Conficated Bike

Even reputable bike companies use shortcuts on single registrations.

A serious question for you- would you ride an unregistered and uninsured vehicle on public roads in your home country?

Totally of topic but could not resist

Tony would you ride a bike as fast (on the road not track) in your home country as you do here and break the speed limits as often ?

Because you of all people should never preach.

Personally i would never ever ride an unregistered bike without insurance anywhere either here or in an other country.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A serious question for you- would you ride an unregistered and uninsured vehicle on public roads in your home country?

Tony would you ride a bike as fast (on the road not track) in your home country as you do here and break the speed limits as often ?

Personally i would never ever ride an unregistered bike without insurance anywhere either here or in an other country.

No matter how fast you ride in TH, the max fine is 1.000 baht limited by the Highwaycode

The consequense of riding a non road legal, non plated non insured bike is at worst in the 20 million baht range

No matter how fast you ride in TH, the max fine is 1.000 baht limited by the Highwaycode

The consequense of riding a non road legal, non plated non insured bike is at worst in the 20 million baht range

Let me change that for you

The consequense of having a accident and killing people on a non legal bike or legal bike at worse could be millions of baht. Even if your bike is legal and you kill one or more people your book and 3rd party aint going to save you.

Scare monger, still looking for all the 1000s of impounded bike that you say is going on with bike with invoice and excise tax paid, anyone find them yet :lol:

The consequense of having a accident and killing people on a non legal bike or legal bike at worse could be millions of baht. Even if your bike is legal and you kill one or more people your book and 3rd party aint going to save you.

Scare monger, still looking for all the 1000s of impounded bike that you say is going on with bike with invoice and excise tax paid, anyone find them yet :lol:

let me present some facts

a good 3rd party covers 10 million personal injury/death, its actually 10 x 1 million

5 million property

200k bailbond

reality is obviously hard for some, but some of us are able to relate to it

I am not trying to scare anyone. I want TV readers to know the facts to consider how to act and live.

I would be really pissed if I seek advice on plate subject and all I hear its risk free except for tea money, to discover it is a major risk. Financially and criminal charges.

Bs non plated accident in Petchbury cost him 2 million baht in cash and an impounded/lost HD worth 800k. Ultimately it cost him his life

To Chunky, one way to ride your bike is to Insure it and ride 30 days. Then later Insure it again and ride 30 days. This is presently how long you can stretch the law, without risking major problems

a good 3rd party covers 10 million personal injury/death, its actually 10 x 1 million

5 million property

200k bailbond

I am not trying to scare anyone. I want TV readers to know the facts to consider how to act and live.

I would be really pissed if I seek advice on plate subject and all I hear its risk free except for tea money, to discover it is a major risk. Financially and criminal charges.

Bs non plated accident in Petchbury cost him 2 million baht in cash and an impounded/lost HD worth 800k. Ultimately it cost him his life

To Chunky, one way to ride your bike is to Insure it and ride 30 days. Then later Insure it again and ride 30 days. This is presently how long you can stretch the law, without risking major problems

Most people I know that live in Thailand are teaching or are retired and cant afford or dont wish to buy good 3rd party on there bikes. so really how safe are they ? you dont need good 3rd party to be legal.

Also even if you are legal there is still a chance of you paying

5 million property

200k bailbond

As you have stated above you are still 10 million in the hole so unless you are well off you still stuffed.

5 million property

200k bailbond

Most people I know that live in Thailand are teaching or are retired and cant afford or dont wish to buy good 3rd party on there bikes. so really how safe are they ? you dont need good 3rd party to be legal.

Also even if you are legal there is still a chance of you paying

the less funds you have available, the more important to be properly Insured. 3-500 baht a month covers a bikers liability up to 10 million baht or so, exact prises at Thaivisainsurance.com

Most of us have strict Insurance requirements at very high prices in our homecountries, but when we live here we dont want to spend a few hundred baht a month to be safe, we settel for the compulsary which is almost for free and covers pennies only.

5 million property

200k bailbond

As you have stated above you are still 10 million in the hole so unless you are well off you still stuffed.

hard to get better Insurance here, and not that likely to cause property damage above 5 million baht. 15.200.000 baht covered isnt that bad, and problems to see your calculations making me 10 million baht short

Jeez, I have asked a lot of questions before and a lot of you currently posting have told me that you have had and driven invoice bikes. Stop patronizing me and pretending like Thailand is the same as your home countries....it's not. Would I drive an invoice bike back home? No....But would you pick up 18 year old hookers, cruise around on Fatboy Harleys, get big tattoo's if you were in your home country? I didn't think so.

All I wanted was some reasonable advice on *making my motorbike legal*, sorry for stirring up such a pot of sh1t <_<

I now know, in hindsight, that my purchase probably wasn't the best..but I had big plans on getting a book...unfortunately, it's hard to get past people that think their contacts are such big secrets and idiotic responses.

May I also note...this bike has been used mostly on a closed track (only occasionally to and from), so I'm not going to kill any Thai women and daughters, nor crash through any buildings that require 20million baht damage repairs and compensation. It's surprising how fast people jump to conclusions and start there ramblings :huh:

May I also note...this bike has been used mostly on a closed track (only occasionally to and from), so I'm not going to kill any Thai women and daughters, nor crash through any buildings that require 20million baht damage repairs and compensation. It's surprising how fast people jump to conclusions and start there ramblings :huh:

Your original question was, "can it be confiscated" Yes it can

and I have added

can it bring you into major problems. Yes it can

Can you register it legally? No, imported as parts it must pass todays 2011 emission requirements, and only California and Euro IV spec do. Even bikes like 2010/2011 Kawasaki zr10 must be modified/detuned to be sold new homoleg in TH

Can it be registered/ Yes, but so far no one wants to in public recomend anyone doing it dodgy. Read more on this Forum, and you will notice people have payed and never recieved books, payed and recieved recycled Honda Wave books and so on. If that is what you want, there is at least one operator in each town in Thailand providing this. Had a laugh when we studied a friends cbr400rr book. one cylinder 400cc :lol: :lol:

What more do you want?

Yes you can get the bike booked and plated, take it back to imported or the shop that sold it and ask. If you are in the North east or Chang mai area I can send you to a couple of shops that may help you. I have always got the green book from the importer of the bike.

If you really want it done just find a good bike shop and start asking, whos name is on the import papers ? Where do you live?

Really pretty simple, and dont worry about the emissions test.

5 million property

200k bailbond

Perhaps if you're too poor to purchase decent insurance you should ride the bus? :rolleyes::whistling::lol:

Max fine for speeding in the Land of Smiles is 1000 Baht and most I've ever actually paid is 200 Baht, so yeah, I don't worry about it much.

Back home 20 over means jail... :ph34r:

Gotta LOVE Thailand!

Ride On!

T

No scare mongering. Statement of facts. Well documented crack downs occur periodically all over Thailand. Dave U from GT Rider went over and took pictures and wrote the following report:

Copied from the GT Rider site:

Bikes are chained up at the Highway Police HQs on the super highway by the Poy Luang Intersection.

I counted 66 bikes - big & small. Anything without a plate they are taking & say they will continue to do so.

Once they've "got them all"

1. They will check the serial numbers against a lit of stolen ones

2. The Customs will come & assess the duty.

3. Duty has to be paid "for the lot" - no individual deals / releases (hard to believe this will happen in practice.)

4. Then the bikes will be released to be registered. But I'm not sure if you can then start riding your bike on the road again, or it has to be registered in Bkk first, then you can ride it on the road once more.

They claim it has nothing to do with the Pattaya crack down (hard to believe they are just pure co-incidence).

The legality of seizing an "unregistered vehicle" on private property might be questionable, perhaps??

But speaking to the BIB it is going to be quite a few weeks before "the mess" is cleaned up & the bikes released.

AND they want them "all" - any unregistered bike, note the trials bikes in the pictures!

486059964_djzQk-M.jpg

486059940_4X7F3-M.jpg

486059845_N9JZh-M.jpg

486059874_wp8gt-M.jpg

486059930_htLkF-M.jpg

486059988_LcUV2-M.jpg

486059873_Tsi62-M.jpg

486059911_KKB7y-M.jpg

486059889_xtfM6-M.jpg

Someone's pride & joy

486059933_9d3Rj-M.jpg

got locked up for the night

486059985_8VU9W-M.jpg

at least they care.

486059967_STgTy-M.jpg

486059968_xNTtP-M.jpg

Edited by BigBikeBKK

5 million property

200k bailbond

Perhaps if you're too poor to purchase decent insurance you should ride the bus? :rolleyes::whistling::lol:

I have insurance as well as enough Vehicles to drive a different one each day of the week :lol:

No scare mongering. Statement of facts. Well documented crack downs occur periodically all over Thailand. Dave U from GT Rider went over and took pictures and wrote the following report:

Copied from the GT Rider site:

Bikes are chained up at the Highway Police HQs on the super highway by the Poy Luang Intersection.

I counted 66 bikes - big & small. Anything without a plate they are taking & say they will continue to do so.

Once they've "got them all"

1. They will check the serial numbers against a lit of stolen ones

2. The Customs will come & assess the duty.

3. Duty has to be paid "for the lot" - no individual deals / releases (hard to believe this will happen in practice.)

4. Then the bikes will be released to be registered. But I'm not sure if you can then start riding your bike on the road again, or it has to be registered in Bkk first, then you can ride it on the road once more.

They claim it has nothing to do with the Pattaya crack down (hard to believe they are just pure co-incidence).

The legality of seizing an "unregistered vehicle" on private property might be questionable, perhaps??

But speaking to the BIB it is going to be quite a few weeks before "the mess" is cleaned up & the bikes released.

AND they want them "all" - any unregistered bike, note the trials bikes in the pictures!

486059964_djzQk-M.jpg

486059940_4X7F3-M.jpg

486059845_N9JZh-M.jpg

486059874_wp8gt-M.jpg

486059930_htLkF-M.jpg

486059988_LcUV2-M.jpg

486059873_Tsi62-M.jpg

486059911_KKB7y-M.jpg

486059889_xtfM6-M.jpg

Someone's pride & joy

486059933_9d3Rj-M.jpg

got locked up for the night

486059985_8VU9W-M.jpg

at least they care.

486059967_STgTy-M.jpg

486059968_xNTtP-M.jpg

All these pictures are from ages ago when they did the crack down on excise tax and once the tax was paid and if there invoice were corret the bikes were returned to the owner :lol: Nice try not all of us came down in the last shower :jap:

5 million property

200k bailbond

I have insurance as well as enough Vehicles to drive a different one each day of the week :lol:

Aren't you the guy riding around on an unregistered bike? Sure, the insurance company will be happy to accept your premiums, but good luck if you ever have to make a claim. :rolleyes:

5 million property

200k bailbond

Aren't you the guy riding around on an unregistered bike? Sure, the insurance company will be happy to accept your premiums, but good luck if you ever have to make a claim. :rolleyes:

Yes I do own some unregistered bikes, but also have registered bikes and after you posting the pictures ubove show you have no real idea or what we are even talking about so lets get back to that.

You agree with Kata that 1000s of bike with excise tax paid and correct import papers are being confiscated and is well documented, please show us :lol: , But dont worry about it if you cant which I know you cant because it is BS :jap:

All these pictures are from ages ago when they did the crack down on excise tax and once the tax was paid and if there invoice were corret the bikes were returned to the owner :lol: Nice try not all of us came down in the last shower :jap:

Ages ago? No, not really... This is a report of just one of the many crackdowns. Similar crackdowns have occurred in Hua Hin, Pattaya, Udon, etc and they are ongoing. Why don't you READ the report I posted above? The days of riding unplated invoice only bikes in Thailand are coming to an end. Get yourself legal or risk losing your bike. Simple enough. Happy Trails! T

Ages ago? No, not really... This is a report of just one of the many crackdowns. Similar crackdowns have occurred in Hua Hin, Pattaya, Udon, etc and they are ongoing. Why don't you READ the report I posted above? The days of riding unplated invoice only bikes in Thailand are coming to an end. Get yourself legal or risk losing your bike. Simple enough. Happy Trails! T

Yes the days on invoice/excise bikes are coming to the end that I agree but right now they are not confiscating bike with legit import papers and excise tax as you claim :D So please show me someone that has lost a legal imported bike with excise tax paid, You cant can you :lol:

Two years is a long time :rolleyes:

Here is a statement by one of the head police on the last page of GT riders thread

" As for unregistered bikes he said, 'These are not legal, in the past we weren't sure if by taking the bikes we'd affect tourism, but now we are enforcing this rule.' Chiang Mai police will take all unregistered bikes off the streets, to get them back you'll have to pay the tax.

So please show me all the conviscated bikes :lol:

Edited by Shocktreatment

This is exactly what I was asking in the begging, thanks Shocktreatment. If you've paid the excise tax, they will release the bike and not keep it in lock up? (permitting you're not in an accident or anything)

I dont know of anyone that has had the bike locked up and confiscated having both import and excise tax paid, I guess others here havent as well or they would have posted it.

This is exactly what I was asking in the begging, thanks Shocktreatment. If you've paid the excise tax, they will release the bike and not keep it in lock up? (permitting you're not in an accident or anything)

True until the new plate law came into effect last year. Now they impound any vehicle been on the road for more than 30 days/3k km since Insurance was made first time. redplated or non plated

Boys in brown still seem to prefere tea money, Boys in black (organised crime unit) do not issue fines. they impound and some get arrested

Let us see it from another view. What would be the point for a country to plate bikes at all if it had no consequenses to ride unplated?

Want to see some? Go to any auction ;)

True until the new plate law came into effect last year. Now they impound any vehicle been on the road for more than 30 days/3k km since Insurance was made first time. redplated or non plated

Boys in brown still seem to prefere tea money, Boys in black (organised crime unit) do not issue fines. they impound and some get arrested

Let us see it from another view. What would be the point for a country to plate bikes at all if it had no consequenses to ride unplated?

The consequenses are a fine unless of course you have a accident, As for the new law that the police didnt even know of when I asked last month and no one else has heard about except for you :lol: it could be be true but it isnt inforced, as news like that will spread like wild fire, As I said if they were confiscating bike with correct import papers and excise tax I would have lost some of my bikes in about three road blocks as well as the two car loads of taxs guys that have been to my workshop a few times. As well as the time they were waiting for me in the morning at a hotel.

Showed my invoice and excise paper, No problem at all.

And now you are saying people with import papers and excise tax paid are losing their bikes and arrested, I really think we would be hearing about this if it was happening.

You make me laugh Kaatabeachbum :D

The consequenses are a fine unless of course you have a accident, As for the new law that the police didnt even know of when I asked last month and no one else has heard about except for you :lol: it could be be true but it isnt inforced, as news like that will spread like wild fire, As I said if they were confiscating bike with correct import papers and excise tax I would have lost some of my bikes in about three road blocks as well as the two car loads of taxs guys that have been to my workshop a few times. As well as the time they were waiting for me in the morning at a hotel.

And now you are saying people with import papers and excise tax paid are losing their bikes and arrested, I really think we would be hearing about this if it was happening.

keep on laughing :D

will take pictures next time boys in black are out impounding

they even wanted to take my legally plated,

post-81971-0-29640100-1306752805_thumb.j

as I didnt have copy book with me. A phone call to a hot shot stopped them

happy riding

keep on laughing :D

will take pictures next time boys in black are out impounding

they even wanted to take my legally plated,

post-81971-0-29640100-1306752805_thumb.j

as I didnt have copy book with me. A phone call to a hot shot stopped them

happy riding

Where was that Kata ? in Phuket as you know different kettle of fish there.

I would of thought you of all people being a expert and all would know better than to ride around with out your paper work, :jap: