Korat Immigration Office..

I recently posted a topic about a friend who was given the telephone number and address of the soon to be opened (?) Korat Immigration office. This info was given to him by Bangkok Immigration.

QUOTE "I was speaking to an English friend this morning. He had just come back from BKK. He was at a trade fair, which coincided with hes 90 day reporting date, so thought he would get that out of the way whilst in BKK. (non-o support thai wife) Yesterday he arrived at Immigration and was told he did not have to report on that day, as he had been to Hong Kong (with a re-entry permit) and the report day was now mid November. I was already aware of this fact, and had told him so previously. Anyway, the immigration officer then told him, he did not have to report to BKK anyway. He could do it in the open / soon to be opened ???? KORAT office. He even gave him the telephone number and address."

Anyway, another local ex-pat called the Korat office yesterday as he is due to re-new his non-o extension. The official he spoke to told him that Korat did not do that type of work :o

Is there anybody who has a definitive answer as to what the ###### is going on with Korat Immigration. And exactly what services it is (will be) providing.

:D That's a good XXXXXXX question. I also keep getting "mixed" information about this. One says he has personally talked with them and they were to open for business the first of October. Another says he "heard" they are only doing "investigative work". What the heck is going on???? Well, for whatever it is worth I am making a "run" to Korat on Monday morning and will try to find the place and see for myself if anything is happening or what. :o

Good one Ken. And if you remember, can you ask them if they are accepting applications for extension to non-o. I beleive they are situated across the road from Big C ??? I await your update with bated breath :o

OK.....found the place and indeed it is "almost" across from the Big C. If you enter the gate for Assumption College, there is a building immediately left before the school "security" gate. There is a "parking area". At the center of the building, which is the "back side" of the building there is an entrance to the building. As soon as you enter that entrance, there is now a big sign that says "IMMIGRATION CENTER NORTHEASTERN REGION". Go up the flight of stairs. Then there is a set of glass doors with the hours printed....open at 08:30 thru 16:30, Monday thru Friday, closed Saturday and Sunday. I did walk in where there was quite a number of what looked like "immigration people" in their work uniforms and I met with "somebody" who seemed in charge and spoke English. Actually as "Dutch" previously described in another thread, there are now even more desks, computers, etc. Anyway, I talked with the guy who seemed in charge. And according to him, YES, this office will be handling "Farang" visa extensions, etc. However it will be another 2 or 3 months before they are ready (his words). He did say that they can NOW take care of the "90 day address reporting". At this point, I did take out my Passport and at least twice asked him to confirm.....YES, 90 day report this office can do now. YES, within two or three months they will be taking care of "marriage and retirement" extensions. So, take it from there. Looking forward to having an office in Korat. :o

Edited by Ken

Was there today!

quite a lot of people,three of them wear uniforms (11/2 stripe).One of them talked reasonable english.

The other 2 hardly and one was an unfriendly type ( I met already 1 week ago for the 90 days reporting)

2 were telling they still don't do any administartive actions and it will take some time ( can be more than 1/2 year or so????).However one of them gave me my 90 days slip last week????

The english speaking official hoever told me that 90 days would be fine!?!?!?

They are administrative centre for 17 provinces that's why it will take some time before they will be real operational.

December I will go for my 90 days ( and if not, i go right away to the post) and I will go for my extension to Suan Plu.

Edited by dutch

• 3 weeks later...

Mumbo Jumbo,

Yes. Last Thursday 20 Oct. Tried to get 90 day report certified (right word?)

They were very pleasant and apologetic (2 were anyway, others didn't look up) but they say they have no idea when they will be open for business. No they could not even do 90 days on instruction from the "big boss" (their words) in Bangkok.

About 7 staff, none in uniform: 2 on computers, one writing on a whiteboard, others reading.

Bit disappointing as I had made a detour (on my way to pick up relatives in Buriram) on the strength of what I had read in Thaivisa.com.

Assumption school (inside whose gates the office is located) is about 400metres beyond Big C towards Khon Kaen (on the opposite side of the road). Don't do what I did and go into the technical college which is nearer to Big C.

Hey Seen All...

A detour on the strength of what you read ?????

I made it pretty clear that NOTHING was certain yet.I even wrote that I want to try my 90 days reporting in December OR straight to the post office.

They are obviously not ready and it will take some time.

Be patient

Dutch,

No need to apologise. I didn't think for one minute I'd get my 90days, and I would have gone via Korat anyway for other reasons. I did notice the !?!?!? in your post. :o

But note what I wrote: Thaivisa.com. I notice you haven't been helpful and updated the info. you posted in another thread on subject of Korat Imm office.

Oh well, TIT, I guess. As stated by myself earlier, the English speaking "Officer in Charge" did indeed twice, assure me that 90 Day reporting could be done there. Once when I asked him about 90 day reporting and the second time when I opened up my passport and showed him my current 90 day report. Both times he "confirmed" the 90 day report could be done there now. :o Guess I will find out for myself "for sure" at my next 90 day report at the end of December. And doing it by post still works if need be. :D

Don't know why "Seen all" had a problem doing the 90 day address report at the new Korat office. I just talked on the phone with a VFW friend who lives in Korat and he made his 90 day report last week. I'll get a further report from him when I see him in person on Wednesday for his 72nd birthday party. TIT for "Seen all", I guess. :o

There are 3 uniformed officers.

2 say "NO" (not yet)

1 say "OK" (the english speaking)

I think it is just the moment of the day and who is on lunch break :o

As I said b4,I will go in December but be prepared to go straight to the postoffice.

But let us keep each other informed

Don't know why "Seen all" had a problem doing the 90 day address report at the new Korat office.  I just talked on the phone with a VFW friend who lives in Korat and he made his 90 day report last week.  I'll get a further report from him when I see him in person on Wednesday for his 72nd birthday party.  TIT for "Seen all", I guess. :o

KEN

I am outraged. I am idignant that your VFW friend got his 90 day report countersigned at Korat and I didn't.

I know you and he must feel ashamed and embarrassed that he received special treatment.

Oh, and by the way, I was able to talk with 2 VFW friends today and they both said they were delighted by Portsmouth's win at Sunderland on Saturday. Now THAT is believable. Speak with you soon.

SALN

There are 3 uniformed officers.

2 say "NO" (not yet)

1 say "OK" (the english speaking)

I think it is just the moment of the day and who is on lunch break :D

As I said b4,I will go in December but be prepared to go straight to the postoffice.

But let us keep each other informed

I'm with you on that one Dutch. I'll get a little more detail tomorrow from the "successful" appicant. :D

KEN

I am outraged. I am idignant that your VFW friend got his 90 day report countersigned at Korat and I didn't.

I know you and he must feel ashamed and embarrassed that he received special treatment. 

Oh, and by the way, I was able to talk with 2 VFW friends today and they both said they were delighted by Portsmouth's win at Sunderland on Saturday. Now THAT is believable. Speak with you soon.

SALN

:o

What I didn’t mention before was that on my arrival at the Korat office I passed someone on the stairs whom I took to be an officer (although he wasn’t in uniform). He asked in English what I wanted. I showed him my 90 day report form and asked “can do?”said he said, “Yes. OK”. Was I surprised when once inside I was told NO?. TiT.

If anyone else is perplexed by my previous post – don’t worry, so am I.

What I was trying to say was I DON’T BELIEVE IT. Victor Meldrew talk for the English out there. Meaning the exact opposite: I DO BELIEVE it and am indignant that someone else gets lucky.

I won’t try and explain the Portsmouth remark because I doubt if there are many other Pompey fans out there – if there are, it is gratifying that I’m not the only saddo in LOS.

Anyway that’s cleared that up then. :o:D:D

Yesterday I talked in person with the "birthday boy" who, last week, successfully completed his 90 day report at the new Korat office (by the way he turned 71 years not 72 as I previously posted....sorry Val). :D

He said that it took him 30 minutes to complete the process. The main reason for the lengthy time period was that he neglected to bring photo copies of the relevant pages of his passport. He didn't think he would need copies as he was doing this in person with his passport. Well they wanted copies and they were having problems with their on site copy machine. It took them 30 minutes to sort it out. :D

So, it looks like one can indeed get the 90 day report completed there now but nothing more as yet...no extensions etc as they are "not ready". However, based on SALN's earlier report and TIT, I guess one should also be prepared, just in case it's "a bad hair day", to send the 90 day by post. :o

Edited by Ken

Yesterday I talked in person with the "birthday boy" who, last week, successfully completed his 90 day report at the new Korat office (by the way he turned 71 years not 72 as I previously posted....sorry Val). :D

He said that it took him 30 minutes to complete the process.  The main reason for the lengthy time period was that he neglected to bring photo copies of the relevant pages of his passport.  He didn't think he would need copies as he was doing this in person with his passport.  Well they wanted copies and they were having problems with their on site copy machine.  It took them 30 minutes to sort it out. :D

So, it looks like one can indeed get the 90 day report completed there now but nothing more as yet...no extensions etc as they are "not ready".  However, based on SALN's earlier report and TIT, I guess one should also be prepared, just in case it's "a bad hair day", to send the 90 day by post. :o

Good stuff Ken. I will also give it a try in early December and report the outcome. :D:D:D Heres hoping :D