New Phuket Bridge To Open Next Week

webfact

New Phuket bridge to open next week

phuket-1-10366eoyXVQYmaZqZNYVJqDAbhOgMFM.jpg

The finishing touches, such as the marking out of lanes, are now underway.

phuket-4-10366JkwQebfEKIcBUpKeSMOZZYpXLh.jpg

Signs notifying drivers of the coming change will be erected near the bridges.

PHUKET: -- The new bridge connecting Phuket with Phang Nga will be open to traffic next week as planned, the Phuket Provincial Highways Office (PPHO) announced.

Known as the “Sarasin Bridge 2” throughout the construction phase, the new roadway will be known officially as the Srisoonthorn Bridge.

“The new bridge is about 94 per cent complete and the construction contract ends on June 20,” Arun Sanae, director of the PPHO said.

“After that, Italian-Thai Development construction company will transfer the bridge to us,” he said.

Once open, the new bridge will be used by traffic heading northbound off the island. Southbound traffic heading onto the island will use the existing two-lane bridge, Mr Arun said.

In the meantime, the contractors will continue to complete small details such as the marking of lanes, he added.

Temporary signs notifying drivers of the coming change will be erected near the bridges soon.

“The official opening will occur toward the end of the year. After the ceremony, the bridge will be known as Srisoonthorn Bridge, a name provided to us by the Royal Family at our request,” Mr Arun said.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2011-05-27

I am curious as to why a new bridge is needed if the Sarasin Bridge is still perfectly serviceable. Is there really enough traffic to need a separate bridge for north and south bound vehicles ?

It is a dual Highway, and the new bridge replaces one of the old ones. So not really an upgrade, just a replacement of one of the bridges

I was curious where they got Srisoonthorn from. Turns out it's the name of the temple north of Heroines Monument that has the giant golden reclining Buddha.

http://phuket101.blo...et-temples.html

Actually Srisoonthorn was the name of one of the two sisters who apparently fought off the invading Burmese .

The other birdge carries the name of the other sister Thepkasattri. already,

The Heroines monument exists to celebrate the defeat of Burma by the ladies......:jap:

I am curious as to why a new bridge is needed if the Sarasin Bridge is still perfectly serviceable. Is there really enough traffic to need a separate bridge for north and south bound vehicles ?

It is a dual Highway, and the new bridge replaces one of the old ones. So not really an upgrade, just a replacement of one of the bridges

Wasn't the new bridge needed because the old one was too low to allow some boats passing underneath?

Wasn't the new bridge needed because the old one was too low to allow some boats passing underneath?

yepp, and concrete was getting sick/old, nice vibrations when 10 x 25 tons 18 wheelers where on it a 100 kmh ;)

old one still there in the picture in post #1, dont know when it will be removed

I guess that would be a real priority in this joint,,,380 million baht on a new bridge,just so a couple of boats can pass under...not as though there are no other real priorities to spend it on......:whistling:

I guess that would be a real priority in this joint,,,380 million baht on a bridge, ...not as though there are no other real priorities to spend it on......:whistling:

Is there any other Province in Thailand with +one million residents without a dual lane Highway access?

I have not been driving to one yet

Mr.Aroon Saneh, Director of a Department of Highways Phuket, pronounced a building a whole of Sarasin 2 Bridge, which will be used instead of Sarasin 1 Bridge, was 93% complete. The brand brand new overpass will be open upon Jul 20th 2011. In addition, an aged overpass will be renovated to be used as a perspective point.

4545064279_4ff1601be1_o.jpg?w=600&h=423

Phuket yachties will be pleased to know that a 300-million baht deal to build a new Sarasin Bridge includes raising the old bridge to give up to 10-meters' clearance beneath all three bridges.

The old Sarasin Bridge will become a car-free tourist attraction once construction of the third bridge is complete.

PS to OLD CROCK........[1]This is not my reporting, [2] this is not me trying to pull the wool over your eyes,[3] this is not from "the site that doesn't want to appear on TV' :jap:

Just some info on whats going on with the bridges...:D

I guess that would be a real priority in this joint,,,380 million baht on a bridge, ...not as though there are no other real priorities to spend it on......:whistling:

Is there any other Province in Thailand with +one million residents without a dual lane Highway access?

I have not been driving to one yet

Dont understand what you're on about here....

Your reply is totally irrelevant to my post and to the OP :blink:

Clarify what you mean, if you can..:jap: