Can Falang Get A 20 Years Loan From Bank For Buying Condo

So you want a loan of 800k over 20 years, paying back about 4k a month...........why does Thailand attract such people.............

definite "high roller":lol:

but in answer to the ops question......in theory you can get a loan, I know of others that once meeting the banks lending requirements do get loans. The banks tend to require a higher down payment though ( around 30% I am told ) but for sure it is "do able "

So you want a loan of 800k over 20 years, paying back about 4k a month...........why does Thailand attract such people.............

but in answer to the ops question......in theory you can get a loan, I know of others that once meeting the banks lending requirements do get loans. The banks tend to require a higher down payment though ( around 30% I am told ) but for sure it is "do able "

So 800k less a 30% deposit leaves 560k over 20 years, thats just over 2k monthly payments........

The only way to do it, even if you have PR, is with a Thai guarantor.

So, if you are doing it because you don't want to put your money at risk, please be aware that you will leave some poor Thai on the hook while you make your escape. And without PR, the only way you can really get a loan on one is to be married. Of course, without PR, the condo has to be in the name of your Thai spouse until such time as you have completed payment, at which point, depending on your province, you may be able to get your name added to the chanote.

And a joint ownership between a foreigner without PR and his spouse will not be in the 49% foreign holding classification. That means, in the event of divorce, you have a mess, and could be forced to sell the unit.

However you look at it, an individual in Thailand is going to be left holding the bag. The bank is not going to give you the money without this assurance. If you have PR, then this individual could be anyone, and at least the condo can be in your name and only your name. If you don't have PR, the best you can hope for is joint ownership with a Thai, and that only after the mortgage is paid off. Until then, it will be Thai only.

The above applies to loans from banks within Thailand. In years past, certain banks like Bangkok Bank were willing to write loans out of their Singapore office for farangs working in Thailand, using the Thai property as collateral. It is my understanding this practice has been stopped, but it may still be possible under the right circumstances.

Edited by gregb

So 800k less a 30% deposit leaves 560k over 20 years, thats just over 2k monthly payments........

I like your bank !

Understate the capital repayment by 333 Baht and don't charge interest - where do I sign ?

what is PR??

i am only a tourist, dont work here

Permanent Resident....

To answer you question based on the facts given....in a nutshell...you havent got a hope in h*ll via a Thai bank getting a loan in your name....even with a Thai guarantor, WP etc etc.

Being married you still will not be able to get loan in your own name, the loan still needs to be in a Thai name

A Thai national can get a mortgage with a foreigner acting as a guarator but not the other way around.

I like your bank !

Understate the capital repayment by 333 Baht and don't charge interest - where do I sign ?

Guesstimate!!!.........

Guesstimate!!!.........

Understood :). Academic really because I doubt that the OP has a deposit.

For the record a 25% deposit of 200k would leave 600k to be financed over 20 years (at, say 10%) = 5,790 Baht p.m.

can't the OP establish a company, get the work permit, then apply for the loan? with 30% down and good credit back home i have heard UOB does such loans on condos.

Good credit back home means absolutely nothing...its exactly that "back home"

Not sure about UOB process....but the Thai banks....will not give a Farang a mortgage in their own name, even with a WP, company etc, however believe it may be possible to get a loan in the name of a company with a 49/51 Thai majority ownership, but think even then a Thai national's name would need to be on the loan.

The OP IMHO has two options...cough up the 800k cash or say where he is...

Why doesnt the OP apply for a mortgage/personal loan is his home country and get the cash that way, but I can well imagine the banks response when he tells them he is using the money to buy a condo in Thailand....:whistling:

good information Soutpeel. i heard from a realtor that when the Singapore branch of Bangkok Bank did these loans they needed a credit report from the client's home country but i do not know that to be fact and surely don't know how much weight these were given if they were required. also i do know that BB Singapore has stopped doing these loans as i recently e-mailed them about it. curious if anyone has any recent info on foreigners buying condos here.

Local bank lending is difficult, but there's at least one firm offering foreigners hire purchase agreements, for up to 30 years.

Min value 3million (no maximum)

Max loan amount 70%

Max term 30 years

Interest rate MLR + 2.5%

Importantly their arrangement satisfies BOT Regulations for buying condominiums (i.e. they bring in the cash from overseas etc). Google "hamptonsadvance"

(note I dont work their nor have any interest in their firm, but the structure looks promising although interest rate is high, but I felt was worth sharing so others can make their own investigations)

Edited by quiksilva

Local bank lending is difficult, but there's at least one firm offering foreigners hire purchase agreements, for up to 30 years.

The "firm" concerned is not a Thai bank or Financial institution, will not be called a mortgage but most likely a personnel loan's and would think the interest rates will be significantly higher than preveiling bank mortgage rate.....;)

The Bank of Thailand has a special division for people like the OP- the Tourist credit department. It is even managed by a nice foreign lady, Mrs. Helen Waite.

So- if you want a mortgage in Thailand, go to Helen Waite!

Like all things with Banks it all depends on your individual circumstances......

I was able to get a mortgage to buy a Bangkok Condo 5 years ago..... but I was working in Thailand at the time for a number of years for a European company - WP, PR etc

So it is possible - but not easy. When I left Thailand I continued to pay off the mortgage by just renting out the condo....

I got my mortgage thru SCB over 20 years, 70% mortgage provided.

HTH

The Bank of Thailand has a special division for people like the OP- the Tourist credit department. It is even managed by a nice foreign lady, Mrs. Helen Waite.

So- if you want a mortgage in Thailand, go to Helen Waite!

:cheesy: