Phukets Must Do'S And Dont'S

psdo12

Must stay away from a (name removed) restaurant in Nai Harn beach, she adds unordered items to your bill, and I am just touching the surface with her....

Must ask how much for everything before saying yes. If they try to ignore you, insist! "ta lie" is the phrase for "how much", roughly translated.

Must be careful of under currents if swimming.

Don't under any circumstances rent a jet ski, I do not care what other people have said. You are asking for trouble. It's a scam and the police get 20% of what the Thai's take from you. You can find video's of it on utube.

Don't take tuk tuk's, they are all mafia, like the jet ski operators. Get the number of a private and illegal driver from your hotel. You will get an air-conditioned private car with seat belts. He wants the business and the hotel is a source of income for him, so he won't f you. Nonetheless, ask how much and negotiate. If he is fair, take his number and use his service again, and negotiate, again.

Don't forget you have no rights here! The police are not likely to help you, and it is best to avoid them and any kind trouble as well. Thai's don't have a problem with ganging up on someone and they know they won't get prosecuted.

Don't forget to use your hotel safe, I don't care how much they smile or seem nice, for many of them, not all, it's an act.

For those of you who love Phuket, I don't share the same opinion. My experience was so bad I tell everyone not to come here. Let me rephrase that, I take pleasure in telling everyone not to come here.

Edited by katabeachbum
Name removed as naming and shaming is illegal in Thailand

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me rephrase that, I take pleasure in telling everyone not to come here.

You need to step up your game a bit mate. The numbers of tourists coming to Phuket has been healthily stable for a long time, and is showing no signs of changing. Your opinion is in the tiny minority.

Still, if you get pleasure from it, I don't suppose it matters if it serves any purpose or not.

Don't forget that 99.9% of the tourists take tuktuks without any issues.

Exactly. Not only that it's been said 40 times allready, so if you want to help the OP, why not come up with something elses. Otherwise you're just making yourselves sound like you have irrational issues with Tuk Tuk's and an uncontrollable desire to slag them off.

Quite. Everybody knows that tuk tuks are a good mode of transport on Phuket. They're not out to rip-off tourists at all, and there is certainly no 'mafia' going with them.

99.9% of tourists know better than to actually complain about the amount charged.... They're on holiday - who can blame them for not wanting to get involved in an argument!

:cheesy:

Priceless - keep it up!

You need to step up your game a bit mate. The numbers of tourists coming to Phuket has been healthily stable for a long time, and is showing no signs of changing. Your opinion is in the tiny minority.

Still, if you get pleasure from it, I don't suppose it matters if it serves any purpose or not.

I am on my game, mate. In fact this is how "on my game" I am.

The tourist that are coming here now, are not the same as the tourists who used to come here. The Thai's have ruined one market and are directing their attention to another market. I know this from many conversations with farang business owners who see the change in arrivals. It's a matter of time before Thailand runs out of people to shop their wares too. The season is getting shorter also, and some tourist groups currently coming are known for not spending any money.

Personally, I would have liked to have had an enjoyable time in Phuket, but in my first week I had someone try to scam me....and it never stopped.

I am on my game, mate. In fact this is how "on my game" I am.

The tourist that are coming here now, are not the same as the tourists who used to come here. The Thai's have ruined one market and are directing their attention to another market. I know this from many conversations with farang business owners who see the change in arrivals. It's a matter of time before Thailand runs out of people to shop their wares too. The season is getting shorter also, and some tourist groups currently coming are known for not spending any money.

Personally, I would have liked to have had an enjoyable time in Phuket, but in my first week I had someone try to scam me....and it never stopped.

Most tourists I meet are repetingly coming here. Again and again.

Perhaps they enjoy Phuket

True, there are different people coming, but i don't think you have the reasons right.

Simoly a matter of the financial crisis.

The OP asked about the "do's and don't s of Phuket", and I suggested some things to mitigate problems. There was a response saying that tourists continued to come and I should step up my game, by an obvious fan of Phuket. I responded that the tourists have changed, meaning that it is a different market, because many have had bad experiences. I do not believe the numbers offered by the Thai authorities, lying is part of the culture here.

Should you look around this forum you will see how the "leaders" of this country are trying to address the "big four" problems of Phuket. Two of those problems are jet ski's and tuk tuk's, exactly what I warned the OP about. The financial crisis has nothing to do with the change in the tourist arriving in Phuket, which some say has increased, making your statement a mute point.

Strangely, much of life is about destruction or deconstruction, to rebuild again new. Stated differently, mistakes are the portal to knowledge. Perhaps the failure of Phuket, which I believe is inevitable, will provide an opportunity to cleanse itself if, and only if, the Thai's are willing to take responsibility for what they created. I won't be holding my breath.

I responded that the tourists have changed, meaning that it is a different market, because many have had bad experiences.
Yes, different market at the moment, but IMO not because of bad experiences. Just check the topurist forums and you'll see.
The financial crisis has nothing to do with the change in the tourist arriving in Phuket
I have noticed the financial crisis has a major impact on the change in tourists. Just as the tourists have changed after the tsunami.

But this is going off topic.

It is always easy to find people unwilling or unable to see pragmatically; the big picture. The mere fact that diplomats are voicing concerns about the dangers of Phuket, and honorary counsels are "addressing the problems" "repeatedly" means, Phuket has a plethora of problems. So....I disagree.

The financial crisis has nothing to do with the change in the tourist arriving in Phuket, which some say has increased, making your statement a mute point.

BTW, if there is an increase that does not make my statement that the change has been influenced/mainly created by the financial crisis a mute point.

It is always easy to find people unwilling or unable to see pragmatically; the big picture. The mere fact that diplomats are voicing concerns about the dangers of Phuket, and honorary counsels are "addressing the problems" "repeatedly" means, Phuket has a plethora of problems. So....I disagree.

LOL, so you disagree that people coming here again and again are having a good time and are enjoying Phuket because these people are not seeing the big picture.

BTW, if there is an increase that does not make my statement that the change has been influenced/mainly created by the financial crisis a mute point.

Correct, but, possibly a moot point?

Incorrect, and yes, a moot point. I was taking a piss, and wanted too see who was awake. Too your credit, KarenBravo, you are alive! :D

Ive got a "Phuket Do's and Donts"

Do enjoy Phuket because it really is a magic place most of the time..... Dont become a jaded expat rolleyes.gif

I've got a "Phuket Do's and Dont's

Do stay away from Phuket because it sucks a$$ most of the time.....Don't become a delusional expat :rolleyes:

Ive got a "Phuket Do's and Donts"

Do enjoy Phuket because it really is a magic place most of the time..... Dont become a jaded expat rolleyes.gif

I've got a "Phuket Do's and Dont's

Do stay away from Phuket because it sucks a$ most of the time.....Don't become a delusional expat :rolleyes:

Meanwhile the expats that live here comfortably laugh up their sleeves at the people who say Phuket sucks and keep quiet.

If you rent a car or motorcycle around Patong....

Don't park near tuk-tuks. They claim certain territories near the beach, and if you dare park in one of their unmarked but "claimed" spots, they'll become very threatening and knock your block off if you protest. Definitely a mafia mentality. The shame of Patong. dry.gif

Don't park near tuk-tuks. They claim certain territories near the beach, and if you dare park in one of their unmarked but "claimed" spots, they'll become very threatening and knock your block off if you protest. Definitely a mafia mentality. The shame of Patong. dry.gif

Very true, at the least they will let your tyres down. But not to worry now that we have the big Jungceylon car park under the big mall. Free for 3 hours if you spend just 100 baht in the mall, and only 10 baht/hour if you just park and walk down Bangla into central Patong. Forget about parking on the beach front road, just not worth the hassle and you have to pay parking fees anyway.

Meanwhile the expats that live here comfortably laugh up their sleeves at the people who say Phuket sucks and keep quiet.

I live in another part of Thailand, make FIVE times the money, have HALF of the expenses, and laugh my a$$ off at people who haven't got a clue. :coffee1:

I live in another part of Thailand, make FIVE times the money, have HALF of the expenses, and laugh my a$$ off at people who haven't got a clue. :coffee1:

I don't doubt what you say, but there is a reason that Phuket is more expensive for RESIDENTIAL living compared with other parts of Thailand. A range of very good beaches, a range of scenery, a range of housing, a decent infrastucture of shopping, food stores, TV services, internet options. We have had a good look (over the years) about the living options through Thailand, and Phuket continues to have a lot to offer for the savvy/experienced expat.

I live in another part of Thailand, make FIVE times the money, have HALF of the expenses, and laugh my a$ off at people who haven't got a clue. :coffee1:

*snigger*

Despite the huge increase in hotelrooms and accomodation, hotels have been full all high season. Partly new customers, partly returning customers.

So, we agree to disagree which tourists are coming here. However since I have been living here full time past 8 years, I see the same tourists coming year after year.

I travel a lot around Thailand, by bike and mostly car, all over the country, every year. Everyday items and services cost the same all over the country. In Phuket and a few other places in Thailand I can in addition find services and items not available in the rest of the country

Despite the huge increase in hotelrooms and accomodation, hotels have been full all high season. Partly new customers, partly returning customers.

So, we agree to disagree which tourists are coming here. However since I have been living here full time past 8 years, I see the same tourists coming year after year.

While I do agree that I see plenty of the same repeat tourists and long stay expats over quite a number of years, I am sceptical that the huge increase in hotel rooms and rental apartments over the past couple of years leads to high occupancy rates. From my own experience and owners I talk to, occupancy rates seem to be down, particularily during this current 2011 low season.

I live in another part of Thailand, make FIVE times the money, have HALF of the expenses, and laugh my a$ off at people who haven't got a clue. :coffee1:

whatever.

I too live in another part of Thailand; spent just one year living on Phuket, love the place but decided on a change in 2010, see more of the country.

Been back on holiday; recommend it to friends - with sensible cautions.

We had a great time there, made good, lasting friends.

This is such a ridiculous comment that it makes the fact that he/she is classed as a 'senior member' a complete joke.

FIVE times the money of who...a local fisherman?

Very true, at the least they will let your tyres down. But not to worry now that we have the big Jungceylon car park under the big mall. Free for 3 hours if you spend just 100 baht in the mall, and only 10 baht/hour if you just park and walk down Bangla into central Patong. Forget about parking on the beach front road, just not worth the hassle and you have to pay parking fees anyway.

Of course they may just ask you to move, and you could just say, OK and move, and not get you knickers in a twist, and feel like your human rights have been violated, and spend the next 10 years coming on forums to moan about it. :whistling:

When you'ved finished laughing, why don't you tell us about the choice of local, international schools you have. And tell us about the local beaches, 5 star spas and restaurants. I assume you have 3 international marinas as well, what are they like? Tell us all what offshore island you have within a couple of hours of your house, for diving and boating. When you've finished, it will be our turn to have a good giggle. :D

When you'ved finished laughing, why don't you tell us about the choice of local, international schools you have. And tell us about the local beaches, 5 star spas and restaurants. I assume you have 3 international marinas as well, what are they like? Tell us all what offshore island you have within a couple of hours of your house, for diving and boating. When you've finished, it will be our turn to have a good giggle. :D

There's only 2 decent international school in phuket...

Areas like Khao Yai next to korat are amazing, much more than phuket. Wineyards, National park, Clean people, No influx of poor tourist, No influx of killing thais from the south here to make a quick buck, good international school, less than 2 hours from bangkok/pattaya.

I'd personally be there but my gf thinks its better suited for retirement which were lightyears away from

Only negative thing for every region is the lack of villa market/quality hospitals. in phuket you stand a chance for survival so for old folks i guess there is no other solution than pattaya, phuket or bangkok.