Is It Today The Day?

Drew Aitch

Hi forum

There's a lot of activity going on along the road that leads up to the Doi Suthep. The strip lights are in place en route and there's a plethora of food and drink stalls setting up every few hundred meters.

So is today the day when the people of Chiang Mai do the night walk up to the temple? I missed it last year but would like to participate this year.

If anyone has any info, please post here.

Thanks in advance

Aitch

Accoding to City Life Newsletter :

WALK UP DOI SUTHEP

Monday 16th May

Start at Kruba Srivichai Monument

Tel. 053 252 557

"Religious ceremonies and other events will be held on Visakha Bucha Day, a national Buddhist public holiday, in commemoration of the birth, enlightenment and death of Lord Buddha. The route will start from Kruba Srivichai monument in the evening, arriving early morning at Doi Suthep, and followed by merit making."

Thanks Asmerom,

Yes, i've since found out that today is indeed the day when thousands of people walk up the Doi Suthep during the night. Surprised no one else chipped in here, so i guess the long-term expats are either oblivious to this annual even or busily walking up the mountain themselves. Then again, they might just have got lost in the more interesting 'food' threads ;)

Aitch

Thanks Asmerom,

Yes, i've since found out that today is indeed the day when thousands of people walk up the Doi Suthep during the night. Surprised no one else chipped in here, so i guess the long-term expats are either oblivious to this annual even or busily walking up the mountain themselves. Then again, they might just have got lost in the more interesting 'food' threads ;)

Aitch

Or have done it 10+ years ago, and no interest in doing it again for reasons stated in another topic on this subject.

My Wife went last night with some friends.

I went to pick her up at 5.30am , but it was a nightmare trying to find them, no cellphone coverage, so I went up the hill and back down..a round trip of two and a half hours before I found them :o

I have never seen so many wet people in one place at one time.

Apparantly there were 10,000 up there, someone had a heart attack after walking up, but the ambulances could not get through the road because of all the people blocking their way. I hope the poor guy/gal pulled through, I suspect it would probably an elderly person not used to walking so far and so steeply. I would/could never do it.

My Wife went last night with some friends.

I went to pick her up at 5.30am , but it was a nightmare trying to find them, no cellphone coverage, so I went up the hill and back down..a round trip of two and a half hours before I found them :o

I have never seen so many wet people in one place at one time.

Apparantly there were 10,000 up there, someone had a heart attack after walking up, but the ambulances could not get through the road because of all the people blocking their way. I hope the poor guy/gal pulled through, I suspect it would probably an elderly person not used to walking so far and so steeply. I would/could never do it.

Can only agree.

The missus did the walk last night with a friend, as she did last year.

Trying to find them this morning was like looking for a needle in a haystack.

She feels good about it but I have had to massage her poor legs all day long.

Tamboon

Surprised no one else chipped in here...

Doi Suthep Walk ;)

Thanks JackR. Not knowing the name of the day/event, I didn't pick up on that particular thread.

Opted out myself in the end after the relentless rains kept splashing on down. Hope to do it another time though, and will probably organise a little gathering of like minded folks to make the stroll a bit more fun.

Best time ever walking to the top starting at Wat Sri Soda was 1 hr 50 mins (give or take), with the average being 2 hrs 10 mins. So when I hear some young folks saying it took them a gruelling 5 plus hours from the zoo to the steps at the top, one can't help but wonder how many rest breaks the annual plodders must have taken en-route :coffee1:

Aitch

Edited by Drew Aitch

Surprised no one else chipped in here...

Doi Suthep Walk ;)

Thanks JackR. Not knowing the name of the day/event, I didn't pick up on that particular thread.

Opted out myself in the end after the relentless rains kept splashing on down. Hope to do it another time though, and will probably organise a little gathering of like minded folks to make the stroll a bit more fun.

Best time ever walking to the top starting at Wat Sri Soda was 1 hr 50 mins (give or take), with the average being 2 hrs 10 mins. So when I hear some young folks saying it took them a gruelling 5 plus hours from the zoo to the steps at the top, one can't help but wonder how many rest breaks the annual plodders must have taken en-route :coffee1:

Aitch

It's not a race Drew.

I saw many side stalls and refreshment stops with chairs, places to stop and be blessed by Monks, water splashing by the monks, alms giving, and you can't walk faster than the Monks at the front of the parade, as you know Monks' don't rush anything so 5 hours is what it takes every year