The Darker Side Of Cm

folium

Hear hear well written my friend

jap.gif

I've often had the feeling that Thai's are indifferent to the problem. I fail to see how someone can be a habitual predatory pedophile in LOS without anyone knowing about it.

And yet, this is exactly the case every single time a pedophile is caught in every other country as well. "He was such a nice man!" would a neighbor say. Guess what, pedophiles for the most time don't look and act like monsters, nor are they any more likely to be 'old & dirty'. Bottom line: is the restof the world "indifferent" too?

Especially given the native's infamous inquisitive nature when it comes to the lives of other people. Media reports of these men getting busted are often accompanied by neighbour accounts of children hanging around the perpetrator's house all the time and the pedo always surrounding himself with children. Which often makes me wonder why nobody thought to report it sooner?

Because it's not a crime to be nice with children. Pedos by and large are very nice to children. They see themselves as a child's greatest friend, and then in their own mind somehow extend this to sexuality.

Where else in the world do certainly tens, quite plausibly hundreds of thousands, of foreign tourists travel to for sexual gratification in whatever form suits them? Brazil, India, Cambodia and Mexico cater to much of this trade but the market leader remains the LOS.

All countries have prostitution and all countries have paedophiles, who are found in every social class and occupation, but obviously concentrated in areas with ready access to children such as teaching and religion. What sets apart Thailand is the industrial scale of the abuse and its ability to function with little interference by law enforcement.

Prostitution as the "world's oldest profession" has always been present in Thailand but the Vietnam War era catapaulted it into the industrial league, servicing the 50,000 US troops based in Thailand and the hundreds of thousands "de-pressurizing" here before heading back to Vietnam or home.

Cultural pressures underscored by Buddhism's view of women being inferior and having a functional role to play for men, exacerbate the tolerance of and indifference to the sex industry. This, together with the levels of poverty and inequality in northern and north-eastern areas, provides the children and women for the industry, coupled with an ingrained sense of duty that providing for one's family, by whatever means, makes merit for the next life.

But the key feature is the fact that child abuse is an integral part of a multi-billion $ industry (some respectable estimates put it at least 5% of Thailand's GDP), particularly driven by the fact that up to a third of Thailand's prostitute are HIV positive (another hidden little detail of the business, can't put off the punters can we), so child sex enables users to think they are getting a "cleaner" option.

The amount of money involved and the active participation of politicians and law enforcement personnel ensures that the laws against prostitution (BTW both the initial 1960 Act and the subsequent 1996 Prevention and Suppression of Prostitution Act were a result of foreign pressure; obviously more of that farang interfering do-gooderism) are rarely enforced.

It seems there is recurring theme on this thread of NGO bashing and criticism of do-gooders. While I would be the first person to be sceptical of missionaries, whether religious or social crusaders, and I fully accept that abuse is found in these fields, show me any business, industry or occupation that does not have its fair share of wasters, coasters and self-important prigs. Perhaps if we look in the mirror we might not always see perfection in our good selves.

At least these people are doing something and not just excusing what they see and excusing inaction as "its a cultural thing", "I'm a foreigner it's not my business", "it's all too big/scary/difficult".

Slavery was central to many economies and industries 200 years ago, but has been largely eradicated as opinions were mobilised against it and laws passed and enforced. What was the norm became unacceptable. Industrial child abuse in Thailand will eventually go the same way if enough people decide that change has to happen.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Prostitution as the "world's oldest profession" has always been present in Thailand but the Vietnam War era catapaulted it into the industrial league, servicing the 50,000 US troops based in Thailand and the hundreds of thousands "de-pressurizing" here before heading back to Vietnam or home.

But the key feature is the fact that child abuse is an integral part of a multi-billion $ industry (some respectable estimates put it at least 5% of Thailand's GDP), particularly driven by the fact that up to a third of Thailand's prostitute are HIV positive (another hidden little detail of the business, can't put off the punters can we), so child sex enables users to think they are getting a "cleaner" option.

Same old BS

Firstly, prostitution in Thailand is nothing to do with Americans and the Vietnam war.

It's always been a way of life here and is mainly domestic driven.

Secondly, hardly any of the Thai prostitutes have HIV, I have taken several for testing, they never used condoms, none were HIV positive. (same for several other guys I know)

One of the biggest fabrications of the western world (which doesn't want men to have easy access to sex) is to lie about the prevalence of disease in sex workers.

HIV is VERY hard to catch.

Let me tell you a little story

In the UK I mixed with gay people in London ...... HIV and AIDS was rife, many of my friends died or were dying.

In Thailand I mix with prostitutes ....... I know of none with HIV or AIDs, I know none who have died.

Just my personal experiences.

Edited by sarahsbloke

Sarahsbloke wrote: Same old BS

Obviously referring to your own comments. And this from the guy who on the same thread was saying 4 days ago

This really a topic that has nothing to do with an expat forum.

What Thais get up to is totally out of our control.

Posting it in this forum is just a waste of everyones time.

and;

If you believe this to be a positive and constructive discussion, what do suggest the TV readers do ...... apart from blow some hot air.

This appears to me just another excuse for Thai bashing. Something specifically against forum rules.

So you were saying that we should turn a blind eye to child abuse, avoid debating the issue as it might offend local sensibilities, and to cap it all it might get TV in trouble. To date this post has generated 91 replies and 3104 viewings, so obviously not everyone shares your point of view and you also seem to be keen to return to a topic which you so disparaged.

Sarahsbloke wrote: Firstly, prostitution in Thailand is nothing to do with Americans and the Vietnam war.

Read what I wrote; "Prostitution as the "world's oldest profession" has always been present in Thailand but the Vietnam War era catapaulted it into the industrial league". The Vietnam era changed the scale of prostitution here , not create it. Also do you not accept the fact that Thailand is a major destination for sex tourism for both western and Asian clientele and thus is very different to the vast majority of other countries. No great secret.

Sarahsbloke wrote: Secondly, hardly any of the Thai prostitutes have HIV, I have taken several for testing, they never used condoms, none were HIV positive. (same for several other guys I know)

One of the biggest fabrications of the western world (which doesn't want men to have easy access to sex) is to lie about the prevalence of disease in sex workers.

In the UK I mixed with gay people in London ...... HIV and AIDS was rife, many of my friends died or were dying.

In Thailand I mix with prostitutes ....... I know of none with HIV or AIDs, I know none who have died.

Hardly the most scientific sampling of data (especially given the fact that there are approximately 200-300,000 prostitutes in Thailand; estimates vary from 70,000 to 2 million), and from that you can boldly make the claim that "hardly any of the Thai prostitutes have HIV". Ironically Thailand has avoided a total HIV epidemic due to the success of the condom campaign and HIV has largely been an issue in northern areas of Thailand where a reluctance to use condoms and a higher prevalence of anal sex has produced a situation similar to Botswana in Africa (but mercifully not on the same scale). Recent data suggests that Chiang Rai has a disproportionately high degree of HIV cases. Data from 2008 highlights that since the first case of HIV/AIDS was reported in Thailand in 1984, 1,115,415 adults have been infected. Of this number 585,830 have died of AIDS while 532,522 adults are suffering from HIV or AIDS. New infections affected 12,787 adults and children in 2008.

The figures for the UK are a little different. Around 86,500 people were living with HIV in the UK at the end of 2009; In 2010, there were 6,136 new cases giving a total of 114,766 since 1980 and 19,912 people diagnosed with HIV have died.

Facts are a great antidote to BS.

As for your comment about the "biggest fabrications of the western world (which doesn't want men to have easy access to sex)", this is just downright weird. Who does not want western men to have easy access to sex? Why? How do they manage this?

Can we get back to the key topic concerning child abuse in CM....

Edited by folium

...... HIV and AIDS was rife, many of my friends died or were dying.

In Thailand I mix with prostitutes ....... I know of none with HIV or AIDs,

Lol....slight contra there bloke.....

Many a thai orphanage may disagree with you.

Same old BS

Firstly, prostitution in Thailand is nothing to do with Americans and the Vietnam war.

Secondly, hardly any of the Thai prostitutes have HIV, I have taken several for testing, they never used condoms, none were HIV positive. (same for several other guys I know)

B.S. the rate of HIV infection among prostitutes is very high. There are over 500,000 HIV infected people in Thailand. I don't know how many of those are prostitutes but it is estimated that about 20% of prostitutes in Bangkok are HIV+.

I spent 3 nights in Nakhon Ping government hospital many years ago. My ward was around 1/3 full of later-stage AIDS patients. My nurse told me most of the transmissions were through intravenous drug use and the sharing of needles.

You clearly missed life in the surrounding more rural districts around Chiang Mai during the 1990s when most sub-districts (tambons)were experiencing weekly funerals related to AIDS deaths. Given the right circumstances, AIDS is clearly transmitted with great ease, either by sexual encounter or by the sharing of needles. The shift from heroin to meth is probably the largest factor in the drop in AIDS incidences up north with the second factor being the closing of many of the more notorious brothels catering to the local clientele.

Same old BS

You might benefit from reading the following very informative article:

www.avert.org - Thailand AIDS and HIV

Still B.S?

The friends and relatives I know of prostitutes who have died from HIV in Chiang Mai could provide you considerable enlightenment on this subject. So could the many I know who are living with HIV.

• 2 weeks later...

I hate Thai bashing, but sweeping problems like this under the rug doesn't help this situation either.

I'm not sure where the "Thai bashing" thing comes from. There is nothing on this thread I've seen attacking Thai's, or condemning their behaviour. Only posts pointing out the way things are here and the issues related to that.

This is a difficult subject with no easy answers, it's only by rational discussion and raising awareness that things will eventually change.

It is a fine thing to sell your daughter and any society where this is common is a good place. Please don't bash them.

I hate Thai bashing, but sweeping problems like this under the rug doesn't help this situation either.

I'm not sure where the "Thai bashing" thing comes from. There is nothing on this thread I've seen attacking Thais, or condemning their behaviour. Only posts pointing out the way things are here and the issues related to that.

This is a difficult subject with no easy answers, it's only by rational discussion and raising awareness that things will eventually change.

It is a fine thing to sell your daughter and any society where this is common is a good place. Please don't bash them.

I don't agree AT ALL with the generality of the last paragraph, but I agree that one should not bash Thailand. For things to change, things need to change in large and small ways.

I don't think the reality of the"darker side" has so much to do with Thailand as it does with abysmally "poor"countries which have great inequity in income levels, at best, or just very poor countries. That is true of Thailand as it is true of some other countries in SE Asia. There are other contributing factors, unfortunately. Like the farang factor. I wince when a small child comes up to me in a restaurant at 10PM in a restaurant to sell me some flowers. There is a lot worse going on.

I regret to say here (a forum almost completely populated by foreigners) that there are too many foreigners in Thailand with abnormal sexual appetites who apparently come to feed on poor people here. It is not the only country where this occurs, of course. Indeed, such behavior is appalling to all caring people of any country. Everywhere, unfortunately, also has its "underworld" of tastes, and a Thai sense of tolerance might indeed seem to permit such hormonal or behavioral excesses among foreigners.

If anyone here is serious about doing something about this problem, then there are indeed Thai officials and others to talk to. They need farang "undercover" people to help alleviate the problem. But don"t just go in expecting a jolly welcome because you have a "good heart." You had better have some straight-forward credentials ("visa players"need not apply, and you had better have a "clean record!"),expect to be distrusted, also expect late and hard work that will probably be emotionally draining. Have the appropriate disposition to be effective, and be willing to undergo training. Not an easy business. Not all volunteers accepted.

Check it out. Ask around, too, to find missionaries (yep!) working the streets late without selling Jesus. Not all are farang driving SUVs and as (the urban myth has it) always pigging out at The Dukes. If you are uncompromisingly anticlerical, you don't get it! And you won't get what some good people are trying to do regardless of religious preference.

Edited by Mapguy

May I suggest that we stick to what we can control because we Farang cannot control Thai culture.

It is a criminal offense for a UK national to travel overseas to procure children for sexual purposes. Anyone caught doing so will be prosecuted in the UK and there was a case in the UK recently where an individual had procured Hill Tribe children for sexual purposes. He had recorded the event, and the police were able to convict that individual as he had a blemish on his hand that identified him as the perpetrator. Literally, caught by his own hand, as he had videoed his hand interfering with pre-teen children.

I have only once seen a situation in Chiang Mai that I thought was highly suspect. This encounter was in broad daylight and in a respectable hotel. I saw a British national, ( I briefly spoke to him ) in the company of a lady around 25 years of age and a young girl of around 12 / 13. The behaviour of the child was unusual and uncomfortable. The British national claimed that the girl was the cousin of the lady, he seemed determined to let me know that, and that made me even more suspicious.

Who would I call in this situation? The Tourist police? The British Consulate? The Thai police? The Hotel Management? Or no one?

To para-phrase, All it takes for evil to prosper is for good men to turn a blind eye.

Maybe some good and worthy Thai visa member could indicate what to do, and who to contact. Once we have a satisfactory and agreeable answer I would suggest that answer should be pinned.

I have only once seen a situation in Chiang Mai that I thought was highly suspect. This encounter was in broad daylight and in a respectable hotel. I saw a British national, ( I briefly spoke to him ) in the company of a lady around 25 years of age and a young girl of around 12 / 13. The behaviour of the child was unusual and uncomfortable. The British national claimed that the girl was the cousin of the lady, he seemed determined to let me know that, and that made me even more suspicious.

Who would I call in this situation? The Tourist police? The British Consulate? The Thai police? The Hotel Management? Or no one?

If the encounter made you so suspicious, maybe you should have done something about it then? Maybe a bit late reporting it now?

Edited by Contractor

If the encounter made you so suspicious, maybe you should have done something about it then? Maybe a bit late reporting it now?

Fair point, now maybe you can answer the question.......

Edited by theblether

If you are in Thailand and you suspect a criminal offence involving a Thai national, then I would think that your first port of call is the local Thai police.

Edited by Contractor

http://www.thegreyman.org/

If you are in Thailand and you suspect a criminal offence involving a Thai national, then I would think that your first port of call is the local Thai police.

and the Thai police will see an opportunity to extort money from the person you suspect. they may even spin it around (if the suspect pays enough) to slap it back into your face.

you could tell a farang tourist policeman but that's a little like telling the toilet cleaner at the hospital about your in-growing toenail.

Edited by Loaded

and the Thai police will see an opportunity to extort money from the person you suspect. they may even spin it around (if the suspect pays enough) to slap it back into your face.

If it was pedophillia involving a Thai national you would likely be signing your own death warrant reporting it to the local police. :ermm: Who do you think runs that business? If it's a Thai national safe options are limited, report it to your National Embassy maybe, or anonymously to one of the NGOs who can feed the information to specialist, non local police units that might do something.

In the case of a Farang perperator, walking in to your local police station and have them write the complaint in their log I suspect will be equally ineffectual and may place you in some danger. If you know any senior police officers (Captain or above) you trust, you could ask them if they are interested in the information. If they can get an "exclusive" that looks good on their record they may actually do the job properly with the suspect arrested and paraded in front of the cameras for maximum Kudos to the BIB, rather than extort money then let him go.

Otherwise, for a Farang, report it to their national embassy or maybe use your lawyer as a go between to report it to the Police (If you have the right lawyer and relationship with them).

If it was pedophillia involving a Thai national you would likely be signing your own death warrant reporting it to the local police. :ermm: Who do you think runs that business? If it's a Thai national safe options are limited, report it to your National Embassy maybe, or anonymously to one of the NGOs who can feed the information to specialist, non local police units that might do something.

In the case of a Farang perperator, walking in to your local police station and have them write the complaint in their log I suspect will be equally ineffectual and may place you in some danger. If you know any senior police officers (Captain or above) you trust, you could ask them if they are interested in the information. If they can get an "exclusive" that looks good on their record they may actually do the job properly with the suspect arrested and paraded in front of the cameras for maximum Kudos to the BIB, rather than extort money then let him go.

Otherwise, for a Farang, report it to their national embassy or maybe use your lawyer as a go between to report it to the Police (If you have the right lawyer and relationship with them).

Thanks, I believe that is a realistic take on the situation.

On my original post I wrote who should I call? In the UK I know that if I reported a suspicion to the police they would act with utmost urgency. It may well be that my suspicions were unfounded, as a suspicion is merely that.

I also stated that we cannot control Thai culture, in saying that we can / could make it more difficult for Westerners to exploit Thai children.

However sitting in Thailand I think we are all aware that we can easily put our foot in it. I think it would be handy if there was a confidential " Hotline " to a trustworthy agency in regards to this subject. The UK police do show great interest in these type's of reports, I have no doubt that the police of other Western countries equally so.

Shine a light in the dark corners, and see what scurries out.

rolleyes.gif Should Chiang Mai NGO's be responsible for False Accusations to obtain Grants and funding by Donations...Hmmm They cost me 25000.00 U.S. Dollars...By False Accusations...They did not do their Home Work.......The question is? how much?, they should reimburse me.......Because I am innocent of all their accusations........

However sitting in Thailand I think we are all aware that we can easily put our foot in it. I think it would be handy if there was a confidential " Hotline " to a trustworthy agency in regards to this subject. The UK police do show great interest in these type's of reports, I have no doubt that the police of other Western countries equally so.

I understand the UK's CEOP www.ceop.police.uk is very active in Thailand: Intenational Child Protection Network - ICPN Thailand From outside the UK visit Virtual Global Task Force - Report Abuse Or why not call CEOP for advice: Telephone: +44 (0)870 000 3344

One must be very careful when making such assumptions based on so little information. Reporting someone like in the instance above of being a "suspected pedophile" would be extremely irresponsible in my opinion. Who's to say he's possibly a pedophile? Because he's in Thailand? Because there was a child who was uncomfortable? Because the bloke said she was the lady's cousin? Hardly enough to jump to conclusions. Sounds like media induced paranoia to me. Maybe the guy himself felt paranoid about people jumping to conclusions about the situation so he felt the need to point out the relationship to the child? Reporting someone as a suspected pedophile is an extremely serious accusation. Not something to be done lightly.

I understand the UK's CEOP www.ceop.police.uk is very active in Thailand: Intenational Child Protection Network - ICPN Thailand From outside the UK visit Virtual Global Task Force - Report Abuse Or why not call CEOP for advice: Telephone: +44 (0)870 000 3344

Excellent information.....Thaivisa at it's best !! Thank you very much.

Do you have any idea how many children are kidnapped from their villages every year? 100's if not more....never to be seen again and where do you think they go?........into the child sex trade!

No ! Really ? I thought they were just dismembered for organ trafficking... instead they went to brothels ! Oh the horror !

you could tell a farang tourist policeman but that's a little like telling the toilet cleaner at the hospital about your in-growing toenail.

As usual Loaded the drivel coming out your mouth is exactly that utter drivel, and shows you have no idea what you are talking about where the TP is concerned.

FYI the people you are constantly slagging off are the ones on the front line fighting this sick problem and there are a couple of TP (farangs) who work undercover looking for PERVS but is good that you constantly slag them off as they leaves the perps thinking that they cant do anythng, when in fact these guys work with the UK police directly on these child cases and are contacted directly by the authorities for following those coming to Cm for the wrong purposes in conjunction with the thai TP.

As for who to contact if you see something,obviously the identity of these guys needs to be retained but any PM to me will put you in contact with these guys if you have something that needs attention

DK

Edited by DiamondKing