No Operating System On New Computers In Thailand

gudtymchuk

COST!

It makes the machines appear cheaper, high end systems do tend to come with an OS as it forms less percentage of the overall cost.

Not all new machines come without an OS, but you are right a large majority don't include :(

A big negative is that it encourages the use of pirate OSs. I must admit I'm surprised that the big names (HP etc) allow their machines to be sold this way.

On a plus side, it means I don't have to pay for Windows if I'm going to install Linux or another 'nix OS.

COST!

It makes the machines appear cheaper, high end systems do tend to come with an OS as it forms less percentage of the overall cost.

Not all new machines come without an OS, but you are right a large majority don't include :(

A big negative is that it encourages the use of pirate OSs. I must admit I'm surprised that the big names (HP etc) allow their machines to be sold this way.

On a plus side, it means I don't have to pay for Windows if I'm going to install Linux or another 'nix OS.

Thanks Crossy. Guess I will wait until I go back to the states so I can get all the "Bundled Software" that comes with new computers.

Btw. Current linux distributions are even more user friendly than Windows.

2 weeks ago I purchased a netbook that had some linix distro on it, was always going to instal win7 but I had a look at it anyways, took me 10 minutes just to find how to turn it off............

My Lenovo T43p laptop recently died. Apparently the main board was the problem. I did not have it repaired because it had two main board failures in five years.

I bought an Acer laptop from Tesco and it came with Linux. Linux may be a good operating system but my wife uses the laptop for learning English. Non of her programs work with Linux. Fortunately I had a legal Windows 7 PRO on the Lenovo so I installed it on the Acer.

If you have no favorite programs, Linux is fine for the Internet and Open Office is a great free office suite.

My Lenovo T43p laptop recently died. Apparently the main board was the problem. I did not have it repaired because it had two main board failures in five years.

I bought an Acer laptop from Tesco and it came with Linux. Linux may be a good operating system but my wife uses the laptop for learning English. Non of her programs work with Linux. Fortunately I had a legal Windows 7 PRO on the Lenovo so I installed it on the Acer.

If you have no favorite programs, Linux is fine for the Internet and Open Office is a great free office suite.

That's true. Linux is more than adequate for general use like internet and word processing but if you have any Windows specific software you have to go back. That's the reason I keep my machine dual booted. Linux does work incredibly well though otherwise. Generally everything just works and if you need software for something to work it downloads it for you.

COST!

Thanks Crossy. Guess I will wait until I go back to the states so I can get all the "Bundled Software" that comes with new computers.

I have purchased two computers here over the years, and they did come with Genuine Windows. However, if you can buy one in the U.S. not only do you get the bundled software, but they are significantly less expensive with a wider selection. If you are lucky enough to have the option of buying in the U.S., do it. The warranties are International.

You have a choice - when I bough my first NB it come with no SW at all - but the guys in IT City sent my notebook before handing over to me behind the corner to a small shop who put "all you need SW" for 500 THB ... the other one came only with genuine (with sticker) Win 7, but again was sent for 500 THB upgrade in the small shop ... so everything works and business as usual for all ...

There are Linux versions, or Linux equivalents of many of the programmes you are used to in Windows.

Open Office

Firefox for browsing

Thunderbird for e-mail

Gimp for photoediting

You have a choice - when I bough my first NB it come with no SW at all - but the guys in IT City sent my notebook before handing over to me behind the corner to a small shop who put "all you need SW" for 500 THB ... the other one came only with genuine (with sticker) Win 7, but again was sent for 500 THB upgrade in the small shop ... so everything works and business as usual for all ...

Erm... you say that the Netbook came with Windows 7. So why did you need to pay 500 baht for an 'upgrade'?

Erm... you say that the Netbook came with Windows 7. So why did you need to pay 500 baht for an 'upgrade'?

Maybe a different version of Windows 7?

MSPain

What bundled software do you need? The trial versions that expire just as you get to know them? Windows comes with anti-virus/security, partition manager is built in and defrag is automatic, backup and restore is part of OS. For browsing IE/Chrome/FF are free. For video Media Player/VLC/GOM are free. For photos Picasa 3 is free. For PDF Foxit is free. For Torrents uTorrent is free. For NZB downloads SABnzbd is free. For drawing SketchUp 8 is free. So Microsoft Office and financial program Quicken are likely the only must have pay for items for many.

What bundled software do you need? The trial versions that expire just as you get to know them? Windows comes with anti-virus/security, partition manager is built in and defrag is automatic, backup and restore is part of OS. For browsing IE/Chrome/FF are free. For video Media Player/VLC/GOM are free. For photos Picasa 3 is free. For PDF Foxit is free. For Torrents uTorrent is free. For NZB downloads SABnzbd is free. For drawing SketchUp 8 is free. So Microsoft Office and financial program Quicken are likely the only must have pay for items for many.

Valid point. With "Open Office", as someone mentioned, it is debatable if one even needs Microsoft Office. That said, computer prices are so much cheaper in the U.S., purchasing there is still the best option if you have it available.

I recently ordered a new ACER netbook from the U.S. (the particular model I wanted wasn't available in Thailand). I ordered it online, sent it to my daughters home, shipped it to Thailand, paid a 300bt additional charge at the post office, and it was still cheaper than purchasing something similar here, and I got exactly what I wanted.

Edited by silverhawk_usa

I have also noticed that many shops, including Siam Paragon, have notebooks for sale with only DOS and it seems I am correct in my assumption that is to keep the headline cost artificially low. So if I purchased one of these how much would a legal Windows 7 cost me, and would it be easy to install, I'm assuming an illegal copy would cause problems?

My gf purchased a notebook a few years ago from a shop in Paragon, think it's called IT, she wanted a copy of Microsoft Office, they didn't have any so they installed a pirated copy for which has worked perfectly, so it seems that even the legit stores are not immune from providing illegal software.

Edited by theoldgit

I have also noticed that many shops, including Siam Paragon, have notebooks for sale with only DOS and it seems I am correct in my assumption that is to keep the headline cost artificially low. So if I purchased one of these how much would a legal Windows 7 cost me, and would it be easy to install, I'm assuming an illegal copy would cause problems?

My gf purchased a notebook a few years ago from a shop in Paragon, think it's called IT, she wanted a copy of Microsoft Office, they didn't have any so they installed a pirated copy for which has worked perfectly, so it seems that even the legit stores are not immune from providing illegal software.

I bought a new HP Mini last fall while in the US. It had Windows 7 Starter installed. This is my travel computer. I have not found anything that this operating system will not do. I have Windows 7 Pro on my wife's laptop and also on my desk top, both legal. OEM on the desktop and Retail on the laptop.

Windows 7 Starter is available from http://www.invadeit.co.th/

Microsoft Windows 7 Starter English 32-bit (GJC-00116) OEM Version

Windows 7 Starter English 32-bit (GJC-00116) OEM Version

SKU: #003144 Product number: GJC-00116

฿1,680.00

Pirate software is rampant, even from the biggest name shops, even on brand name computers.

If you have a friend in the US, they can get a three-license copy of Windows 7 Home Premium (which is the version you want) for about $120. See, for example, http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Windows-Premium-Upgrade-Family/dp/B002MV2MG0

At $40 for a 100% legit copy of Windows 7, I don't see any reason at all to put up with pirate Windows. As noted earlier in this thread, pirate copies of Office work. But they don't get updates. Which means you're quite vulnerable to infections that work through Office security holes - of which there are many.

As lopburi3 noted, Windows 7 comes with much of the software you need, although Office continues to be a point of contention. I just published two articles about that:

http://windowssecrets.com/top-story/dont-pay-for-software-you-dont-need-part-1/

http://windowssecrets.com/top-story/dont-pay-for-software-you-dont-need-part-2/

Should have Part 3 published in a couple of weeks.

Actually at full price of $150 for three do not consider it excessive directly from Microsoft. This is considered an upgrade version so similar to OEM as for original computer. It can be downloaded and you use the same serial number of all three computers when you register them online. This is not sold locally. But if you buy local price of about 4-5k for full version seems to be a better deal than the normal OEM versions for 4k as you have full rights to use on any new computer.

Pirate software is rampant, even from the biggest name shops, even on brand name computers.

If you have a friend in the US, they can get a three-license copy of Windows 7 Home Premium (which is the version you want) for about $120. See, for example, http://www.amazon.co...y/dp/B002MV2MG0

At $40 for a 100% legit copy of Windows 7, I don't see any reason at all to put up with pirate Windows. As noted earlier in this thread, pirate copies of Office work. But they don't get updates. Which means you're quite vulnerable to infections that work through Office security holes - of which there are many.

How do you install an upgrade version like the Amazon one you linked to on a laptop that has DOS? Wouldn't you need to have an existing genuine Microsoft XP or Vista to use this option or is there a way around this?

That's true. Linux is more than adequate for general use like internet and word processing but if you have any Windows specific software you have to go back. That's the reason I keep my machine dual booted. Linux does work incredibly well though otherwise. Generally everything just works and if you need software for something to work it downloads it for you.

You can install "Wine" for running windows program in linux......

If you have a friend in the US, they can get a three-license copy of Windows 7 Home Premium (which is the version you want) for about $120. See, for example, http://www.amazon.co...y/dp/B002MV2MG0

How do you install an upgrade version like the Amazon one you linked to on a laptop that has DOS? Wouldn't you need to have an existing genuine Microsoft XP or Vista to use this option or is there a way around this?

Look here. Perhaps just getting hold of a full disc and just using the key will work too.