Three Iranians Detained For Smuggling Crystal Methamphetamine

Lite Beer

Three Iranians detained for smuggling crystal methamphetamine at Suvarnabhumi Airport

BANGKOK, May 22 - Three Iranians were detained at Suvarnabhumi Airport for allegedly smuggling crystal methamphetamine or 'ice' weighing 5.2 kilogrammes altogether and worth more than 15 million baht (US $ 500,000).

Mr Farshad lashgari, Mr Mehrad Ghorbani and Mr Abbas Mahtab were arrested at Suvarnabhumi Airport with 2.66 kilogrammes, 1.39 kilogrammes and 1.21 kilogrammes of ice respectively.

They allegedly smuggled the drug from Syria to deliver to some customers in Thailand and neighbouring countries.

The packages of the illegal drug were hidden in a specially-made compartment of each rucksack belonging to the suspects.

The trio confessed that they were hired $ 2,300 each to smuggle the "ice" and they did not know each other before.

An initial investigation found the three Iranians were hired by the same drug syndicate and they were also found travelling in and out neighbouring countries of Thailand several times.

The three men were initially charged with possessing illicit drugs for sale and illegally smuggling it into the kingdom. (MCOT online news).

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2011-05-22

We keep reading about the constant succession of drug busts at the airport but I have never seen an account of a trial or a record of the punishments they receive.

You would think that publicizing the trials and punishments of these individuals would be an essential part of maintaining the deterant that strict drug laws are all about.

I sometimes wonder if the Thais conveniently and quietly ship them off to their home countries, saving themselves the political fallout and financial burden of imprisoning so many.

We keep reading about the constant succession of drug busts at the airport but I have never seen an account of a trial or a record of the punishments they receive.

You would think that publicizing the trials and punishments of these individuals would be an essential part of maintaining the deterant that strict drug laws are all about.

I sometimes wonder if the Thais conveniently and quietly ship them off to their home countries, saving themselves the political fallout and financial burden of imprisoning so many.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Australians_imprisoned_or_executed_abroad#Thailand

The Aussies arrested in Thailand for heroin trafficking seemed to get about 12 years in prison. Malaysia tended to execute the Australians charged with that same crime. Indonesia seemed to issue life in prison or execution.

"There are 708 prisoners condemned to death in Thailand, two have been executed during the last eight years. The tendency is that death sentences are being commuted to life imprisonment by Appeal Courts."

So I guess a 10-15 year prison sentence is quite likely.

It seems that way, but the problem is, that it can take anything from 1 to 4 years or more to come to trial here, depending on "political pressure" and as to how severe the case is deemed.....The court system is simply over-whelmed.

I might be wrong but i'm sure crystal methamphetamine (ice), can be cooked up from house hold products.

If this is the case, then why do they keep getting caught trying to smuggle this poison in?

They should all have there hands cut off and sent back to where they come from. Might make people think twice.

I have been to lots of drug lectures and have seen the damage this drug does. Very adictive and also is one of the worst drugs. Not saying any are better, so don't miss quote me.

So I guess a 10-15 year prison sentence is quite likely.

Are you joking 10-15 years? Mate these guys will get life period.

I know people in prison that 10 years for a handful of ecstasy.

Anyone with anything to do with drugs in Thailand needs to step back and think. The penalties are severe....

I find it funny the Thai police are getting so many drug busts, given they have no drug dogs in all the 15 years I've traveled here.

I know they have foreign advisers on contract to aid them, but again I find it unlikely their scanners are picking this stuff up regularly.

Sounds more like the old misdirection game. You send out 10 mules, call in an anonymous tip on 1-2 and the other 8 get thru.....like the article says, these guys have been muling for a while so it was probably time for the syndicate to get rid of them.

Stooges. First for being Iranian, second for not having the brains to cook it here, oh wait, refer to number one.

How easy is it to come across the Mekong with this BS. Like I said, morons....I mean stooges...

Smuggling is a crime and lots of people commit crimes when they are desperate, including Iranians. You need to check yourself. Your comment generalizing Iranians indicates you have a racist bent, and you probably listen to the media too much. All the Iranians I have known have been well educated, smart and compassionate people trying to survive in a world where they have been marginalized, just like the black population. I could introduce you to Jews who are also smart, well educated and compassionate. At the same time, I could introduce you to black people who are definitely not interested in your well being, or Jewish mafia, who control Hollywood. Yeah, that's not a misprint. If fact here's a link to some real drug smugglers radioislam.org/crime/drugs/israelidrugsmuggler.htm If you research it you will find that about 40 Jewish kids were popped for attempting to smuggle ecstasy into New York. Senator Hillary Clinton got the charges dismissed.... The point is this; anybody with a bathtub can make meth, anybody with a need can try to smuggle meth or any other money making object. Race is incidental. We live in a world where the media tries to create perceptions, and the only thing worse than smuggling drugs........is buying into those said perceptions.

It's Iranians, because Iranians are probably some of the most ill-informed people on the planet,

media and information are tightly controled in Iran.

The handler tells them, here is 2,300 USD, run this out of Thailand, if you get caught they will

put in in jail for a year or so.

They figure why not, as they only make 3,000 USD a year working anyways, so if they lose a year or two so what,

I bet 80% of them have no idea they are going to jail for life if they get caught.