RogueExpat

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You are of course correct (almost):jap:

I agree it is common to hear Thais from Nong Khai speaking Laotian (usually business owners) maybe due to the fact that the large majority of their customers

are Laotian.

I respectfully suggest you are wrong :) ........ (and right)

A Short History of Isan: The native people of Northeastern Thailand are ethnic Laotians and the language they speak is Lao, officially called "Isan" or "Thai-Isan". The name change from "Lao" to "Isan" came in the 70's when the Lao PDR was becoming Communist.

http://www.thailao.n...h_languages.htm

Lao or Laotian is the official language of Laos. It is the primary language of the Lao people, and is also spoken in the northeast of Thailand, where it is referred to as Isan language.

http://www.laos-guid...o-language.html

I could go on with literally 100's of pages .....

It is of course a generalization because areas bordering Cambodia use a different dialect. I would also respectfully suggest that most people across the river in Vientiane can understand and to some fair degree speak Central Thai (due to it being in the same family of languages and from the constant exposure...) I concede that it isn't perfect Central Thai, but I know that I can survive in Vientiane speaking only Thai (Central) and only have an occasional issue and that issue will usually be with samlor drivers :)

The idea behind this whole side-show to the OP is that it wouldn't be readily noticeable to the casual listener if a person is Lao or Thai if they are from the border region and not being grilled for information ;)

Sorry about continuing to go off thread.

Okay, take a deep breath Jdinasia, you have obviously done some research into this subject and I appreciate the lesson in Laos/Isaan language but I (and therefore every Laos/Isaan person) can tell the difference between a Laotian speaking Laos and a person from Isaan speaking Isaan Lao.

Yes, Laotians do understand and speak Thai which I suspect was the case with the OP's nanny/maid speaking Thai with the OP's Thai wife. The soldier obviously thought the nanny/maid were Thais not foreign invaders.

Please JD do not continue to "go on with hundreds of pages" as you have threatened, because quite frankly it is getting rather boring.

But dude, don't play with the Military, for what so you can walk around on the ship like the Lao maids and stuff?

What's wrong with Laos maids? There's one here in my village. One day soon I'm gonna give her some serious pork.

A Laotian nanny is no threat to the Royal Thai Navy because Laos is landlocked. :rolleyes:

Many moons ago I got off the river ferry at Savanakhet with a surf board . The immigration guard in his little wooden hut told me I was not allowed to bring a canoe into Laos . I explained to him it wasn't a canoe but a surf board and I was really only on my way to Vietnam to Charlie's Point or somewhere . I had to leave it there until I had been granted my Vietnam visa . They were very serious about the whole issue . After a few days hanging around the Phantipab hotel I got my visa and surf board and went to Vietnam . The guy remembered me a month later on the way back and sold me a bottle of Bushmills for 5 $ that nearly killed me . Oh i have been rambling on a bit ,happy memories , the point is though Laos had its security issues .The Lao Bao border crossing was another story altogether . :)

Rather than being worried about a security risk, maybe they were more worried that if a foreign expert were to inspect the ship, they would be able to see the poor condition etc of some of the equipment, and maybe that would be influential in future bargaining on price for new equipment, since foreign nations might then know how badly Thailand needs particular upgrades etc.

Or maybe they have some super awesome modifications which they've made and didn't want to share with western countries, but only a western expert would be able to tell from a glance what some of these awesome modifications were (Since Lao / Cambodia / Myanmar aren't exactly known for their awesome ship building capabilities)

You may be more right than you realize 'SlyAnimal' regarding farang casting a critical eye over how a Thai sailor lives on board a warship. Navies are known thought out the services, (most countries) as having stricter discipline than the other arms.Why? The living, and possibly having to fight in confined and cramped conditions calls for a serious cohesive command structure with a high degree of hygiene, having spent many a happy time on HM 'grey line funnels' I can confirm the endless cleaning followed by rounds,(inspection) is relentless.

Fact is, they are probably more worried you will find a pairof dirty old 'skiddys' wedged behind some pipe work more than secret 'Somdam 'tipped warhead!

Edited by Tonto21

There is a military base between where we live and our farm, there is a road through it that is a short cut to going all around the longer highway route.

we have been through it many times.....never any question at the guard posts....never a problem.

This base is huge and takes some time to drive through it and you drive through the middle of it, not its remote edge.

Here's the kicker re: security issues.

Wife took at least 30 photographs on the boat, she could have taken photos of anything, inc. all the CIWS installations. :whistling:

Moving along.

Now that we have cleared up the possibility that foreign SEA nationals are knowingly allowed on-board, but other (western??) nationalities are not, who thinks this is blatant discrimination against the farang?

Exactly how is it "easy" to tell a Lao from a rural Isaan Thai?

The language would give it away. Issan dialect is a bit different than how Laos speak in Laos, When I took some of my Lao friends to BKK on the train they were immediately pulled aside by the police and asked for passports, which they had. I am assuming they were overheard speaking the Lao language and it is different to that spoken in Issan. I know this very well as I can hear the difference every time I go from Lao to Ubon. Of course Lao people can easily speak Thai so if they were speaking Thai or even the Issan dialect nobody would be able to tell. I have no idea if the nanny in the OP was speaking whatever language but just saying it is easy to tell the difference between Lao and Issan languages.

:)

Isn't Ubon close to the Cambodian border? ;)

Wife took at least 30 photographs on the boat, she could have taken photos of anything, inc. all the CIWS installations. :whistling:

Moving along.

Now that we have cleared up the possibility that foreign SEA nationals are knowingly allowed on-board, but other (western??) nationalities are not, who thinks this is blatant discrimination against the farang?

Discrimination against the farang? Sure it is so, what's new? This is Thailand.Come on 'RogueExpat' this is par for the course, but I think you know this. Ifeel this is, maybe about you having your nose put out by some 'jonnie foreigner'maybe made to feel embarrassed, just a little? More so with every other 'Somchai,Sompong and Anan' getting piped aboard.

Let it go mate …………………I think you'll have lots more discrimination to get your teeth into before you leave Thailand. Remember the door swings both ways.

Edited by Tonto21

Ifeel this is, maybe about you having your nose put out by some 'jonnie foreigner'maybe made to feel embarrassed, just a little? More so with every other 'Somchai,Sompong and Anan' getting piped aboard.

:cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

Moving along.

There is nothing on that vessel which would be considered "top secret" its a relic, they cant even afford the fuel to run it, so would guess takling photo's are not an issue.

Lets assume for a minute there is a rule which says "No farangs" in the guards interpretation this will mean in his eyes westerners not "local" Asians.....local Khmers/Laoations ect will not be seen as "Farangs" werein the intent of the rule is no foreign nationals on-board

So the whole thing may be down to interpretation of the rule, which I am inclined to think has happened, and i am pretty sure if you really wanted to get on-board and prior to arriving to arranged it with "someone in charge" you would be allowed on-board

Discrimination...naah.....misinterpretation..possible

Ifeel this is, maybe about you having your nose put out by some 'jonnie foreigner'maybe made to feel embarrassed, just a little? More so with every other 'Somchai,Sompong and Anan' getting piped aboard.

:lol: ....60 years ago the British Empire would have dispatched a gun boat to resolve this....... a subject of HM was insulted by a "native" in such a manner..just not cricket old boy....:P

A Laotian nanny is no threat to the Royal Thai Navy because Laos is landlocked. :rolleyes:

I remember reading somewhere that he Laos Navy have a ship docked in a port somewhere in Thailand.

She could be a spy for the Laos government using the nanny job as a clever disguise. Take the Farang along to use as a decoy :ph34r:

Edited by lovelaos

At the end of the day - who cares?

We know we're not liked (unlike our money), but have our own reasons for enjoying living here anyway.

Well, if one feels unloved you probably would be better off being where the love is extended universally.:rolleyes:

No idea what you're talking about.... but I'm sure you're right :rolleyes:

I can't tell the difference between English, Scots and American .... they all speak the same language too!

They don`t all speak the same language, have you ever tried understanding someone from Glasgow? And the Americans, I mean, what sort of English is that? Sounds like jive talk.

It`s a fact that the Yanks have made a right mess of things over there since they threw the British out. They should be begging us to become part of the Empire again, that`s if Britain ever regains it`s Empire

It`s easy to tell the differences:

post-110219-0-78592200-1305620274_thumb.

post-110219-0-49950800-1305620288_thumb.

post-110219-0-54674100-1305620301_thumb.