a more appropriate manner.

Indeed.

I am sorry to say that, on two recent occasions, and within a very short period of time, I have witnessed overt rudeness and disdain from Air Asia staff towards (foreign) people of dark skin colour and/or particular religious dress.

This open rudeness and apparent sense of superiority came from very young people in "service" positions with an "international airline" :o . I felt very upset for the people (tourists, it appeared) concerned.

She could have perhaps explained in a more appropriate manner.

Indeed.

I am sorry to say that, on two recent occasions, and within a very short period of time, I have witnessed overt rudeness and disdain from Air Asia staff towards (foreign) people of dark skin colour and/or particular religious dress.

This open rudeness and apparent sense of superiority came from very young people in "service" positions with an "international airline" :o . I felt very upset for the people (tourists, it appeared) concerned.

I am afraid that seems to be more of racism and perhaps more individual in nature rather than from any particular company be it an airline or anything else. The owner of Airasia is of South Indian decent, Malaysian of course and doesn't have a very fair skin tone.

I am afraid that seems to be more of racism

Tigerbeer, do you mean that my comments were about racism rather than attitudes towards people with handicaps?

and perhaps more individual in nature rather than from any particular company be it an airline or anything else.

Sure; but I have to say that I have never seen anything even remotely like this behaviour from staff of other airlines. Thai Air is the only other regional airline I have much experience with, and I simply cannot begin to imagine this kind of behaviour from the Thai Air staff I have dealt with. In my experience, Thai Air staff are routinely and rigidly, almost frigidly, though ever-smilingly, polite. (Perhaps the pay with Air Asia isn't too good? I don't know.)

It was all extremely un-Thai behaviour, in my experience and I was, genuinely, somewhat shocked.

I have previously witnessed signals ranging from more subtle (almost imperceptible lift of eye brows or shift of eye pupils, for example) to rather less subtle (tilt of the head and glance, etc.) and looks or words exchanged behind peoples' backs, or after they had left ... but not this very open rudeness.

In the first case, at the check-in counter, it was something like watching a hostile teenager having to deal with a parent or teacher in front of the peer group; displaying open disdain and the group relaying looks to confirm the sentiment. The group of foreign people in question were of a religion revealed by their dress. The tourists' behaviour was in no way provocative; quite to the contrary. I admired the style with which they dealt with this rudeness.

In the second case, a man of African origin mildly queried, via a gesture of bewilderment, the Air Asia staff's refusal to serve him before the heaving mass of others "queueing" to board, despite his having patiently stood at the service counter for about 10 minutes, while everyone else sat and waited for the announcement. One of the two staff checking boarding passes threw a few rude comments in English (audible within 2-3 metres) and looks at the man and continued to look disdainful and huffy as he worked.

I know it's not always easy for young Thais to take control in situations such as this, but it could have easily and discreetly been accomplished, had the will been there. I had earlier seen the attitude of the staff when this man appeared at the counter and the rolling of their eyes when he politely stated that he preferred to stand. He wasn't being or appearing difficult. From what I gathered (sitting nearby and able to hear bits of some slightly nervous phone calls), he was simply rather eager to be one of the first off the plane to meet or reunite with a "teerak". This treatment was understandably beginning to sour his special occasion.

(Funnily, this gentleman ended up sitting a few rows in front of me with a pair of very pretty, polite and proficiently English-speaking blonde European twins in their early 20's :o . They engaged in conversation during the flight and the sourness was dissipated, I think. I hope the rest of his day went well from there on.)

The owner of Airasia is of South Indian decent, Malaysian of course and doesn't have a very fair skin tone.

Perhaps I ought to write to him, then, or perhaps he simply doesn't care about training his service staff.

Edited by horizon

I have previously witnessed signals ranging from more subtle (almost imperceptible lift of eye brows or shift of eye pupils, for example) to rather less subtle (tilt of the head and glance, etc.) and looks or words exchanged behind peoples' backs, or after they had left ... but not this very open rudeness.

Just to clarify my words - what I mean here, is amongst the general population, not airline/service staff in particular.

Edited by horizon

AirAsia is a low cost airline. You should fly full service airline to get full service.

Imagine walking into a Mac restaurant sit down and expect to be served, BECAUSE other restaurant have waiters to serves their guest at the table. Or try to take a public bus in Thailand and expect the bus to knee down + special assistance + a place to store the wheel chair, BECAUSE buses in London (and in many other European & US city) does that.

AirAsia and most low cost airlines in this part of the world cut as many service as possible to reduce cost. It may hurt 1%, but it benefit 99% of the passengers. To lower cost, turn around for AA flight is typically 30 mins compared to 2 hours for TG flight. They cannot affort to handle people with special need, without increasing cost to their operation, or managed 30mins turn around schedule. If they can legally refuse to take handicap people and children, they probably would.

In KL airport, all passenger have to walk the the aircraft, rain or shine. Some time you have to walk up to a mile because the bigger A330 (AirAsiaX) is too large to park close to the sheltered walk way. No one complain as that is what they paid for. Don't like it, fly full service airlines.

@sam

"Don't like it, fly full service airlines. "

Sam, you've got it. That's the only way to see this topic. There are obviously people, who are trying to eat an egg without breaking it.

To talk again about the first post of the OP. As it seems now, all the inconvenience of that handicapped passenger was most likely his fault, because he did not carefully read the web site of Air Asia. Their web site said exactly, what to do in such cases.

Try Ryan Air maybe paying moneey to go in the toilet. My boyfriend and me look at Air Asia for going to U.K. from K.L. but pay for package and food and everything not so much cheap anymore, can fly with someone other for same price from in Bangkok

To my knowledge...

In the case of airlines operating in Australia...

harrry, one of my pastimes is trying to figure out how the human brain ticks. If you don't mind, would you pleas tell what prompted you search for this very old thread and post in it. I see that this is not your habit, all other recent posts of yours are in new topics, so you must have had a particular reason to seek out this topic of over three years ago.

--

Maestro

To my knowledge...

In the case of airlines operating in Australia...

harrry, one of my pastimes is trying to figure out how the human brain ticks. If you don't mind, would you pleas tell what prompted you search for this very old thread and post in it. I see that this is not your habit, all other recent posts of yours are in new topics, so you must have had a particular reason to seek out this topic of over three years ago.

--

Maestro

In a thread relating to the refusal to carry a wheelchair passenger a few days ago a quote was made from this thread. I replied to this thread in reply to the post without realizing at first it was a different thread. I have continued responding to posts in this thread where appropriate. In fact by using the forum rules it probably would be the most appropriate to use as it relates to the same generic problem while the other is a specific individuals problem except for the fact that it is in fact a different airline.

Edited by harrry

AirAsia is a low cost airline. You should fly full service airline to get full service.

Imagine walking into a Mac restaurant sit down and expect to be served, BECAUSE other restaurant have waiters to serves their guest at the table. Or try to take a public bus in Thailand and expect the bus to knee down + special assistance + a place to store the wheel chair, BECAUSE buses in London (and in many other European & US city) does that.

Kn Sam your analogy seems to miss the point. We we not talking to one airline with intent of flying on another. Like your example of Mac and another restaurant. If I went into a Mac and all people were eating sitting on the floor, I would have expected to do the same. My friend was not asking to be treated differently than others, as your statement seems to indicate. If you flew on another airline and the ticket price was 500 baht, thats all he was asking for, same for same.

However you are entitled to your opinion. So am I.

AIR ASIA SUCKS, Thats my opinion.

In the case of airlines operating in Australia, to or from Australia or where tickets are booked in Australia airlines must carry wheelchairs and and all other medical or mobility equipment needed. Details can be found on the HREOC website and in the The Disability Standards for Accessible Public Transport 2002.

Budget airlines have tried to worm out but have been rebuffed allready. THey know it and it can be expensive for them if they do not comply.

Right.

I believe such practice should be standard and not an "extra".

I would not mind paying a little extra to ensure this for other passengers, either.

Is the world going to "go backwards" under economic stress ?

I thought "pothai" was joking about charging for use of the toilet but ...

Ryanair considers charging passengers to use toilet

February 28, 2009 - 10:54AM Budget airline Ryanair is considering charging passengers to use the toilet on its flights.

Chief executive Michael O'Leary said the no-frills Irish carrier was looking at the possibility of charging STG1 ($A2.20) to enter its on-board lavatories.

"One thing we have looked at in the past, and are looking at again, is the possibility of maybe putting a coin slot on the toilet door, so that people might actually have to spend a pound to `spend a penny'," he told the BBC.

"I don't think there is anybody in history that has got on board a Ryanair aircraft with less than a pound."

Mr O'Leary defended the idea, saying the airline was always keen to find ways of raising "discretionary revenue" to keep airfares down and train stations often charged 20 pence ($A0.45) to use their public toilets.

Ryanair has a reputation for its high ancillary charges.

Passengers have to pay extra for such things as check-in luggage, most card transactions and refreshments purchased on board its aircraft.

AAP

:o

AIR-ASIA is a shit airline. They charched me 1300 TB for a flight and when I arived to the checkin: "Oh sorry, we don´t fly tonight. But no refund all at all. But hurry, hurry, you must quick buy a new THAI-AIRWAYS Ticket. It´s the last flight tonight." After that I wrote more then 5 letters to the mainoffice, also my lawyer sended one. Never, never an answer at all. A little more money and you can fly with the good THAI. What I do now everytime. F............g AIR-ASIA!