Phukets Must Do'S And Dont'S

psdo12

I live in another part of Thailand, make FIVE times the money, have HALF of the expenses, and laugh my a$ off at people who haven't got a clue. :coffee1:

When you'ved finished laughing, why don't you tell us about the choice of local, international schools you have. And tell us about the local beaches, 5 star spas and restaurants. I assume you have 3 international marinas as well, what are they like? Tell us all what offshore island you have within a couple of hours of your house, for diving and boating. When you've finished, it will be our turn to have a good giggle. :D

Dont worry with all that money he is making he can come to Phuket and have a good time doing more or less anything he wants . And then go back and make more money and on and on and on. I wonder where it is maybe i might move there.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive got a "Phuket Do's and Donts"

Do enjoy Phuket because it really is a magic place most of the time..... Dont become a jaded expat rolleyes.gif

I've got a "Phuket Do's and Dont's

Do stay away from Phuket because it sucks a$ most of the time.....Don't become a delusional expat :rolleyes:

5 million people a year cant be wrong rolleyes.gif

Meanwhile the expats that live here comfortably laugh up their sleeves at the people who say Phuket sucks and keep quiet.

I live in another part of Thailand, make FIVE times the money, have HALF of the expenses, and laugh my a$ off at people who haven't got a clue. :coffee1:

5 times the money hey?....the offshore industry must be lagging behind a bit..I better ask work for a pay rise to catch up with Thai expat salaries

There's only 2 decent international school in phuket...

Areas like Khao Yai next to korat are amazing, much more than phuket. Wineyards, National park, Clean people, No influx of poor tourist, No influx of killing thais from the south here to make a quick buck, good international school, less than 2 hours from bangkok/pattaya.

I'd personally be there but my gf thinks its better suited for retirement which were lightyears away from

Only negative thing for every region is the lack of villa market/quality hospitals. in phuket you stand a chance for survival so for old folks i guess there is no other solution than pattaya, phuket or bangkok.

Bangkok Hospital just opened in Hua Hin, and I dont need to be old to perhaps need good international hospital. Minor bike accident would be it.

Meanwhile the expats that live here comfortably laugh up their sleeves at the people who say Phuket sucks and keep quiet.

I live in another part of Thailand, make FIVE times the money, have HALF of the expenses, and laugh my a$$ off at people who haven't got a clue. :coffee1:

and I laugh my a$$ off at people that come onto a forum and have to announce such things to massage their own egos, quite pitiful really......

Who's the one without a clue?

on occasions I go home from Patong to Kata late night (eh early morning :whistling: ) by tuk-tuk. I offer 400 baht, and have never had a discussion on price. Driver ask me to get in, and home I go :)

safer than drunk driving

tips to OP, carry change, as they often dont want to change your 1.000 baht bill

Didnt know Patong to Kata is 50+ km.

Thats how far you can go with a metered taxi in BKK for 400 Baht, including highways.

Somebody said the driver tries to make his days salary with one trip, do you agree that this is best and should be supported?

I heard of people (Thais of course) that make 178 Baht a day for eight hours of hard labor.

Welcome to Phuket Forum. It is illegal in Phuket to pay salaries as low as you mention. Minimum salary is above 200 baht in Phuket.

I enjoy using metered taxis in BKK, and actually never use my car there as taxi is cheaper and no parking problem.

In Phuket renting a tuk-tuk from the owners cost more than 400 baht a day. In addition they run petrol at 35-40 baht liter, not LPG/CNG at 10-15 baht liter like in BKK. Infrastructure is not similar, seasonal changes in customers can not be compared.

I do not defend cheating tuk tuks, but for an occasional ride or a holiday I find 400 baht acceptable

If you rent a car or motorcycle around Patong....

Don't park near tuk-tuks. They claim certain territories near the beach, and if you dare park in one of their unmarked but "claimed" spots, they'll become very threatening and knock your block off if you protest. Definitely a mafia mentality. The shame of Patong. dry.gif

Very true, at the least they will let your tyres down. But not to worry now that we have the big Jungceylon car park under the big mall. Free for 3 hours if you spend just 100 baht in the mall, and only 10 baht/hour if you just park and walk down Bangla into central Patong. Forget about parking on the beach front road, just not worth the hassle and you have to pay parking fees anyway.

Of course they may just ask you to move, and you could just say, OK and move, and not get you knickers in a twist, and feel like your human rights have been violated, and spend the next 10 years coming on forums to moan about it. :whistling:

They don't ask. They demand with a snarl. Such a welcoming committee for new visitors!

Did we touch a nerve there, BangTaoBoy? whistling.gif

They don't ask. They demand with a snarl. Such a welcoming committee for new visitors!

Didn't touch a nerve in the slightest mate. Simply pointing out that different people have different experiences, and a different ways of dealing with things.

I don't park in areas that are deemed to be a Tuk Tuk rank, so I don't have the problem. But when I have parked somewhere they didn't want me to in the past, they simply asked me to move. They didn't snarl, they didn't get angry, they simply asked me to move. I said no problem, and moved.

As a result, it was forgotten about 10 seconds later. A bit better than still stewing over it several years later, and coming on forums to moan about it me thinks.

Edited by BangTaoBoy

• 1 month later...

Didn't touch a nerve in the slightest mate. Simply pointing out that different people have different experiences, and a different ways of dealing with things.

I don't park in areas that are deemed to be a Tuk Tuk rank, so I don't have the problem. But when I have parked somewhere they didn't want me to in the past, they simply asked me to move. They didn't snarl, they didn't get angry, they simply asked me to move. I said no problem, and moved.

As a result, it was forgotten about 10 seconds later. A bit better than still stewing over it several years later, and coming on forums to moan about it me thinks.

Don't be so short-sighted to this discussion. You know not to park in "tuk tuk" areas (none of which are marked) because you live here or are a repeat-tourist. First-timer impressionable tourist don't have that luxury. Those are the ones TAT would like to conserve and come back. When they have the same experiences as I, many vow never to set foot in Patong again--just read the forum comments over the years.

Secondly, if they didn't snarl as they demanded you to move, you're one of the lucky few. Maybe you looked more intimidating than they? whistling.gif

Update on Aquarium issue....

I went today. That is my 4th time and it is definitely worth 50 baht on a rainy day (100 baht if not resident).

Good selection of fish.

Clean tanks.

Informative and educational.

Everything is written in Thai AND English.

Probably not worth a trip all the way to Panwa just for this but if you are having a day trip that way be sure to pop in.

No it is not Sydney Aquarium but then the price is not either..

P.S I do not work at the Aquarium :)

You know not to park in "tuk tuk" areas (none of which are marked) because you live here or are a repeat-tourist. First-timer impressionable tourist don't have that luxury

There's normally a long line of red tuk tuk things there, bit of a give away really mate. The question is, are you positive that tuk tuk drivers have reacted violently to people being parked in their spots, more times than they have reacted calmly and normally? You would say yes based on your experience, and I would say no based on mine.

You know not to park in "tuk tuk" areas (none of which are marked) because you live here or are a repeat-tourist. First-timer impressionable tourist don't have that luxury

There's normally a long line of red tuk tuk things there, bit of a give away really mate. The question is, are you positive that tuk tuk drivers have reacted violently to people being parked in their spots, more times than they have reacted calmly and normally? You would say yes based on your experience, and I would say no based on mine.

BTB, I once pulled the scooter off of the road, not in a tuk tuk line, under some trees by a sort of dilapidated construction site, and started walking to a quick meeting I had in Karon.

When I passed a couple tuk-tuk guys sitting there they said "can't park there". I said "I'm not taking tuk-tuk space, I am not in the road, and it's not illegal to park there".

Well......guess what. When I came out of the meeting tuk-tuks were gone and both my tires were flat.

So to Fookhart, you can "know not to park in "tuk tuk" areas (none of which are marked) because you live here or are a repeat-tourist" and still get shafted by the scumbags.

BTB, I once pulled the scooter off of the road, not in a tuk tuk line, under some trees by a sort of dilapidated construction site, and started walking to a quick meeting I had in Karon.

When I passed a couple tuk-tuk guys sitting there they said "can't park there". I said "I'm not taking tuk-tuk space, I am not in the road, and it's not illegal to park there".

Well......guess what. When I came out of the meeting tuk-tuks were gone and both my tires were flat.

So to Fookhart, you can "know not to park in "tuk tuk" areas (none of which are marked) because you live here or are a repeat-tourist" and still get shafted by the scumbags.

I parked down near the karon markets about a week ago...i noticed there was "F**Kwits only" oops "tuk tuks only" painted very roughly on the foot path, now is this legit? or is it in fact legal to park there? I wont take the chance myself as i dont like the idea of having my tires let down.

Not condoning their behaviour, but I'm going to struggle to have any sympathy for you. You knew full well that it was a possibility, and you did it anyway. Phuket is a different place to live than lots of others, you need to adapt and act acordingly. In this istance you should have just parked somewhere else, simple as that. That's the way things roll here, you know that as well as I do.

I parked down near the karon markets about a week ago...i noticed there was "F**Kwits only" oops "tuk tuks only" painted very roughly on the foot path, now is this legit? or is it in fact legal to park there? I wont take the chance myself as i dont like the idea of having my tires let down.

Is it really worth worrying about the legitimacy of it? You know how things work, and that's all there is to it. You don't park there, and as a result you don't get any grief and enjoy living in Phuket. That's all you've got to do. And I still maintain, that the number of unsuspecting tourists, that get assaulted by Tuk tuk drivers over parking spaces, are far and few between.

And I still maintain, that the number of unsuspecting tourists, that get assaulted by Tuk tuk drivers over parking spaces, are far and few between.

Few and far between is still too many.

How many tourists get threatened and back down? Quite a lot, I reckon.

but I'm going to struggle to have any sympathy for you.

For sure would not ever ask for sympathy from you, was not my point. I was only interjecting that even if you do know (as Fookhart stated) you can still get abused by these guys. Like a dog growling at me, I'm not going to back down from these Fuk-Fuk guys when I am in the right. Did I pay for it then, sure, but they proved once again that they are just cockroaches.

>>You knew full well that it was a possibility, and you did it anyway.

Why is that, that we know it can happen? It's not because these clowns are above the law or the bibs are paid off is it? How are the tourists going to know this? There's no excuse whatsoever for their very rude behaviour. 95% of countries and society would not allow this, but the payoffs here are enough for the bibs to overlook all of this.

Edited by steelepulse

I hear you buddy, and 99.9999999999999 % of the incidents wouldnt be reported...can you imagine Vladamir with his knee high white socks and sandals going in with Olga to the local cop shop and trying to explain in Russian how a short man with darkish skin and black hair threatened them with a hammer?

It would be amusing to watch but i imagine there would be no investigation by Leftenant Senior Colnel Somchai I-Lubbahtnakorn

Is it really worth worrying about the legitimacy of it? You know how things work, and that's all there is to it. You don't park there, and as a result you don't get any grief and enjoy living in Phuket. That's all you've got to do. And I still maintain, that the number of unsuspecting tourists, that get assaulted by Tuk tuk drivers over parking spaces, are far and few between.

Some beaches are still wonderfull, Kata Beach, Kata Noi and Nai Harn to mention a few, and going north in Phuket some more

Sunset over Andaman is stunning, I prefere it from After Beach Bar south of Kata Beach on the hill to Rawai. Spectacular view in a nice ambience

If you are familiar with riding a bike/scoot, rent one for the whole stay. It is wonderfull to ride around. If you are not used to bikes, stay away as it can be dangerous.

Friday or Saturday night in Phuket town is a must, and Timberhut is the place to end the night. As they follow non smoking laws and closing laws, it all ends at 2am giving you a relatively fresh start next morning

Lunch on Rawai beach is lovely. Nikita if you want euro food, seafood splendid further south

Some restaurants are a must if you like fine dining, search the restaurant recomondations here on ThaiVisa

I was down at nakitas today...the thai food is a lot better and i got it within 15 mins. gf agreed also.....we normally just go down for the view and the food is a distant 4th....but today it came in second

there is that Thai food place on the right going up the hill out of Kata..not a pretty place but good food and cheap as chips...pity about the traffic though..also that new bar at the top of the hill on left...you get those big flagons of beer on a stand with a tap for your table...good and inexpensive. Not bad music either ..too many lady boys for my taste though..good and entertaining though..good service too!!

your not talking about that "larb kata" restaurant, I ordered a chicken with basil and got a gristle with grass, yes it was cheap but it was <deleted> also

there is that Thai food place on the right going up the hill out of Kata..not a pretty place but good food and cheap as chips...pity about the traffic though..also that new bar at the top of the hill on left...you get those big flagons of beer on a stand with a tap for your table...good and inexpensive. Not bad music either ..too many lady boys for my taste though..good and entertaining though..good service too!!