Visitors Required To Show Dollars

Some visitors are required to show US$500 or more upon arrival at Immigration

to support their Visas.

There is an ATM at Bangkok Airport that dispenses US$ only

Can anybody give factual information about it please?

1. Is it still there?

2. Which Bank operates it?

3. Can Visa Cards of Thai Banks be used in it to withdraw US$ ?

Thanks

Bill

Yes there is a machine that gives out US $ at Suvarnabhumi Airport.

I'm unsure which bank it is from, I used my Visa card to make a cash withdrawal.

Edited by Maestro
Deleted part of post that was a reply to a deleted post.

ATMs at Suvarnabhumi that dispense US dollars and Euros.

You will see them after you pass through immigration and are making your way to the departure gates.

They are Siam Commercial Bank ATMs next to SCB exchange booths and accept SCB and foreign debit/ATM cards only.

The rate is the same as the over the counter rate at the airport. You have a choice of USD (50,100,150,200,250,300,400,500) or Euros (50,100,150,200,250,300,350).

The limit is $500 per card and $2000 per customer per day.

Edited by Maestro
Deleted part of the post that was reply to a deleted post.

...I did not say "it was for people to show enough money when entering Thailand"...

This is true. You wrote

to support their Visas.

It is a standard requirement for the application for a visa to show evidence of some funds but many Thai consulates mostly don't implement it. The website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs mentions, for example, for an application for a tourist visa "Evidence of adequate finance (20,000 Baht per person and 40,000 Baht per family)", for a non-immigrant visa "Evidence of adequate finance (20,000 Baht per person and 40,000 Baht per family)". All Posts I have seen mentioning that a consulted asked for this evidence indicated that the consulate accepted evidence of funds in any currency; it did not have to Baht.

Have you had personal experience with being asked to show USD 500 or more, in US currency, upon arrival at immigration, and were you indeed told that this was to support your visa, whatever this may mean? If so, when and at what airport was this?

I should add that after the visitor's arrival in Thailand and upon presentation of the passport at the immigration desk, the immigration official does have the right to ask for evidence of the same funds as mentioned on the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and occasionally they do, indeed, ask for this evidence. What has been unheard of so far, however, is that this evidence had to be for funds in US dollars and no other currency.

All I wanted to know was if it was possible to withdraw US$ from the ATM in the Airport with a Thai Bank Visa Card

And the Thread has got diverted into a lot of unnecessary Side Issues!!! - lol

The answer seems to be YES, but you do not need to show US Dollars, just the equivalent in Thai Baht.

Edited by Maestro
Deleted off-topic part of the post.

Drop the aggressive tone, the insults, and the baiting now or I will hand out a formal warning.

Keep it CIVIL and act like people who have manners and know how to use them. These aggressive posts will stop NOW.

I wish it weren’t the OP himself bringing his own topic off topic.

From the OP: “Some visitors are required to show US$500 or more upon arrival at Immigration

to support their Visas.”

I’m going to busy for a while but when I come back I plan to delete all posts about a visa application in India and about validity of stay and the replies to them.

Topic reopened. Let’s stay on topic from this point forward.

The questions arising for discussion from the OP are the following:

1. Question: Are some visitors arriving in Thailand required to show US$500 or more upon arrival at Immigration?
    Answer: Yes. No further discussion of this question is required.
  2. Question: Where is the ATM at Bangkok airport that dispenses US dollard?
    Answer: Given in this post. No further discussion of this question is required.
  3. Question: When an arriving visitor is asked to show funds, how much is he asked to show?
    Action: Let’s hear first-hand reports from members who were asked to show funds. No speculations.
  4. Question: When an arriving visitor is asked to show funds, in what currency, if any, is he asked to show them?
    Action: Let’s hear first-hand reports from members who were asked to show funds. No speculations.
  5. Question: When an arriving visitor asked to show funds in a particular currency does not have the funds in that currency, does the immigration officer on request allow another currency? If so, what currency is acceptable?

You are required to have enough money to support your stay, immigration has set the required amount as given by Maestro. It can be in any currency. In practice it is not checked and ATM cards, credit cards traveler checks etc are more than enough.

There is no requirement or need to change for US-dollars at the airport.

i come thru swampy four times a year from london .

and have never seen or heard of showing money .

Edited by Maestro
Deleted off-topic part of the post.

I have no need to discuss the reason why my visitor wants to get Dollars from the Dollar ATM

That is off Topic

Topic title: "Visitors Required To Show Dollars"

From the starting post in this topic:

to support their Visas.

Since you stated in the topic title and in your OP the reason why "some visitors" want/need to get dollars from the dollar ATM, a discussion of this reason is not necessarily off topic.

The OP's basic question regarding the location of the ATM machine has been answered. As the OP has chosen to continue to flame, this topic is now closed.

:mfr_closed1: