Farang Connection

hellyes2oo2

I was in Surin on saturday with a friend, and at lunchtime we called into the Farang Connection to get some food. The waitress gave us the menu, and we both decided to have the roast beef dinner, so off she went, only to return a few minutes later to tell us they had no roast beef. So we went through the menu again, and to keep things simple we ordered fish, chips and mushy peas twice, off she went again,she came out of the kitchen, sat down at a table and we waited for our meal, a few minutes later she went back into the kitchen, then came to inform us that they had not got fish.So we gave it one more try, ordered the cheese and potatoe pie twice.And guess what....after a few minutes she informed us that they did not have any. So three meals ordered, nothing in stock, and when we said we would just finish our drinks and not bother eating we got a glaring look from the waitress as if to say i don't care. It is amazing how far this place has gone down, since martin passed, he must be turning in his grave.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was there late last year and although we only ordered a steakburger and hamburger, i did notice a couple that had ordered and were tucking into something a bit more unique. I think snitzel from memory.

As i was staying in town i made a habit of looking in occasionally yet there never seemed to be anyone in the place..even the staff were keeping a low profile. The competition directly accross the road seemed to be doing somewhat better,although it was pretty quiet there too.

I am guessing if there is no farang prescence in management the Thais would not be bothered to pay for, and have on hand, all of that huge menu...especially since there is no telling how long it would be before they sold any of it. Most of that stuff would be frozen one would think?

Anyway, I assume Martin, who the OP refers to, was the owner/manager with his wife who were pictured on the menu? I dont think i ever saw Martin at that stage, maybe he had already passed.

RIP Martin..

Its a shame to hear of his passing..when did this happen OP?

Edited by tingtongtourist

• 3 weeks later...

Needless speculation and rumor and the resulting bickering from rumor mongering have been removed.

And i thought this thread would have been quiet harmless...how do they do it? :o

Beats the heck out of me, even after all these years.

Needless speculation and rumor and the resulting bickering from rumor mongering have been removed.

And i thought this thread would have been quiet harmless...how do they do it? :o

Beats the heck out of me, even after all these years.

There seem to be a couple of forums where spleen is the default.

The lady who owns the FC doesnt deserve anyones service! Wont go into how she treated her husband who has now passed away but she treats farangs like idiots and is currently trying to rip me off over a deposit for rent on a house. Not replied to any emails for over a week now so will be going to the shop to have it out with her.

Apart from that the one and only time I went my wife got a curry that seemed to be a microwaved curry, watery, oily and bland. I got the breakfast and 15 minutes later it was a race to get to the toilet.

This poster knows his onions.

I will never set foot in this place again.

The lady who owns the FC doesnt deserve anyones service! Wont go into how she treated her husband who has now passed away but she treats farangs like idiots and is currently trying to rip me off over a deposit for rent on a house. Not replied to any emails for over a week now so will be going to the shop to have it out with her.

Apart from that the one and only time I went my wife got a curry that seemed to be a microwaved curry, watery, oily and bland. I got the breakfast and 15 minutes later it was a race to get to the toilet.

Farang connection was never much chop(pun intended) even when Martin was around. Food was expensive and bland. Service levels were poor from staff. Martin could be a charming and likeable person when he chose to be. I was a regular visitor to Farang connection and was annoyed at the numerous complaints from newcomers/visitors about both the poor service and poor food quality. In the end I chose to eat elsewhere and went there to chat to the locals when I was in town who are mostly a good bunch.

However to most new falang it was the only place they knew about and it was a meeting place for the local drinkers. At least you could speak English to the owner and had a reasonable chance of getting what you wanted. Now of course few if any of the staff have any english at all. My last visit there I was watching the tennis with a friend when the current owners(Sunnee?) boyfriend came in and changed the channel to the english football, put his feet up on the table and proceeded to read the local paper. My friend and I paid our bill and have never been back!

There are many many better options now in Surin and quite frankly if you run a business with bad service, employ staff with no or little english,, have high prices and poor quality food you can not expect to receive glowing reports from customers. It all comes down to a lack of management skills and a I don't care attitude from both management and staff.

This business could be turned around very quickly and if it was would benefit Surin as most people coming to Surin for the first time gravitate to this place as it has advertised well over the years. It is a pity that visitors to Surin will more than likely leave with a bad impression of the town due to this poorly run business!

Edited by tlcwaterfall

Farang connection was never much chop(pun intended) even when Martin was around. Food was expensive and bland. Service levels were poor from staff. Martin could be a charming and likeable person when he chose to be. I was a regular visitor to Farang connection and was annoyed at the numerous complaints from newcomers/visitors about both the poor service and poor food quality. In the end I chose to eat elsewhere and went there to chat to the locals when I was in town who are mostly a good bunch.

However to most new falang it was the only place they knew about and it was a meeting place for the local drinkers. At least you could speak English to the owner and had a reasonable chance of getting what you wanted. Now of course few if any of the staff have any english at all. My last visit there I was watching the tennis with a friend when the current owners(Sunnee?) boyfriend came in and changed the channel to the english football, put his feet up on the table and proceeded to read the local paper. My friend and I paid our bill and have never been back!

There are many many better options now in Surin and quite frankly if you run a business with bad service, employ staff with no or little english,, have high prices and poor quality food you can not expect to receive glowing reports from customers. It all comes down to a lack of management skills and a I don't care attitude from both management and staff.

This business could be turned around very quickly and if it was would benefit Surin as most people coming to Surin for the first time gravitate to this place as it has advertised well over the years. It is a pity that visitors to Surin will more than likely leave with a bad impression of the town due to this poorly run business!

After many years reading about the place I managed to get there in 2009.......swore I would never go back, did once more and that was enough...service was siht and the atmosphere terrible, full of pi**ed guys that were having problems with their x bargirl wifes...as for the staff, rude, ignorant and unfriendly....Surin is crying out for a decent bar with a good owner/manager that knows what he is doing.

....Surin is crying out for a decent bar with a good owner/manager that knows what he is doing.

There are. They're just not Farang run, vacant of European fare.

The long and short of it, is that [even to this day] Surin doesn't have a large enough market to legitimize an exclusive hangout the promotes Farang atmosphere and whatnot. Many have gone under even with the best intentions. A couple have survived......barely hanging on and continue to thrive.

Thought you were not allowed to shit can Thais or a specific business on TV.....hmmmpff

Bash Thais, loh?

Well, if that is the case, then a good 75% of total posts for the last ten years would be binned.

As for specific businesses, there might be a finer line as to what is perceived as critiquing and questioning business practices as opposed to uttered trashing. One could use this clause over needless slobbering [over the respected establishment] apologies.....even if it doesn't work that way.

Edited by zzaa09

Thought you were not allowed to shit can Thais or a specific business on TV.....hmmmpff

If you are familiar with the establishment and its circumstances you will be aware thats what written here is the tuth, not shit canning of a business.

What could (and many would argue should) have been written hasnt.

Heres a tip for prospective business owners in that part of the world, if you are going to charge Bkk prices you had better provide a level of service comensurate with what you charge, microwaved frozen meals dont cut it.

If you are familiar with the establishment and its circumstances you will be aware thats what written here is the tuth, not shit canning of a business.

What could (and many would argue should) have been written hasnt.

Heres a tip for prospective business owners in that part of the world, if you are going to charge Bkk prices you had better provide a level of service comensurate with what you charge, microwaved frozen meals dont cut it.

Not arguing - but if you think BKK restaurants don't serve microwaved foods you are mistaken.

Martin priced at the level he thought was appropriate - the customers ALWAYS have the final decision.

Please .... this is Isaan. You want Falang food, you pat a fair price. Not Pattaya prices, but a fair price.

YES, I speak as one who sells.

Not arguing - but if you think BKK restaurants don't serve microwaved foods you are mistaken.

Martin priced at the level he thought was appropriate - the customers ALWAYS have the final decision.

Please .... this is Isaan. You want Falang food, you pat a fair price. Not Pattaya prices, but a fair price.

YES, I speak as one who sells.

And doing reasonably well, thank you.;)

Well, if that is the case, then a good 75% of total posts for the last ten years would be binned.

Well, rules are rules, not allowed to trash Thais on this forum....tis in the rules....many threads closed because of it.

I think I should report all the relevant bashing posts to the bosses.

Well, rules are rules, not allowed to trash Thais on this forum....tis in the rules....many threads closed because of it.

I think I should report all the relevant bashing posts to the bosses.

Please do so. :D Also please explain where Thais have been trashed in the posts. The truth has been told and others have confirmed the OP'S opinion. Since when is the truth to be considered trashing?

I would suggest any business that gets bad reviews can use the bad reviews as a tool to improve itself. Or they can continue to do their own thing and lose customers and continue to receive bad reviews. This is Thailand after all. 'Up to you'

When I first moved to Surin I made the mistake of posting on another forum how badly I was treated by staff at Farang Connection and how bad their meals were. Many locals thought I had no right to speak my mind and tell the truth and I was shouted down in no uncertain terms. I guess out of misguided loyalty for the previous owner, Martin. I will admit I have taken great pleasure in seeing the demise of the Farang Connection over the last few years and it now appears that I am not Robinson Crusoe. Sunee, ( The current owner) does not deserve one cent of your hard earned money. I could write 3000 words about why you should go nowhere near this place (but this post will only be deleted so I won't bother), so I ask that you trust me and the other posters on this thread and give the place a wide berth. It really does reflect badly on Surin, there is so much better on offer. The sooner the place is sold ( Not at the price she's asking) or closes it's doors the better. Don't say you haven't been warned.

It's really a shame that the FC has sunk to these lows the past two years. With it's location and name recognition among Farangs who visit Surin the place should be doing better. With the passing of Martin his wife, who I refer to as the Dragonlady, and her Thai boyfriend have made no effort in trying to make the FC Farang friendly. They hire young Thai girls to serve food and drink who have no knowledge of English and can't even read their own menu, they make it apparent to all but a blindman that Farangs are to be treated like a dog and God help you if want to rent a car/motorbike/home from Sunee. With the exception of a hard core group of over the hill Farangs who make this place their drinking spot every afternoon the joint is dead. I used to go there for breakfast two or three times a week but no more. It's kinda off putting to see these fat badly dressed Farangs drinking beer and complaining about everything Thai at 8:30 in the morning. Until there is a change in ownership the FC will continue to be a place to avoid at all costs. Try the Sportsman Pub across the street and there you will be treated as a welcomed customer.

With the exception of a hard core group of over the hill Farangs who make this place their drinking spot every afternoon the joint is dead. I used to go there for breakfast two or three times a week but no more. It's kinda off putting to see these fat badly dressed Farangs drinking beer and complaining about everything Thai at 8:30 in the morning.

Have to have a little bemused chuckle with this site.....just pass any morning, and they're there like clockwork.

No one really expected the place to survive after Martin's passing, as the food and atmosphere wasn't that grand when he was running the show. Have to remember, that old geezer was looked upon as a iconic-class sorta hero in some local circles. Therefore, the defences come quick to those usual characters.

Today's Surin is fastly different than when he opened FC. There was really no competition and the Farang community was miniscule. Harbouring principally on the [fame] name recognition, travel book entry, and tall tales - FC survived around wannabe tour operating, vehicle and accomodation rentals, etc. Still, we've seen quite a number of Farang bar/eateries go belly up in Surin.....

I have a house in Surin Province, but would never go to a place with a racist name. As for good grub, try Hossaning (sp?by the lake. On the main street in Surin City there are numerous delicious restaurants.. There is also an English style butcher that sells sausages, and many types of meat that the Western pallet would enjoy. Be inventive and buy a small BBQ and have your own party! During the darkness, simply scope out the lights and play it by night vision.

Please explain how the name could possibly be racist?

Lighten up! I'm sure it's just a wee joke.

I stopped off at the FC last month to see a couple of the

local lads who drink there and found it to be fine. I only

drank, didn't eat, and had a pleasant time. I was also the

youngest 'farang' for miles around it seemed as the place

is a bit of an elephant's graveyard - maybe that's why

everything is so slow!

Please explain how the name could possibly be racist?

The word "Farang" refers to people of a lighter skin, assumed to be foreign or of foreign origin. I understand that it originates from a time when most foreigners in the region were assumed to be French. It is offensive in the same way that "nigger" refers to people of a dark skin, usually assumed to be African or of African origin. In the UK some years ago people who appeared to be of Asian origin were referred to as "Packies" (i.e. from Pakistan). All such terms are very offensive and racist.