Bikers

richb2004

For whatever bike I use;

A half or three quarter helmet, with sunglasses and neckerchief covering mouth and nose.

Leather vest over long sleeved shirt.

Fingerless gloves.

Jeans with kevlar lining at knee and butt points. A little bit on the heavy side but suprisingly breathable. Look similar to regular jeans so I'm able wear them anywhere and anytime.

Cowboy boots to protect against weather and protects ankles.

Light waterproof jacket and leggings are always carried with me on either bike.

If on a long ride out somewhere then I'll also carry a pair of lightly tinted glasses in case of night riding.

Extra info for Siamone. Matching colours for undies and socks. Just in case I pull. :o

Locally through the villages I ride slow and wear t-shirt, shorts, and flip-flops. If I go into town or intend to drive on a highway I put on shoes, long pants, and wear a helmet.

In the winter time up north, if I am driving back up to the hills late at night I bundle up for the cold. That always amused the other patrons at the bar to watch me don sweater, windbreaker, parka, wool cap, and gloves.

My best protection is to drive slow and be able to avoid chickens, dogs, and drunk Thais.

Does riding a 125 honda wave count as being a biker?

I ride all around Phuket.

Eye protection(especially at night) a good helmet and protection from the sun are important.

Expect to see some really stupid and dangerous driving out there. Be very careful it's easy to get hurt badly. The death/injury toll from motorbike accidents is frighteningly high.

Be especially careful making right turns. Many people get hit from behind.

I have been toying with the idea of buying a motor bike for the past year. I think it would be the idea way to explore the side roads of Thailand. It is the safety aspect that has stopped me so far. To be precise, the lack of safety. However I am back to feeling the urge again. If I get one I am wondering what gear I should and would wear. Back home I would have the helmet, the gloves, the jacket, boots and decent trousers. Out here the weather is against all that.

Are there any light weight jackets, gloves etc available?

What do the biker members of the forum wear?

How many of you ride bikes, and who thinks it’s a good or bad idea?

I ride in Singapore and Malaysia, but weather problems are the same. I always wear full-face helmet and leather gloves. I try to wear my jacket, but don't always - it is a mesh jacket with protective padding, great for hot weather. I almost always wear jeans or other long trousers, except on Sundays sometimes shorts for short trips (no logic, I just do). Shoes. Oh yes, and underpants...

At first the gloves feel hot, but once it becomes a habit you feel naked and vulnerable without them.