Password For Linksys Wrt120N Router

tjansen

Accessing the Router's Web-Based Setup Page

The default IP address is 192.168.1.1.

Leave the user name field blank. The default password is "admin" without the quotes.

I just went to 192.168.1.1 and tried your suggestion, and the sign in block keeps popping back up asking for a username and password. I think the problem is that there is already a username and a password associated with this router. We know the username but we forgot the password.

Edited by tjansen

Leave the user name field blank. The default password is "admin" without the quotes.

I just went to 192.168.1.1 and tried your suggestion, and the sign in block keeps popping back up asking for a username and password. I think the problem is that there is already a username and a password associated with this router. We know the username but we forgot the password.

Do a hard reset...

Resetting the Linksys Router to Factory Default

If you have forgotten the username and password, the only thing you can do is do a factory reset. Press the small button in the hole on the back for 10 seconds.

Warning!

This will restore the router to factory default settings. You will have to re-enter all the settings given to you by your ISP and re-configure the Wi-Fi settings. If you have forgotten the previous Wi-Fi settings and enter new settings, then each computer that uses the Wi-Fi connection will have to be set to the new WiFi settings in order to connect.

Is the password not the phone number for the line being used????

Is the password not the phone number for the line being used????

I often see a lot of people get confused about this. There are three passwords involved. There is a password to gain access to the router settings (usually called admin account password), there is a password issued by the ISP (usually called the LAN password), and finally there is the password for a computer to log on to the WiFi (often called the access code).

By default, most routers usually use admin for the admin account password. But it can be changed.

Many ISPs use the phone number for the LAN password.

The access code for the Wi-Fi. can be anything.

Well, we accomplished the first step, which was our most urgent goal. We did the hard reset and can now, all three of us, get on the Internet. We are happy about that.

The next step, resetting the password, will probably have to wait. I seem to recall (and born out by the installation CD) that this step requires two ethernet cables, and we only have one. We are in somewhat of an isolated area. We spent about an hour trying to get it done using instructions from the Linksys site before realizing we probably need another cable.

Thanks a lot for that quick help on everybody's part. It got the job done.

I am actually leaving tomorrow, so my friend will be finishing the task at some later date, and I might be back on here asking for more help.

Tom

Edited by astral
No need to shout in a large type face