Can This Be Made In Aluminum ?

PETDCAT

I have this frame made from PVC pipe and it is about a meter square and I would like to replicate it in aluminum or other light weight material.The pipe size is about 1/2".Does anyone know if it is possible to buy aluminum pre made right angles similar to the PVC ones? Where would be the best palace to find the aluminum pipe? Thanks

Frame.jpg

What about the light weight aloy pipe that is used for hanging curtains . It has a silvery finish . It can be bought in 4m?? lengths and you may be able to get some plumbing fittings to join it all together.

I understand exactly what the OP means and the answer is; no, you can`t.

Have searched high and low over the years for more or less the same and never had any success.

I would guess that if we did discover somewhere that does actually sell this stuff, then it would be too expensive here in Chiang Mai to make this viable.

The closest thing to it that I found, are those heavy steel poles that are used for installing outdoor TV ariels, but again, very expensive.

Not sure what your final use and specs are but what about square tubular steel?...

There is a similar size in steel that is used to hold the rows on roof tiles in place...

There are many steel shops all around (North side of inner Moat)

Second is the places that make those blingy silver gates to order...

There is a place on Hang Dong road... from CM it is just past the HomePro intersection on the left.

You might look at EMT, the rigid tubing used for electrical conduit. Should be able to get Ls and Tees for it too. At the big supply houses Global etc.

Excellent idea, and with the EMT connectors the frame can be dis-assembled. All you need is a hack saw and a screw driver to put the frame together. Don't remember the price of the EMT but the connectors were around 9 Baht each a few years ago.

Thanks Beetle for that info .The heavy steel poles would be too heavy for the application I have in mind. Hopefully someone will pop up with a good source or an alternative.

...so,what is it for??...some more info may help...

It is going to have white nylon stretched across it and it is going to be used as a scrim.

scrim |skrim|

noun

strong, coarse fabric, chiefly used for heavy-duty lining or upholstery.

• Theater a piece of gauze cloth that appears opaque until lit from behind, used as a screen or backdrop.

• a similar heatproof cloth put over film or television lamps to diffuse the light.

Try "Square Aluminum" stock. You can get in different wall thickness. Widths in 1/2" to 1". Join the corners with a 90 degree steel brackets using either self threading machine screws or steel bolts w/nuts. You could even weld it but it will most likely warp. I know they have it here in Bangkok but don't know about your location.

I would use a thin walled stainless...lots of shops around can do a good job,easier than trying to find an aluminum welder...probably cheaper too...

For his little project you are probably right.

Why not look for a place local to you that makes aluminium framed mosquito screens for windows, they'd be able to do it while you wait - for next to nothing too.

I don't think you will find any aluminum in Thailand, or anywhere else in the world either, except in N. America! :):whistling:

As I said earlier,make it in the thin copper pipe they use for hotwater systems.You can get all the T's and corners same as the blue pipe and can buy at any shop that supply's to aircon installers.No need for soldering as it will fit tight.

Try the boat repair shop in Lumphun, it's the only single place I've seen different Aluminum extrusions in stock. I noticed they had the smaller diameter piping common in boat railings, which along with the screw together couplings might be what you required.

• 1 month later...

Get aluminum tubing, then use the PVC or EMT corner and T connectors with or without screws depending on how tight they fit. Shim them if necessary. Easy and fast.

Or use aluminum tubing and have the fittings made from aluminum at a shop. Fittings which allow for disassembly, not hard to figure out.

i got the same thing in my house look totally the same whhahaha made from PVC i use it as a frame for a pcs of green color cloth for my green screen effect when i take photo :)

whahahhahhahah go to visit a window frame maker that deal with installing window frame that is made from aluminum is pre-casted and the frame with be more rigid good luck .

Why complicate things?

As janverbeem has mentioned twice, buy copper tubing, corners and tees. Just as easy to make as the pvc one. Make sure you use straight copper tubing rather than tubing that comes in a coil. All that is required is a hack saw.

The first one I made with PVC worked great. Lightweight and sturdy enough. The only pieces that had to be glued were the horizontal cross pieces . The rest can be taken apart for storage or transportation. The frame made with the metal pipe used for electrical conduit was a bit larger. The joints were screwed together but are very loose even with the pipe drilled out. I haven't found a suitable way to do the cross bar. It needs to be broken down for transportation so welding is not an option. I just noticed Dantee99 suggestion to use aluminum tubing and have the fittings made from aluminum at a shop. Fittings which allow for disassembly.

I will keep my eyes open for a shop that does this.

Thanks all for your suggestions.

post-4680-0-59207400-1310379329_thumb.jp

post-4680-0-50425300-1310379238_thumb.jp

post-4680-0-33549900-1310379252_thumb.jp

post-4680-0-59125100-1310379267_thumb.jp

post-4680-0-92300800-1310379313_thumb.jp