Vip Bus From Bangkok To Ubon Ratchathani

4evermaat

O

I asked my girlfriend "Isn't there a book we can purchase with list of bus companies offering service?" She said no (or she doesn't know of any). I ask "How Thai people know who go to xxxxxx city? Must go bus station every time?" She say "YES"

So here I am <_<

I need to know the name/numbers of buses that go from Bangkok to Khemarat (70km from Ubon Ratchathani). We may have to take bus going to Ubon Ratchathani and then catch another one; this is fine. Preferred method is a direct bus that passes through Khemarat.

VIP is a must. Prefer 24-seat VIP, but 32 is ok also.

My GF already knows how to get to the North bus station. I went one time when dropping off her mom and she bought 2 tickets, NOT VIP. I got to the bus and felt sorry for myself. 13 hour trip, no air condition, seats did NOT recline back. She had more than enough money (and time) to look around for VIP ticket from different companies. Plus I reminded her [at least] 4 times several days before to make sure she check for make sure have bus for mama.

I made it clear I will not go if there is no VIP. We have over a week to get these tickets.

Nakonchai Air provide the best and safest service to Ubon, their buses run to and from the Morchit bus terminal in Bkk.

Average travel time is 8 hours, gold class is 552 baht and first class is 736 baht per person.

Nakonchai Air provide the best and safest service to Ubon, their buses run to and from the Morchit bus terminal in Bkk.

Average travel time is 8 hours, gold class is 552 baht and first class is 736 baht per person.

Nackorchai Air now have their own bus terminal just down the road from Morchit. This makes the service even better as you don't have to put up with the hustle bustle of Morchit.

Nackornchai Air terminal is clean, quiet and has an air con depature lounge. There are always good, clean taxis waiting out side too. No touts. Just get in the taxi tell him where you want to go. He will switch on the meter and away you go.

Edited by puchooay

Nackorchai Air now have their own bus terminal just down the road from Morchit. This makes the service even better as you don't have to put up with the hustle bustle of Morchit.

Nackornchai Air terminal is clean, quiet and has an air con depature lounge. There are always good, clean taxis waiting out side too. No touts. Just get in the taxi tell him where you want to go. He will switch on the meter and away you go.

You can get the VIP bus to Ubon but then you have to take the local red rattler to Khemarat with a change of buses at Trakan Phuetphon. Ive done the red rattler a couple of times and definately not recommend it. Last time I was in Khemarat for holidays I did a few trips to BKK for medical appts and did the trip on the No 1 Blue bus to and from Mochit. Costs about 600 baht each way. Not up to the same class as VIP but better than most of the cheaper buses. Stops at most larger towns/cities on the way as opposed to being flagged down on the road. Recliner seats, a snack and bottled water provided and unfortunately the rediculous thai tv shows on the tv in the bus. The bus starts the trip from Khemarat in the main street opposite the honda dealer. Its not a bad trip but flying is still preferable.

Now if you are going to go the VIP route to Ubon there is no alternative to getting from Ubon to Khemarat apart from the red rattler or organising family to pick you up.

Hope this has helped

Carl

There is no VIP bus service to Khemarat from BKK. There is the normal bus that leaves MOCHIT to Khemart and takes about 12 hours. Fare is about 500Baht. Leaves about 7.30pm 8.30pm and 9.30pm from BKK each day.

But this service is a big hassle, long trip, smelly and loud TV for three hours and then about 9 hours of on and off stopping until you get to Khemarat in the early morning around 5,00am to 6,00am. (depending on what bus you depart on)

The others service is via Ubon as other posters have mentioned. However when you get to Ubon you have to take a local bus to Khemarat for about 60Baht one way. It is a two hour trip that is so dam_n slow and always full of people. Many a time I have stood all the way.

It is best to go to the Sunnee Hotel in Ubon and get hold of a private car.. trip will take about 1.30mins at a cost of 1200 Baht.

Cheers

Bill

Thanks. I've heard good things about this company. Are their any VIP-24 seat? Not necessarily from the same company.

You are right about Morchit. Looked like organized chaos compared to the south terminal.

You can get the VIP bus to Ubon but then you have to take the local red rattler to Khemarat with a change of buses at Trakan Phuetphon. Ive done the red rattler a couple of times and definately not recommend it. Last time I was in Khemarat for holidays I did a few trips to BKK for medical appts and did the trip on the No 1 Blue bus to and from Mochit. Costs about 600 baht each way. Not up to the same class as VIP but better than most of the cheaper buses. Stops at most larger towns/cities on the way as opposed to being flagged down on the road. Recliner seats, a snack and bottled water provided and unfortunately the rediculous thai tv shows on the tv in the bus. The bus starts the trip from Khemarat in the main street opposite the honda dealer. Its not a bad trip but flying is still preferable.

Now if you are going to go the VIP route to Ubon there is no alternative to getting from Ubon to Khemarat apart from the red rattler or organising family to pick you up.

Hope this has helped

Carl

:thumbsup:

Yes, my GF confirmed that there is a #1 bus with air that goes to Khemarat; she has taken it before. I don't know why she didn't get this one for her mama. "I never ask" . She's the one that can speak thai, not me. Up to her.

Is there a name/number for that company offering the No 1 bus from Bkk to Khemarat? Or at least the bus terminal booth #. What times does this bus leave?

There is no VIP bus service to Khemarat from BKK. There is the normal bus that leaves MOCHIT to Khemart and takes about 12 hours. Fare is about 500Baht. Leaves about 7.30pm 8.30pm and 9.30pm from BKK each day.

But this service is a big hassle, long trip, smelly and loud TV for three hours and then about 9 hours of on and off stopping until you get to Khemarat in the early morning around 5,00am to 6,00am. (depending on what bus you depart on)

The others service is via Ubon as other posters have mentioned. However when you get to Ubon you have to take a local bus to Khemarat for about 60Baht one way. It is a two hour trip that is so dam_n slow and always full of people. Many a time I have stood all the way.

It is best to go to the Sunnee Hotel in Ubon and get hold of a private car.. trip will take about 1.30mins at a cost of 1200 Baht.

Cheers

Bill

Ok. I'm still surprised there is no minibus service to/through Khemarat if it is popular destination. My GF said you move too slow if you cannot get a seat on the local bus :giggle:

Any reason why you prefer the bus over a plane?

Or the train to Ubon and then privat transport to Khemarat :D

Cost vs convenience is the major consideration. How much for the different train options? How much for plane ticket round trip? How much in advance do I have to book plane ticket?

I looked at Air Asia. 1400 baht or so for one-way ticket. Is this good price?

If it was from phuket to ubon, plane would be much more attractive and price would actually be the same or cheaper than taking the bus. One way looks like ≈ 1600 baht PKT >> UBON And I still need transport to Khemarat.

When I flew into Phuket, it took about 150 baht for air cond minibus to Patong Beach.

Q: Does airplane allow you to check in seafood in a sealed cooler for domestic flight?. I heard rumor that seafood could not transport undercarrage and possibly carryon also. Want to confirm that with someone here.

It seems like for comfort, either flying, VIP train, or VIP bus to Ubon coupled with private transport to Khemarat is the best route.

The best value with practicality seems to be the #1 bus from BKK to Khemarat, as that is my final destination anyway. Has air cond and recliner seats (toilet?) and major town stops only (maybe 1 stop also for snacks? I think this option will fill up quickly among thais.....

Or take bus to Khemarat, and take private transport/plane coming back. That may work out better so i can test both options. Especially if there are baggage restrictions for seafood for domestic flight.

The barebones option with no reclining seats, standing seats when full, maybe has air cond, and flag-down-like-taxi stopping for passengers in-route. For 1-200 baht savings from #1 option, I doubt i will take this option.

Edited by 4evermaat

1400 baht for Air Asia for a one hour flight as apposed to a 10 hour bus trip for maybe 1,000 baht cheaper I would take the plane (and I do) every time.

I just booked a flight for August for Bangkok to Ubon with Nok Air for 1090 baht.

Bergen is more knowledgeable about the train but I think it is around the 700 baht mark but of course it takes just as long as the bus.

Make sure your seafood is very tightly wrapped up in a container that does not look like it is carrying seafood and you wont have any problems. Just don't tell them.

Hello

I have travelled up and down this road more times than I care to remember .

Train - Oolampong to Ubon . The early morning aircon 2nd class is about 700 bhat and gets you into Warin station at 1400 hrs . A nice way to travel . The sleeper on the other hand is the way to go and there is a canteen on the train .

Plane - Will save you money spent on food and taxis and is my favourite .

Pick up truck- for about 400 bhat i took a pick up from the village to BK . It was absolute hell . I was in the back with a couple of migrant workers . Getting to old for that kind of malarky .

Bus - Nakhon air is the best . But as the Warin station is a good 50 kiometers from where I live it is not always my choice . Mostly these days I go into Det Udom (all the small towns have one) bus station the day before I leave and buy 2 seats about half way up the bus . The front window seats will turn you grey with terror ! It is an aircon bus and they provide you with water and stop outside Nakon Ratchasima for a noodle . The bus gets into Mochit at about 0400 hrs . There you can get a taxi to the airport or wherever and the roads are quiet at that time in the morning , The 2 seats give you plenty of room to get comfortable and comes to about 800 bhat .

It is all about timing . I would recomend the early morning train to Warin and then a pick up to kamarat . All in a day and clickity clack .

Bon voyage :thumbsup:

Ok. I'm still surprised there is no minibus service to/through Khemarat if it is popular destination. My GF said you move too slow if you cannot get a seat on the local bus :giggle:

It is not that I am slow , it is because most Thais (should read ppl from Issan) really have no respect nor manners when it comes to bus travel. Cannot expect much more from this part of the world. BTW since when was Khemmart a tourist destination?? I think you can count the "tourist's" on one hand on a monthly basis here!!

The night train from Bkk to Ubon leaves 20.30 and arrives 07.30 (if I remember correct) :rolleyes:

2. class is about 700 baht, and 1. class around 1200. Lower berth is a few baht more expensive than upper....

Food and drinks can be ordered from the restaurant on the train and brought to you, or you can go and have a seat there.

All in all quite comfortable, and I've done it several times. :D

Hope this has helped

Carl

Yes, my GF confirmed that there is a #1 bus with air that goes to Khemarat; she has taken it before. I don't know why she didn't get this one for her mama. "I never ask" . She's the one that can speak thai, not me. Up to her.

Is there a name/number for that company offering the No 1 bus from Bkk to Khemarat? Or at least the bus terminal booth #. What times does this bus leave?

I think the number might be 738 but dont quote me on that. When we did the trips we bought return tickets from the office in Khemarat. In the Mochit terminal your girlfriend can just wander along the counter until she finds the one to Khemarat. Wifey did point it out to me but I cant remember which one it is now. The bus we took left 7.30 pm (approx) and got into Khemarat about 6 am. Make sure you have your passport as you will get checked quite a few times by police looking for lao people.

Hope this has helped

Carl

I think the number might be 738 but dont quote me on that. When we did the trips we bought return tickets from the office in Khemarat. In the Mochit terminal your girlfriend can just wander along the counter until she finds the one to Khemarat. Wifey did point it out to me but I cant remember which one it is now. The bus we took left 7.30 pm (approx) and got into Khemarat about 6 am. Make sure you have your passport as you will get checked quite a few times by police looking for lao people.

Counter 27 at Mochit for tickets to Khemmarat.

Yes and don't forget the passport as another poster indicated.

Go to Ubon and then private car . Much more comfortable.

1400 baht for Air Asia for a one hour flight as apposed to a 10 hour bus trip for maybe 1,000 baht cheaper I would take the plane (and I do) every time.

I just booked a flight for August for Bangkok to Ubon with Nok Air for 1090 baht.

Bergen is more knowledgeable about the train but I think it is around the 700 baht mark but of course it takes just as long as the bus.

Make sure your seafood is very tightly wrapped up in a container that does not look like it is carrying seafood and you wont have any problems. Just don't tell them.

Ok. So do you order directly from air carrier's website? Or do you recommend a specific discounter/local agency? What is your secret to getting cheap fares? You booked well in advance which probably helps.

The night train from Bkk to Ubon leaves 20.30 and arrives 07.30 (if I remember correct) :rolleyes:

2. class is about 700 baht, and 1. class around 1200. Lower berth is a few baht more expensive than upper....

Food and drinks can be ordered from the restaurant on the train and brought to you, or you can go and have a seat there.

Let me confirm: 2nd class is a reclining seat. 1st class is a sleeper berth. Correct? All food is extra.

A sleeper berth. Can two people fit in a single berth? Do I have to pay for each person?

I checked out a date in June and see that I could also grab a flight coming back to bangkok for 1100 baht, tax included.

It seems like Nok Air allows seafood, but carryon only. I would much rather check it in.

I checked out a date in June and see that I could also grab a flight coming back to bangkok for 1100 baht, tax included.

It seems like Nok Air allows seafood, but carryon only. I would much rather check it in.

I think enough information has been posted on this thread to assist the OP. It is through no fault of all posters that he cannot make up his mind one way or the other. I mean as time is running out the ticket for flights becomes more expensive and this guy will end up taking the bus.

Make up your mind!

Ok. So do you order directly from air carrier's website? Or do you recommend a specific discounter/local agency? What is your secret to getting cheap fares? You booked well in advance which probably helps.

Let me confirm: 2nd class is a reclining seat. 1st class is a sleeper berth. Correct? All food is extra.

A sleeper berth. Can two people fit in a single berth? Do I have to pay for each person?

:blink:

:blink:

Hmmmmmmm yes

1. class sleeper has private compartments for 2 people with upper and lower berths.

2. class sleeper is a wagon/carrier with upper and lower berths separated with a walkway in the middle.

post-24958-0-16466500-1306423064_thumb.j post-24958-0-40303900-1306423010_thumb.j

Any other qestions? :rolleyes:

Just one more question.

Where can he find a tuk tuk with a separate luggage compartment for seafood to take him from the train station to the bus terminal for 20 baht or less?

This guy should just walk to Ubon carrying his seafood with him...

IATA rules 16.72.13 "No Seafood allowed on all domestic flights in Thailand"

Thanks everyone. We ended up going with booth #28 ( 02-936-0043, 0253) and getting tickets directly to Khemmarat (No 1 bus) for 471 baht, and will probably head back via airplane. That company is the only one who will allow advance purchase (and 7-11 purchase). The other companies only allow same-day purchase (?????) The GF said that the same company can operate from more than 1 booth number. Is this the equivilant of Ford Taurus and Mercury Sable (repackaging)?

Which air company do you think is better to get back to Bangkok: AirAsia or Nok Air?

Thanks everyone. We ended up going with booth #28 ( 02-936-0043, 0253) and getting tickets directly to Khemmarat (No 1 bus) for 471 baht, and will probably head back via airplane. That company is the only one who will allow advance purchase (and 7-11 purchase). The other companies only allow same-day purchase (?????) The GF said that the same company can operate from more than 1 booth number. Is this the equivilant of Ford Taurus and Mercury Sable (repackaging)?

Which air company do you think is better to get back to Bangkok: AirAsia or Nok Air?

I used to be a big fan of Air Asia, but lately their prices have really gone up and they nickel and dime you for everything, have to pay for seats, baggage, and an administrative charge if you book on internet,

Nok is my air carrier of choice now, cheaper than air asia, don't have to pay for seats or baggage. So would reccomend you use Nok Air. They fly out of Don Muang instead of the main airport.

I used to be a big fan of Air Asia, but lately their prices have really gone up and they nickel and dime you for everything, have to pay for seats, baggage, and an administrative charge if you book on internet,

Nok is my air carrier of choice now, cheaper than air asia, don't have to pay for seats or baggage. So would reccomend you use Nok Air. They fly out of Don Muang instead of the main airport.

Thanks. I went with Nok Air. Too bad their Nok Fan Club pages are in Thai. But you can follow along fairly easily if you have the regular site open to the same pages. Their order page is really simple. Used the BKK visa debit card with no problems.

The #1 bus wasnt too bad. It worked out better as we had 10kg seafood in a cooler. had air con and it took about 12 hours total. I barely noticed the stops into town, and the bus was fairly quiet; most everyone slept.

Perhaps we'll stay in ubon town the night before our flight, to avoid the need to scramble for someone reliable to take us to the airport in the morning.

The #1 bus wasnt too bad. It worked out better as we had 10kg seafood in a cooler. had air con and it took about 12 hours total. I barely noticed the stops into town, and the bus was fairly quiet; most everyone slept.

Perhaps we'll stay in ubon town the night before our flight, to avoid the need to scramble for someone reliable to take us to the airport in the morning.

Just as well you have left the seafood behind in Kemmarat. Ubon hotels don't allow durian or seafood.

Just kidding. You will need a tuk tuk from the hotel to airport. There is an English speaking tuk tuk guy whose tel no I can't find at the moment - maybe Bergen or MeMock have it.

I wasn't a fan of Nok - only because I used to believe they were a stalking horse for Thai Airways to try to knock Air Asia off the route and we would end up back with one expensive carrier. Looks unlikely now - AA has pretty thoroughly embedded itself and flies a lot fuller than it did 3 years ago even now that they have 2 not one flights per day. I still don't use Nok, but only really because I find Swampy more convenient for most of my onward journeys.