Snake Fell Out Of A Tree

garycm

Chrysopelea is also known under its assigned common name "flying snake". It glides by using its ridge scales along its belly,[7] pushing against rough bark surface of tree trunks, allowing it to move vertically up a tree. Upon reaching the end of a tree's branch, the snake continues moving until its tail dangles from the branch's end. It then makes a J-shape bend,[7] leans forward to select the level of inclination it wishes to travel to control its flight path, as well as selecting a desired landing area. Once it decides on a destination, it propels itself by thrusting its body up and away from the tree, sucking in its stomach, flaring out its ribs to turn its body in a "pseudo concave wing"[8] all the while making a continual serpentine motion of lateral undulation[9] parallel to the ground[10] to stabilise its direction in midair in order to land safely.[11]

The combination of sucking in its stomach and making a motion of lateral undulation in the air makes it possible for the snake to glide in the air, where it also manages to save energy compared to travel on the ground and dodge terrestrial bounded predators.[7] The concave wing that a snake creates in sucking its stomach, flattens its body to up to twice its width from back of the head to the anal vent, which is close to the end of the snake's tail, causes the cross section of the snake's body to resemble the cross section of a frisbee or flying disc.[10] When a flying disc spins in the air, the designed cross sectional concavity causes increased air pressure under the centre of the disc, causing lift for the disc to fly.[12] A snake continuously moves in lateral undulation to create the same effect of increased air pressure underneath its arched body to glide.[10] Flying snakes are able to glide better than flying squirrels and other gliding animals, despite the lack of limbs, wings, or any other wing-like projections, gliding through the forest and jungle it inhabits with the distance being as great as 100 m.[10][13] Their destination is mostly predicted by ballistics; however, they can exercise some in-flight attitude control by "slithering" in the air.[1]

It shouldn't fall?! Maybe it was already have other troubles?

We have spotted these several times during our many visits to Obkhan park, and we are on the look out as it would be wonderful to see one glide. They appear to be an active snake, making them wonderful to find and watch.

I had one of the Golden Tree Snakes living in my car and didn't know it! It bailed out one day while at the car wash and scared the s**t out of the staff that had just driven it over to the drying area. I understood they were mildly poisonous.

They do sometimes fall. Yours truly was in the garden a few years back and a snake tried to do a glide across from one tree to the other. I think he misjudged a twig as a branch. It didn't hold his weight and he missed my head by a foot or so and plopped onto the ground. Then he slid off to try again.

Unfortunately this year the snake population not having such a good time as we have adopted "psycho cat" . Amongst his other weird skills he thinks of nothing more exciting than stalking and catching the odd snake and having it for lunch. :blink:

I had one crawl into my hotel suite... and I'm on the third floor! It got up on my balcony and came in the open door when the screen wasn't in place. I had to chase it around the room before I caught it and took it outside. It scared the bejeezus out of the room maid when I carried it down the stairs and put it in the nearby klong.

it's a beautiful and harmless Golden Tree Snake

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Chrysopelea

They have one in a tank at CM Zoo too...

David

Now I feel bad.post-4641-1156693976.gif

Don't feel bad about it as this afternoon l killed a cobra inside my house. This is the 2nd time in 3 months that l have had to do this. Better safe than sorry is my motto. I would say that snakes are on the increase because of all the rain

A plumpish brown coloured snake about 2.5 ft slithered over one of my feet in the jungle this morning. I have no idea what it was or whether it was harmless or not, but i froze to resemble stone until the bloody thing had glided under the adjacent foliage!

It looks as if snakes are like worms in that they seem to come into view after a good rain. Will probably tread more cautiously until things dry up a tad :blink: Heck, i hope it doesn't start raining snakes in that there forest, or I, and others, shall be in trouble!!!

Aitch

A plumpish brown coloured snake about 2.5 ft slithered over one of my feet in the jungle this morning. I have no idea what it was or whether it was harmless or not, but i froze to resemble stone until the bloody thing had glided under the adjacent foliage!

It looks as if snakes are like worms in that they seem to come into view after a good rain. Will probably tread more cautiously until things dry up a tad :blink: Heck, i hope it doesn't start raining snakes in that there forest, or I, and others, shall be in trouble!!!

Aitch

I would be wary of all fat bodied snakes. Very often they are vipers with a nasty bite. But, most snakes are frightened of humans and will try to escape if possible. King cobras are an exception. They are not afraid, but will leave you alone if you leave them alone.

I had one crawl into my hotel suite... and I'm on the third floor! It got up on my balcony and came in the open door when the screen wasn't in place. I had to chase it around the room before I caught it and took it outside. It scared the bejeezus out of the room maid when I carried it down the stairs and put it in the nearby klong.

Was this a kind act of mercy or a cold-blooded killing?

I hope it could swim.

Was this a kind act of mercy or a cold-blooded killing?

I hope it could swim.

All snakes can swim and the klong was the nearest bit of wild property for the snake to escape. I just dropped it next to the klong and it swam away.