D-Tracker 250 Dtx Klx250S Headlight Light Bulb Size?

ttakata

Hey guys, I'm in the US right now and want to get an HID light kit to replace my bike's high beam.

Turns out the Thai KLX250s / DTX 250 bikes have 2 light bulbs and the US versions have only one bulb.

There are over a dozen types of receptacles so my friend checked his Thai KLX250s manual and it makes no reference to the type of replacement bulbs the bike takes.

Figures, the Thai manual doesn't trust a Thai person to change a lightbulb.

I'm guessing it's an H4 receptacle and either 35 or 55 watts but I was hoping one of you may have replaced your high beam already and know a solid answer.

Or perhaps one of you speaks fluent Thai and can find out from a dealer.

I know the Rama 9 parts guys don't speak English too well.

I don't want to buy and carry the wrong HID kit back to BKK so any help would be appreciated.

FYI, great cheap kits here.

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Product-Categories/Motorcycle-HID-Kits-Lighting

Stock D-Tracker bulbs, here from 2009 to 2011, are Stanley Halogens 30w with the two soldered bumps for contacts (double contact bayonet?); the kind common with turn signals lights, scooter headlights, etc. The H4 as I know is the kind with 4 tab plugs.

I too have wanted to upgrade, and haven't found a solution with changing the whole headlight assembly. I did buy 2 55w bulbs at the piston shop that were a little bright, but of a different color that glared more with rainy roads. Also one died after just a few months and I'm back to running the Kawasaki bulbs.

Those kits looks nice, I've put HID kits in a couple of our family vehicles and enjoyed the results. But ballasts were huge in comparison to those. Wonder how to find a similar North American designation for these Thai bulbs.

At that price of 1400 baht a kit I would be interested too! Well plus the cost of the free beer I'll offer you for delivery! :jap:

Nice, thanks for the info.

The US spec bikes take an H4 so I'm glad I checked.

DDM lists an H6M receptacle so I may try that but I already ordered a 2000 lumen aux light so I may skip this.

I'm already bringing some GPS units and steering stabilizers for others on top of all my own gear so I can't help anyone else out on this trip.

Gulf Air only allows 37 kilos of luggage and charges $60 for each extra kilo!

I'm already past that weight and mailing myself stuff.

These are so cheap you should just order it because Thai customs probably won't bother you about it.

DDM lists an H6M receptacle so I may try that but I already ordered a 2000 lumen aux light so I may skip this.

I'm already bringing some GPS units and steering stabilizers for others on top of all my own gear so I can't help anyone else out on this trip.

These are so cheap you should just order it because Thai customs probably won't bother you about it.

Ok fine, no beer for you. :lol:

Wonder if dual 5000 lumens bulb would be too hot and too bright - maybe raising tempers of a late night, Samsong fuel, machete carrying scooter rider. Haven't considered motorcycle HID as my buddy shop, in Canada, was charging $90 per kit, at $60 an install; bit pricey when I rarely ride at night.

Ok fine, no beer for you. :lol:

Wonder if dual 5000 lumens bulb would be too hot and too bright - maybe raising tempers of a late night, Samsong fuel, machete carrying scooter rider. Haven't considered motorcycle HID as my buddy shop, in Canada, was charging $90 per kit, at $60 an install; bit pricey when I rarely ride at night.

probably too hot. In addition these bayonette bulbs do not create a stable and exactly defined light pattern, blinding others

So KB did you every come up with a solution i too have the same issue with my KLX, the lights are just useless at night, i am going to the UK in a few weeks and it's one of the things on my shopping list, maybe just replacing the headlight unit for a single bulb mounting would do the trick and then install an HID kit. The other option is fitting a pair of those LED / HD driving lights, they are not expensive in the UK, searching the web no real answers to be found.

So KB did you every come up with a solution i too have the same issue with my KLX, the lights are just useless at night, i am going to the UK in a few weeks and it's one of the things on my shopping list, maybe just replacing the headlight unit for a single bulb mounting would do the trick and then install an HID kit. The other option is fitting a pair of those LED / HD driving lights, they are not expensive in the UK, searching the web no real answers to be found.

exept for ecu derestricting I never modded my Dtracker

best solution for better lights is H4/H7 US/Euro headlight and HID kit. Less heat, more light, defined pattern