Rabbit Farming

wdrk7

I tried to breed them for two years,between red ants stinging most of the new born to death,and cats and rats killing the majority of the remainder ,I gave up in disgust.

Thais will not eat them at any price, they eat dogs,rats snakes and any bug that moves but anything cute and cuddly like a bunny is a definate no no.

We decided that the only way to feasably breed them would be to shed them like deep litter chickens in expensive vermin proof sheds which would make them uneconomical.

You would need to establish a market with the expat community at a price of 500 baht per kg and upwards to be viable.

We have had short term success with our rabbits, purchased 5 about 3-4 months ago and last week we had 45, ( not counting the 10 we lost to ants) We have a completely enclosed 12x10 foot rabbit house, also covered by mosquito netting ( that has pr oven great in keeping pest out) My wife killed a cobra that was trying to get at the rabbits but could not find a way because of the netting.

Most Thais do not include rabbits in their menu, because rabbits are mostly kept as pets in Thailand. My wife sold 8 rabbits to village children and found an outlet that will buy all the baby rabbits we can provide them, the wife sold 20 to them last week, and our does are preparing their nest for the next litter. We got around the ant problem by placing earthen jugs around their enclosure half filled with sand, they have their babies in those jugs, we covered up any hole they dug, then they started using the jugs.

The rabbits we purchased were all grass (greens fed), I supplemented their diet with rabbit pellets, so they are not very expensive to keep.

Also they need all around protection from predators, I already had the house built where I kept my Rhode Island white roosters ( I know before you ask, at home those roosters are Red), that are now in my freezer.The cats and snakes are the worst offenders and my chain link fence around my property keeps the dogs out.

We have 7 new does ready to have their first litters, I may still get some rabbits for eating!

Attached are pictures of some of the Bunnie's the wife sold last week.

post-91962-0-85672600-1306629408_thumb.j

post-91962-0-42803300-1306629432_thumb.j

post-91962-0-71436600-1306629458_thumb.j

^ just tell them it's chicken ozzydom.

Or Cat ! ..... come to think of it, they probably don't eat Cat either :unsure:

My neighbour's Rabbits have out bred her enclosure. She does sell quite a few to pet shops. And has given my Kids a few.

We did lose one to a cat but cats don't seem to bother them when they get to equal size.

They would be almost free to feed but its just finding a market I guess.

Thanks for the Pictures of the Red Island White Roosters. I wondered what I had, now I know

Just thought I would add a picture of my Rhode Island white roosters!

Very nice, but where is the White one.:D

Just click on the first picture and it will enlarge and you can get a better view of the picture, They are predominately white but still have some brown feathers.

Hope that helps>:whistling:

Just thought I would add a picture of my Rhode Island white roosters!

Very nice, but where is the White one.:D

Just click on the first picture and it will enlarge and you can get a better view of the picture, They are predominately white but still have some brown feathers.

Hope that helps>:whistling:

Yes, we have something in Common, my pictures never turn out well either, or Chickens lay little Eggs that i prefer,i think they are White Whinedots :D

• 10 months later...