Suggestions For New Car

I am thinking about getting a new car but I have no idea what I should get.

I used to drive luxury sedans, V8 with cruise control and very stylish and comfortable but that was in countries with good, wide roads.

Here in Thailand I drive mainly in Phuket for shopping (maybe 40 - 120 km per week) so I did not really like to use a pick-up like a Vigo because of the parking. I have been using a Mitsubishi Evolution. For Phuket and driving between provinces it's been ok, although the hard suspension hasn't been too comfortable on the bad roads when driving say between Phuket to Bangkok. After arriving at night I could still feel the vibrations of the road when lying in bed.

My driving style also changed to be less risky since having a child so the sporty car is not that useful anymore, it might stay in the family though.

The thing is that I also drive to visit family in the countryside a couple of times per year and I have to go places without roads, the dirt tracks are in such a bad condition that I can't use them with a sedan especially not a low one.

I need 5 doors though and I want a comfortable interior, I would prefer automatic, something where I can turn the 4x4 on and off I guess.

I like things like comfortable seats, armrests, cupholders, automatic lights, good safety (crash safety, child locks) and being able to put the seats down to carry large items easily. I also like it if the car is big enough inside to sleep in it.

I like controls on the steering wheel, I like it if it's easy to get in and out of the car and doors that open easily.

I like white as a color.

I am really lost as to what cars I should test drive.

I would probably just try a camry, but there are several relatives I would not be able to visit in my car so it doesn't suit me.

Now I am reading about the Mitsubishi Pajero Sport but I have not yet looked at it or driven it and I am worried it's a bit too big for everyday use. A 3 door would not suit me at all though.

I like Mitsubishi because I have been happy with their service department in Phuket and that is another very important thing to consider. They even handled service professionally on a car that I did not buy there and that was a grey import from Japan and never even sold in Thailand.

Any suggestions welcome.

Your a Salesmans Nightmare, id suggest a Vitara.Not too Big and a Pleasant Allrounder.Apart from a Hellicoptor, im lost for any other Ideas.:D

Same idea came to my mind if you don't mind paying a lot in gas. You can even put a fake land rover front grill(it does look similar to a mini land rover) like some clever guy in phuket has done

Maybe try the nissan crossover? it's not volvo but its decently close and a lot cheaper.

You didn't mention your budget.

But if the budget is no issue, why don't you consider the Volkswagen Golf GTi?

It has 5 doors, a fantastic engine (210HP), an even greater gearbox (double clutch, 6 gears, allowing the smoothest automatic mode there is or a paddle shifting sports mode), adjustable suspension settings, about 7 airbags.

It's not too big for city traffic and easy parking, but quite spacious with 5 doors and hatch. Comfortable seats for long distance driving.

The downside? Well, it's not exactly cheap (2.6 M THB).

If money is not an issue, Porsche Cayenne, Range Rover, Volvo X90, Audi Q5 and Q7, BMW 6 and 7 works excellent at highspeed and off road

However most of us have a limited car budget, so we have to do with Pajero Sport or Fortuner to be able to go the last miles on crappy roads and acceptable up to 160kmh on highways.

Honda CRV and Chev Captiva can manage, but are not sturdy enough to take any offroad beating, and are not any better at 160 kmh on highways. Smoother around town tho.

At max 1,2 million baht, my choice would be Pajero Sport

OP never mentioned budget, but even as nice as the cars kata mentioned are, I believe they are more they type of ''2nd'' car in the household, not the family runabout. Many people with the cars above will have something like a CRV to dink around town in. I'd go with the CRV over the Pajero, especially if she thinks the Pajero is too big. CRV has crap brake and throttle response, but it checks all of the OP's requirements pretty well.

Other options are the wagons - Audi wagon with Quattro or a SAAB 9-5 wagon should be able to get you onto/off of some semi-back roads.

OP never mentioned budget, but even as nice as the cars kata mentioned are, I believe they are more they type of ''2nd'' car in the household, not the family runabout. Many people with the cars above will have something like a CRV to dink around town in. I'd go with the CRV over the Pajero, especially if she thinks the Pajero is too big. CRV has crap brake and throttle response, but it checks all of the OP's requirements pretty well.

Other options are the wagons - Audi wagon with Quattro or a SAAB 9-5 wagon should be able to get you onto/off of some semi-back roads.

both the saab and audi has ground clearance as a camry, 12-13 cm. with modern long wheelbase 270-290 cm, unsuited on bad gravel roads and in potholes

and I forgot to mention both Fortuner and Pajero Sport is same length, width and wheelbase as Camry, the impressive size and volume comes from its height.

If money is not an issue, Porsche Cayenne, Range Rover, Volvo X90, Audi Q5 and Q7, BMW 6 and 7 works excellent at highspeed and off road

However most of us have a limited car budget, so we have to do with Pajero Sport or Fortuner to be able to go the last miles on crappy roads and acceptable up to 160kmh on highways.

Honda CRV and Chev Captiva can manage, but are not sturdy enough to take any offroad beating, and are not any better at 160 kmh on highways. Smoother around town tho.

At max 1,2 million baht, my choice would be Pajero Sport

Perhaps the Lady, like most of us isnt interested in 160 on Highways, Offroad Beatings, or any other Yob Like behaviour, she did request advice on anything other than Trucks.

There's a few options the OP might want to explore - all are SUV wagons, all have their own pros and cons:

• Mitsu Pajero Sport: base-spec 4WD - 1.15M, top-spec 4WD (ticks all the boxes) - 1.31M
  • Toyota Fortuner: base-spec 4WD - 1.34M, top-spec 1.45M
  • Ford Everest: top-spec 4WD - 1.24M, sport version - 1.25M
  • Ford Escape: (only 1 spec level in 4WD) - 1.28M
  • Honda CR-V: base-spec 4WD - 1.24M, top-spec 1.51M
  • Chev Captiva: base-spec 4WD - 1.58M, top-spec 1.64M
  • Hyudai Tuscon: (only 1 spec level in 4WD) - 1.9M

There's a very broad range of value-for-money represented here..

Note that others in this segment are available in 2WD only, e.g. Suzuki Vitara and Nissan X-Trail.

Budget is the big thing though - if you're willing to quadruple these types of prices there's a lot more cars that come into focus.. As Kata notes, Cayenne Hybrid is a great buy in TH (due to 10% excise tax), Audi Q7 V8 twin-turbo TDi is a nice motor (though aging a litle), and the new Range Rover Evoque an interesting option coming soon as well..

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

Good post by MoonRiver.

Sounds like g00dgirl is talking about a SUV 4X4 would suit her needs.

Check out the Fords, Chevrolets, Isuzu, Toyota, Honda, Mitsubishi Pajero.

A model with part time four wheel drive.

Compare them all for your needs and desires. Unfortunately Jeep's quality and reliability has gone down hill.

Don't just go for one brand because it is popular with local Thai's or cheaper. or because someone bad mouths a certain brand. Check for yourself so you will be well informed.

Prices will range from about 1.1 to 1.5 mil.

Do your research on technology and safety of each.

Think the Ford Escape has a Hybrid model also, but not sure if it is 4X4.

Some other brands may also have Hybrids now.

Edited by KimoMax

Range Land Rover E-wok - I find that vehicle offensive. I'm shocked LR will actually badge it as a Range.

As for the rest, all good options I suppose - but the woman drives an Evo. To then go to a (insert car)zzzzzzzzz would be a shame, and perhaps the fine lady will end up falling asleep behind the wheel of such a bore-fest. Think of the children! I say import a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee. At least it will be different.

And IMO rather than buying new Fortuners, etc., there is always the option of buying a 2nd-hand XC90, Range Rover, Jeep, Audi, etc. that would be just a few more notes and a heck of a lot more interesting. Fine, there is a maintenance issue, but they seem to be maintained just fine for a few Baht. Plenty of nice SUVs in Phuket. You only live once so I'll play devil's advocate. Just sayin'

No offense to MRO and other posters who have suggested otherwise safe bets.

Think the Ford Escape has a Hybrid model also, but not sure if it is 4X4.

Some other brands may also have Hybrids now.

The only hybrid SUV's available in Thailand are the Porshe Cayenne (6.5M) and the Lexus RX450h (6.8M).

At least there's no need for any indecision - you'd rather spend an extra 300K on genuine Porsche accessories than spend it on a Lexus ;)

Range Land Rover E-wok - I find that vehicle offensive. I'm shocked LR will actually badge it as a Range.

As for the rest, all good options I suppose - but the woman drives an Evo. To then go to a (insert car)zzzzzzzzz would be a shame, and perhaps the fine lady will end up falling asleep behind the wheel of such a bore-fest. Think of the children! I say import a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee. At least it will be different.

And IMO rather than buying new Fortuners, etc., there is always the option of buying a 2nd-hand XC90, Range Rover, Jeep, Audi, etc. that would be just a few more notes and a heck of a lot more interesting. Fine, there is a maintenance issue, but they seem to be maintained just fine for a few Baht. Plenty of nice SUVs in Phuket. You only live once so I'll play devil's advocate. Just sayin'

No offense to MRO and other posters who have suggested otherwise safe bets.

Valid point on used options - I always overlook these :D

Many people do, MRO! A well-maintained used car can be a great deal, though... especially the ones on the higher-end.

BTW I like your posts and they are very informative, so I don't mean anything by throwing out other options. I just believe that the OP should consider everything out there jap.gif

There's a few options the OP might want to explore - all are SUV wagons, all have their own pros and cons:

• Mitsu Pajero Sport: base-spec 4WD - 1.15M, top-spec 4WD (ticks all the boxes) - 1.31M
  • Toyota Fortuner: base-spec 4WD - 1.34M, top-spec 1.45M
  • Ford Everest: top-spec 4WD - 1.24M, sport version - 1.25M
  • Ford Escape: (only 1 spec level in 4WD) - 1.28M
  • Honda CR-V: base-spec 4WD - 1.24M, top-spec 1.51M
  • Chev Captiva: base-spec 4WD - 1.58M, top-spec 1.64M
  • Hyudai Tuscon: (only 1 spec level in 4WD) - 1.9M

There's a very broad range of value-for-money represented here..

Note that others in this segment are available in 2WD only, e.g. Suzuki Vitara and Nissan X-Trail.

Budget is the big thing though - if you're willing to quadruple these types of prices there's a lot more cars that come into focus.. As Kata notes, Cayenne Hybrid is a great buy in TH (due to 10% excise tax), Audi Q7 V8 twin-turbo TDi is a nice motor (though aging a litle), and the new Range Rover Evoque an interesting option coming soon as well..

Ssangyong Korando would be an option too....

The Range Rover T.D.4.4 V8s not bad on fuel,it does 30 ish to the gallon,and 310 Bhp on tap, i see a Lady in the Discovery/Freelander, not sure what it s realy called, its diesell, she says its" LURLY TING", i must say so is She..I like Women Drivers, they see Cars from a practical point of view first and foremost,not as a Penis Extetion as some Males do..When i dont have a Works Car , for where i live a Honda City would be my choise.If not for Tax id love a Volvo.When i hear Captiva, i think Daewoo, true silly Male. I bet the Good Girl never wished she asked,im confused now.!!:blink:

Ssangyong Korando would be an option too....

You're right - it fits the mold and the price.

But unfortunately it's rivalled only by brands like Peugeot, Renault, Saab, Skoda, Lada and Range Rover when it comes to a complete lack of warranty service centers. Get stuck upcountry with a blown whatever in any of these, and you're pretty much borked. And for that reason, cannot be recommended as a new purchase. Buying them used is fine however, because then you're paying way less for them, and relying on the local spanner anyway ;)

.When i hear Captiva, i think Daewoo, true silly Male. I bet the Good Girl never wished she asked,im confused now.!!:blink:

Every time I cross an Aveo, Cruze or Captiva I *see* a Daewoo as well as hear it - so I guess you're lucky :)

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

Have only checked the Ford SUV safety specs for the Escape and Everest.

Both available in White colour.

Dual front air bags with side curtain air bags available in top line models of both in 4x2 and 4x4 versions. (Note to have 4 wheel drive is a personal choice, and required driving in certain off road terrain).

About 1.2 miI

I am not advocating any make or model. Up to an idnvidual to decide what is best for them.

I have had Toyota's, Fords, Honda's, and currently have an Isuzu D Max 4 door 3.0 A/T with a crapy Kenwood GPS/Stereo system that is so complicated to use and slow. 845,000 out the door. Super Duper Extra Platinum (they change models like I change my socks), (Better to get a nice GPS after market).

Edited by KimoMax

Have only checked the Ford SUV safety specs for the Escape and Everest.

Dual front air bags with side curtain air bags available in top line models of both in 4x2 and 4x4 versions. (Note to have 4 wheel drive is a personal choice, and required driving in certain off road terrain).

About 1.2 mil

The really hot deals for these haven't yet emerged, but should be on their way soon...

Note that both Ford models get all-new replacements in early 2012 - both of which are major leaps above the current products, in terms of, well, everything ;)

So automatic Park Assist and other goodies available in the US on Escape and the Chevy Cruze may come to Thailand soon?

Wonder how the locals would get along with parking "wherever" and trying to use the park assist feature.......:cheesy:

Edited by KimoMax

I think almost all of the vehicles suggested are as hard or harder to park than a VIGO which she said is too hard to park. I suggest a Nissan Wingroad with Queen cab. Easy to park and lots of room for shopping but not so good onm long trips and not 4 wheel drive.rolleyes.gif

I think almost all of the vehicles suggested are as hard or harder to park than a VIGO which she said is too hard to park. I suggest a Nissan Wingroad with Queen cab. Easy to park and lots of room for shopping but not so good onm long trips and not 4 wheel drive.rolleyes.gif

Fortuner with 30 cm shorter wheelbase and 45 cm shorter overall length is much easier to park than Vigo. as is Pajero Sport.

Don't know the other makes dimensions, but here are spec dimensions for Escape and Everest

Side note to g00dgirl: both models have Cruise and tilt

Dimensions & WeightEscape 2.3L 4x2 XLSNew Escape 2.3L 4x2 XLT+New Escape 2.3L 4x4 XLT+Overall Width (mm.) 184518451845Overall Length (mm.) 448044804480Overall Height (mm.) 177017701770Wheelbase (mm.) 262026202620Front Track / Rear Track (mm.) 1545/15351545/15351545/1535Ground Clearance (mm.) 200200200Approach Angle (Degree) 28.528.528.5Depart Angle (Degree) 303030Overall Weight (kg.) 149715151579Dimensions & WeightEverest 2.5L 4X2 XLTEverest 2.5L 4X2 XLT ATEverest 2.5L 4x2 LTD NAVI ATEverest 3.0L 4x4 LTD NAVI ATOverall Width (mm.) 1788178817881788Overall Length with spare wheel cover (mm.) 5062506250625062Overall Height (mm.) 1826182618261826Wheelbase (mm.) 2860286028602860Front Track / Rear Track (mm.) 1475 / 14701475 / 14701575 / 15701575 / 1570Approach Angle (Degree) 32323232Depart Angle (Degree) 26262626Ground Clearance (mm.) 207207207207Kerb Weight (kg.) 1895199219922026

Fortuner is longer over all and longer wheelbase than the Escape.

Fortuner length is 4,695, wheelbase is 2,750

Escape length is 4,480, wheelbase is 2,620

Edited by KimoMax

So automatic Park Assist and other goodies available in the US on Escape and the Chevy Cruze may come to Thailand soon?

Yes, the top-spec 2011 Ranger will also feature such niceties. Features like this will become much more prevalant in the Amercian brands (Ford and Chev) in the not too distant future - both are working towards establishing themselves as leaders in tech in the TH market..

I think almost all of the vehicles suggested are as hard or harder to park than a VIGO which she said is too hard to park.

Here's a quick comparsion:

Width: VIGO 4-door - 1835mm, Pajero Sport - 1815mm

Length: VIGO 4-door - 5355mm, Pajero Sport - 4695mm

Turning radius: VIGO 4-door - 5.90m , Pajero Sport 5.60m

Width: Accord - 1845mm, Pajero Sport - 1815mm

Length: Accord - 4945mm, Pajero Sport - 4695mm

Turning radius: Accord - 5.64m , Pajero Sport 5.60m

Width: Civic - 1750mm, Pajero Sport - 1815mm

Length: Civic - 4550mm, Pajero Sport - 4695mm

Turning radius: Civic - 5.80m , Pajero Sport 5.60m

Fortuner is similar to Pajero Sport.

These SUV's (PPV's) just look big and unwieldy, they're not though. Great city cars IMHO - elevated seating position gives great visibility (it;s hard to be a "good driver" if you can't see), comfy seating for 7 (last two need to be kids or Thai's though), higher stance offers greater side impact protection with red light runners, diesel engines cheap to run - especially when stuck in a traffic jam, great sound insulation (required to drown out the diesel) blocks out traffic noise, etc.

It feels a bit like "myth busters" day ;)

Edited by MoonRiverOasis