Need Hair Clippers Recommendation

realthaideal

I've been here for years and recently have had to face up that the amount of hair on my head doesn't justify the trip to the haircut lady anymore.

I bought a pair of clippers from a beauty supply store (recommended) up by the NE corner of the moat and picked a mid-range priced one. Suffice to say that they suck, have rusted, and barely did the job in the first place. Nothing like wanting to throw and smash your clippers with a 1/2 shaved head and clippers that are taking 40 min's to do a 15 min job !

I've owned several pairs back in The States before, never having an issue with reliability or shady brands. I basically just threw away 800 B and am annoyed.

So who's found a quality brand of clippers out there and where ? At this point I'd pay whatever - like maybe 1,500 - for a good pair if I knew they'd do the job and last.

I have a Remington Clipper that I bought at Robinsons in Airport Plaza over a year ago and have been happy with it.

I think I paid around 1200 to 1500 B. They're located on the 5th floor, just to the right as you get off the escalator.

It makes more noise than the one I used to have, but cuts very well.

When I lived back on the Us East Coast, where haircuts ran beween $15-30 USD, I owned a pair of clippers and cut my own hair occasionally, as it made good financial sense.

However here, when I can get a good hair cut, shave, and shoulder massage for 50 THB, I just cant be bothered to do it myself. Factor in the time spent cleaning up the cut hair afterwards, it just really doesn't make sense. My free/ personal time is worth more than 50 THB to me and I would rather not waste it cleaning up hair.

-Mestizo

I get your take on it Mestizo, but I have just the right amount of hair that it needs to be cut every 2 weeks or so. Any less frequently and it gets too long and I look like the sick pigeon that you see on the street and feel sorry for - in this case less definitely is/ looks like more. I really liked my haircut lady too, but she's popular and finding time every 2 weeks, and then driving by only to find a queue of an hour or more sometimes got to be a drag. If I had a furry head that looked equally good short or grown out like yerself it'd be less of an issue. The irony is I still have (arguably!) enough that I don't want to just shave it all off either. So I'm on the do-it-myself plan these days. My cleanup time is minimal too. I've got a system.

RTD, I bought a Wahl Professional from the guy just outside of Tops bottom floor KSK. Cost was about 900 B two years ago.

I alternatively cut my own hair (what little there is), and go see a well-known barber in Muang who has been nicknamed "Shaky".

He charges 70 B, and does a fast and professional job. Friends who are blessed with way more hair than I swear by him, and the results on them look good to me as well. For me it is a simple buzz, but he trims the 'stash, eyebrows, etc.

When I cut my own hair it is a rather messy ritual, standing in the tub, extension cord, shaving mirror, etc. But I've gotten good enough with practice to be just as good as the barber.

But hey, 70 B fast convenient and a no-brainer most of the time.

RTD, do yourself a favour and give all the arty-farty brands a miss - Remington, Philips, et al, and stick with the people that made their name with clippers, like Wahl. There's a place along Nopparat (north, outer moat road) about 50m or so past the Chang Puak turn-off that does the Wahl Pro Basic for about 1600 baht. This is the legit machine shipped from the States and comes in a box with all documentation, in American :P . Name of her shop is Joy Beauty Dream (053 418 454, 083 475 9597) - she's right next door to VeloCity (mountain bikes) and has loads of barber chairs etc outside. When I bought mine, it was the only one in there (along with the cheapo crap from China) and she told me she doesn't keep many hand so best to give her a bell first.

Looks like this, the ones they use in the barbers:

b_c1kcac303493_0.jpg

The tack that Remington & the rest do is so hit n miss. Made the mistake of buying a Remi for around a grand last year and fell to bits real quick (only being used once a month). Underpowered motor, bad shaking, crap blades, crap cut and just crap workmanship all-round. Surprised McG picked up a Wahl for 900 baht; perhaps a knock-off or refurb...

Additional: forgot to say, the Pro Basic runs like a dream, very smooth. Absolutely no snagging and I have thick hair.

Edited by jackr

I did that hunt a couple of years back - eventually finding a pair in Tesco Lotus on the Super Highway (11). Though to be honest they are only fair in quality - they need oiling almost every time I use them (which is probably once a week or so - trim sideburns, long stubble or round the ears). Best set I ever owned was a ceramic set (Philips I think) in the UK - cost me a lot (about eighty quid) but never blunt, never need oiling, very quick and don't drag the hair (pinch or pull). I have been cutting my own hair since I was about 20 - always had it crewcut style - so am pretty good at it now.