Qantas Boeing 747 Stranded At Suvarnabhumi After Mid-Air Engine Shut Down

webfact

Question; they use Jet fuel if i remember or some kind of kerosene who doesn't freeze ,the price of that type of fuel is not subject to international price like crude oil ? so where is the problem by filing the thank say with 20% more fore safety ,full the tank in London Bangkok or Sydney What is the difference if the price is about the same ? Probably the weight.

how many liter hours they use on high altitude on 4 engines? On ship we use a day thank reserve we never declare in case of..no fuel on Bord but always full day tank .I know is more touchy on plane but explanation please...Bob

I remember flying on a KLM aircraft 10 years ago from Holland to Bangkok and only two of it's engines were running. The plane was delayed two hours for mechanical reasons then someone somewhere decided that it was safe to fly without fixing the problem.

The supposedly 11 hour journey took 14 hours and the plane could not fly higher than 24,000 feet which meant that it was turbulent for almost the entire journey and one man appeared to have a severe panic attack laying on the floor and chocking. Related or not, the pilot also took two attempts to land at Don Muang which was scary as we had already been told half way through the flight about the abnormalities.

The airplane body has nothing to do with it its the engines Rolls Royce seem to be going thru a bad patch. The airplanes have been airbus and now a boing.

Good old English quality fly 1 hour, 10 hours in the shop.

What a stupid thing to say. The Airbus engines were relatively new, this 747 would have been years old with many engine changes since new.

From what I understand, GE makes Boeing 747 engines and Rolls Royce makes Air Bus engines...I prefer to ride the 777 for long haul trips (Dallas/BKK) and don't like 747's at all, but the 747 is the workhorse long haul airplane with so many still in use and Boeing is still making them.cool.gif

From what I understand, GE makes Boeing 747 engines and Rolls Royce makes Air Bus engines.

In general, both make both, though sometimes as part of consortiums. Airlines apparently demand that they have a choice of engine manufacturer.

Qantas 747s seem to be going through a rough patch with their engines -- about 2 weeks ago a Sydney - Singapore QF flight had an engine shut-down over Bali, but the crew decided to carry on to Singapore as it was only 2 hours to go.

It seems to me that good old Qantas Air lines is having big problems. I personally think that maybe their inspection procedures need to be revised? With proper inspections they should be able to find any and ALMOST all possible problems before something happens.

Qantas contracts their engine support from RR. Qantas doesn't work on the engines. It's a lease per hour arrangement, Qantas doesn't even own the engines.

The A-380 engine failure was the result of a manufacturing defect in an oil tube at the factory. Several engines on several airlines A380s had replacement engines installed (while the bad ones were repaired). While it is unusual for the string Qantas is having, engine issues do happen from time to time to almost, if not all, airlines.

nope I don't know ........sorry ...

i thought Payboy knows cos' he knew 4=Engines.

so the first 7 and the last 7 i also thought he knows..

Also, ask me about the meaning of life, or the chicken and egg quesiton. :lol:

The airplane body has nothing to do with it its the engines Rolls Royce seem to be going thru a bad patch. The airplanes have been airbus and now a boing.

Good old English quality fly 1 hour, 10 hours in the shop.

What a stupid thing to say. The Airbus engines were relatively new, this 747 would have been years old with many engine changes since new.

From what I understand, GE makes Boeing 747 engines and Rolls Royce makes Air Bus engines...I prefer to ride the 777 for long haul trips (Dallas/BKK) and don't like 747's at all, but the 747 is the workhorse long haul airplane with so many still in use and Boeing is still making them.cool.gif

RR engines are designed are the not to fit most Aircraft. I may be wrong BUT I have traveled in a jumbo-747 WITH R.R. engines. Airlines have a choice of what engine they prefer. So what your saying is R.R. have never provided an engine for the 747 since it's first one took off ?????? and R.R. went into business when airbus was formed :lol:

i knew my genius pal has heaps of knowledge. just being modest...

:D

I frequently fly between Australia and New Zealand (My Birthplace) and have always tried to avoid Qantas as much as possible. Apart from rude staff and dirty planes they are sometimes the cheapest.

I understand from local newspaper reports in Melbourne that Qantas now have their planes serviced in Singapore to world standards. so why all the problems with them lately?

I will stay with Emirates until further notice.

I agree with the rude service comment. It's not confined to Qantas however. It's quite common throughout the country.

i knew my genius pal has heaps of knowledge. just being modest...

:D

It's come to # 132, but finally you've got it right. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

if so Qantas is following the same track as Ansett?

Hey-did anyone see on world news yesterday, Qantas jumbo passengers stranded in Aussie, passengers were being put on other flights--cause55555 :lol::lol::lol:a rats nest -with babies was discovered in a luggage (cabin I think) compartment. a snake here and there but a rats nest--do they have inspections or cleaners on board. I'm not Aussie bashing but thought it was interesting

• 8 years later...

QANTAS has been the worlds  safest airline for decades and will likely continue so.

If this incident happened on another carrier it probably won't of been reported or pop up on the media grid.

The media and flying public loves sticking it to QF.

Any issue with QF is newsworthy.

If it happened to Aeroflot ,Air India or Boganair the media wouldn't give a toss.

Edited by Lucius verus

On 8/9/2019 at 2:56 PM, elcaro said:

Haha absolutely hilarious reply after waiting 8 years. How did it even pop on your media grid @Lucius verus

I don't know why but again and again age old threads appear in the new content list.

Recently posted to a 9 year old one.

• Like 1