Around Laos

Rsteeltje

Last time I drove this trip by going on the 11 to Phitsanulok, then Lom Sak, Chum Pae and north to Udon Thani.

Next week I want to try a shorter route, which means taking the 11 only till Nam Ang and then heading east to Nakhon Thai, Loei etc. Does anyone have experience with this route? Is it better that the Phitsanulok route?

Thanks

R'steeltje

Done it the other way, NK - 211 to Chang Khan - Loei - Phu Ruea - Dan Sai - Nakhon Thai - then the 1143 & 1246 coming onto route 11 just south of Utteradit. It is not a route for hustling along but one to enjoy a little more. We stopped at Phu Ruea and Loei. Though I have to admit that was a couple of years ago but apart from it being a pleasant change no problems were encoutered at the time. If time is a factor I would stick to the main road.

Done it the other way, NK - 211 to Chang Khan - Loei - Phu Ruea - Dan Sai - Nakhon Thai - then the 1143 & 1246 coming onto route 11 just south of Utteradit. It is not a route for hustling along but one to enjoy a little more. We stopped at Phu Ruea and Loei. Though I have to admit that was a couple of years ago but apart from it being a pleasant change no problems were encoutered at the time. If time is a factor I would stick to the main road.

Thanks Dellboy,

According to Google maps it is about 100 clicks shorter than main road but according to you it will take longer?

R'tje

Thanks Dellboy,

According to Google maps it is about 100 clicks shorter than main road but according to you it will take longer?

R'tje

I will reply by PM

It's definitely a shorter ride. Cut out the part through Chang Khan and its much faster. Uttaradit, Den Chai, Nakhon thai, Dan Sai, Phu Ruea, Loei, Udon, Nong Khai. I've done this trip about 6 times no problems. The smaller roads between Uttaradit and Den Chai have been redone and are smooth going.

Only suggestions is don't do the ride at night(very few street lights) and use Loei as the halfway/fill-up point.

Thanks Dellboy,

R'tje

I will reply by PM

It's definitely a shorter ride. Cut out the part through Chang Khan and its much faster. Uttaradit, Den Chai, Nakhon thai, Dan Sai, Phu Ruea, Loei, Udon, Nong Khai. I've done this trip about 6 times no problems. The smaller roads between Uttaradit and Den Chai have been redone and are smooth going.

Only suggestions is don't do the ride at night(very few street lights) and use Loei as the halfway/fill-up point.

Thanks Dellboy,

R'tje

I will reply by PM

Yes, that road at Denchai is so much better now and will also make it more difficult for the truckers to block off again forcing you to drive across the paddy fields. I still think the the easier way is to stick to the main road and turn north at Chumpae albeit it is 100km longer. There may not be too much time difference in it but I would have thought this would have been slightly quicker. But then again, I have been driving that route throught Utteradit, Phitsanulok, Chumpae and Khon Kaen for the past 20 years so I guess its something I am used to.

Thats a good point. 2 more things to consider.

1 - You don't want to between Loei and Udon when schools are letting out.

2 - You don't want to do this route when sugar cane is being harvested.

It is a really nice ride though.

Yes, that road at Denchai is so much better now and will also make it more difficult for the truckers to block off again forcing you to drive across the paddy fields. I still think the the easier way is to stick to the main road and turn north at Chumpae albeit it is 100km longer. There may not be too much time difference in it but I would have thought this would have been slightly quicker. But then again, I have been driving that route throught Utteradit, Phitsanulok, Chumpae and Khon Kaen for the past 20 years so I guess its something I am used to.

Thank you all. Now it is up to the boss to decide.

Maybe nice to know, coming from Phitsanulok on the way to Lom Sak there is a very interesting bling bling temple (Wat Chon Keow) on the left handside. The road entrance to the temple has the following coordinates.

16.789134,101.051044. Amazing place.

Cheers

R'steeltje