Broken Clavicle

jackcorbett

Three days ago I broke my clavicle when I drove a motorbike from Pattaya to Rayong. Went to the hospital in Rayong where I got this xray taken. Doctor told me I had two choices...a sling or surgery. Today went to BPH where I saw Dr Dumronk Thanachanant. This is 8 minutes from my condo. The Doc said it was a big break. When I mentioned a German doctor who is a friend of a German friend of mine who is urging a 2nd opinion and most likely surgery, he said Europeans usually opt for surgery. (hinting Americans do not. Anyway---Have an appointment with Dr. Thanachanant for May 28th after he told me he goes to Baum----- on Friday May 27. He said if I had an operation the meshing of bones would be much more even. Other than that he seemed to favor the sling over an operation. Meanwhile my nephew who is an emergency room RN in the US has consulted two American doctors who tell him the non operative route is the much favored treatment. Wikipedia states in90-95 % of the cases, there is no operation. An American friend my age ---64 had a broken clavicle. He urges no operation. Two German residents in my building are of the same opinion one of them telling me m[uch can go wrong with an operation Meanwhile my friend who has the german doctor friend is urging me to go for yet a 3rd opinion at the number one hospital in Bangkok.

I can well tolerate the pain. But Im wondering what to do. I have a lot of confidence in Bangkok Pattaya Hospital and have been operated on there twice. At least two of my fellow condo residents have the same level of confidence in BPH as I do. My initial impression of Dr. 'Dumronk Thanachanant is very favorable He seems to be taking the attitude..."It's up to you but I for one am in no hurry to operate.

post-48602-0-47941800-1305886466_thumb.j

Looking at the x-ray it looks like surgery is needed to remove a table. :D

I had a friend who I played racquetball with regularly who ran into the wall going after a shot. We could hear the 'crack' and him slowly sliding down the wall to sit. Anyway, the doctor (US) also recommended a sling for him and it worked out for him ok. Not the first time at the university that someone broke a clavicle playing racquetball. Seemed the sling was the main corrective mechanism for them also.

The comment 'big break' though may make a difference.

As a teenager many years ago in the days before MRIs for ingrown toenails, I fell and injured this bone. My family doctor examined me but he did not x-ray it. He said that the treatment was the same whether it was broken or not - a sling for six weeks.

Non-surgical approach is usual.

I would give more weight to the recommendation of 2 doctors who actually examined you than to what a friend says a doctor he knows says.

I assume in the meantime that you are currently in a sling, and that a repeat Xray will be done on your next visit to see if the sling is doing the job of holding the bone in a good alignment.