Why Do Post Degenerate Into Quibble So Quickly?

rocketmanbkk

Having read posts on Thai Visa for quite a few years I want to know, in fact I demand (!) to know why so many posts degenerate into negativity so quickly?

One person will reply and then all of a sudden the post will collect so many negative views that it then turns into a fest of abuse.

It is OK to have different views but why do so many people make things personal and not just discuss the OP's question/advice/comment etc. without the need to abuse/offend?

I reckon this post will degenerate quicker then most!

Come on Thai Visa friends, let's try to keep things more civil in the future.

Quite simply because people are miserable with the life they have chosen and want to bring everyone else down to their cesspool of misery. The old saying that "misery loves company" is true.

to many know alls and not willing to listen , i am not right all the time and do learn , some people don't , also some people don't have sense of humor.just my opinion, will not suit everybody but ..again

Keeping an open mind out in cyberspace is important for sure.....some here are unhappy....others are less than honest. Its...well.......representative of the general population. :D

I don't think Ian's miserable; he's just trying to explain that others are!

I think Ian sounds pretty miserable...

And not to quibble - But where does the OP get off demanding(!) things? B)

Edited by sfokevin

Well done Ian, a perfect example there. :jap:

I figured it would get a laugh. :lol:

As for myself I love life too much to take anything someone says too seriously. If they are miserable then there really isn't anything I can do about it. Besides, if everyone agreed with each other the forum would become boring... like the Chiang Mai forum where food seems to be the most common topic.

What really gets my goat is that someone posts a decent genuine topic, and some poster will decry it, then like a flock of sheep, the rest will follow, what a sad lot of gits there are on TV.

What I found interesting is that on many threads the first part is people agreeing or supporting the op. Then if someone questions the op stance or the thread after that all the replys are negative or quibble.. One post can change the whole thing. But I should add I only read general 90% of the time cannot commment on the most of the other forums.

What I found interesting is that on many threads the first part is people agreeing or supporting the op. Then if someone questions the op stance or the thread after that all the replys are negative or quibble.. One post can change the whole thing. But I should add I only read general 90% of the time cannot commment on the most of the other forums.

I just like stirring the bas**rds up.:whistling:

When I first joined the forums about a year ago, I had the same question. Now that I am an expert (having been reading these for a year, I think that qualifies me), I have three conclusions:

1. In a prior life I was a mediator, helping people to resolve their disputes. Very rarely would someone look at someone else in the eye and say "you are an idiot". But numerous studies have shown that when people are interacting with a computer, they will be much more adversarial and insulting. It is much easier to insult someone over a computer.

2. There is a small, but noisy, minority of people who cannot interact with people. I have a neighbor, who is a very negative person, and likes to go into rants. No one here will listen to him. What is his solution? Go to the forums. It gives him the feeling that he is being heard. When I see a response to a posting that is non-responsive, and belligerent, I assume it is a person who has way too much time on his hands and cannot find real friends/people to interact with.

3. Once the nasty people take over, the others abandon ship.

My general philosophy now is that I do not even read a posting that has had more than 20 replies. The nut-cases have taken over. Not always true, but a good general rule.

All in the demographics. Read the result of the TVF survey. Those that replied are most likely to be respondents to threads. And their characteristics are males, aged 40-65, most likely to be single , from North America and the UK and of limited incomes. The demographics are skewed to a greater than "normal" presence of those most likely to exhibit selfish behaviours. I call this group the war baby castoffs and the baby boomers who were left behind. :lol:

For some it is often easier to Bitch about something or someone than to make a constructive comment.

EDIT: That's a good point.

I think whenever we want to post something negative, we should try to contribute something as well.

It's probably worth using the "Preview" function to review your post before posting it...

... seems OK to me

EDIT: checking not just for spelling errors, but clarity, and offense that others might find through persistent effort

SC

And to answer the question, and so as not to stray off topic - because so many people deliberately post topics with the anticipation of stirring up irritation.

Now, on behalf of the environment: Stop over-fishing; stop trawling...

I suppose TV is the fisherman's paradise - you can troll for ever and they'll still bite...

Having read posts on Thai Visa for quite a few years I want to know, in fact I demand (!) to know why so many posts degenerate into negativity so quickly?

This is not symptomatic of just ThaiVisa, but virtually every forum I frequent. Doesn't matter if it a political forum, hobby forums, travel forums, etc. Most threads digress to the lowest common denominator very quickly and turn into slug-fests. This only supports my thesis that the human species is not that far removed from swinging in the trees, foraging for food and mating with anyone who will have them. Sad state of affairs for the most affluent generation in the history of mankind.

Edited by KeyserSoze01

This is not symptomatic of just ThaiVisa, but virtually every forum I frequent. Doesn't matter if it a political forum, hobby forums, travel forums, etc. Most threads digress to the lowest common denominator very quickly and turn into slug-fests. This only supports my thesis that the human species is not that far removed from swinging in the trees, foraging for food and mating with anyone who will have them. Sad state of affairs for the most affluent generation in the history of mankind.

I don't really see whatr bickering has in common with arboreal dexterity, boredom-eating and promiscuity.

Anyway, keep working on your thesis. Is your doctorate in non sequitors?

"Non Sequitors; Beyond Abstract Logic"

SC

I am working on a new field of Boolean Logic, with the logic gates 'can', 'cannot', 'also can' and 'up to you'.

What really gets my goat is that someone posts a decent genuine topic, and some poster will decry it, then like a flock of sheep, the rest will follow, what a sad lot of gits there are on TV.

Bah!

Amen to that! While sitting face to face to someone and dishing up some insults, it may happen that the "insultor" ends up with a bloody nose. Not so in an internet-forum. The worst that can happen is that the post will be removed by the Mod's. It's as simple as that.

Cheers.

Why Do Post Degenerate Into Quibble So Quickly? Why? In a face to face discussion the fear of getting a thick lip for 'bumping there gums' (talking shit) is always present. On TV anyone can write, well anything theylike……. And they do! Posting and replying too controversial topics, no worries, but it's a fine line between being Devils advocate or an asshol_e, in most cases........ both.

Edited by Tonto21

Well done Ian, a perfect example there. :jap:

I figured it would get a laugh. :lol:

As for myself I love life too much to take anything someone says too seriously. If they are miserable then there really isn't anything I can do about it. Besides, if everyone agreed with each other the forum would become boring... like the Chiang Mai forum where food seems to be the most common topic.

Come off it!! Are you saying that all we think about in CM is food?? There are other things in life, even here in the sticks!! Weather for example!!! ( and shopping). What a stereotyped view of us Chiang Mai stalwarts!!!. You must be from the nether regions of BKK , or i dread to think, Isaan!!!

( before anyone gets upset, this is my idea of joking, sorry if I've got it wrong!!!)laugh.gifrolleyes.gif

Very good example here > Quibbling :D

You beat me to it -was going to be my example of the behaviour that puts me off this forum.

Only takes one 'nasty' - I fail to see what satisfaction posters get from such 'contributions'.

Very good example here > Quibbling :D

You beat me to it -was going to be my example of the behaviour that puts me off this forum.

Only takes one 'nasty' - I fail to see what satisfaction posters get from such 'contributions'.

They can be rather entertaining though.

jb1