Yingluck Vows To Implement Mega-Projects, Dams

Lite Beer

Yingluck vows to implement mega-projects, dams

By The Nation on Sunday

30156489-01.JPG

Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva yesterday took his election campaign to the heart of the Northeast while Pheu Thai's primeminister candidate Yingluck Shinawatra drew a huge crowd at Bangkok's Lumpini Park.

A huge crowd gathered to hear Pheu Thai's No 1 partylist candidate Yingluck. Thousands arrived at the venue at noon, braving the sun, to reserve space eight hours before Yingluck herself was scheduled to address the crowd.

"In the interests of the country's future, we will ensure investment in megainfrastructure projects," she said. She was referring to the party's plans to implement the doubletrack railroad programme and mass transit in Bangkok's adjacent provinces and other big cities as well as hispeed trains linking Bangkok and other provinces.

In addition, there will be megaproject dams for flood prevention and jobcreation programmes, Yingluck said, expressing confidence the party's policies are practical and can be implemented if it wins the election.

As the first female PM candidate, she said she might not be physically as strong as the male politicians, but she is ready to take on the challenge of the PM"s office.

"Don't worry about my brother [Thaksin Shinawatra]. The country must come first. That's the priority," she said.

Abhisit was in Ubon Ratchathani yesterday urging rural voters to choose his party, promising that farmers will benefit from the guaranteed agricultural price, 15year free school education and other policies of his government.

Abhisit said 4 million farmers would benefit if they voted for his party. He told the voters that there would be continuation of policies if his party stayed in power, and the country would not need to start from scratch again.

Senior Pheu Thai Party member Chalerm Yoobamrung said yesterday that if Pheu Thai wins, it will not exact revenge against all parties, except Abhisit and Suthep Thaugsuban who he believed were responsible for the deaths of 92 people in April and May last year.

Yingluck paid her respects before the statue of King Rama VI before addressing the enthusiastic crowd, who kept singing while waiting for her. Many redshirt products and memorabilia were also put up for sale around the rally site, with some setting up stalls next to the roads, leading to some traffic congestion.

Meanwhile, leader of the Rak Prathet Thai Party, Chuwit Kamolwisit, visted Udon Thani

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-05-29

Abhisit woos Northeast with pro-farmer policies

By The Nation on Sunday

30156478-01.jpg

Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva yesterday took his election campaign to the heart of the Northeast while Pheu Thai's prime minister candidate Yingluck Shinawatra drew a huge crowd at Bangkok's Lumpini Park.

Abhisit was in Ubon Ratchathani yesterday urging rural voters to choose his party, promising that farmers will benefit from the guaranteed agricultural price, 15-year free school education and other policies of his government.

Abhisit said 4 million farmers would benefit if they voted for his party. He told the voters that there would be continuation of policies if his party stayed in power, and the country would not need to start from scratch again.

Meanwhile, a huge crowd gathered at Bangkok's Lumpini Park to hear Pheu Thai's No 1 party-list candidate Yingluck. Thousands arrived at the venue at noon, braving the sun, to reserve space eight hours before Yingluck herself was scheduled to address the crowd.

Senior Pheu Thai Party member Chalerm Yoobamrung said yesterday that if Pheu Thai wins, it will not exact revenge on all parties, except Abhisit and Suthep Thaugsuban who he believed were responsible for the deaths of 92 people in April and May last year.

Yingluck was scheduled to speak at half past eight in the evening. She paid her respects before the statue of King Rama VI before addressing the enthusiastic crowd, who kept singing while waiting for her. Many red-shirt products and memorabilia were also put up for sale around the rally site, with some setting up stalls next to the roads, leading to some traffic congestion.

Meanwhile, leader of the Rak Prathet Thai Party, Chuwit Kamolwisit, visted Udon Thani province and pleaded with local voters to at least help elect him into Parliament so that he could serve as an opposition.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-05-29

Is there anything Ying-Luck can't do??? Improve the infrastructure with huge products, bring everyone out of debt, control the rice markets, give credit to those who don't know how to use it. Wait, I can think of one thing she can't do......tell the truth!!!!!

That rally yesterday was HUGE, and just another annoyance from the redshirts........

theres no mention of how these mega projects might be paid for though?

after they have given a 10,000 baht computer to 12 million students in their election promises, will there be any money left in the kitty?

Correct.....obviously Thais do not read foreign news - the 3 gorges dam project is a massive financial and ecological disaster.

Any more river dams anywhere on the planet are just going to wreck the place......more than it already is....

I got to say that is a much more flattering picture of Yingluck than Abhisit in his soiled shirt stuffing his mouth.

"In the interests of the country's future, we will ensure investment in megainfrastructure projects," she said. She was referring to the party's plans to implement the doubletrack railroad programme and mass transit in Bangkok's adjacent provinces and other big cities as well as hispeed trains linking Bangkok and other provinces.

I just came back from the capital yesterday by f.....in' train. I'm using trains for short distances to go to work in the northeast. A one hour train ride could take you three hours if the train then is actually really driving.

The double track and hi-speed trains is almost impossible to build now. Can you imagine a Chinese made hi speed train doing 300 km/h?

The whole route isn't made for a double track, so the whole story is just a joke like so many things in this country.

Where else can you go to school and you'll never fail? Later on those never failed guys become engineers who never fail.

I'm from a country where hi speed trains are available, but it took a long time to improve.

Do they really know what they're talking about? They can't obviously deal with their old railway system and making promises? :jap:

after they have given a 10,000 baht computer to 12 million students in their election promises, will there be any money left in the kitty?

I was just thinking what this country would look like if there wouldn't be so many foreigners spending fortunes.

Statistically is Burma 40 years behind Thailand. Easy to understand that the most money's coming from foreigners.

Thai do not produce things other countries want to buy, except rice.

But we still have to do the same visa process year after year, even living and working here for 10 years.

What a nonsense to believe that a notebook would make students to better students.

Shouldn't Thai English teachers be able to speak and understand English?

Students have to fail if they don't get it, to understand how bad it is to repeat one year. But is the educational system made for that? Nope.

To be perfectly honest, my Thai Head English teacher must switch to Thai to tell me what she wants.

And they're talking about notebooks for 12 million students, giant Dams, high speed trains and other nonsense..........

Edited by sirchai

I got to say that is a much more flattering picture of Yingluck than Abhisit in his soiled shirt stuffing his mouth.

I just came back from the capital yesterday by f.....in' train. I'm using trains for short distances to go to work in the northeast. A one hour train ride could take you three hours if the train then is actually really driving.

The double track and hi-speed trains is almost impossible to build now. Can you imagine a Chinese made hi speed train doing 300 km/h?

The whole route isn't made for a double track, so the whole story is just a joke like so many things in this country.

Where else can you go to school and you'll never fail? Later on those never failed guys become engineers who never fail.

I'm from a country where hi speed trains are available, but it took a long time to improve.

Do they really know what they're talking about? They can't obviously deal with their old railway system and making promises? :jap:

I am not saying these things are not possible financially but it is sad that there isn't debating done because I would love to see Abhisit ask her how she intends to fund all these projects along with the free credit cards they have promised to the poor. I don't know this women but judging from her past experience I don't think she has any clue at all how to go about getting these things done that she is promising. If we are to pretend she would really be the decision maker, it is very scary because this women would make George W. Bush look like a genius in terms of not being manipulated by your advisors for their own gain.

Abhisit is also a fool, if he loses, because he isn't asking for a panel debate in every single public speech and interview he does. Forget about how idiotic the last response was to this by her party in terms of a PM not needing to be a good speaker but are they also saying they don't need to have any brains? Stephen Hawking is clearly not adept at speaking but there are few people who believe he is not a genius. You either have ideas and knowledge or you don't and you can be a stutterer and still let people know you are smart.

I truly believe a panel debate is the only way to overcome these grand promises be made by her party.

Abhisit was in Ubon Ratchathani yesterday urging rural voters to choose his party, promising that farmers will benefit from the guaranteed agricultural price, 15-year free school education and other policies of his government.

A lot of people in Ubon Ratchathani are not from there. I doubt that rice farmers went to see him as he didn't promise them credit cards to purchase a Mercedes Benz tractor with air-con and a 500 Watt stereo system, ABS and Airbags.

But the 'stuffing his mouth' is an old traditional thing. People eat sticky rice and other delicious stuff with their hands. Nothing wrong with that.

Your statement isn't really cool, you can see Abhisit how he really is, even with some buffalo shit on his shirt three million times better than the woman with her brain sick older brother in her back, but well dressed.

I guess 15 years free education is more than just a promise about double track bla,bla..........:jap:

Edited by sirchai

Correct.....obviously Thais do not read foreign news - the 3 gorges dam project is a massive financial and ecological disaster.

Any more river dams anywhere on the planet are just going to wreck the place......more than it already is....

That's just Yingluck strongest point,most of her supporters wouldn't be able to read the news if it was written in Thai.

I am not saying these things are not possible financially but it is sad that there isn't debating done because I would love to see Abhisit ask her how she intends to fund all these projects along with the free credit cards they have promised to the poor. I don't know this women but judging from her past experience I don't think she has any clue at all how to go about getting these things done that she is promising. If we are to pretend she would really be the decision maker, it is very scary because this women would make George W. Bush look like a genius in terms of not being manipulated by your advisors for their own gain.

Abhisit is also a fool, if he loses, because he isn't asking for a panel debate in every single public speech and interview he does. Forget about how idiotic the last response was to this by her party in terms of a PM not needing to be a good speaker but are they also saying they don't need to have any brains? Stephen Hawking is clearly not adept at speaking but there are few people who believe he is not a genius. You either have ideas and knowledge or you don't and you can be a stutterer and still let people know you are smart.

I truly believe a panel debate is the only way to overcome these grand promises be made by her party.

I totally agree with you. The problem is that too many people in this country are undereducated, the educational system is a joke and people in this country don't realize that Abhisit's plans are made with a brain.

The sad thing is that all the cab drivers in Bangkok and farmers believe that all promises made by Yingluck will come true.

They should build a big dam around Yingluck's house......................:jap:

Edited by sirchai

A lot of people in Ubon Ratchathani are not from there. I doubt that rice farmers went to see him as he didn't promise them credit cards to purchase a Mercedes Benz tractor with air-con and a 500 Watt stereo system, ABS and Airbags.

But the 'stuffing his mouth' is an old traditional thing. People eat sticky rice and other delicious stuff with their hands. Nothing wrong with that.

Your statement isn't really cool, you can see Abhisit how he really is, even with some buffalo shit on his shirt three million times better than the woman with her brain sick older brother in her back, but well dressed.

I guess 15 years free education is more than just a promise about double track bla,bla..........:jap:

I was a bit surprised to see him in this light because almost always he is looking presidential (or PM-ish). But you have got a good point as it certainly is a good look in terms of showing himself as one of the people. I am just used to western politicians rolling up the sleeves of their dress shirt to appear more like one of the people ... not going out with a stained shirt.

I am much more of a BKK person and don't venture out into the sticks too much except to the south. I've seen the wrist wraps Abhisit is wearing before but not often. What are they? I'm assuming he is wearing them to also show his relation to the average voter there and/or his connection to Thailand culture but curious to know more about what they are or represent.

Edited by Nisa

One need only point to the vast improvement in the Thai railway-system, under the previous TRT-governments, or the PPP-led coalition-governments of PM-Samak & PM-Somchai, to see how well they will be able to deliver on this particular problem. :unsure:

That entire Yingluck hysteria reminds me of the time when her brother first raised his "Thai Rak Thai" banner and the whole country broke out in Thaksin frenzy as he promised Thailand golden times. Many souls soon calmed down rather quickly and became disillusioned when they realized that all those mega projects were riddled with corruption and "irregularities", that Thaksin was systematically filling important state posts with his cronies and family members, gagged the press, embarked on a disastrous "War on Drugs" and was well on his way to establish a quasi-dictatorship with himself as the one and only authority.

I can't help but experience a feeling of deja vu when observing the current Yingluck-mania: "Same same, but (not so) different", so to speak.

Well, perhaps we should give Yingluck a chance to prove that she's not her brother's clone. And if things should turn out badly, we can still stage a coup. Then we go through a few more or less legitimate governments until the next self-styled Messiah emerges who can be worshipped by those who never learn from the past, at which point the cycle closes and starts all over again.

I was a bit surprised to see him in this light because almost always he is looking presidential (or PM-ish). But you have got a good point as it certainly is a good look in terms of showing himself as one of the people. I am just used to western politicians rolling up the sleeves of their dress shirt to appear more like one of the people ... not going out with a stained shirt.

I am much more of a BKK person and don't venture out into the sticks too much except to the south. I've seen the wrist wraps Abhisit is wearing before but not often. What are they? I'm assuming he is wearing them to also show his relation to the average voter there and/or his connection to Thailand culture but curious to know more about what they are or represent.

Abhisit is English educated and very rich. He probably should fit in well in rich Bangkok but he can't even do that. This man has not delivered and deserves to go. The Thai people see him for what he is and don't want him. Get ready for a new Prime minister that the people actually have voted for. The rich in bangkok won't like it but they are not the majority in Thailand. All that bad Karma that Abhisit did to the red shirts is coming back to him som nam naa! Start packing your bags Oxford boy the people don't want you (and never did)

3 gorges is the mega of mega projects, and yes it has problems but a disaster it is not. The problems caused must be balanced against the plus side - 22,500 MW of free power with 9000 tonnes per HOUR of coal NOT burnt in the world's largest CO2 producer. Flood mitigation, irrigation supply and eased navigation are minor gains in comparison but still notable.

Abundant power, reduced carbon emissions and hydro dams - without the 3rd you get only one of the first two. Before you quote the UN World Dams Report, understand that the small section equating hydro dams and coal-fired power stations is a laughable piece of junk pseudo-science.:bah:

Abhisit is English educated and very rich. He probably should fit in well in rich Bangkok but he can't even do that. This man has not delivered and deserves to go. The Thai people see him for what he is and don't want him. Get ready for a new Prime minister that the people actually have voted for. The rich in bangkok won't like it but they are not the majority in Thailand. All that bad Karma that Abhisit did to the red shirts is coming back to him som nam naa! Start packing your bags Oxford boy the people don't want you (and never did)

Yingluck is US educated and very, very rich. She must fit in well in rich Bangkok, with her 2500 m2 football pitch for her son.

Abhisit has been in power for 2 years, delivering Thailand through the GFC and 2 years of violent protests.

Will the PTP voters get the PM that they vote for if the PTP get into government? The PTP haven't even decided who it's going to be.

If the Democrats get into government, the red shirts won't like it, but they are not the majority in Thailand. All that bad karma that the red shirts did to the country will come back to them, but they won't learn, because they will continue fighting for their "Red Democracy" (Do what we want, even though we aren't the majority. We are "peaceful protesters" with an armed militia.)

Edited by whybother

The "wrist wraps" are pieces of string tied on by well-wishers, often on important occasions such as your wedding or when going on a trip. It is considered bad manners/luck/karma/whatever to remove them intentionally, and the bloody things can last for a month or so. You really don't get out much, do you.

I wouldn't worry too much about the consequence of the proposed mega-projects. Why not, you ask? Well, here's how it will go:

1. Any currently approved mega-projects (for instance, Bangkok's subway routes) will be canceled, probably on the grounds that they are not the routes that people really need, and new routes will be proposed.

2. Various Engineering and Consulting firms will spend a year or two (and quite a few billion baht) studying the new routes and planning them. Needless to say, those firms will be owned by friends and families of PT government officials.

3. The new routes will be finalized, based on where the most land that is owned by friends and relatives of Govt officials is (remember that land appropriation is often compensated at higher than market value, especially if the landowners hire the local mafia to do their negotation).

4. The first three steps will take about 3 - 4 years and it will then be time for another election. In the unlikely event that Bangkok actually votes for a large number of PT PMs, one or two of the projects may actually start. However, if the majority of people in Bangkok vote the way they have in the past, any remaining time until the election will be taken up in bids for financing, rail laying, train cars, etc..., which will, of course provide plenty of backhanded income for the officials involved.

5. My last prediction: if PT does win this election, which is a distinct possibility, 3 - 4 years from now I will quote this post proceeded by the words "I told you so!" :annoyed:

Smooth move, taking credit for projects already underway. I'm sure everyone will forget about mass transit being blocked because people voted for the 'wrong' party

Is there anything Ying-Luck can't do??? Improve the infrastructure with huge products, bring everyone out of debt, control the rice markets, give credit to those who don't know how to use it. Wait, I can think of one thing she can't do......tell the truth!!!!!

That rally yesterday was HUGE, and just another annoyance from the redshirts........

This is why she is avoiding an confrontation with Abhisit. He would tear her apart in minuets. As surely he must do anyway before 3rd July?

jb1

The "wrist wraps" are pieces of string tied on by well-wishers, often on important occasions such as your wedding or when going on a trip. It is considered bad manners/luck/karma/whatever to remove them intentionally, and the bloody things can last for a month or so. You really don't get out much, do you.

Thanks for the reply.

FYI, my Thai/Buddhist wife tells me they can be removed after 3-days but you aren't supposed to cut them but rather slip them off. Says you usually only see them applied during certain times in the temples in the city. And as I stated earlier .. no, I don't venture into the sticks/farmlands too much. Unless there is a beach, I prefer to stay around more modern amenities and facilities regardless of the country I am..

Did you see it first hand? Any guess if the majority who came out are actually from BKK or were bused in?

Did you see it first hand? Any guess if the majority who came out are actually from BKK or were bused in?

No need to bus in people. Lots of PTP supporters live in Bangkok. They may need to go upcountry to vote though.

landofthefree - from your post "Get ready for a new Prime minister that the people actually have voted for. "

You may be in shock to know that Thai people do not vote to elect the prime minister. Thailand does not have the election system that elects a prime minister.

landofthefree - from your post "Get ready for a new Prime minister that the people actually have voted for. "

You may be in shock to know that Thai people do not vote to elect the prime minister. Thailand does not have the election system that elects a prime minister.

of course. :whistling:

Like everyone should be know by now that PM Abhisit was not elected by the people.

Edited by samurai