Qantas Boeing 747 Stranded At Suvarnabhumi After Mid-Air Engine Shut Down

webfact

Qantas flight in mid-air engine shut down

post-327-0-50266800-1305865490_thumb.jpg

A Qantas 747 jet was forced to shut down one engine mid-flight Friday

(AFP/File, Greg Wood)

SYDNEY — A Qantas jet was stranded in Bangkok Friday after crew were forced to shut down one engine, the latest headache for an airline troubled by rising costs and the threat of strikes.

The Boeing 747 carrying 308 passengers had been bound for London, but turned back to the Thai capital shortly after take-off after pilots shut down one of its four engines due to "an increase in vibration and high temperatures".

"The pilots shut down this engine and as a precaution returned to Bangkok," a Qantas spokesman said.

"The aircraft can safely fly on three engines and it had a normal landing in Bangkok not long afterwards.

"We believe the cause is similar to events that other airlines are experiencing and is subject to an increased monitoring program from the manufacturer Rolls Royce."

The incident comes as Qantas faces strike action by some of its employees, including pilots, at the same time as it grapples with high fuel prices and a non-performing international business.

Qantas pilots said Friday the airline was pressuring them to take on less fuel to help save costs, amid an industry belief that long-held fuel allocation ratios should be lowered given improved accuracy in weather and traffic forecasts.

Captain Richard Woodward, vice president of the Australian and International Pilots Association, told ABC radio that Qantas printed out a chart for its pilots showing how much fuel they ordered and how much they landed with.

Woodward said there was a "subtle pressure to make sure that you only carry the minimum necessary."

"They certainly say to us they would prefer not to carry extra fuel because it's outrageously expensive," he added.

On Tuesday a Melbourne-bound flight from Singapore to Melbourne was diverted to Adelaide after crew discovered the Airbus A380 running low on fuel. The plane is thought to have burned more fuel than expected due to bad weather.

Qantas rejected the claim, saying captains were responsible for their fuel order and the airline did not attempt to influence that decision in any way.

"All Qantas flights operate with appropriate fuel based on extremely detailed flight planning and forecast flying conditions," the spokesman said, adding that pilots were encouraged to closely monitor "discretionary fuel uplift".

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2011-05-20

Once again shoddy reporting. The issue of fuel economy and a mid-air engine 'incident' are not related. Why conflate the issues? Now if Qantas are found to be taking short-cuts on maintenance well that is a more serious issue though given their impeccable safety record I suspect not.

Actually, I think the point was this was the second incident for Qantas.

I am just surprised they didn't list all the Qantas incidents in the past few years as that seems to be the usual in airline stories

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-11-08/qantas-halo-slips-after-engine-blowout-ground-a380s.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/26/world/asia/26qantas.html

This attitude is more like that which we would expect from a budget airline, not a flagship carrier.

I flew with Qantas last month to London - despite some misgivings based on previous experience flying with them, and I have to say I was very impressed with the service, it was certainly not "budget attitude".

The airplane body has nothing to do with it its the engines Rolls Royce seem to be going thru a bad patch. The airplanes have been airbus and now a boing.

Good old English quality fly 1 hour, 10 hours in the shop.

Edited by moe666
  • Confused 1

As an Australian,who has always flown with Qantas (frequent flyer) i can only say, i feel very safe with them, the service is great,movies too , just wondering,are they still Australian owned?

Qantas 747s seem to be going through a rough patch with their engines -- about 2 weeks ago a Sydney - Singapore QF flight had an engine shut-down over Bali, but the crew decided to carry on to Singapore as it was only 2 hours to go.

May I suggest to the FAA an urgent security audit of Qantas Airline before their africanization is complete.

This attitude is more like that which we would expect from a budget airline, not a flagship carrier.

What attitude is that?

Have a bunch of crashes as Thai have done and then claim not to have had any.

As a shareholder in QANTAS you want me to suggest that they have a few crashs, kill a few people ??

Plus it is not Qantas but QANTAS.

"running low on fuel"

dam_n ! how cheap can u be ?

note to self ; continue NOT to fly QA

"They certainly say to us they would prefer not to carry extra fuel because it's outrageously expensive," he added.

Maybe just enough fuel to take off? :jap:

Qantas 747s seem to be going through a rough patch with their engines -- about 2 weeks ago a Sydney - Singapore QF flight had an engine shut-down over Bali, but the crew decided to carry on to Singapore as it was only 2 hours to go.

Thanks for telling and I will urge everyone to be careful about 747 Airplanes. I recalled when I took 747 China Airline back to US in 1975, it flew so smooth and now 36 years later 747 airplanes needs to replace and I see no one does anything yet? Help? and explain to me please. The week before I heard the New airplane that carried 535 passengers came to San Francisco but, I was too busy to visit the Airport. Hope to see it in service soon. I will report to you all...

What attitude is that?

Have a bunch of crashes as Thai have done and then claim not to have had any.

As a shareholder in QANTAS you want me to suggest that they have a few crashs, kill a few people ??

This whole perception of QANTAS having an impeccible safety record is nonsense. At Don Meuang QA buried a 747 into the runway many years ago, and spent another 2 years rebuilding the plane so as to maintan their "we never crashed" claim. The cost of rebuilding that aircraft would have bought 2 new ones. When I was in Aus about 12 yrs ago, a QA aircraft awaiting takeoff had one of it's engines fall off on the tarmac. Actually fall off!! Minutes from a catastrophe.....so spare us the safty diatribe, it is only a matter of time before your Golden B4lls airline has a proper disaster , mate

had

May I suggest to the FAA an urgent security audit of Qantas Airline before their africanization is complete.

let's do it my friend and FAA will investigate if they get a report. It is about time we all need to be informed no matter Airlines. Public Safety is the key and none of them can not get away from FAA. Recently, Southwest Airline had a hole in the middle of the plane that prompted an emergency landing. Within 4 days FAA grounded 375 South West Airplanes in the United States. I recalled many passengers missed their flights left and right. But, FAA did the right thing and it was an example for any Airline that violates the FAA rules. The FAA team will not tolerate and they will shut any Airline down at no time....my take and opinion.

Anyone remember the Quantas 747 that had a collapsed nose wheel at Don Meung? They left it at the end of the runnway for weeks; talk about bad advertising!

As far as I can see Quantas has had alot of near misses when it comes to a fatal accident. I am not comfortable about flying with them. Maybe its offshoring their maintenance to neighboring countries in Asia?

Let's do it my friend, and I am sure every airline has to update its product. Anyone reports to FAA the agency will not hesitate to shut any Airline down. Last month Southwest Airline flew with a hole in the middle of the plane. FAA grounded 375 planes almost 5 days, 535 flights had to cancel and many people missed the flights left and right. My family and I will not fly for a while. Our next trip to LA will be 8 hours by car instead of 1 hour fly from South West Airline. I feel better already.

Edited by ryladie99

The airplane body has nothing to do with it its the engines Rolls Royce seem to be going thru a bad patch. The airplanes have been airbus and now a boing.

Good old English quality fly 1 hour, 10 hours in the shop.

What a stupid thing to say. The Airbus engines were relatively new, this 747 would have been years old with many engine changes since new.

On what grounds would the FAA, a US government agency, audit Qantas, an Australian-registered airline? The FAA would have jurisdiction to investigate an incident that took place in US-controlled airspace or on the ground in the US, but this incident appears to have taken place in Thai airspace. If there were more general safety concerns with the airline, they would be investigated by the issuer of their Air Operator's Certificate --- the Civil Aviation Safety Authority in Australia.

Does Qantas know that? These are direct quotes from its own website -

"Imagine travelling in your own private Qantas 747 to explore the great icons of Asia and Africa"

"Qantas are now the only airline to fly directly from Australia to a United States port beyond the West Coast"

"Qantas Classic Award flights to various domestic destinations"

"+Indicates Qantas Frequent Flyer points apply"

Thanks for telling and I will urge everyone to be careful about 747 Airplanes. I recalled when I took 747 China Airline back to US in 1975, it flew so smooth and now 36 years later 747 airplanes needs to replace and I see no one does anything yet? Help? and explain to me please. The week before I heard the New airplane that carried 535 passengers came to San Francisco but, I was too busy to visit the Airport. Hope to see it in service soon. I will report to you all...

Well, since this was a problem with the Rolls Royce engine, I am not sure why you are complaining about the 747.

Once again shoddy reporting. The issue of fuel economy and a mid-air engine 'incident' are not related. Why conflate the issues? Now if Qantas are found to be taking short-cuts on maintenance well that is a more serious issue though given their impeccable safety record I suspect not.

Thank you so much for your clarification. To me The Nation is just another fish rapper. Now I am waiting to get warned! The subject is not a fish rapper. Like it or not it is!

Edited by hardy1943