Carrying Knives Against Soi Dogs, Not In Urban Areas

gravion

hello peeps, im starting to have this mortal kombat contestant feeling when im just looking down on the street walking, suddenly these packs of dogs panting, wagging its tails and howling and shit and coming at me.... man i almost crap in my pants...

ive had around 3-4 encounters while my stay in thailand, but i have a feeling it is a point for me to carry some defensive weapons, sharp with less effort to use them...

btw its not in urban areas, small surburbs etc..

man those actions seems really like be in a movie man...

when i encounter these monsters, i usually go back where i came from, but these bastards keep coming after me.

some dogs are like really mutated, like the one u see on zombie movies... like their skins are ripped and all these different colours on their skin... some are losing hairs and stuff and got these weird eyes and some dont have eyes... are they being mamed by thais...?

this is at industrial areas..

on other note, if their blood gets in my mouth, eyes or from their bites, im prolly be mutated as well right...?

it takes like an hour or less to get to the near by hospital..

im gonna look into those 100baht shops for butterfly knife or extendable batons, but this stuff is heavy

Simple, find a young Thai guy, (looks like a good runner) and offer him a job…..Get his phone No, bell him to be at your house when you want to go out, rub his legs down with bacon fat, chicken fat would work, and send him off….. At a rate of knots in the opposite direction you want to go……..Job dome.

Edited by Tonto21

man those actions seems really like be in a movie man...

when i encounter these monsters, i usually go back where i came from, but these bastards keep coming after me.

some dogs are like really mutated, like the one u see on zombie movies... like their skins are ripped and all these different colours on their skin... some are losing hairs and stuff and got these weird eyes and some dont have eyes... are they being mamed by thais...?

this is at industrial areas..

on other note, if their blood gets in my mouth, eyes or from their bites, im prolly be mutated as well right...?

it takes like an hour or less to get to the near by hospital..

im gonna look into those 100baht shops for butterfly knife or extendable batons, but this stuff is heavy

Certainly need to be weary of rabies..

Yeah right, exactly what you should do to get bitten. Dogs can smell fear and that is the most likely time you will be bitten. Just stand still if they come towards you, don't run, don't turn your back and just move slowly away.

Bad idea. If you're close enough to use a knife on them they're close enough to bite you.

Bad idea. If you're close enough to use a knife on them they're close enough to bite you.

Long ago when I lived in Bangkok and when I ran a lot I carried a small squirt gun with Prikinu, (fish sauce with ground Thai cilies) after crushing and mixing , strain the pepper bits our.

You need a good squirt gun, if it leaks it's a mess.

When the dogs chased me I squirted them either in the eyes or ass. After the dogs in the problem areas were squirted I never had the problems with them again.

There is no permanent damage to the dog, but he will not bother you again.

yes i reckon staying away and not getting involved is the best... but these monsters suddenly appear from the corners, also they have a rader range as far as from the other side of the crossing... the actually come and cross the road.. what the hell man....weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ but i will most likely will not caryy a knife around, i will most likely use that knife to vandalize a car who've done me bad!!! during rainy days....

whats up with the dude with da fish sauce gun??? lol

yes i reckon staying away and not getting involved is the best... but these monsters suddenly appear from the corners, also they have a rader range as far as from the other side of the crossing... the actually come and cross the road.. what the hell man....weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ but i will most likely will not caryy a knife around, i will most likely use that knife to vandalize a car who've done me bad!!! during rainy days....

whats up with the dude with da fish sauce gun??? lol

Just tell them that you know some very influential people, and they'll leave you alone. Ask them if they know who your father is.

I would not recommend the suggestion about employing someone covered in lard to run in the opposite direction; on the contrary, ask a big lard-arsed bloke to accompany you; so long as you can run faster than him, who cares about the dogs?

SC

My friend who is a former mailman swears by the taser, one of those 500-1000baht things sold all over the place. He hasn't actually zap a dog yet. Just the "unearthly" sound scares them off.

Pepper spray is good too, but be careful about the wind.

If you have access to Truetelevision you can see now every Wednesday at 9 p.m. how "Cesar" The Dog Whisperer handles difficult and/or aggressive dogs (National Geographic channel)

I also was always scared to walk in streets with fiercely barking dogs but I learned a few tricks from this TV program :

a) do not look them into the eyes and put your nose in the air

B) try to keep your distance (walk other side of the street)

c) in my case, to comfort myself, I go out with a walking stick...just in case :rolleyes:

Believe me it works : the dogs seem to accept that I am in charge and not them.

As I walk always in the same streets those dogs seem now to ignore me although one or two still show off with a howl

If you have access to Truetelevision you can see now every Wednesday at 9 p.m. how "Cesar" The Dog Whisperer handles difficult and/or aggressive dogs (National Geographic channel)

I also was always scared to walk in streets with fiercely barking dogs but I learned a few tricks from this TV program :

a) do not look them into the eyes and put your nose in the air

B) try to keep your distance (walk other side of the street)

c) in my case, to comfort myself, I go out with a walking stick...just in case :rolleyes:

Believe me it works : the dogs seem to accept that I am in charge and not them.

As I walk always in the same streets those dogs seem now to ignore me although one or two still show off with a howl

Was like the OP, did not know how to handle aggressive soi dogs...but since Cesar Millan of The Dog Whisperer fame, I have not had problems with any soi dogs. Now they just look at me, disinterested, when I walk by. If by chance some want to test my resolve and all of Cesar Millan's methods fail, the act of picking up a stone seems to scare them off as that action is apparently understood by soi dogs to mean "a missile will be launched at me in 2 seconds". And 99% of time, no need to even throw a stone! Good luck.

Animals actually CAN smell fear. If you truly are afraid, and the dogs really ARE nasty, then just carry a simple club-walking stick made of green bamboo. Cut a piece about a meter long and about 6 or 7 centimeters in diameter. Then put 2 screws in one end so the points stick out opposite sides from each other. You can kill a dog or a human with that weapon with one blow... so be careful. If you attack the dogs first then they will leave you alone after that. However, my best guess is the dogs are just curious and being friendly. I've never had problems with packs of dogs or single nasty ones. They instinctively know that I am more dangerous than they are and leave me alone.

Animals actually CAN smell fear. If you truly are afraid, and the dogs really ARE nasty, then just carry a simple club-walking stick made of green bamboo. Cut a piece about a meter long and about 6 or 7 centimeters in diameter. Then put 2 screws in one end so the points stick out opposite sides from each other. You can kill a dog or a human with that weapon with one blow... so be careful. If you attack the dogs first then they will leave you alone after that. However, my best guess is the dogs are just curious and being friendly. I've never had problems with packs of dogs or single nasty ones. They instinctively know that I am more dangerous than they are and leave me alone.

A good strategy to add the screws Ian, although I've found the plain bamboo method is usually enough to scare the buggers off.

There is a real nasty bast*rd who i reckon this will work a treat on. Even with the bamboo he will follow behind you scowling and hissing, ready to take a nip if your not watching.He seems to stir up all the other dogs that are usually well behaved which is not good.

One thing i I have wondered tho, being a lone farang in a suburban Thai area, would my carrying a club around be enough to attract the attention of the BiB who are always riding by on bikes?

Anyways, Funny thing is, no matter how hard i try to hide my "weapon" amongst the bushes in the vacant block next door to my appartment it is nearly ALWAYS gone the next time i go to use it :annoyed:

How many of the TV members actually walk around carrying sticks or clubs?

:o

Walking sticks, plenty.

ooh you mean fighting sticks. Sorry just read your post properly. :)

Never heard of the sauce spray before, sounds effective. I have found a large ground white pepper ‘herb’ jar slips in the pocket easily and also effective. The advantage of the water pistol filled with sauce is you can keep more of a distance.

I also found the white pepper is great at marking my boundary. Dogs sniff it and go away, cats just don’t like it on their paws. Keeps my garden intruder free.

You can always bring along you OWN pet for protection. I don't get bothered by dogs anymore.

Ian_and_boon_with_crocs.jpg

Unfortunately, they sometimes get a little TOO large and nobody wants to be around me.

Ian_sitting_on_croc.jpg

The problem with carrying a stick is that it is usually the very thing that starts the dogs off in the first place. I have walked down a particular soi near my home many times and the dogs totally ignore me. However, if I am carrying my fishing rods they turn aggresive. I put this down to the dogs having had encounters with stick carrying locals in the past. They see the rods and associate them with the sticks they have been beaten with before.

The dogs in my soi, are selective in who they taunt. I can play around with them and do every now and then, but there 4 or 5 people in the soi who the dogs hate and will threaten, if not attack. A couple of those people I have seen attacking the dogs with sticks before. As to the others, I know not the reason for the dogs' disdain thereof.

For those who can't help themselves and project fear everytime they come near soi dogs (a good name for a rock band by the way), a telescopic cosh would be ideal. It is small enough to keep in your pocket and you don't look a wally walking around the neighbourhood with a 3 or 4 foot piece of 2-by-4.

Good point, GaryP. Dogs DO recognize certain people they don't like. I seldom carry a stick because I get along with most dogs, and the ones who are nasty I can deal with in other ways. However, if there was a pack of dogs that MIGHT attack then I would carry a stick and probably make an attempt to kill one or more of them. You REALLY don't want to be around sled dogs in the Arctic and northern Canada. They WILL attack and kill strangers. That is why they are chained down.

Is this thread for real?

Yes the dog whisperer is good, but I ALWAYS look them in the eye and stay calm, then walk where I want to. Remember that soi dogs depend on humans, they won't bite you for no reason. They bark to tell they pack leader about a potential problem. if they're gonna bite you, why would they alert you to their presence by barking? They can't smell 'fear' they can smell adreniline. Look them in the eye and just walk through them. It always works for me.

Is this thread for real?

Yes the dog whisperer is good, but I ALWAYS look them in the eye and stay calm, then walk where I want to. Remember that soi dogs depend on humans, they won't bite you for no reason. They bark to tell they pack leader about a potential problem. if they're gonna bite you, why would they alert you to their presence by barking? They can't smell 'fear' they can smell adrenaline. Look them in the eye and just walk through them. It always works for me.

I have never been bitten by a dog even though I walk through many soi's with lots of dogs around. But I am not scared of them either. In fact, I do pat most dogs I see if they seem friendly. But you must be able to read their body language. I ride a motorcycle and have been chased by many dogs, but I know it is only because they see me as prey as I ride past. If you can't out run the dog and are on a collision course, you just need to stop and turn your bike off, the dog will then walk away. Try it, it really works.

Dogs do smell and sense fear. When you are frightened, many hormones are released and pumped through your body, adrenaline being one of them and then you sweat much more than normal. They can also read body language if they can see you.

I trained German Shepherds for over 20 years and in a lecture we had by the Victorian Police Dog Squad, they said if they have to attend a factory or car yard with an intruder, when they arrive, if they can't see anyone, they yell out DOG SQUAD! If someone is lurking around they become more frightened and then they release the dogs and they can find them much easier as the person will smell about 20 times as strong.

I would suggest not to stare into their eyes, which they can read as a threat.

I found a good link which will explain a lot more. http://canidaepetfoo...sense-fear.html

Edited by aussiebrian