End of the world prediction fails to deliver as clocks hit 6 p.m.

News_Editor

2011-05-21 12:56:41 GMT+7 (ICT)

NEW YORK (BNO NEWS) -- A prediction made by a Christian radio host that the Rapture would begin on Saturday evening failed to deliver as clocks hit 6 p.m. in parts of the Pacific Ocean.

The claims by Harold Camping, 89, gained worldwide media attention in recent days as a number of his followers were reported to have quit their jobs and abandoned their families to warn the world about the end of the world. Billboards and flyers about the end could be seen in some parts of the world.

According to Camping's prediction, a massive earthquake was supposed to start in the Pacific Rim at 6 p.m. local time in each timezone. "There will be a great earthquake, such as has never been in the history of the Earth," he said.

Camping said the massive earthquakes, which he described as the Rapture, would take approximately 3 percent of the world's population to heaven. This would represent around 200 million people, who Camping says are true believers.

The radio host defended his prediction in his book "Time Has an End" by calculating May 21 as being exactly 7,000 years from the date of Noah's Ark flood. "The year 391 B.C. is the year when the Old Testament was finished, and 2,011 + 391 - 1 = 2,401, or 7 x 7 x 7 x 7," he said.

But May 21st was not supposed to be the end, according to Camping, who said those left behind would suffer five months of disasters and war before the world really ends on October 21.

But despite the prediction, no earthquake activity was reported near the Pacific Ocean atoll of Kiritimati as clocks hit 6 p.m. in its timezone. Six p.m. also passed uneventful in the Chatham Islands, a New Zealand territory, and Fiji.

In New York, police said they were not concerned whether or not the prediction would come true. "We don't plan any additional coverage for the end of the world. Indeed, if it happens, fewer officers will be required for streets that presumably will be empty," the New York Police Department said in a statement.

But the Rapture could also have benefits for the city, as pointed out by Mayor Michael Bloomberg. "If the world ends tomorrow, it would fix our traffic problem," he said on his radio show. "But the world cannot end tomorrow, and you know why? It can't end until at least until we won the next championship again. So we've got a long time to go."

Bloomberg added: "If the world ends tomorrow, I don't think you have to worry about returning library books, parking tickets. Well, actually, I can just tell you this: Official policy, from the Sanitation Department and the Department of Transportation, if it does end tomorrow, alternate side parking will be suspended although I think alternate side parking will take on a while different meaning, actually."

Camping previously also claimed that the world would end in September 1994.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-05-21

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its only 10pm Friday night May 20th here in Hawaii right now, who's the moron that wrote this article ?

The current time is 4am May 21st New York time when I'm writing this.

Its only 10pm Friday night May 20th here in Hawaii right now, who's the moron that wrote this article ?

What part of "6 p.m. local time in each time zone" did you not understand?

The radio host defended his prediction in his book "Time Has an End" by calculating May 21 as being exactly 7,000 years from the date of Noah's Ark flood. "The year 391 B.C. is the year when the Old Testament was finished, and 2,011 + 391 - 1 = 2,401, or 7 x 7 x 7 x 7," he said.

My wife had just told me that one rice sack at her village fell on a buffalo. The king of the buffaloes then decided that this time should have an end.

P.S. The King of the buffaloes from the lower northeast was sitting in Noah's Ark when it sank. :jap:

I expect 200 million people have flooded the world's hospital casualty departments complaining of ruptures. :jap:

But the Rapture could also have benefits for the city, as pointed out by Mayor Michael Bloomberg. "If the world ends tomorrow, it would fix our traffic problem,"

Nicely said.

There was a almost identical failure in the US in 1844, when a Christian sect called the Millerites predicted the end of the world (but only after they had been transported to Heaven). It didn't happen (obviously) and the affair became known as the Great Disappointment..

Thereafter, the Millerites were laughed at by almost everybody

"Some are tauntingly enquiring, 'Have you not gone up?' Even little children in the streets are shouting continually to passersby, 'Have you a ticket to go up?' The public prints, of the most fashionable and popular kind…are caricaturing in the most shameful manner of the 'white robes of the saints,

We haven't gone very far in 167 years, it seems. The next end of the world happens on Dec 21 next year, when the Mayan calendar runs out.

Here's how to deal with these people:

Meanwhile, a canny atheist is offering a "post-doomsday" service for Christians worried about their pets. The unnamed businessman is charging believers £83 to look after their cats and dogs after doomsday. He said: "They will be disappointed twice - once because they weren't raptured and again because I don't do refunds."

Details of these Mayan nutjobs here. Set your calendar -- you wouldn't want to miss the end of the world (again).

I expect 200 million people have flooded the world's hospital casualty departments complaining of ruptures. :jap:

In New York, police said they were not concerned whether or not the prediction would come true. "We don't plan any additional coverage for the end of the world. Indeed, if it happens, fewer officers will be required for streets that presumably will be empty," the New York Police Department said in a statement.

No more cops? I can't stop laughing.......oh my god.. was the earth shaking now? What would Nostradamus think? :jap:

There was a almost identical failure in the US in 1844, when a Christian sect called the Millerites predicted the end of the world (but only after they had been transported to Heaven). It didn't happen (obviously) and the affair became known as the Great Disappointment..

Thereafter, the Millerites were laughed at by almost everybody

"Some are tauntingly enquiring, 'Have you not gone up?' Even little children in the streets are shouting continually to passersby, 'Have you a ticket to go up?' The public prints, of the most fashionable and popular kind…are caricaturing in the most shameful manner of the 'white robes of the saints,

We haven't gone very far in 167 years, it seems. The next end of the world happens on Dec 21 next year, when the Mayan calendar runs out.

Here's how to deal with these people:

Meanwhile, a canny atheist is offering a "post-doomsday" service for Christians worried about their pets. The unnamed businessman is charging believers £83 to look after their cats and dogs after doomsday. He said: "They will be disappointed twice - once because they weren't raptured and again because I don't do refunds."

Details of these Mayan nutjobs here. Set your calendar -- you wouldn't want to miss the end of the world (again).

Except that: (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maya_calendar)

Misinterpretation of the Mesoamerican Long Count calendar is the basis for a New Age belief that a cataclysm will take place on December 21, 2012. December 21, 2012 is simply the day that the calendar will go to the next b'ak'tun.
Edited by whybother

Go easy on him, not his fault he's american.

Actually the truth is that it really happened. The earthquake was so powerful that we all died very quick without time to notice it.

We all in hell now. Looks familiar to me.

Edited by samurai

Go easy on him, not his fault he's american.

laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

And I was all packed and ready to go. Oh well, I'll unpack and put the suitcases away until the next judgment day....seems to be no shortage of judgment day predictions. Maybe for the next judgment day prediction it should include a chance of happenning....like a 60% chance of rain today.

Edited by Pib

Actually, that will happen on 11/11/11

Do you need a proof?

OK...

Take the last two numbers of the year you were born and add the age that you will reach this year , the sum will be -for all of us-: "111"

(i.e.: I was born in '65 and I am 46... 65+46= 111)

B)

Actually, that will happen on 11/11/11

Do you need a proof?

OK...

Take the last two numbers of the year you were born and add the age that you will reach this year , the sum will be -for all of us-: "111"

(i.e.: I was born in '65 and I am 46... 65+46= 111)

B)

No. 11.11 11 o'clock 11 minutes ist every year the beginning of german carnaval.

Advise from my spiritual teacher: The best method to check the competence of a future teller is to ask him if he knows the month and the year he will pass away. (Not the day, the hour, the minute to not overwhelm him)