I Have No Clue What This Means?

bankha

Hello,

Sorry if in wrong forum or if all i can say this on here but does anybody know what (go hock) means in Thai not to sure correct spelling just write as i here it.

I already think something not good but would like to know 100%

Cheers

Paul

bkk,

If thats correct i have f****d up on alot of my thinking.

Cheers

Its what it means but it depends in what context and by who it is said and you relation to that person. If a total stranger says it is much more hash as if it is said playfully.

there are 3 ways to say it....lob-luang is a polite way. go-hok is a direct way and doh-lae is an impolite way...Best never to use the workd doh-lae..:jap: all mean liar.

Edited by Debothai

As already been said, it all depends on how it is said and in what context. For example... You are with a lovely gal and you say to her..."You are most beautiful girl in the world" and she replies to you with a shy smile "You are a liar". She isn't mad at you, and accepts your compliment, but says it isn't true. Body language, facial expressions and the eyes should tell you what they mean.

As Rob says, it could be used in a friendly way. Listen out for something that sounds like dol-air which has a similar but much less friendly meaning/usage.

as in you're full of bullshit !

but this could be used in a friendly way also.

example :your with a mate telling a story and he tells you you are bullshitting him. not that unusual. Any bad word can be okay amongst friends. I call my mates cun_ts all the time, and they are !

As Rob says, it could be used in a friendly way. Listen out for something that sounds like dol-air which has a similar but much less friendly meaning/usage.

example :your with a mate telling a story and he tells you you are bullshitting him. not that unusual. Any bad word can be okay amongst friends. I call my mates cun_ts all the time, and they are !

True i heard it many times being used by friends of my wife in the group. No problems there but just don't use it out of your group in an unfriendly way. Among close friends not a problem.

True i heard it many times being used by friends of my wife in the group. No problems there but just don't use it out of your group in an unfriendly way. Among close friends not a problem.

I've said it to my wife many times and she to me. It's okay in a jokey way, but like you say, to a stranger or a stranger to you........ not so good.

Do they think your a " Hii " too.:lol:

I expect they do.

Reminds me of a party in Brighton years ago. Having overindulged on the D+D front I passed out until the morning. Stumbling through BTN town centre the next morning little did I realise that someone had written cun_t in permament black marker on my forehead. Feeling the paranoia from last night's intake I did find it strange why everyone was looking at me and laughing. Trying to avoid peoples' stares I looked into a shop window where I saw what had happened. Got to laugh about it really. Still had my eyebrows though !!

I expect they do.

Reminds me of a party in Brighton years ago. Having overindulged on the D+D front I passed out until the morning. Stumbling through BTN town centre the next morning little did I realise that someone had written cun_t in permament black marker on my forehead. Feeling the paranoia from last night's intake I did find it strange why everyone was looking at me and laughing. Trying to avoid peoples' stares I looked into a shop window where I saw what had happened. Got to laugh about it really. Still had my eyebrows though !!

Nice one.:D

this is like Thai slang word and from my understanding (from friends and family) it should really not be used at all, bcoz it is very rude and plus the user is thought to be very low class.. it is used by Thais among friends but even then it can be misread and fights can break out.. I'm told Farangs should never use this type of language becasue a) we lower ourselves in the eyes of the receiver and B) we dont know what is an "appropriate" time to use it..

JMTCW,, (just my two cents worth)

Body language, facial expressions and the eyes should tell you what they mean.

I have given many a cop a flashing smile to accompany my homily to 'Va t'en. I haven't got a wai back but nobody has taken umbrage - yet.

Hello,

Sorry if in wrong forum or if all i can say this on here but does anybody know what (go hock) means in Thai not to sure correct spelling just write as i here it.

I already think something not good but would like to know 100%

Cheers

Paul

It means you need to learn some basic Thai :)

there are 3 ways to say it....lob-luang is a polite way. go-hok is a direct way and doh-lae is an impolite way...Best never to use the workd doh-lae..:jap: all mean liar.

Dol air or Doh lae means bull shit.

lob-luand means you tell the truth

go kok means lie.

All depends on which Thai district you came from.

this is like Thai slang word and from my understanding (from friends and family) it should really not be used at all, bcoz it is very rude and plus the user is thought to be very low class.. it is used by Thais among friends but even then it can be misread and fights can break out.. I'm told Farangs should never use this type of language becasue a) we lower ourselves in the eyes of the receiver and B) we dont know what is an "appropriate" time to use it..

JMTCW,, (just my two cents worth)

yet again someone is perpetuating the myth that " Hi-So " or " Me-So" ( how I hate this word ) Thais do not use coarse or vulgar language. Maybe not in public where everyone has to appear " riaproi ' .

can't remember too many fights breaking out over its use also. " fuc_k your mother " for sure but not for callimg someone a bullshitter.