Need Visa Run Or Can Get Extension?

Hi,

I have a friend who's using his Japanese passport (cause he hasnt gotten a Thai one yet) and I'm trying to figure out what he needs to do. From what I can understand he got a 30 day entry stamp on arrival. Now he wants to stay longer (he's visiting his grandmother and brother). He has 15 days left to figure it out. I also think he's been doing border crossing at Mae Sot but not sure.

Info so far -

Japanese citizen

Entry stamp upon arrival in Thailand.

Wants to stay longer.

I'm pretty sure you cant extend entry stamps. So I told him to make a visa run to VTE for a tourist visa for 60 days (then he can extend it at immigration for another 30). During these 60 days he will be working on getting his Thai citizenship she he never has to do this again. lol

He cant get a Non Imm O visa because he doesnt have the paper work needed or wont get it in time within 15 day.

I just wanted to see what you guys and gals think and to confirm or tell me I'm wrong in my advice to him.

Thanks,

Yunnie

If he was born with a Thai parent he should have citizenship from birth but will need a birth certificate from the Thai Embassy in country of birth. With that he can obtain Thai passport/home register entry and Thai ID card (if of age). Once listed on home register he can easily obtain one year extensions of stay even if entry is on Japanese passport. For now your advise to obtain tourist visa seems to be the best choice. Make sure he has that Embassy birth report as believe that is the critical first step in the process.

Japan does allow holding dual nationality?

If he was born with a Thai parent he should have citizenship from birth but will need a birth certificate from the Thai Embassy in country of birth. With that he can obtain Thai passport/home register entry and Thai ID card (if of age). Once listed on home register he can easily obtain one year extensions of stay even if entry is on Japanese passport. For now your advise to obtain tourist visa seems to be the best choice. Make sure he has that Embassy birth report as believe that is the critical first step in the process.

Yes, he's working on getting his Thai citizenship. I actually just walk him through all the paper he needs to get for that. His mom needs to get her Thai ID since she's been gone for so long. And he needs to wait for his birth cert from Japan. Then figure out who's head of their Tha biin baan. lol

Not sure if Japan allows it or makes ppl give up eventually, but they never know if you dont mention it. lol Reason he's doing this, is because he wants to stay in Thailand for a couple years. I dont know if he'll ever go back to Japan or Canada ( he was residing there till his vacation)

Technically no - Japanese citizens with dual nationality are supposed to make a "declaration of choice" after their 20th and before their 22nd birthday, chosing to retain either their Japanese citizenship or their foreign citizenship(s). If they acquire foreign nationality after turning 20, then they must make their election within 2 years.

If they elect to retain their Japanese citizenship, they must submit evidence that they have renounced their foreign citizenship. This can pose difficulties, as some countries either don't permit or have no process defined for renouncing citizenship.

Practically, I don't know if the Japanese authorities actively pursue the issue of dual nationality. It is certainly dealt with more directly in Japan's Nationality Law than it is in Thai law. The Ministry of Justice has some information in English on the web (http://www.moj.go.jp...on/tcon-01.html).

Edited by KamnanT