Can "Flat Pack" Furniture Be Painted?

wpcoe

By "flat pack," I mean the DIY home-assembled furniture that is usually pressed particle board covered with some vinyl, wood-looking finish.

Will latex paint easily adhere to that type of surface without elaborate preparation? I have an old computer desk that I'm really fond of. Some of the edge veneers have peeled off, and where my arms/wrists rest has had the color removed, but the desk is still structurally sound. (Guys can probably relate to old, comfy clothes that disgust their wives. Well, it's the same with this desk.)

Do I need to rough up the finish with fine sand paper, or what? Not looking for a laborious project, just wondering if it's practical and feasible.

My thought would be to give it a bit of a sand. If that has stuff coming off then continue. Otherwise, just go for the paint job. Latex will definitely cover but might not make a very good work surface. Cover with a glass on top?

I'm oscillating between thinking the effort needed is not worth it, and opposingly, to go for it with gusto! lobpuri3's link is prodding me to take action.

It's actually only two flat surfaces that need help: the desktop itself and the keyboard "drawer" that slides out. Not sure what color to use -- whether to try to get a solid color to match the "wood" finish, or go for a contrasting color, either a dark brown or even a pure white to contrast with the light wood color.

It probably would be safe to test this all on the keyboard drawer -- maybe the bottom, even, just in case it's not as easy as I think.

Another option I was considering was contact paper, but I don't think I've even seen any in Thailand stores. The closest I can recall is opaque glass covering.

Spoonman: Was it a tape or some sort of stiff molding? I can't seem to picture what you used.

I sweat a lot so where I let my right wrist droop (I know, I know, bad ergonomics...) while using the mouse on the keyboard drawer, and where I often just rest my arm on the desktop have all had the finish eaten away. As well, the veneer strip along the entire from edge of the desktop came loose and I ripped it off.

So, maybe Spoonman's solution for the edge, and just painting the flat desktop and keyboard drawer surface will be enough. Still not sure what color to use, though.

post-33251-0-31286200-1305993413_thumb.j

Oh, wait. I just re-read Spoonman's post and I think I misunderstood the first time. You used some automotive vinyl to cover the entire flat surface of your desktop? Is is textured like a leather-like dashboard cover?

Heck, now that I'm thinking in that mode, maybe even something like a thin linoleum would work? Or, I wonder if those opaque window films would adhere. Hmmmmm....

Oh, wait. I just re-read Spoonman's post and I think I misunderstood the first time. You used some automotive vinyl to cover the entire flat surface of your desktop? Is is textured like a leather-like dashboard cover?

Heck, now that I'm thinking in that mode, maybe even something like a thin linoleum would work? Or, I wonder if those opaque window films would adhere. Hmmmmm....

Easiest way to describe, its the same material used on scooter seats and yes it has a texture (grain), A 2mx1m piece cost me 200b and I just bought a small tin of contact adhesive glue from HomePro.

Nice easy clean surface and feels slightly "cushioned" under the elbows.

Edited by Spoonman

Thanks for the explanation. Now I know what you're talking about. I had also wondered if it were self-adhesive, and you answered that as well.

I can rule out the briefly-considered window film: I looked at some at Home Pro and apparently it's not "adhesive" at all, it simply "clings" to the glass, like the protective covers on iPhones and camera backs. I doubt it would cling to the desk's finish sufficiently, nor permanently.

I bought some sand paper and spray primer to test on the bottom surface of the keyboard drawer. But, a few days ago I antagonized my lower back (previous ruptured disk) and last night I fell asleep on the couch in a totally non-ergonomic position and today am practically immobilized with back pain. So, the project (and much of life in general!) is on hold until further notice. <sigh...>

• 2 weeks later...
I trimmed the top surface of my PC desk with a dark grey vinyl that I purchased from my local motor trimmer.

I took a stroll down the main road in Hua Hin, stopping in at moto-sai and car repair places, and *finally* found a place who knew what I was asking for. However, the only really acceptable color they had was black, and not enough of it. So I bought enough black textured vinyl (texture = fake leather) for the main desktop surface, and the keyboard drawer. They had some gray vinyl that I bought for the upper desk top surfaces, but not yet sure I like it enough.

They sold me a can of glue and told/showed me to spread it well with a wide bladed putty knife (not sure what the real name is), and to apply the glue to both the wood and the back of the vinyl, wait about five minutes until it was just tacky to touch, and apply the vinyl to the wood.

I was kind of dreading the process, since I can be a real klutz and was afraid of making a real mess, and not sure how easy it would be to spread the glue thin and evenly, especially on the vinyl, using a somewhat sharp metal blade.

Then, at Home Pro, looking for something else, I found "3M Super 77 Spray Adhesive." It worked very well! I had masked the surrounding area for overspray, but I really don't think I need to do that. It was easy to control the spray.

I really like the look. When my (black) notebook is closed, it's almost invisible.

Here's an "after" pic:

post-33251-0-88267300-1307045894_thumb.j