Kasikorn Bank Central Festival

gaga2011

In passing earlier today, I decided to move some money from various accounts into another by withdrawing and then depositing. I had my passport, account numbers, and withdraw slips neatly completed but was informed without the bank books, no withdraw or transfer was permitted. In disbelief, I asked "so if I had 99 mllion baht in your bank but lost my book, I could not get my money?" You can guess the answer...

Try this one.

Bank of Ayudhya : I have to pay 5000 Baht to a company who sent me a payment slip and has an account with bank of Ayudhya themselves.As I don't use this bank so much and there are no sufficient amount in my account I go to the branch at The Avenue with my bank book and deposit 15000 Bht in cash in my account.After that I hand over the payment slip and ask them to transfer the money from my account to the receivers account as would be done in any civilised country.

Can not Sir,you have to withdraw 5000 Baht and then transfer the money manually.

Ok,then take out 5000 Bt from the 15000 Baht I deposited just a second ago and transfer it to the other company.

Can not Sir,you didn't bring your Passport so you can not withdraw.

Unseen Thailand isn't it?

Try this one.

Bank of Ayudhya : I have to pay 5000 Baht to a company who sent me a payment slip and has an account with bank of Ayudhya themselves.As I don't use this bank so much and there are no sufficient amount in my account I go to the branch at The Avenue with my bank book and deposit 15000 Bht in cash in my account.After that I hand over the payment slip and ask them to transfer the money from my account to the receivers account as would be done in any civilised country.

Can not Sir,you have to withdraw 5000 Baht and then transfer the money manually.

Ok,then take out 5000 Bt from the 15000 Baht I deposited just a second ago and transfer it to the other company.

As you say you have a BAY account, and I assume an ATM card as well, why not just use the ATM to transfer the money. You can use Thai ATMs to transfer money to just about any other Thai bank account (not just BAY). You can also use them to pay many recurring monthly bills, top-up your mobile phone, and pay for things like airline tickets.

As for the op, I'm sure there is some procedure for obtaining access to one's funds if the bank-book is lost...like getting a new bank book :o:lol:

But I do agree that dealing with Thai banks and their silly rules and procedures, not to mention their endless fees for the most mundane banking services, is one of my pet peeves as well.

Try this one.

As you say you have a BAY account, and I assume an ATM card as well, why not just use the ATM to transfer the money. You can use Thai ATMs to transfer money to just about any other Thai bank account (not just BAY). You can also use them to pay many recurring monthly bills, top-up your mobile phone, and pay for things like airline tickets.

I don't have an Atm card on this account and that was also not my point.

The issue is that I handed them in person 15000 Baht to deposit in my account,and which they accepted happily,then when at the very same time I have to take out part of that same money because they can not process the transfer in a civilised manner they pretend not to know me anymore.

Try this one.

The issue is that I handed them in person 15000 Baht to deposit in my account,and which they accepted happily,then when at the very same time I have to take out part of that same money because they can not process the transfer in a civilised manner they pretend not to know me anymore.

Well, like I said, they do have their silly rules...just surprised they took the deposit without the bank book. But in any case, seeing the bank book I guess is an extra security precaution, is for your benefit. Now you know, like most of us do already, that whenever you have to do any teller bank transactions, to take your bank book with you :D

Try this one.

Well, like I said, they do have their silly rules...just surprised they took the deposit without the bank book. But in any case, seeing the bank book I guess is an extra security precaution, is for your benefit. Now you know, like most of us do already, that whenever you have to do any teller bank transactions, to take your bank book with you :D

I suggest you read my first post again.I took my bank book with me...........I deposit 15000 Baht in my account which they of course register in my bank book.

''In disbelief, I asked "so if I had 99 mllion baht in your bank but lost my book, I could not get my money?" You can guess the answer... ''

the answer would be :

if you lose book, report loss to police, get copy police report, bring back to bank, we make new book for you.......

Edited by timekeeper

''In disbelief, I asked "so if I had 99 mllion baht in your bank but lost my book, I could not get my money?" You can guess the answer... ''

the answer would be :

if you lose book, report loss to police, get copy police report, bring back to bank, we make new book for you.......

I do agree but my passport, account info, and withdraw slips all have the same info positively identifying me and corresponding, what much more worth are the bank books then?

Try this one.

I suggest you read my first post again.I took my bank book with me...........I deposit 15000 Baht in my account which they of course register in my bank book.

Sorry...had you confused with the op, gaga, who didn't bring his bank book. That's all he was missing.

the answer would be :

I do agree but my passport, account info, and withdraw slips all have the same info positively identifying me and corresponding, what much more worth are the bank books then?

i agree it seems tedious and over egging the omelet but contrast that with all the stories on TV you here of people mysteriously being ripped off by the banks then its an extra security issue i personally welcome

"I do agree but my passport, account info, and withdraw slips all have the same info positively identifying me and corresponding, what much more worth are the bank books then?"

Simple, it has your signature in it, so they need to compare the signature in the book with the signature on the withdrawal slip, they have no other signature for you on file.

"I do agree but my passport, account info, and withdraw slips all have the same info positively identifying me and corresponding, what much more worth are the bank books then?"

Simple, it has your signature in it, so they need to compare the signature in the book with the signature on the withdrawal slip, they have no other signature for you on file.

good call man, simple when you think about it......

Here's another "heads-up" for the Kasikorn Bank.

I wanted to change my mobile phone number linked to my account for internet banking. Went there twice, spent about an hour each time, signed many times and both times they refused to accept my signature as they said it was different to the signature on my passport. I had a pretty rough passport signature, and because these days I don't hand write much (too much typing) my signature can be a bit rough and inconsistent.

Both times they sent me away thinking the job was done. The first time they didn't contact me and just left my mobile number the same on my Internet banking. The second time they told me it was ok at the bank but a few days later I received an email stating that the signature was no good.

Now I'll have to practice my passport signature before I go back and try again for the 3rd time.Thai script is probably more precise than English handwriting, therefore they're very fussy when matching signatures.

Edited by tropo

the answer would be :

today i went lost book and card, 50 baht new book 100 baht new card with passport, no probelm. no need to report loss to police. ayyuda ( yellow bank)

they have signature from when you opened account, passport is enough. did it today big file went back to when i opened checked sig and it was ok

Here's another "heads-up" for the Kasikorn Bank.

I wanted to change my mobile phone number linked to my account for internet banking. Went there twice, spent about an hour each time, signed many times and both times they refused to accept my signature as they said it was different to the signature on my passport. I had a pretty rough passport signature, and because these days I don't hand write much (too much typing) my signature can be a bit rough and inconsistent.

Both times they sent me away thinking the job was done. The first time they didn't contact me and just left my mobile number the same on my Internet banking. The second time they told me it was ok at the bank but a few days later I received an email stating that the signature was no good.

Now I'll have to practice my passport signature before I go back and try again for the 3rd time.Thai script is probably more precise than English handwriting, therefore they're very fussy when matching signatures.

Seems pretty pedantic of them considering your picture is also in the passport! In addition, they should have a copy to compare of this same passport from when you opened the account.

Edited by FarangBuddha

Seems pretty pedantic of them considering your picture is also in the passport! In addition, they should have a copy to compare of this same passport from when you opened the account.

Part of the process is taking a photo copy of your passport and comparing the signature on the form with the one in your passport, also requiring another signature on the photocopy of the passport.

I've decided just to keep my old number as I can't be bothered going back there again.

What the OP experienced is standard procedure for [most] Thai banks.

For savings account withdrawels - passbook and [at the discretion of the individual branch] photo ID.

If you loose your passbook, report it lost and standard ID check to obtain a new one. If you report your passbook as "maybe stolen", you will need to provide a police report before a new book will be issued.

Best advice is to try and do most of your banking by ATM card. Transaction range is all there and you don't have to deal with some teller who may not be all that experienced with bank procedures, and individual branch policy.

Cheque or current accounts don't provide a pass book [or even an ATM card for companies]. Withdrawel is by cheque or E banking.

Just one of the pleasures of living in a backward, draconian society. Don’t you love it?

10 years ago I had to near crawl over broken glass to get Internet Banking with Kasikorn which was impossible, at that time, without a Work Permit but which I had.

Bloody ‘Bankbook’!! When was the last time you saw one of those in the Western World?

Just one of the pleasures of living in a backward, draconian society. Don't you love it?

10 years ago I had to near crawl over broken glass to get Internet Banking with Kasikorn which was impossible, at that time, without a Work Permit but which I had.

That was certainly true 10 years ago but it's much better now (notwithstanding the roadblock described by the op). When I setup my Kasikorn savings account a few months ago, they setup the internet banking component at the same time. They also setup my mobile phone notifications so that whenever I make a debit transaction using the ATM card, I get an immediate SMS of the amount of the charge and remaining balance (sometimes before I have even put the receipt in my wallet). Kasikorn also has an Android app for mobile phone banking on that platform. So things have moved along during the past 10 years.

Actually, these ATM/internet/mobile banking services are on par (or better) than what I often get back home (USA).

I still think the banking system in Thailand is one of the best in the world.....hey I opened a new account and withing 12 minutes I walked out the branch, atm, pin number and passbook in hand......in the UK that would take me at least 14 'working days'.............transfer money in the UK, time taken 4 'working days' so with a bank holiday a week...Thailand, go to any atm and transfer money to another bank instantly...................stop your whinging geezer....................banks here are fantastic!!!!!!

I still think the banking system in Thailand is one of the best in the world.....hey I opened a new account and withing 12 minutes I walked out the branch, atm, pin number and passbook in hand......in the UK that would take me at least 14 'working days'.............transfer money in the UK, time taken 4 'working days' so with a bank holiday a week...Thailand, go to any atm and transfer money to another bank instantly...................stop your whinging geezer....................banks here are fantastic!!!!!!

Really?Do they also pay 0% interest in the UK?Or do you also have to pay for withdrawing your own money at a branch outside you city?Or pay a fee for for transferring money between 2 of your own accounts?

Really?Do they also pay 0% interest in the UK?Or do you also have to pay for withdrawing your own money at a branch outside you city?Or pay a fee for for transferring money between 2 of your own accounts?

No, you just have to bail them out with hundreds of billions (trillions?) of taxpayer money when they make stupid mortgage bets and other speculations to keep them from going bankrupt and your nations financial system from collapsing. But hey, at least you got that free checking account, one-percent interest rate, and free toaster!

Just one of the pleasures of living in a backward, draconian society. Don't you love it?

Bloody 'Bankbook'!! When was the last time you saw one of those in the Western World?

A decade is a lifetime in Internet development. I find the Kasikorn Internet banking facility very good and opening an account was easy.

No, you just have to bail them out with hundreds of billions (trillions?) of taxpayer money when they make stupid mortgage bets and other speculations to keep them from going bankrupt and your nations financial system from collapsing. But hey, at least you got that free checking account, one-percent interest rate, and free toaster!

we had to do this in UK solely because of the greed of the American financial system

had it not been for the corrupt companies and traders in the US this would not have become a UK problem at all

in fact after dealing with our own problems in UK, you boys adopted the then UK premier Gordon Browns policies in dealing with the problem you had created

in many cases your government made handsome profits by investing in your own ailing companies just as Brown advised you to do

all your financial muscle (debt) and you still have to turn to your old colonial masters to give you solid financial advice........

Regret the thread has been going south with off topic posts for a while now and as it has now gone even further off the rails, I'm going to close it up

//CLOSED//