Teachers With Bachelors Of Education

Just curious how many teachers on this forum have a Bachelor of Education from their respective Country and are currently teaching in Thailand?

Further more what would be the minimum and maximum one could expect to earn with this qualification plus 2-3 years relevant experience teaching in their home country?

Further more what would be the minimum and maximum one could expect to earn with this qualification plus 2-3 years relevant experience teaching in their home country?

There is a HUGE salary range for teachers - it really depends on what type of school you're talking about, as well as what type of positions you have. In some schools (especially those that don't require a degree in Education or home-country teacher certification), you might make 30k. In other schools, you might make 130k+ as a 3rd or 4th year teacher. And of course there are lots of salaries in the middle.

Edited by tonititan

I have a BA (Hons) Primary Education which granted me qualified teacher status in the UK.

In Thailand I average around 130-150k per month as a teacher, plus the usual free housing, utilities etc. Over the years I have worked at 3 internationals in Bangkok. I make more now as I have moved into management.

The minimum a qualified teacher should make is around 80-90k plus benefits, free flights etc etc.

Edited by Phatcharanan

I have a BA (Hons) Primary Education which granted me qualified teacher status in the UK.

In Thailand I average around 130-150k per month as a teacher, plus the usual free housing, utilities etc. Over the years I have worked at 3 internationals in Bangkok. I make more now as I have moved into management.

The minimum a qualified teacher should make is around 80-90k plus benefits, free flights etc etc.

Very good information

I think it also varies depending on region

There are fully qualified teachers teaching in Chiang Mai International Schools that range from 45-90K

There are also qualified teachers earning less, although I don't know any that are earning less than 40K in the Bangkok area. I would guess some of those have chosen schools that pay less for reasons such as being close to where they live etc.

There are also qualified teachers earning less, although I don't know any that are earning less than 40K in the Bangkok area. I would guess some of those have chosen schools that pay less for reasons such as being close to where they live etc.

Whilst that is probably true Scott it is still hard to see that they are 'qualified' enough? Some teachers have BEd's but do not have QTS or NQT status. Quite often, for the truly qualified teachers, the better internationals usually give free accommodation or fairly substantial housing allowances.

Edited by Phatcharanan

I understand what you are saying, but I am talking about fully qualified and Licensed Teachers with teaching experience in their home country.

I don't want to get in an argument about it because they are rare. I've known a few. Most were not recruited from overseas, but came to Thailand and found work.

Perhaps they like being a big fish in a small pond rather than vice versa?

I always found it interesting that the most qualified foreign teacher at the bilingual school I taught at in Bangkok was also the one that hated teaching (and hated the students, who of course hated her back). She finally moved on to another school.

So correct me if I am wrong. If I look at Ajarn and Tefl .com why are there no salaries above 60K being offered? It seems the average is about 40K.

This is not a "poke" it is a genuine question.

I have never seen any above 100K a month

So correct me if I am wrong. If I look at Ajarn and Tefl .com why are there no salaries above 60K being offered? It seems the average is about 40K.

I have never seen any above 100K a month

The teachers that command those type of salaries are home-country qualified and therefore not just EFL/ESL teachers. The schools that employ these teachers generally use other websites such as Tes.co.uk, Search Associates, ETeach, Teachanywhere etc.

Edited by Phatcharanan

I always found it interesting that the most qualified foreign teacher at the bilingual school I taught at in Bangkok was also the one that hated teaching (and hated the students, who of course hated her back).

Why is that interesting?

Thats like me saying, "I always found it interesting that the worst teacher I ever came across was an ex-builder from Liverpool with a 4 week TEFL'.

There are teachers and then there are Teachers. There are people who made a career choice to be an educator. It was their chosen profession from early on (or later, but because of a real burning desire). It's what they do, it's what they love and they approach their work with a very high degree of professionalism.

There are other people who chose teaching because it is a ticket out of their home country and to some place they want to be. They are educators because it is what they have always wanted to do. Teaching is what allows them an income while they do what they always wanted to do--which is often live in Thailand.

I have met a few not highly educated teachers and TEFLers who have been very good teachers. They had studied and had some basic knowledge and they had techniques which assisted them and the students.

The people who get into the real international schools are more often than not, the first group. They probably were doing very well in their own country and they do well here. They earn a good salary.

These are generalizations with a fair number of exceptions, but if you want to get somewhere in the profession, make sure you get the education that suits you for the job. The money will likely follow. If not the options are open.

The majority of under-qualified teachers in Thailand are more or less trapped in a narrow range of opportunities.

A little off-topic, but I hope it's helpful.

The key here is experience, or an in somewhere. I'm speaking as an American with a Bachelor's in Ed, a license, and poor timing for graduation.

You might have a bachelor's of education and a teacher's license, but if your home country (and state) is cutting teachers like no tomorrow then obtaining experience is tough.

There are crops and crops of teachers with experience who have been 'riffed' (reduction in force, nice way to say fired), and why hire a new teacher when you've got experienced teachers lined up?

Hey, maybe we can get by without that teaching position at all, cram some more kids in this room, cut this subject...

As such, a growing number of young teachers are throwing in the towel, OR moving to other countries to teach English. Most throwing in the towel. I will admit my evidence of this is anecdotal.

Ironically, teaching English abroad gives your resume the "Global Perspective" that your home country is looking for, but you'll still start as a year-0 teacher, and many International Schools do not even deem time in a Thai school as 'experience' when they request 2-3 years prior experience. I understand the concept of starting a teacher at year-0 on the pay scale (not that it is right), but saying it's not experience at all is a little maddening, though again depends on the school.

Semantics are great!

Don't even get me started on the nuances of licensing, though of course, this is necessary for International Schools or your home country. Whereas Thai schools that depends who you ask, mai pen rai.

I currently work in an English program for 40K/month, Thai school.

Hey Everyone,

I just came across this forum today and has some questions. I see that the minimum people should be getting for teaching in Thailand is well over 30, 000 Baht. I have a B.Ed from Ontario, Canada and found this program that hires teachers for teaching abroad: http://www.cci-exchange.com/travelabroad/program.aspx?id=3462 It's the professional program that requires a teaching degree. Are there any other suggestions as to how to go about securing a teaching position in Thailand? Here's some highlights from the link:

• Bachelors or Masters Degree in Education, Science or Math is required
  • Minimum contract length: One academic year (two consecutive semesters)
  • Very generous salary: 33,000 Baht per month (~1,070 USD/month)
  • 20,000 Baht (~650 USD) upon successful completion of contract
  • Professional participants have higher expectations placed on them in terms of their teaching ability and performance

You also have to pay almost $2400 in program costs + your flight. I've heard of other people getting paid a lot more with everything included. Thanks for any input.

Hey Everyone,

I just came across this forum today and has some questions. I see that the minimum people should be getting for teaching in Thailand is well over 30, 000 Baht. I have a B.Ed from Ontario, Canada and found this program that hires teachers for teaching abroad: http://www.cci-exchange.com/travelabroad/program.aspx?id=3462 It's the professional program that requires a teaching degree. Are there any other suggestions as to how to go about securing a teaching position in Thailand? Here's some highlights from the link:

• Professional participants have higher expectations placed on them in terms of their teaching ability and performance

You also have to pay almost $2400 in program costs + your flight. I've heard of other people getting paid a lot more with everything included. Thanks for any input.

Wow. 33,000 baht/month is NOT a "very generous salary," especially for a position that requires those degrees and is aimed at someone with teacher qualifications. And you have to pay $2400 (2 months salary!) in "program costs?" What are those?!?! I think if you're desperate to move out of Canada, it could be an option, but it's definitely not your best option.

I did notice that the TEFL program offers free accommodation, a plane ticket home, travel insurance, and a few other perks. It's not completely clear whether those are also offered for the professional program - it would be crazy if they weren't, but who knows. If they were included, it would help sweeten the deal a tad. Although, the $2400 in program costs is probably paying your plane ticket home, insurance, work permit, etc!

You said you have an education degree. Do you have teacher certification in Canada? Do you have any teaching experience? You may be eligible to apply for jobs at the schools that pay more like 100,000 baht per month ($3000) and include flights, visa costs, insurance, housing, etc. To get those, you usually have to apply through one of the recruitment organizations like CIS, ISS, Search, etc. It's past recruiting season for the upcoming school year, so it will probably be difficult to find a position for the 2011-2012 school year. Recruiting is usually done between December-March. You could start preparing to apply for next year, though.

I guess it depends on whether your priority is salary/benefits, or getting to Thailand as quickly as possible. That's a personal decision.

Edited by tonititan

Hey Everyone,

Wow. 33,000 baht/month is NOT a "very generous salary," especially for a position that requires those degrees and is aimed at someone with teacher qualifications. And you have to pay $2400 (2 months salary!) in "program costs?" What are those?!?! I think if you're desperate to move out of Canada, it could be an option, but it's definitely not your best option.

I did notice that the TEFL program offers free accommodation, a plane ticket home, travel insurance, and a few other perks. It's not completely clear whether those are also offered for the professional program - it would be crazy if they weren't, but who knows. If they were included, it would help sweeten the deal a tad. Although, the $2400 in program costs is probably paying your plane ticket home, insurance, work permit, etc!

You said you have an education degree. Do you have teacher certification in Canada? Do you have any teaching experience? You may be eligible to apply for jobs at the schools that pay more like 100,000 baht per month ($3000) and include flights, visa costs, insurance, housing, etc. To get those, you usually have to apply through one of the recruitment organizations like CIS, ISS, Search, etc. It's past recruiting season for the upcoming school year, so it will probably be difficult to find a position for the 2011-2012 school year. Recruiting is usually done between December-March. You could start preparing to apply for next year, though.

I guess it depends on whether your priority is salary/benefits, or getting to Thailand as quickly as possible. That's a personal decision.

Thanks for the quick reply. I knew something wasn't right. The program costs do not cover the flight. Yes, I have teacher certification in Canada with experience. Do you have links for those recruitment organizations? I don't seem to be on the right track in finding the ones you listed. I appreciate it. I'm in no hurry to leave, I just wanna get paid accordingly instead of working for a discount, ya know.

thanks, I can use all the info I can get. I already dismissed that agency that I orignally posted.

Sure, no problem, I just sent you a very long PM.

Very nice of you to help him out

You really need to put in the research time to understand the International School employment market

If you are willing to even consider an agent without thoroughly doing your homework just save yourself the nightmare and stay home

how do you, in you opinion, define a qualified teacher?

I think we will stick to facts rather than opinions. Opinions will lead to arguments.

The laws and regulations of most countries are the determining factor for who is 'qualified'. There also may be different levels of qualification, including provisional or temporary qualifications.

Even in Thailand there are special skills that are granted special dispensation from the rules and regulations. These are generally confined to traditional knowledge or skills that are not taught in University.

The level that you are teaching is also important. A University professor, for example, doesn't need to posses an education degree.

how do you, in you opinion, define a qualified teacher?

It is not an opinion. It is a fact. :)

My quote 'qualified teacher status' (QTS) within the UK means I can teach in state maintained and private schools, at the primary level and for all core and foundation subjects. My reply earlier is with reference to International schools that teach the UK curriculum, specifically England and Wales.

I also hold a teachers license for elementary G1-6 in the grand state of Massachusetts.

Edited by Phatcharanan